• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo (East Coast Trains) Class 803 Updates/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Someone has posted that 803001 is on a test run today while others are saying it's just a Hull Trains unit they are using for driver training. Either way it just passed Doncaster.
803001 is back at Merchant Park factory, certainly not out on test at the moment.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Seat looks OK - nice view of some plastic for some lucky passengers :)

I'd have said seat for a very cheap Advance at the window and an even cheaper Advance on the aisle once trains can be fully filled again which is what they'll be by the time these enter service.

The plastic is great if all you want to do is sleep or look at a laptop.

Look at the number of air passengers who don't care about what's out of the window.

greatvoyager

Established Member
The unit looks smart based on the pictures I’ve seen on Facebook. It does look like the blue on the nose (vice yellow) looks a slightly different shade to the rest.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The plastic is great if all you want to do is sleep or look at a laptop.

Look at the number of air passengers who don't care about what's out of the window.
I go by train to enjoy the view out of the window (along with all the other things that are rotten about flying) ;) - but as long as these are clearly noted at booking time then it will be a win - win as people can avoid then / seek them out as they prefer. First could even do what many football clubs do, discount the restrict view - lowest tier = no view. Again as long as I have a choice I don't care.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I go by train to enjoy the view out of the window (along with all the other things that are rotten about flying) ;) - but as long as these are clearly noted at booking time then it will be a win - win as people can avoid then / seek them out as they prefer. First could even do what many football clubs do, discount the restrict view - lowest tier = no view. Again as long as I have a choice I don't care.

On most flights the view out of the windows is clouds - not quite as appealing, though occasionally it is stunning.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
discount the restrict view - lowest tier = no view

I wouldn't be surprised if some people didn't mind paying more for that on a train!

On most flights the view out of the windows is clouds - not quite as appealing, though occasionally it is stunning.

Gets a bit same-y after 8+ hours, but as someone who flies relatively infrequently I do like to enjoy them.

Failed Unit

Established Member
It is, had some lovely views out of an aircraft, the alps, the northern lights. But in most cases to fly you have little choice. London - Edinburgh you do. Fly (not the best view, treated like and animal - wonder if this will change post Covid now airlines need customers), LNER or First. I suspect First will be my preferred option simply because it stops at Stevenage. But if they take and airline approach to customers then it will be back to LNER.

Roger B

What bugs me are the people who dive in the window seats, and them never so much as glance out, head firmly stuck in a phone or a laptop, when others (eg me!) would love to watch the world whizzing by!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What bugs me are the people who dive in the window seats, and them never so much as glance out, head firmly stuck in a phone or a laptop, when others (eg me!) would love to watch the world whizzing by!

What's even worse is people who sit in a window seat, leaving a "blank wall" seat empty, and pull the blind down, ruining it for two rows!

On Moderation
But if they take and airline approach to customers then it will be back to LNER.
The same LNER who are heading increasingly towards running like an airline. The luxury of choice: airline, airline or airline.

YorksLad12

Established Member
What's even worse is people who sit in a window seat, leaving a "blank wall" seat empty, and pull the blind down, ruining it for two rows!
The blinds are the one thing I would change in the class 80x trains. Even more than the seats ;)

YorksLad12

Established Member
I'd rather they were horizontal rather than vertical, then each seat would control its own. Or if not, get rid. They weren't the norm in Standard for years.
On the east coast, the blinds in First used to swing out towards you when the train went round a sharp curve! You had to put one hand out to brush it away and the other to stop everything flying off the table. I do wonder if the 803s will have the blinds fitted as, as you say, they were'n't found in Standard previously.

As for these: cut them in half, put a plastic or metal strip in to seal the cut edge and to provide some stability and you're done. £3.20 per blind times 1,000 carriages times the public sector multiplier... call it £37.24m for cash.

superalbs

Established Member
Thanks. Interesting - what are they? The wings look rather large and I suspect might impact my shoulders, but if they are high enough up not to that might be good.
It's not anything I've seen before anywhere in the world, but I'll do more research tonight.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's not anything I've seen before anywhere in the world, but I'll do more research tonight.
They used to have these "ear" / "wing" style headrests in early build Mk2 carriages.

I remember them with horror; I was forever bashing my head on them...

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I can't really make out from the pictures what the covering is - it doesn't look like moquette and I don't think it is shiny enough to be leather - is it a flat cloth or some sort of vinyl?

On Moderation
Looks like flat cloth to me.
How many more times does the railway need to learn this lesson? It's the definition of insanity: doing the same thing (using flat cloth) over and over again hoping for a different outcome (better quality/longer lasting/harder wearing seat covers).

Nymanic

Interesting seat design - possibly Transcal? The flat seat backs and their 'outline' are reminiscent of the Aerolite seats on their website (and in this VLR render).

If so, their selling point is low weight, on a par with seat designs used for airlines. Let's see how that turns out...

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Almost always a window seat for me on a flight, the wall or window also is a place you can lean your head against. Aisle seats are considered too on long flights.

Same on a train, on a long journey window seat. Not such a fan of the aisle if there is people walking past all the time.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They used to have these "ear" / "wing" style headrests in early build Mk2 carriages.
I think it was all Mk2s as new bar the last batches of the 2F which received IC70s as per Mk3s.

I suspect First will be my preferred option simply because it stops at Stevenage.
Only a couple of services each way from what I recall of the timetable. Not much better than LNER in that respect.

Just seen this on Twitter, a different type of (previously unseen) seat on one of the new Class 803 units.

The seats are dark blue, with an orange line on the headrest. The backs are narrow, and the armrests look small, but there is a large winged headrest. They also appear to have three-part cushions.

You can also see a table seat to the far left of the image.

They look better at first glance than the standard 80x seat but the proof is in the 'sitting' so to speak!

Failed Unit

Established Member
Only a couple of services each way from what I recall of the timetable. Not much better than LNER in that respect.
True. But the fact that it isn’t before 0700 is a big bonus.

likewise at the weekend going South i find the times better. The weekend was a pain as the connections on LNER were never the best. Going north it never put me off as a change at Newark isn’t too bad.

will see if the stop more post 2022 timetable restructuring. But the 1239 for me personally is a great time. With the 1545 from Edinburgh stopping as well, I will definitely give them a try for convenience.

superalbs

Established Member
Interesting seat design - possibly Transcal? The flat seat backs and their 'outline' are reminiscent of the Aerolite seats on their website (and in this VLR render).

If so, their selling point is low weight, on a par with seat designs used for airlines. Let's see how that turns out...
Yeah, now I've seen a better image, I think it is a variation of the Transcal Aerolite.

Doomotron

Established Member
Is it possible these are the same seats as fitted to the Night Riviera seated coaches? If so, oh dear...

Kite159

Veteran Member
Hopefully those seats will be better than the awful ones fitted to the TPE 397s, but from that first photo they don't look promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.