• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
That does look to be the case.

Had a look at at BusTimes and only 2 or 3 double decker buses haven’t operated a single service today, one of those being 997. Would that indicate that it isn’t ready for/ being used for service or is it just a coincidence?

997 is back at central with ticket machine and other equipment fitted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunsBus

Established Member
932 has been photographed at Seafield receiving open top conversion.
Got the front from fire-damaged 405 which has now been broken up. It was intended to convert 405 to electric in-house but Lothian couldn't get the required licence.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Got the front from fire-damaged 405 which has now been broken up. It was intended to convert 405 to electric in-house but Lothian couldn't get the required licence.
How does that work when Gemini 2 and Gemini 3 have different spec?

overthewater

Established Member
Is there any plans for the no72 to be revised to operate via New link road which opened today in Winchburgh?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
How does that work when Gemini 2 and Gemini 3 have different spec?

The front end is very similar dimensions (or the same?), the rear is different- 426 onwards have the full new front end.

Besides, it's not difficult to graft different body designs onto a vehicle - I can think of many examples where operators have 'facelifted' vehicles with their own designs or from newer versions of the same original manufacturer.

iij

Lothian have added services 120, 121, 123 and 130 as part of their Lothian City bus services under Network Maps and Timetables.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Lothian have added services 120, 121, 123 and 130 as part of their Lothian City bus services under Network Maps and Timetables.

Good stuff. Hopefully they'll be moved under their own section in due course.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Do you need a licence to convert diesel buses to electric then?

No, it would just have to go for a new COIF (certificate of initial fitness). Unrelated to this thread, but when I worked at Edwards Coaches they had to get the (only) short wheelbase Wright darts a COIF as their type certification didn't apply on the mainland after 'import' as none of them were built for the UK itself.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Good stuff. Hopefully they'll be moved under their own section in due course.

This is good, but it's a shame Lothian themselves haven't fully advertised that after next Sunday they will be accepting East Coast Daytickets on these services, besides Eve doing one post on Facebook there have been nothing from Lothian or East Coast Buses.

UPDATE: Lothian have removed the eve services from their website.

Last edited:
They've only done it partially, the timetable URLs remain and the live bus tracker still shows those services.
I would suggest that this is temporary and they will be integrated fully from the service change on the 30th. I am aware that it does have the old timetables on it though so possibly sooner.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Apparently 2-3 Skylink B5TLs are being repainted/wrapped for the increase of vehicles needed on the 100 from the 30th.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Apparently 2-3 Skylink B5TLs are being repainted/wrapped for the increase of vehicles needed on the 100 from the 30th.
I would suggest there is no truth to this. Skylink can't afford to lose anything, and the other routes at Longstone can't afford to lose anything for use on Skylink routes instead.

The PVR is increasing by one, which should be doable as the existing PVR is 9 and there are 13 XLBs. Airlink are currently short of one because 1139 is away for repair.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I would suggest there is no truth to this. Skylink can't afford to lose anything, and the other routes at Longstone can't afford to lose anything for use on Skylink routes instead.

The PVR is increasing by one, which should be doable as the existing PVR is 9 and there are 13 XLBs. Airlink are currently short of one because 1139 is away for repair.

I hope you're right, but I'm confident enough in the source to post it here.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I hope you're right, but I'm confident enough in the source to post it here.
We'll see. You'd think they'd have already taken the required ones off the road for this change in livery then though. You've got 510 still away for repair but I don't think it'll be repainted while its there.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
We'll see. You'd think they'd have already taken the required ones off the road for this change in livery then though. You've got 510 still away for repair but I don't think it'll be repainted while its there.
510 still off the road? Surprised considering it was moving itself after the accident and there was only 2 body panels worth of damage

510 still off the road? Surprised considering it was moving itself after the accident and there was only 2 body panels worth of damage
I have always thought that they will use this as a chance to refresh the bus with a repaint anyway. Whether this goes to Airlink (very unlikely in my opinion but we have to wait and see) or something to do with Skylink is beyond me now, if it does get repainted. If it does get repainted and it stays with Skylink, I'd hope for a revival of the blue and white colourscheme.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
While browsing a website containing vector icons I came across this icon which I believe is a direct copy of Lothian Buses' signature logo. The author appears to be claiming that it is their original work. Is this worth flagging up to Lothian?
A quick search on their website came up with their Brand Guidelines document which has on its cover:
Lothian Buses - Brand Guidelines said:
The content contained within these brand guidelines is the subject of various forms of intellectual property protection. Express prior written consent mist be obtained from Lothian Buses Limited before reproducing the whole or any part of the content contained within these brand guidelines.
The logo is contained in that document so would appear to be covered by the protection.

Apologies for changing the subject.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
The same happened with 415 last year. What looks like some minor damage but ended up being off the road for months. Must be something to do with the internals.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

I was told that it'd be in the advert wrap as applied to 1128-30. If true.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The same happened with 415 last year. What looks like some minor damage but ended up being off the road for months. Must be something to do with the internals.
The van that hit 415 went right into the saloon though

Meanwhile at Cameron Toll 611 has just rear ended 291

Attachments

• IMG_4078.jpeg
    IMG_4078.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 140

Resuwen

Noticed East Coast 1054 in Duddingston area this morning displaying Clermiston 1 - no passengers aboard so don't know if it was operating that route or not...

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Noticed East Coast 1054 in Duddingston area this morning displaying Clermiston 1 - no passengers aboard so don't know if it was operating that route or not...
Maintenance run/circuit.

Bus 1050 is at Seafield, quite possibly for repaint. May well be moving to Lothian Country.
Just for the avoidance of doubt, bus 1150 is currently tracking as both that and 1050. 1050 is still at Seafield being prepared for repaint.
I don't know how the tracking works, but I believe there are currently two feeds - one is the AVL, and one is another feed which I'm not 100% on - the same thing that was used to allow the 600s to track before they had AVLs. I would assume 1150 has had an AVL change with number 1050 on by error, but the other system still says 1150.

Last edited: