• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
It should be a help that there's an existing major substation next to the line at Stalybridge, east of the station and tunnel.

And for the North Wales line there's one west of Colwyn Bay.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LDECRexile

Established Member
I am delighted that Tom Needham, a serving railwayman working on 'our' electrification project has kindly submitted seven photos for publication.

As with all contributors I have created an album specifically for Tom's pictures, here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157649779776988/

I have added them to the composite album, into which I have also inserted Photo 2021a, an afterthought to the trip Paul and I undertook on Monday. They are accessible here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Welcome aboard Tom.

DJH1971

Established Member
It should be a help that there's an existing major substation next to the line at Stalybridge, east of the station and tunnel.

And for the North Wales line there's one west of Colwyn Bay.

I don't think it will be needed in North Wales for the foreseeable future!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It may be on here somewhere but I can't quite find it. What are the likely service patterns going to be post L & M electrification ? Will there still be through services Liverpool to Blackpool or beyond Victoria ? .... and what will the likely stopping patterns be ?

Nothing definite said so far.
Nothing beyond Victoria till 2017 of course, until the wires reach Stalybridge.
From today's vague announcement, it looks like Liverpool-Blackpool will be cut back to Preston later this year, so as to use 319s as far as Preston and free up a few more DMUs.
The future of the Warrington BQ stopper is also unclear - it might be diverted/extended to Victoria. Or not.

PDG1949

The future of the Warrington BQ stopper is also unclear - it might be diverted/extended to Victoria. Or not.

If the SHJ < > SNH link were still in place it might've gone there as it did decades ago....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looks like panic could be setting in now.

Maybe they're worried about being caught with their 'pants' down ? !

Whistler40145

Established Member
Why has it now been decided to run Class 319s from Preston to Liverpool Lime Street instead of DMUs as had previously been discussed? Is this a ruling by DfT?

Anvil1984

Established Member
Why has it now been decided to run Class 319s from Preston to Liverpool Lime Street instead of DMUs as had previously been discussed? Is this a ruling by DfT?

To allow Northern to lend TPE some units on a daily basis when the 170s go starting in May

DJH1971

Established Member
If the SHJ < > SNH link were still in place it might've gone there as it did decades ago....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Maybe they're worried about being caught with their 'pants' down ? !

Either way, this looks like a real embarrassment for them.

budge

Lots of work again last night by the orangemen between Lea Green and St Helens Junction.
0200 hrs they appear to be levelling out the hangers that hold the two copper cables above the track. I'd noted that many are not parallel with the ground. Looks fixed this morning....could have done without the hammering on steel work before an 0600 get up for work.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Toured Lime St-Wigan NW-Roby-Man Vic-Rainhill-Lime St today.

1. Looked for gaps: most if not all reported before, this is an 'audit'

1a) one crossbarless portal at Roby Jct
1b) one missing mast and crossbar east end of Huyton station
1c) one mastless base south side of tracks almost smack opposite where Dixie Dean took his shots the other day at Huyton Jct
1d) pair of mastless bases between St Helen Central and Carr Mill, on east side adjacent to the 'Burgies' pond. The pair are adjacent, not on opposite sides of the tracks, I would wager your pension that one is a mast base and the other is a one to which a 'guy rope' will be attached. All the metalwork lies on the opposite side of the tracks in readiness.
1e) only two mastless bases at Springs Branch Junction now, with five armless masts. This represents significant progress.
1f) Sankey Viaduct's easternmost portal still by trackside.
1g) three of the four masts (still bare stumps at this stage) have been erected at the east end of Man Vic platforms. The most northerly still a hole in the ground.

2. Significant progress at Rainhill station, I won't attempt to put proper names to the wires and clobber now aloft, but they will become clear with photos later. Masts and signs now set in tarmac, Harris Fencing was removed whilst I was there.

3. Alas still no working lifts at Roby, but characteristically very pleasant Orangemen doing paint jobs on the subway and erecting a substantial Info screen on Platform 4.

4. Some danglies have appeared on the Bamfurlong Branch, but no wires.

5. Unscientific, but I reckon there are fewer temporary fixings on show in the St Helens Junction area, which fits with budge's disturbed night.

6. Full wiring extends 12 masts south from Wigan Branch M57 viaduct, both sides of track.

7. The two wires over the southbound track north of Pilkington Sidings do extend uninterrupted to St Helens Chamber as presumed.

Photos later, including another superb set from Tom Needham.

Dave

DJH1971

Established Member
Toured Lime St-Wigan NW-Roby-Man Vic-Rainhill-Lime St today.

1. Looked for gaps: most if not all reported before, this is an 'audit'

1a) one crossbarless portal at Roby Jct
1b) one missing mast and crossbar east end of Huyton station
1c) one mastless base south side of tracks almost smack opposite where Dixie Dean took his shots the other day at Huyton Jct
1d) pair of mastless bases between St Helen Central and Carr Mill, on east side adjacent to the 'Burgies' pond. The pair are adjacent, not on opposite sides of the tracks, I would wager your pension that one is a mast base and the other is a one to which a 'guy rope' will be attached. All the metalwork lies on the opposite side of the tracks in readiness.
1e) only two mastless bases at Springs Branch Junction now, with five armless masts. This represents significant progress.
1f) Sankey Viaduct's easternmost portal still by trackside.
1g) three of the four masts (still bare stumps at this stage) have been erected at the east end of Man Vic platforms. The most northerly still a hole in the ground.

2. Significant progress at Rainhill station, I won't attempt to put proper names to the wires and clobber now aloft, but they will become clear with photos later. Masts and signs now set in tarmac, Harris Fencing was removed whilst I was there.

3. Alas still no working lifts at Roby, but characteristically very pleasant Orangemen doing paint jobs on the subway and erecting a substantial Info screen on Platform 4.

4. Some danglies have appeared on the Bamfurlong Branch, but no wires.

5. Unscientific, but I reckon there are fewer temporary fixings on show in the St Helens Junction area, which fits with budge's disturbed night.

6. Full wiring extends 12 masts south from Wigan Branch M57 viaduct, both sides of track.

7. The two wires over the southbound track north of Pilkington Sidings do extend uninterrupted to St Helens Chamber as presumed.

Photos later, including another superb set from Tom Needham.

Dave

Good work as always.

8A Rail

Established Member
Toured Lime St-Wigan NW-Roby-Man Vic-Rainhill-Lime St today................... snip ................. Photos later, including another superb set from Tom Needham. Dave
Thank you for the update and already noted the new images. Another opportunity missed as I was off today and a cup of tea / coffee could of been on offer! Rainhill only 5 mins away! :lol:

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Thank you for the update and already noted the new images. Another opportunity missed as I was off today and a cup of tea / coffee could of been on offer! Rainhill only 5 mins away! :lol:

Aaargh! I thought you worked on a Friday. Should've texted you anyway. Next time....

I am delighted to have added a further eleven photos kindly submitted by Tom Needham, this time of Carr Mill Viaduct. I have put them in his album here:

I have also put them in the overall album, along with 23 of my own, here:

Thanks Tom.

deltic08

On Moderation

It appears that quite a few local posters are meeting on the route. Could a time and station be pre-arranged for more to meet on the first day of 319 operation?

LDECRexile

Established Member
It appears that quite a few local posters are meeting on the route. Could a time and station be pre-arranged for more to meet on the first day of 319 operation?

I've had great pleasure in meeting others recently, but it might be better to pool info of timings and spread out, perhaps meeting later in the day. That way we'd get different shots of a unique event.

Dave

Dixie

Northern have posted a good video on You Tube recently of refurbishing the Class 319s, would be nice to see if they would take an official cab ride video of the first (daylight) trip. Anyone got any contacts with them? Doesn't have to be expensive equipment as can be seen from my most recent trip in Switzerland which was taken on my phone taped to the windscreen of the loco! (with official permission I might add): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx9-LXdeIM4

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I have my doubts about a first electric passenger working on 8 February (just 4 weeks away).
There just seems too much to do.
Huyton is still missing some steelwork, and there's still plenty of wiring adjustments to do at various places towards Earlestown.
Huyton Jn-Roby Jn remains on the critical path for me - I don't think the viaducts will be the problem.
There appears to be some complex switchgear in that section (neutral section?), hence the giant gantries.
Then there is testing/acceptance/route training etc.
Happy to be proved wrong of course... ;)
All quiet at Edge Hill today - do they work Sat night?

DJH1971

Established Member
I have my doubts about a first electric passenger working on 8 February (just 4 weeks away).
There just seems too much to do.
Huyton is still missing some steelwork, and there's still plenty of wiring adjustments to do at various places towards Earlestown.
Huyton Jn-Roby Jn remains on the critical path for me - I don't think the viaducts will be the problem.
There appears to be some complex switchgear in that section (neutral section?), hence the giant gantries.
Then there is testing/acceptance/route training etc.
Happy to be proved wrong of course... ;)
All quiet at Edge Hill today - do they work Sat night?

I have doubts too, but this is just only what I heard a couple of weeks ago from a bloke working for Northern.

Plus the final portal at Sankey Valley Viaduct is expected to be put up any day now.

Or they could be emergency Sunday blockades, just like they have announced for between Huyton to Wigan.

Billyblue

I am delighted that Tom Needham, a serving railwayman working on 'our' electrification project has kindly submitted seven photos for publication.

As with all contributors I have created an album specifically for Tom's pictures, here:

I have added them to the composite album, into which I have also inserted Photo 2021a, an afterthought to the trip Paul and I undertook on Monday. They are accessible here:

Welcome aboard Tom.
As usual some great photos! With 2031 you ask if the earth mover is clearing a future car park for Huyton Station. The answer, unfortunately, is no. The site is a former garage workshop and haulage yard which has been sold for housing. I believe two blocks of apartments are being built.
It's an opportunity lost as this would have made an ideal car park. Some time ago I asked if the Roby storage site will be considered as a car park and the answer is no to that, too. This will be returned to green field.

LDECRexile

Established Member
As usual some great photos! With 2031 you ask if the earth mover is clearing a future car park for Huyton Station. The answer, unfortunately, is no. The site is a former garage workshop and haulage yard which has been sold for housing. I believe two blocks of apartments are being built.
It's an opportunity lost as this would have made an ideal car park. Some time ago I asked if the Roby storage site will be considered as a car park and the answer is no to that, too. This will be returned to green field.

Thanks for the kind remark and clear, if regrettable, info. At least more apartments means more potential customers.

childwallblues

Established Member
Nothing definite said so far.
Nothing beyond Victoria till 2017 of course, until the wires reach Stalybridge.
From today's vague announcement, it looks like Liverpool-Blackpool will be cut back to Preston later this year, so as to use 319s as far as Preston and free up a few more DMUs.

If the Liverpool to Blackpool North service is cut back to Preston this could create major problems at Preston. The through service is well used by families especially in the summer and lights seasons. To force everybody off at Preston on to Platforms 1/2 could create a safety problem as these platforms are so narrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.