• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I'm looking for some clarification regarding a batch of Enviro400s purchased by the Wellglade group (Notts & Derby and TM Travel). These being the following:

1401 HY61 BUS
1402 LB61 BUS
1403 LB61 HYB
1404 SN11 EES
1405 SN61 BBF
1406 SN61 BBJ
1407 SN61 BBK
1408 SN61 BBO
1409 SN61 BBU
1410 SN61 BBV
1411 SN61 BBX
1412 SN61 BBZ
1413 SN61 BCE
1414 SN61 BCF
1415 SN61 BCK

I'm looking for some information such as what engines they have; when they were converted from hybrid electric vehicles to fully diesel; and if Lothian still operate any of these and how they're doing since the ones here seem to have engines far too small for the size of the vehicle. Cheers!

4.5L 4 cylinder Cummins that provided the diesel power when they were diesel. ZF Ecolife gearboxes mated to it after the conversion.

I liked driving them personally as they were unusual but they were atrocious on even the smallest incline.

As thought.. but contradicts what was said by a Longstone driver a few days ago!

No agency staff.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

H00V3R

At the same time the school services 125-128 were removed. Is it temporarily because of the holidays, or are Lothian no longer operating them?
I believe the schools finished yesterday, they are usually removed for the summer holidays if I remember.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Don’t they start tomorrow?
70 and 71 run 7 days a week, and changes occur on a Sunday.
So far it seems that it's B5LHs on the 70 and 71, which is unsurprising but I'm not sure the demand justifies them.
I'm not 100% but are the limits on these routes no more than 40? May be worth putting faster vehicles on routes with higher limits.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I think Lothian integrating Eve Coaches into the network is a brilliant idea that often goes unnoticed. I recently took a day trip to North Berwick on the 124 bus, spent a few hours there, and then took the 120 bus to Dunbar, enjoying great views of Tantallon Castle and Tyninghame. After spending a few hours in Dunbar, I finally took the X7 back to Edinburgh, all under the same Dayticket.

It's a real shame Lothian didn't advertise this more, along with the Council tender changes. If I hadn't followed Eve Coaches on Facebook or this forum, I swear I wouldn't have known about it.

CSB0241

On Moderation
Services 20 & 32 started today. Service 20 has bus 75, whilst service 32 has bus 22 & bus 27.
I do think it’s odd that the 20 got 75, when the 32 only got the Volvo 7900Hs, but I digress.

I took the 32 this morning from the Gyle Centre to Cramond to see how passenger numbers were on the new section. The bus pulled in about 2 minutes late to the Gyle, & the bus only had about 4 or 5 people onboard, with one getting off, but there was a queue of about 20 people getting on (myself included). The bus was still very busy until Cammo, when about 6 people got off. From there, people gradually got off roughly every other stop. Overall though, the route was solid, & it seems to be well used on the new section.

Last edited by a moderator:

stevenedin

Established Member
I do think it’s odd that the 20 got 75, when the 32 only got the V7900Hs, but I digress.

I took the 32 this morning from the Gyle Centre to Cramond to see how passenge numbers were on the new section. The bus pulled in about 2 minutes late to the Gyle, & the bus only had about 4 or 5 people onboard, with one getting off, but there was a queue of about 20 people getting on (myself included). The bus was still very busy until Cammo, when about 6 people got off. From there, people gradually got off roughly every other stop. Overall though, the route was solid, & it seems to be well usef on the new section.
It could be that they just allocate the route to single deckers and will give it anything available in the depot.

That’s great news about the 32. I think it will be popular for people heading to the Gyle as there wasn’t a current link from Maybury, Cammo or Cramond and now that it has been restored, hopefully more people will use it. There is this mindset of people in Edinburgh that if it’s not a Lothian bus, it doesn’t exist and as unfortunate as that is, at least now they have a Lothian route here. I don’t remember any Lothian bus here since the 24 or was it 24A went to Cramond from the Gyle?

A330Alex

With the level of development in that area of Edinburgh, the 32 feels like a very good candidate to become commercially operated in the future.

Given that, I think it’s quite unfortunate it doesn’t operate on Sundays. Makes it that bit less easy to rely on/build habits around.

I could see the route being diverted into the new West Craigs development too once the Craigs Road junction is complete.

Does anyone know the usual allocations of the Eve Coaches Services and if they've been running on time as I am planning a trip that uses the 120, 121 & 123 and require this information.

overthewater

Established Member
Has there been any talk of improvements for West Lothian area when the school go back? New buses are coming in for the city which should free up stock for Livingston depot. Plenty of new drivers are also coming into the company, So what stopping the improvement happening?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I do think it’s odd that the 20 got 75, when the 32 only got the Volvo 7900Hs, but I digress.

I took the 32 this morning from the Gyle Centre to Cramond to see how passenger numbers were on the new section. The bus pulled in about 2 minutes late to the Gyle, & the bus only had about 4 or 5 people onboard, with one getting off, but there was a queue of about 20 people getting on (myself included). The bus was still very busy until Cammo, when about 6 people got off. From there, people gradually got off roughly every other stop. Overall though, the route was solid, & it seems to be well used on the new section.
Lets see how it is in a few months when it settles in, the X40 used to get around 10 people the whole route the first month or two the one i had today had a half full decker load leaving The Centre and around 15 people get on at the Royal infirmary for its return journey

mb88

Why doesn't the X27/X28 go into the Hermiston Park& Ride?
I know it's possibly due to the running time.
Maybe another reason?
I’d say it’s mainly to make the journey quicker for passengers travelling to and from West Lothian. Multiple options already exist from the P&R into town on City services.

Baileygirl

Why doesn't the X27/X28 go into the Hermiston Park& Ride?
I know it's possibly due to the running time.
Maybe another reason?
Going west, going through the Park and Ride is straight forward, in and out, but going east takes a lot longer as you have to go up Riccarton Mains Road and turn back to get to the west entrance. Used to do that with First, it took ages going East at busy times.

Last edited:

Auld reekie

I’d say it’s mainly to make the journey quicker for passengers travelling to and from West Lothian. Multiple options already exist from the P&R into town on City services.
Going west there is only the X40.

Going west, going through the Park and Ride is straight forward, in and out, but going east takes a lot longer as you have to go up Curriehill Road and turn back to get to the west entrance. Used to do that with First, it took ages going East at busy times.
You wouldn't have to go up Curriehill Road.