• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vectron383

I’m still not convinced by the new livery. As others have said it honestly feels like a step back in time and not forward, and right when they’ve finally achieved some degree of uniformity!

stevenedin

Established Member
I like it. I just wish it had more white. Things these days (fashion) are going retro so it’s in keeping with that.

Resuwen

Difficult to assess the livery until seeing it fully finished.

Also think these vehicles given the step in the downstairs window line would look much better dual door - something it's a shame that Lothian after flirting with in 2018/19 now seems to be moving away from again.

stevenedin

Established Member

Also think these vehicles given the step in the downstairs window line would look much better dual door - something it's a shame that Lothian after flirting with in 2018/19 now seems to be moving away from again.
I agree about the dual door. It works great and allows people to alight the bus whilst board.

I also agree about the design. It actually looks like an ex dual door bus converted to single door.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

It's such a time saver, even on the B9TLs - 10-30 seconds saved at every stop makes a big difference across the route. It's much harder to stay on time with say, a 400, over an XLB on the 31 for example.

stevenedin

Established Member
A new bus stop has been installed next to the Gyle Centre tram stop for services 32, 70, 71 and 400.
I heard a while ago that buses were going to move there and the car park was going to have houses built on it or something like that but not heard anything else. It makes sense for people to make the connection to the tram for the city centre.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Are there stops on both sides?
Yes, poles have been there for a while bit the stops are only being instated now. Allows direct connections to/from the tram.

I agree about the dual door. It works great and allows people to alight the bus whilst board.

I also agree about the design. It actually looks like an ex dual door bus converted to single door.
Surely it makes all the difference with the extra seating?

CSB0241

On Moderation
Surely it makes all the difference with the extra seating?
That’s what I was thinking. In a city with a public transport network as busy as ours is, the dual doors just mean that fewer seats are free, meaning that more people hare having to stand, which means more people are getting left behind. It’s mainly bad with the 33, but I have encountered it with the 16 many a time.

Last edited by a moderator:

stevenedin

Established Member
We do have longer length buses compared to places like London. The short buses like on the 33 I get where you are coming from as they have very few seats downstairs.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
We do have longer length buses compared to places like London. The short buses like on the 33 I get where you are coming from as they have very few seats downstairs.
What length are the new BZLs? If they're shorter than standard length then they'll already have fewer seats downstairs, adding an exit door might make them as bad as the dual-door ex-London vehicles.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
What length are the new BZLs? If they're shorter than standard length then they'll already have fewer seats downstairs, adding an exit door might make them as bad as the dual-door ex-London vehicles.
10.9m I believe. I'd assume these have two wheelchair spaces taking up seats as well, unlike the ex-London fleet with one. I don't know if there are flip seats.
997 had 21 seats downstairs, if I've counted correctly. This compares to the ex-Londons with up to 27.

Last edited:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
ten years overdue, but good to see! the walk through the car park to get between buses and trams was never ideal.

I'm glad they are doing this, only thing is that it's not connecting the 400, but hopefully the ratho residents will make good use of it once they stop complaining on Facebook about how useless the new service is.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I'm glad they are doing this, only thing is that it's not connecting the 400, but hopefully the ratho residents will make good use of it once they stop complaining on Facebook about how useless the new service is.
The stop? The 400 has been scheduled to use this. Connections already doable from the Gyle though.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Well, let’s be fair, it is pretty clear that it’s been done on cost grounds. The route isn’t great and I do wonder whether or not the local route could’ve been sacrificed completely in favour of a city bound route, but that’s another issue altogether.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
905/6 entered service this afternoon on city routes though 906 has now been taken off. 997 has also had its logos and fleet numbers reinstated alongside an AVL (I believe) fitted.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
905/6 entered service this afternoon on city routes though I believe 906 has now been taken off. 997 has also had its logos and fleet numbers reinstated alongside an AVL fitted.

There's a fair bit of charging infrastructure ready in Central already, hopefully see it out soon.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Bit of a strange allocation here just saw that 639 has been running 400 journeys to and from the Airport/Longstone.
A maroon bus will be a regular on the 400 at present because 510 is still away for a repair. Generally its one of 496/7 but its not irregular for an Enviro 400 to show up as well.

cammyeaston

A maroon bus will be a regular on the 400 at present because 510 is still away for a repair. Generally its one of 496/7 but its not irregular for an Enviro 400 to show up as well.
1145 appeared on an Airport bound 400 two days ago, it was photographed in Wester Hailes with the image shared on the Edinburgh's Trams and Buses Facebook page.

LKF747R

905/6 entered service this afternoon on city routes though 906 has now been taken off. 997 has also had its logos and fleet numbers reinstated alongside an AVL (I believe) fitted.
Saw 905 on a city bound 45 at Gillespie Crossroads at 7:48 this morning.

CraigLockhart

Would I be right in saying that with the X99 Cruise link and the Royal Highland Show all running today there must be very few spare buses. I take it the specials are offered as overtime.

Lx008

That does look to be the case.
Would I be right in saying that with the X99 Cruise link and the Royal Highland Show all running today there must be very few spare buses. I take it the specials are offered as overtime.

Had a look at at BusTimes and only 2 or 3 double decker buses haven’t operated a single service today, one of those being 997. Would that indicate that it isn’t ready for/ being used for service or is it just a coincidence?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
That does look to be the case.

Had a look at at BusTimes and only 2 or 3 double decker buses haven’t operated a single service today, one of those being 997. Would that indicate that it isn’t ready for/ being used for service or is it just a coincidence?
I count 18.
This number does include deckers away for repair and repaint. Excluding these, the buses are 354, 363, 427, 641, 667, 997, 1104, 1116, 1124, 1126, 1130, 1145, 1151 and 1153.

Bus 1050 is at Seafield, quite possibly for repaint. May well be moving to Lothian Country.

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
The City's plans for the whole of the Seafield area (replacing the car showrooms with seafront housing) seem to include the depot. Has Lothian decided on a new location?