• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

8A Rail

Established Member
--- old post above --- --- new post below --- Now you can see for yourself.
To photograph it in portrait I hold the camera vertically. Maybe I should stop doing that? Mighty miffing.

The answer to your question is probably yes - stop doing it! Think about this, as far as I am aware all video / television / movie film camera's are filmed in horizontal format, i.e. rectangular horizontal box format. if they need to get closer to an object or whatever, they just zoom in, so therefore a facility to rotate a film clip is not necessary (normally) unless you want the film clip upside down, then you turn the video camera upside down. Hopefully, you get the point I'm attempting to make but I think there may not be a readily software available to do what you want from the usual sources - it is not common.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJH1971

Established Member
I also noticed signs at stations put up today between Liverpool and St Helens Junction advvertising electric services.

This seems to suggest that the commence of these is fairly imminent. :)

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I also noticed signs at stations put up today between Liverpool and St Helens Junction advvertising electric services.

This seems to suggest that the commence of these is fairly imminent. :)

As a betting man I would say testing this month sometime with electric service early-mid March. - just my opinion. :D

PDG1949

It allows more power to be delivered to the track with reduced losses, so more and heavier trains can be run, by doubling the voltage to 50kV for transmission along the line, while trains still only receive 25kV.

It has already been retrofitted to much of the WCML.

The Wigan line has a traditional return wire instead, on small insulators.

This URL of an NR document gives a visual idea of how the AT and former OLE systems work. Your attention is particularly drawn to pages 5 and 6 of the pdf

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse...closed 07 july 2010/ec4t loss report v1.0.pdf

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

caliburn53

according to the latest Rail magazine the introduction of electric services has been suspended for the foreseeable future

LDECRexile

Established Member

DJH1971

Established Member
according to the latest Rail magazine the introduction of electric services has been suspended for the foreseeable future

That seems to contradict with the posters now in place advertising electric services as well as recent progress made and that testing is said to be taking place in a matter of days.

Also this morning, I can confirm that return wiring is now in place between Huyton Junction the Liverpool-bound side coming from the line from Wigan.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member

Maybe that's just a strange way of saying that when they were writing the article nobody they asked would commit to a date.

Llama

Established Member
Registration arms have appeared a a couple of places at Manchester Vic after the weekend, notably the drop posts suspended from the ceiling of the arena at the east end of 5 & 6 platforms, and under the west footbridge at the other end of the same platforms.

ironstone11

Looking closely at 3114k it appears that the mast base is bent instead of the concrete base moving. Could it be metal fatigue or a failing weld? What do others think?
It appears to be leaning in the picture, but then the houses in the background are also leaning. Just a viewpoint or perspective effect. I think if there was something wrong with the mast it would just be changed rather than do something to the foundations.

I notice the concrete pad has been core drilled, threaded? rods inserted and then concreted in. Is this to stabilise the concrete pad or stabilise the brick wall? There appear to be threaded rebar rods going into the wall from the buttress side which may be tied into the concrete mast pad.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Looking closely at 3114k it appears that the mast base is bent instead of the concrete base moving. Could it be metal fatigue or a failing weld? What do others think?

Definitely not either of those two.

I notice the concrete pad has been core drilled, and threaded rods inserted and then concreted in. Is this to stabilise the concrete pad or stabilise the brick wall? There appear to be threaded rebar rods going into the wall from the buttress side which may be tied into the concrete mast pad.

Both - but mainly to stabilise the concrete pad. Not sure where the tensile forces are coming from - but steel is great in tension - concrete is great in compression.

LDECRexile

Established Member
On Sunday I shot and published two films in Portrait, which meant they displayed at right angles.

The contributor 'AM9' has kindly taken the two, rotated them and joined them together. I have added the combined videos to the Combined Volume as 3092u and deleted the original two (3092s & t.) AM9 has displayed skill bordering on wizardry as far as I can tell, all with a ready smile, which I greatly appreciate.

The Combined Volume is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

I have learned the error of my ways. I apologise to anyone left with a crick in their neck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.