• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dixie

I've posted a comment on the Northern Facebook site asking them if they will consider doing a cab ride video recording of one of the first trips of the new electrics in daylight from Liverpool to Manchester Airport as a keepsake. It will compliment this existing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyiRWuV92qY which shows the route prior to electrification and which itself has had over 60,000 views. Will be interesting to see what their response is!

You don't have to use expensive equipment as this view of a cab ride in Switzerland that I took on my phone shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx9-LXdeIM4.

AM9

Veteran Member
I've posted a comment on the Northern Facebook site asking them if they will consider doing a cab ride video recording of one of the first trips of the new electrics in daylight from Liverpool to Manchester Airport as a keepsake. It will compliment this existing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyiRWuV92qY which shows the route prior to electrification and which itself has had over 60,000 views. Will be interesting to see what their response is!

You don't have to use expensive equipment as this view of a cab ride in Switzerland that I took on my phone shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx9-LXdeIM4.

Thanks for that. I've never been on the line and it helped me get all the locations and their problems in perspective.
I assume that the run was in a 150 because the acceleration was pretty tame. The 319s should perform much better, particularly once they get above about 40mph. The line is mostly straight with mild curves so I imagine that the linespeed could be 90/100mph for the section between Eccles and Huyton with checks at Newton le Willows and maybe Earlstown. Apart from the closest stations (Roby/Huyton and N le W/Earlstown) the 319s should be able to improve on the current time of the stoppers, maybe releasing the odd path between the fasts if passenger growth occurs.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think prevailing linespeed for the Chat Moss line used to be 75, will be 90 on completion of works? No 100 that I recall...

AM9

Veteran Member
I think prevailing linespeed for the Chat Moss line used to be 75, will be 90 on completion of works? No 100 that I recall...

I was implying what it should/could be. No chance of a 150 breaking the current speed limit then, but a 319 could.

Billyblue

Steps up to Huyton Station entrance.
These steps have been in place for months but for most of that time they have been cordoned off. They've been open again since Monday but were again blocked off this afternoon.
I, and others on here, have wondered why and, today, I discovered the reason.
There's nothing wrong with the steps. An orangeman told me they're waiting for a lampost to be erected to illuminate them, presumably to mitigate any claims etc.

Dixie; great idea to film the first trip.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Steps up to Huyton Station entrance.
These steps have been in place for months but for most of that time they have been cordoned off. They've been open again since Monday but were again blocked off this afternoon.
I, and others on here, have wondered why and, today, I discovered the reason.
There's nothing wrong with the steps. An orangeman told me they're waiting for a lampost to be erected to illuminate them, presumably to mitigate any claims etc.

Dixie; great idea to film the first trip.

Steps: aha, good find, thanks. I wonder whose job it is to erect the light?

Cabride film: fab idea.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've been on a car jaunt today:

1. Ince Moss Chord (aka Bamfurlong Branch) is wired from the Ince Moss end to approx 100 yards short of Bamfurlong Sidings Junction.
2. Earlestown looks wired and ready to go.
3. No change at St Helens Junction, the earthworks are untouched since Monday
4. Roby Junction has fewer temporary fixings, a number of cylindrical tensioners have been attached to portals (including to a TGBU), but the wires haven't been attached to them yet.
5. Roby station, all looks ready for lift off except the wires under the bridge, the eastbound pair are on a temporary pulley and strap.
6. At Huyton station the portal at the eastern end now has some cylindrical tensioners attached, but the wires haven't been attached to them yet.
7. From Huyton station towards Huyton Junction
7.1 some temporary fixings have been replaced with permanent ones, but not all
7.2. The trees to the north of the tracks have been cut back (not cut down) to be well clear of the wires. (This has also happened at Earlestown near Sankey St bridge and near St Helens Junction.)
7.3 The 'incomplete' portal half way along the path to the south of the tracks (which looks as if it is intended to have another arm attached to the top) has sprouted a conventional registration arm pointing northwards. This now supports the eastbound wires.
8. At Huyton Junction itself the significant new wiring reported by DJH1971 appears to cover all tracks and all combinations, though it is very difficult to be certain from trackside. Wires extend up the Wigan Branch and are joined to those which have been in place for some time, ie just north of Longview Drive. The contact wire is missing over the northbound Wigan line, but catenary is in place, as are both contact and catenary southbound.
9. Orangemen all over the shop, eg erecting the same sort of palisade fencing 'detours' round new masts by Hey Road as have been erected along Bold Colliery tip site east of St Helens Junction.

Power on next Monday looks a tall order, but the whole show is looking more and more the business.

Photos and Progressometer later.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member

It is already 90 mph most of the way from Astley to Roby Junction, with some local tsrs to 75 mph (e.g. underbridge at St. Helens Jn., etc.). Still 60 mph over Astley level crossing, and then 75 mph eastwards towards Eccles and the approach to Ordsall Lane Jn.

snowball

Established Member
I was implying what it should/could be. No chance of a 150 breaking the current speed limit then, but a 319 could.

I suspect the track would need firmer foundations if it was to be much faster over Chat Moss.

po8crg

I suspect the track would need firmer foundations if it was to be much faster over Chat Moss.
Doesn't it float on the Moss? I wouldn't fancy trying to sink piles through the Moss to get down to a solid foundation. That would be an expensive and lengthy exercise, and very unpredictable in therms of time and cost too. Might be cheaper and certainly more predictable to build a diversionary route. Which probably explains why no-one has touched this with a bargepole.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Progressometer updated below.

Please see the additional line at the very bottom, set on a yellow background.

Please also bear in mind the standard caveat, 'Fully wired 2013-5' means the kit looks that way to a lay observer who has no knowledge of what may lie unseen.

Attachments

• NWelectrificationDiagram.xlsx
    212.5 KB · Views: 51

LDECRexile

Established Member
I noticed that too. I think our perception of distance has been massively compressed by the high level of zoom.

Indeed, we've commented on this before in the context of track 4 near Roby.

The zoom will have been somewhere between 20x and 32x which hugely exaggerates and tightens the appearance of curves. In this case most of the curves are unintended. If you look at some of the shots eastwards along the tracks at Huyton Junction (eg 3134n) or from the car park at Manchester Victoria (eg 3058r) the 'official' curves look like those on my old faithful O Gauge tinplate train set, whereas in reality they are gentle.

Can any reader who has travelled the 3114q stretch at full tilt in a 185 please comment on ride quality?

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
I'm delighted that Phil Wieland has made the photos he recently posted on his wonderful nw-sparks site available to publish in the Combined Volume, which I have now done.

I have added them to Phil's album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157650238941151/

and to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

I've put them in their correct points in time, so there is one at Huyton station as 2980k and the remainder at Huyton Junction as 3014m to g.

Thank you Phil
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

This has just dropped into my inbox:

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.c...r+Feb+15+Week+2&dm_i=IJS,36KL7,INN6YI,BEEG6,1

Last edited:

Dixie

What an excellent video, Dixie - very steady for a camera phone. Also interesting to see their electrification infrastructure

Thanks PDG1949 - The phone was taped to the cab window using bits of foam rubber to get the angle correct!

Get day out for someone who loves Swiss electrics and mountains :lol:

Would be great if Northern actually do it, even better if they invited me along.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I'm delighted that Paul Gaskell has sent another couple of items for publication.

The first is a follow-up to the set 3052 Small Things to which he made the larger contribution recently. I have added his new shot as 3052e and entered it into Paul's album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157649792560381/

and to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157649792560381/

Paul is a St Helens man born and bred and asks why there's so much fuss over 319s, the borough has seen it all before, for example here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21611052@N02/10998554943/

Thank you Paul.

Whistler40145

Established Member
No doubt Network Rail will require a complete closure of Manchester Victoria for wiring to be completed.

Does anyone know when this work is likely to take place?

po8crg

No doubt Network Rail will require a complete closure of Manchester Victoria for wiring to be completed.

Does anyone know when this work is likely to take place?
They could probably keep the bay platforms open while the through platforms are worked on, as there's plenty of physical separation. Surprised they didn't go for this weekend, while the tram service was also closed.

Geeves

Established Member
Theres no trains out of the east end of Vic plus diversions and buses to Salford Crescent every Sunday during March so I guess they will be cracking on!

No trains to Vic in either direction from the 03/04/15 till the 07/04/15

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Went into Manchester today, and still no wires at the platforms at Victoria,but the end at the very west of the station edge.

Troubling, I wonder why they've taken the wire down between platforms 5 and 6, as shown in Photo 3058y taken on 6th Feb?

Status
Not open for further replies.