• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

new car park south of newton le willows station to be built on the former car showroom site has this been built/opened yet

ironstone11

Timetable updates received overnight show all services at Huyton this Sunday as buses, very short notice indeed.

From Network Rail:-
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...as-Network-Rail-increases-its-effor-2249.aspx

Amended train services between Manchester stations and Liverpool as Network Rail increases its efforts to deliver an electrified railway

Downloads

Friday 23 Jan 2015

North West & West Midlands

Train services on certain routes between Manchester stations and Liverpool and Liverpool and Wigan are to be amended on Friday nights and Sundays over the next six weeks.

Network Rail is investing more than £1bn in the railway in the north of England to provide a faster, more reliable and efficient railway which includes nearly 200 miles of newly electrified lines.

Additional closures are needed to allow Network Rail to catch up on the delivery of the electrification programme which has been delayed because of the cumulative impact of severe weather, an accident involving an essential wiring train and equipment failure.

Network Rail has taken the difficult decision to close the railway on the route between Manchester and Liverpool via Newton-le-Willows on the next six Sundays (25 January; 1, 8 15 and 22 February; and 1 March) and to extend the current amended Monday to Thursday evening timetable to include Friday nights until 27 February.
etc....

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

What's surprising is that they give 2 days notice to close the line on Sundays for the next 6 weekends.
I am not at all surprised at the delay, given the rate of progress over many months, but the PR is very poor.
"Rail" says one of the reasons is the shortage of small part steelwork, but it's difficult to agree with that when there is still big steelwork to put up.
Looks like I will not miss the "big day" by being abroad next month after all!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
With out going back threw what date is first electric trains due ? Thanks in advance

Not before 2 March I would guess.
Difficult to tell if that's the start of TOC testing or passenger service - suspect the former.
As nothing is said about specific routes I assume this is when the whole scheme will be ready.

DJH1971

Established Member
What's surprising is that they give 2 days notice to close the line on Sundays for the next 6 weekends.
I am not at all surprised at the delay, given the rate of progress over many months, but the PR is very poor.
"Rail" says one of the reasons is the shortage of small part steelwork, but it's difficult to agree with that when there is still big steelwork to put up.
Looks like I will not miss the "big day" by being abroad next month after all!

Not surprised if it is down to Northern losing patience over the delays.

Last edited by a moderator:

8A Rail

Established Member
I've just found some Virgin diverted passenger services on realtimetrains for Sunday 22 February (Runcorn route closed).
These are Rugby-Liverpool services diverted via Warrington and Earlestown.
Plus a late night Preston-Liverpool ECS reversing at Warrington.
Example: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P51118/2015/02/22/advanced
This may or may not happen, but somebody must think the wires are going to be working then!
Some of the workings are Voyagers (the WCML is closed at Watford that weekend).
From NRE for Sun Feb 22:

Not now!! See link below and previously loaded onto a message on this thread.

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...as-Network-Rail-increases-its-effor-2249.aspx

This is one of the paragraphs from this link

"Network Rail has taken the difficult decision to close the railway on the route between Manchester and Liverpool via Newton-le-Willows on the next six Sundays (25 January; 1, 8 15 and 22 February; and 1 March) and to extend the current amended Monday to Thursday evening timetable to include Friday nights until 27 February".

Definitely no "live" Pendolino's going via Earlestown on that date. In fact, sounds like no trains what so ever!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
A length of catenary wire has gone up over the Down line west of Roby station.
The Bogey mast is still missing, also steelwork at Springs Branch.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Hooray, boo, boo
Thinks, I wonder if the TGBUs are endanglied near Roby Jct?

Yes, but not those east of Huyton.
To clarify, new catenary is up over the Up Fast also, west of Roby station.
This stretch splices into the existing wiring to the west.
Nothing over the Up Slow yet.
I counted 7 bare structures east of Roby, ie no registration gear or "danglies".
Plus the 4th portal at Sankey.

At Victoria, one portal is up over the P5/6 lines at the east end, the one over P3/4 is still missing.
My last tour of inspection for 6 weeks or so.
I'll be following progress from afar though!

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Yes, but not those east of Huyton.
To clarify, new catenary is up over the Up Fast also, west of Roby station.
This stretch splices into the existing wiring to the west.
Nothing over the Up Slow yet.
I counted 7 bare structures east of Roby, ie no registration gear or "danglies".
Plus the 4th portal at Sankey.

At Victoria, one portal is up over the P5/6 lines at the east end, the one over P3/4 is still missing.
My last tour of inspection for 6 weeks or so.
I'll be following progress from afar though!

Have fun wherever you're off to.

Roby Jct photos this evening.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Not now!! See link below and previously loaded onto a message on this thread.

This is one of the paragraphs from this link

"Network Rail has taken the difficult decision to close the railway on the route between Manchester and Liverpool via Newton-le-Willows on the next six Sundays (25 January; 1, 8 15 and 22 February; and 1 March) and to extend the current amended Monday to Thursday evening timetable to include Friday nights until 27 February".

I can understand the need to close Earlestown - Liverpool, but why can't they run trains between Manchester Piccadilly & Earlestown, reducing the length of the "replacement bus" section. If necessary, surely they could use platforms 4/5 at Earlestown, and run to Winwick Junction to reverse ???

LDECRexile

Established Member
I am delighted that Ann Paulett has kindly submitted photos for publication. This initial batch were all taken today whilst accompanying me near Roby Junction.

I have created an album for Ann here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157650048381910/

I have added them and fifteen of my own to the combined album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Thank you Ann.

I'll update the Progressometer soon, probably after Monday given the current rate of progress and opportunites provided by the blockades.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I can understand the need to close Earlestown - Liverpool, but why can't they run trains between Manchester Piccadilly & Earlestown, reducing the length of the "replacement bus" section. If necessary, surely they could use platforms 4/5 at Earlestown, and run to Winwick Junction to reverse ???

ATW is still running Warrington-Earlestown-Newton-le-Willows-Piccadilly as usual.
You can connect into that using the replacement bus, though eastbound it doesn't get you there any earlier.
It works better westbound.

deltic08

On Moderation
I am delighted that Ann Paulett has kindly submitted photos for publication. This initial batch were all taken today whilst accompanying me near Roby Junction.

I have created an album for Ann here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157650048381910/

I have added them and fifteen of my own to the combined album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Thank you Ann.

I'll update the Progressometer soon, probably after Monday given the current rate of progress and opportunites provided by the blockades.

It appears from your photos that the overhead wire is not terminating at the eastern one of the two TGBUs but the next finer portal to the east because bracing can clearly be seen on the finer portal upright to take a force exerted from the west. If that is the case why is the TGBU so robust I wonder?

tomneedham85

FYI I am at Roby as I write this message supervising two trial holes cornfield final SSA structures thatveill be located 5m from the face of station road bridge. The two SSA's are being installed to bring the wire in through the bridge. They will be installed within the next 2 weeks or so.

Regards
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
FYI I am at Roby as I write this message supervising two trial holes cornfield final SSA structures thatveill be located 5m from the face of station road bridge. The two SSA's are being installed to bring the wire in through the bridge. They will be installed within the next 2 weeks or so.

Regards

Cornfield? I meant to say for. And thatveill should of said "that will".

Damn auto correct :)

LDECRexile

Established Member

Regards

Thank you Tom. For landlubbers like me, what is an SSA?

Kind regards

Dave
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It appears from your photos that the overhead wire is not terminating at the eastern one of the two TGBUs but the next finer portal to the east because bracing can clearly be seen on the finer portal upright to take a force exerted from the west. If that is the case why is the TGBU so robust I wonder?

Indeed, they don't seem to be going to terminate at either of the TGBUs.

I don't pretend to understand these different structures, but I have heard it suggested that the Complex-Less Complex adjacent pair of portals as seen in Photo 2886h is an 'end of section' and the waist-high handles are to give manual switches to close off/reinstate power.

I am also given to understand that TGBUs both carry wires and provide structural strength, hence their massive concrete bases and huge metal structure.

Does anyone in the know know what's what?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
March at the very earliest at least.

No chance, if there's still works being done on 1st March, there is a need to do some training runs first with the 319s overly the newly electrified railway. After all, they handle a little differently to 156s!

Plus there's the now-expected delay with the wiring on top of what's already happened. Quite frankly if a 319 leaves Liverpool Lime Street in passenger service before March 31st I'll be shocked. And if one leaves on April 1st I won't believe it that day! ;):lol:

deltic08

On Moderation
I don't pretend to understand these different structures, but I have heard it suggested that the Complex-Less Complex adjacent pair of portals as seen in Photo 2886h is an 'end of section' and the waist-high handles are to give manual switches to close off/reinstate power.

I am also given to understand that TGBUs both carry wires and provide structural strength, hence their massive concrete bases and huge metal structure.

Does anyone in the know know what's what?

The complex pair are familiar as there are many on the system and yes, the two long handles are for truning off sections for repair or maintenance. They are also found at the entrances to wired sidings.

Keep up the good work. Sadly, your progressometer is becoming a little dull now. It was so much prettier six months ago!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DJH1971

Established Member
No chance, if there's still works being done on 1st March, there is a need to do some training runs first with the 319s overly the newly electrified railway. After all, they handle a little differently to 156s!

Plus there's the now-expected delay with the wiring on top of what's already happened. Quite frankly if a 319 leaves Liverpool Lime Street in passenger service before March 31st I'll be shocked. And if one leaves on April 1st I won't believe it that day! ;):lol:

Well, with these added blockades in place at least it will speed up things ni matter what the introduction date will be.

Even so, the manure is really hitting the fan now at Network Rail., and they know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.