• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

buslad1988

I've noticed it as well...
I was thinking that it could be a combination of:
~ bus running so late it's going off service and resuming service somewhere else
~ no driver available to take over bus (due to any number of issues)
Definitely a combination of both - but more so the latter. Same situation at Marine with ‘Part Route’ King’s Road buses. Hopefully the service change this Sunday will help the situation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I've noticed it as well...
I was thinking that it could be a combination of:
~ bus running so late it's going off service and resuming service somewhere else
~ no driver available to take over bus (due to any number of issues)
The latter the more likely case considering the amount of shorts starting from the terminus west of Longstone you can’t really turn a bus 5/10 minutes into an hour long journey

Darklord8899

The latter the more likely case considering the amount of shorts starting from the terminus west of Longstone you can’t really turn a bus 5/10 minutes into an hour long journey
I was on a 3 a week or so ago that after the driver change at Parkhead, he was told to go off service at Clovenstone, run to South Bridge, then resume service from there to Mayfield, the bus was *that* late.

Been on a couple that were going full route to Clovenstone when I boarded and got messages to go part route and turn at Westside Plaza

CN04NRJ

Established Member
The Wright integral EV demo has arrived from Newport Bus (at Central) and will apparently be used in service. Photo used with permission of it being loaded in Newport.

received_344174527917349.jpeg

Lothian is looking for their next Charity of Choice, whoever is picked, will they replace the one on bus 401 and feature on that bus or will it be another bus?

Andyh82

Established Member
I know the locals in this thread probably have no end of complaints, and to be fair I had a few journeys that went missing, but having just returned from a few days in Edinburgh, I have to say Lothian does continue to look like a smart operation. The fact all buses now have identical white destination displays looks impressive, and also the buses generally look clean and shiny, including the silver wheel trims. They all look like they’ve been repainted in recent weeks, or at least waxed. They don’t look battle scared like the First buses that also travel along Princes Street.

One negative with only displaying the ultimate destination. I noticed some American tourists waiting down at Ocean Terminal for a bus back up to the city centre. They seemed to be waiting for a bus displaying something familiar (Edinburgh, Princes Street, City Centre etc) and of course one never came. Maybe some extra info could be displayed on the bus or on posters. I know it won’t be an issue when the tram starts but there are probably other examples.

Also has the bottom of the Royal Mile, Holyrood area always had such a poor service. Only one bus service goes down there and it doesn’t go anywhere near Princes Street?

Mal

I know the locals in this thread probably have no end of complaints, and to be fair I had a few journeys that went missing, but having just returned from a few days in Edinburgh, I have to say Lothian does continue to look like a smart operation. The fact all buses now have identical white destination displays looks impressive, and also the buses generally look clean and shiny, including the silver wheel trims. They all look like they’ve been repainted in recent weeks, or at least waxed. They don’t look battle scared like the First buses that also travel along Princes Street.

One negative with only displaying the ultimate destination. I noticed some American tourists waiting down at Ocean Terminal for a bus back up to the city centre. They seemed to be waiting for a bus displaying something familiar (Edinburgh, Princes Street, City Centre etc) and of course one never came. Maybe some extra info could be displayed on the bus or on posters. I know it won’t be an issue when the tram starts but there are probably other examples.

Also has the bottom of the Royal Mile, Holyrood area always had such a poor service. Only one bus service goes down there and it doesn’t go anywhere near Princes Street?
As an exilled Edinburgher, I find that the buses just don't have that 'iEdinburgh identity' now that they only show rhe destination. There was a trial some time ago with LED screens that showed 3 or 4 intermediate points (eg Leith Walk, Princes Street, Gorgie), destination and route number, but someone seemed to decide that only showing the destination was good enough! I mind the days of full displays and tramboards as well to give passengers as much info as possible. Not now, it seems!

Andyh82

Established Member
Does anyone have a quick list of which services run from which depot?

Are the single deck services run by single deckers due to low bridges (I'm aware of the bridge on service 30) or just due to low passenger volumes?

I also noted an E400XLB on service 22 which I assume is fairly unusual? I didn't see how well it spun around on Regent Road though

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Are the single deck services run by single deckers due to low bridges (I'm aware of the bridge on service 30) or just due to low passenger volumes?
30 & 38 are low bridge, the rest are probably due to passenger numbers and used where can be best.

I also noted an E400XLB on service 22 which I assume is fairly unusual? I didn't see how well it spun around on Regent Road though
Fairly common now, appears every day or two.

Does anyone have a quick list of which services run from which depot?

Lothian
Central: 1, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 19 (evening), 22, 23, 24, 27, 29, 31, 37, 41, 44 (some runs), 47 & 100
Longstone: 3, 25, 30, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38, 44 (most runs), 200, 300 & 400
Marine: 2, 4, 5, 19, 21, 25, 26, 42, 45, 48 & 49

Night services all Central bar the N22, N30, N31 & N44. All express services are operated by central, except the X26 which is run by Marine, X33 mainly by Longstone but with one Central run and X44 which is mainly Central but has one run operated by Marine.

East Coast Buses
Musselburgh: 106, 113, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 139, 140, X5, X6, X7, N106, N113 & N124
North Berwick stores some buses after completing services X5, X7, 106 & 124.

Lothian Country
Livingston: 43, 276, 280, X18, X27, X28, N28 & N43

Tours are stored at Marine.

Please correct me if there are any inaccuracies.

Last edited:

eh1

The 30 and 38 are the only routes that require a single deck due to low bridges. The 1,2,12,36 and 42 tend to use them due to lower volume however it seems deckers have appeared on the 36 most evenings recently.

InOban

Established Member
it's so long since I've had a reason to go along that way I didn't know there was a roundabout.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
it's so long since I've had a reason to go along that way I didn't know there was a roundabout.

Just so happens I'm there right now so here's a picture of it.

20220724_230445.jpg

Also to the above posts, its been mentioned before that the XLBs are these monster vehicles that struggle to maneuver. They're really easy to get around the city - if you think Waterloo place is bad you should see the latest "turning circle" at the Ocean Terminal!

Bus9120UK

Established Member
if you think Waterloo place is bad you should see the latest "turning circle" at the Ocean Terminal!
There's a video on flickr of an XLB manouvering this turning circle here for those interested.
(Link opens flickr page containing video of 1094 looping round the "turning circle" at Ocean Terminal. Uploaded by Callum Colville, all credits to them)

I assume this is the same one you are referring too, unless it has since changed?

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Just so happens I'm there right now so here's a picture of it.

View attachment 118162

Also to the above posts, its been mentioned before that the XLBs are these monster vehicles that struggle to maneuver. They're really easy to get around the city - if you think Waterloo place is bad you should see the latest "turning circle" at the Ocean Terminal!
Ah, but drivers are unskilled morons who couldn't possibly have the slightest inkling about how to manoeuvre such a large vehicle... ;)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
There's a video on flickr of an XLB manouvering this turning circle here for those interested.
(Link opens flickr page containing video of 1094 looping round the "turning circle" at Ocean Terminal. Uploaded by Callum Colville, all credits to them)

I assume this is the same one you are referring too, unless it has since changed?

It's changed again, it's closer to the bus stops now and much more awkward.

Lothian_Bus

Sorry again but what's happening with fleet/route allocations at the moment? There was a while where everything was stable and seemed to be working well (which is what I remember, see below) but using the history function of lvf.io today to look at the past week, the allocations seem to have all changed? Like the 37 was completely XLBs for ages but lvf.io is saying it was mostly B5/E400s last week? And the 25 was completely B5/E400s for ages but lvf.io is saying is was mostly hybrids and Zoo B5s last week?

Spoiler: table of services and what I remember them being previously allocated.
RoutePrevious allocationNew allocation/changes
1S/d but sometimes d/d. Usually 7900s.
2S/d but sometimes d/d. Usually 7900s.
3D/d B5/E400s.
4D/d short-wheelbase B9/Gemini 2s.
5D/d B5/Gemini 2s. Usually 951-960.D/d short-wheelbase B9/Gemini 2s.
7D/d B8/E400XLBs.
8D/d B5/Gemini 3s. Usually 1051-1062.B9/Gemini 2s.
10D/d B9/Gemini 3s.
11D/d B8/E400XLBs.
12S/d but sometimes d/d. Usually 7900s.
14D/d.
15D/d B9/Gemini 3s.Seems to be randomly allocated short B9s, long B9s, B5s and B8s?
16D/d B8/E400XLBs.
19D/d.
21D/d B5/E400s.
22D/d B5/Gemini 3s, usually 441-465.
23D/d E400EVs.
24D/d B9/Gemini 3s.
25D/d B5/E400s.Seems to be hybrids and Zoo B5s?
26D/d B5/Gemini 3s. Usually 466-495.
27D/d B8/E400XLBs.Seems to be mostly B5s 1051-1062?
29D/d.
30S/d B8/Evora's.
31D/d B8/E400XLBs.Seems to be mostly B5s 441-465?
33D/d.
34D/d B5H/Gemini 3s.
35D/d B5H/Gemini 3s.
36S/d.
37D/d B8/E400XLBs.Seems to be mostly B5s 426-437 and B5/E400s?
38S/d.
41D/d.
42S/d 7900s.
44D/d B5/E400s.
45S/d but sometimes d/d. Usually 7900s.Seems to be fairly random but with a lot of B9s?
47D/d.B8/E400XLBs?
48D/d.Seems to be mainly short-wheelbase B9s?
49D/d.B5/Gemini 3s mostly 401-425?
The 25 and 33 have swapped back again today so the 25 is mainly E400s again.

I did wonder what would happen with the 44 as it is a split depot operation now but it remains all E400s from Longstone and Central.

eh1

Yep, it's probably worse now I think. Large opening on the left, loop round into a little road with the high fences either side. A lot of the tram works are getting tighter by the day and it's ridiculous.

Lothian_Bus

30 & 38 are low bridge, the rest are probably due to passenger numbers and used where can be best.

Fairly common now, appears every day or two.

Lothian
Central: 1, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 19 (evening), 22, 23, 24, 27, 29, 31, 37, 41, 44 (some runs), 47 & 100
Longstone: 3, 25, 30, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38, 44 (most runs), 200, 300 & 400
Marine: 2, 4, 5, 19, 21, 25, 26, 42, 45, 48 & 49

Night services all Central bar the N22, N30, N31 & N40. All express services central bar the X26 at Marine, X33 at Longstone & I believe X37 has shared runs with Marine.

East Coast Buses
Musselburgh: 106, 113, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 139, 140, X5, X6, X7, N106, N113 & N124
North Berwick stores some buses after completing services X5, X7, 106 & 124.

Lothian Country
Livingston: 43, 276, 280, X18, X27, X28, N28 & N43

Tours are stored at Marine.

Please correct me if there are any inaccuracies.
Excellent summary. The only thing off the top of my head is one evening X44 is run by Marine and the split of the 25 is about 3-4 buses from Marine Monday-Friday with all others across the week from Longstone.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Excellent summary. The only thing off the top of my head is one evening X44 is run by Marine and the split of the 25 is about 3-4 buses from Marine Monday-Friday with all others across the week from Longstone.
That'll be correct. Part route 42 to Leith which then turns into an X44. There are also peak time buses operated by Marine, one in the morning that comes off an X26 and another in the evening which changes onto an X26. Isn't there also some that come off / change onto 21's?

duncanp

Established Member
As an exilled Edinburgher, I find that the buses just don't have that 'iEdinburgh identity' now that they only show rhe destination. There was a trial some time ago with LED screens that showed 3 or 4 intermediate points (eg Leith Walk, Princes Street, Gorgie), destination and route number, but someone seemed to decide that only showing the destination was good enough! I mind the days of full displays and tramboards as well to give passengers as much info as possible. Not now, it seems!

I remember when living in Edinburgh the screen at the front of the bus would be split into 3 sections showing the route number, route through the city centre and final destination.

eg. "44", "Haymarket, Princes Street, Meadowbank", "Juniper Green". (Yes it was a long time ago when the 44 terminated at Juniper Green)

The move to just showing the number and the final destination is part of the decline in the quality of information provided, and assumes that people know where the bus goes already.

One example in Edinburgh is where the 25 and 34 both run Westbound along Princes Street to end up at Riccarton Campus, but take completely different routes in getting there.

And then there is the situation where the driver forgets to change the destination blind at the terminus.