• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo - new Open Access operator on the East Coast Main Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I am genuinely intrigued to see how this service does. Perhaps they will find the pricing sweet spot where franchises operators struggle.

LNER certainly don't struggle with filling their trains between London and Edinburgh.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bluejays

Glad to see them selling out trains already, more passengers who use rail the better. Hopefully some of the tackiness will die out over the next few months, hopefully the low fares will stay. Can only be good for the railways and the environment if that happens

TheDavibob

I also enjoy one of the recommended places to visit from Stevenage still being "London Kings Cross".

pdeaves

Established Member
The spare "e" seems to have been removed. They are still recommending Morpeth, rather than Newcastle, as a suitable place from which to visit Hadrian's Wall.
A little aside, but I wonder if someone somewhere thinks Hadrian's Wall = England/Scotland border. Morpeth is of course closer to the border than Newcastle (though still a long walk!)

Killingworth

Established Member
A little aside, but I wonder if someone somewhere thinks Hadrian's Wall = England/Scotland border. Morpeth is of course closer to the border than Newcastle (though still a long walk!)

Morpeth is about 16 miles north from Newcastle, then another 50 miles to the Scottish border.

The bits of Hadrian's Wall that most want to visit at Housesteads are over 30 mikes west of Newcastle although a little remains in Wallsend.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Will many lumo customers be hiring a car on arrival in Edinburgh?
Why not? Hiring a car and travelling north is a common thing for people who fly to Edinburgh to do.

A quick search suggests four car hire firms with locations within walking distance of the station.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Why not? Hiring a car and travelling north is a common thing for people who fly to Edinburgh to do.

A quick search suggests four car hire firms with locations within walking distance of the station.

There’s at least one in the station! And very good they are too.

dk1

Veteran Member
Still nothing on RSTL or anywhere else on whether there will be any priv travel available.

Established Member
Still nothing on RSTL or anywhere else on whether there will be any priv travel available.

Not initially apparently. Presumably they wish to establish public demand first.

Grand Central for example had no priv when they first started up either. Once everything settled down reciprocal agreements were established so we may just have to be patient.

dk1

Veteran Member
Not initially apparently. Presumably they wish to establish public demand first.

Grand Central for example had no priv when they first started up either. Once everything settled down reciprocal agreements were established so we may just have to be patient.
That went on for ages & penalised their own staff too. Hull Trains caved in far earlier.

anthony263

Established Member
Gwr having no issues filling up services would have been nice if Grand union were allowed to run to London on the GWML

Bluejays

I don't see why they should introduce priv rates personally . They're already pitching at very reasonable prices, also privs can't be bought online.

Rab Smith

Priv rates will be available, this has been confirmed by email from Lumo. Obviously on walk on fares which may be more expensive.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Priv rates will be available, this has been confirmed by email from Lumo. Obviously on walk on fares which may be more expensive.

On the contrary, I've seen a source saying that suggests discussions are still ongoing with Rail Staff Travel about priv travel and nothing confirmed yet.

Rab Smith

I received this from them

Dear Mr Robert Smith,

Thank you for contacting us regarding staff discount cards.

I am happy to confirm that we do accept Priv Cards on our service.

The normal terms and conditions will apply.

Kind regards,

Amelia
Customer Relations

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211007-114557_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20211007-114557_Email.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 147

Established Member
On the contrary, I've seen a source saying that suggests discussions are still ongoing with Rail Staff Travel about priv travel and nothing confirmed yet.

That was what I was told on Monday too from a reliable source but there it is in writing. Hope Amelia is correct and hasn’t jumped the gun.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don't see why they should introduce priv rates personally . They're already pitching at very reasonable prices, also privs can't be bought online.
Agreed. It's only fair that everyone pays their way.
Unless they accept Priv discounted tickets, they won't be able to give their staff Privs.

They are indeed charging very reasonable prices, and in many cases their LumoFixed fares will be cheaper. But there is no reason to quibble about Priv availability on Lumo, any differently to Priv availability on any other operator.

Bluejays

Unless they accept Priv discounted tickets, they won't be able to give their staff Privs.

They are indeed charging very reasonable prices, and in many cases their LumoFixed fares will be cheaper. But there is no reason to quibble about Priv availability on Lumo, any differently to Priv availability on any other operator.
I think there is a bit of a difference. They're trying a single class, low cost approach. Personally I think it could breathe a bit of extra life into the railways, and if the model they choose to emulate is that of the low cost airlines I'm all for it. These are additional services being provided, and additional well paid jobs created. If as a business they see opting out of priv rates as part of what they do differently I'm all for it

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think there is a bit of a difference. They're trying a single class, low cost approach. Personally I think it could breathe a bit of extra life into the railways, and if the model they choose to emulate is that of the low cost airlines I'm all for it. These are additional services being provided, and additional well paid jobs created. If as a business they see opting out of priv rates as part of what they do differently I'm all for it
Every other operator, including the OAOs, has eventually decided to opt into Priv. That should perhaps give a clue as to the value which it carries as a perk, compared to the reduction in revenue it costs (if any).

Nobody is saying they have to do it, but it's certainly something that will help them recruit and keep people.

Established Member

If the “revenue loss”* due to privs concerns them, they’ll probably find they’ve got rather bigger fish to fry at the moment!

*accepting priv is surely likely to produce a small net gain, as priv holders would likely just use existing “full service” operators if LUMO didn’t accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.