• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

L+Y

A part of me wonders now if it'll be like Phase 1, where everything came together much more quickly than pessimists had anticipated at the end. We'll see, I suppose! To those in the area, is the Wigan line now lagging noticeably? Or is overall progress on both quite similar?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
A part of me wonders now if it'll be like Phase 1, where everything came together much more quickly than pessimists had anticipated at the end. We'll see, I suppose! To those in the area, is the Wigan line now lagging noticeably? Or is overall progress on both quite similar?

Phase 1 was rushed in and switched on to meet a deadline, and then turned off again to allow them to finish it off.

Phase 2 is running even further behind and what you see going on is a fraction of the real chaos; you'll notice Volker MEWPs and Volker staff working on a Balfour Beatty project (and Keltbray, and so on). Phase 2 through Huyton is the focus of nearly every overhead line construction resource in the north of England, with only a small number of days to go ...

LDECRexile

Established Member

Please see the Progressometer, as below.

Attachments

• NWelectrificationDiagram.xlsx
    194.7 KB · Views: 70

LDECRexile

Established Member
Phase 1 was rushed in and switched on to meet a deadline, and then turned off again to allow them to finish it off.

Phase 2 is running even further behind and what you see going on is a fraction of the real chaos; you'll notice Volker MEWPs and Volker staff working on a Balfour Beatty project (and Keltbray, and so on). Phase 2 through Huyton is the focus of nearly every overhead line construction resource in the north of England, with only a small number of days to go ...

Welcome back, we haven't heard from you for a while.

I've read statements by Network Rail blaming the delay on 'severe weather' as well as other things such as the wiring train crash at Bryn (see today's RAIL 767 p8, for example.) I can't remember any severe weather last year in this part of the world, did we lose resources to Dawlish and other places smashed to bits in early 2014?

I'm pleased to hear that resources are being thrown at 'us'. As you say, Keltbray are much in evidence. Are we now Peters robbing Manchester-Blackpool's Paul?

mcnw35282

I was driving between jobs in work today, on my way to Earlestown on Wharf Road and it looked like there were contact wires over both tracks on Sankey Viaduct attached to the catenary by droppers. I say looked because I was only able to catch a glimpse from Wharf Road, which is a fair distance from the viaduct itself.

martynbristow

Your memory is good. The weather in 2014 in NW England was actually more favourable than average for construction projects.

I think we all know what the *weather* referred to, maybe the Network Rail senior engineers don't appreciate weather up here!

The weather will have impeded a lot of the work, there have been some very damp, cold and windy periods, however nothing we don't get every year, may we remind ourselves of the 7Ps. From looking at the planners evolution and the pictures I think maybe they didn't budget for the complex tasks that popped up.

To me Huyton seems to be the stumbling block, the key area linking the two routes. Huyton seems a high risk area from the volume of work required and then the Manchester route was suggested at getting the 319's first so I'm not sure why theres been so much progress on the Wigan line, surely some prioritisation was needed.

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
I think we all know what the *weather* referred to, maybe the Network Rail senior engineers don't appreciate weather up here!

I'm sorry to be thick, but could you please spell out what 'the *weather*' referred to, you might all know, but I don't.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was driving between jobs in work today, on my way to Earlestown on Wharf Road and it looked like there were contact wires over both tracks on Sankey Viaduct attached to the catenary by droppers. I say looked because I was only able to catch a glimpse from Wharf Road, which is a fair distance from the viaduct itself.

Sounds good, thank you.

martynbristow

I'm sorry to be thick, but could you please spell out what 'the *weather*' referred to, you might all know, but I don't.

Sounds good, thank you.

I'm simply referring to what the North West gets every year (after year) which is rain, wind and cold during the winter. You get a lot of heavy rain in the Winter and some freezing conditions over christmas. This can cause disruption to projects which will require stable ground. But I don't think its unexpected, you expect to deice the car on January mornings.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I'm simply referring to what the North West gets every year (after year) which is rain, wind and cold during the winter. You get a lot of heavy rain in the Winter and some freezing conditions over christmas. This can cause disruption to projects which will require stable ground. But I don't think its unexpected, you expect to deice the car on January mornings.

Thank you for explaining that.

Moving on to the second paragraph of your original, thank you for explaining what the 7Ps are; could you please explain your term 'planners evolution'?

Rather than then have a further round of clarifications could you please also explain how the recent welcome progress on the Wigan line shows that no prioritisation has taken place? To give a recent example, last Sunday wiring teams were up on both Sankey and Carr Mill viaducts and at Collins Green. It would be have been impossible to prioritise Sankey and Collins Green over Carr Mill any further because Sankey Viaduct and Collins Green were full to the brim with kit and Orangemen.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
To me Roby-Huyton seems to be the stumbling block, the key area linking the two routes. Huyton seems a high risk area from the volume of work required and then the Manchester route was suggested at getting the 319's first so I'm not sure why theres been so much progress on the Wigan line, surely some prioritisation was needed.

When the electrification dates were announced, I can't remember if the Huyton 4-tracking was committed or not.
That work in July pretty much forced the project into overtime because the OHLE folk couldn't get going there.
It's unimportant which leg is done first when the critical path is the bit in the middle.
It's more important to "learn the lessons" (though they were surely evident during Phase 1) and get on with the rest of the project.
I notice the December CP5 milestone report has still not been published.
We still don't know the knock-on effect of the current delays.

Mr Locke's view that all the OHLE resource in the north is deployed on Phase 2 maybe gives the clue to why TP wiring is delayed - they may not be able to do both NW and TP projects at the same time.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Electrification plant and crews working on Manchester Airport 4th platform last couple of days.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I'm delighted that Dixie Dean has sent photos he took at Huyton Junction earlier today.

I have added them to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157649752701067/

I have also added them to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Thank you Dixie.
Electrification plant and crews working on Manchester Airport 4th platform last couple of days.

Interesting, thank you; does it all look set to reopen as planned?

driver_m

Established Member
Went past St Helens Junction earlier by road today and it looks like the wiring at the Eastern end of the station has now been finally done. Couldn't say whether its finished but there is also an issue with the path at the back of the Liverpool platform. Its cordened off and it appears to have reinforcements in place stopping the wall from collapsing. No doubt the OLE installation has caused some serious ground disturbance.

tomneedham85

I will be installing 2 foundation at Roby next Saturday just off the platform. It will be quite late (02:00 Sunday) of anyone was keen to see how it's done then the platform would provide good viewing.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Went past St Helens Junction earlier by road today and it looks like the wiring at the Eastern end of the station has now been finally done. Couldn't say whether its finished but there is also an issue with the path at the back of the Liverpool platform. Its cordened off and it appears to have reinforcements in place stopping the wall from collapsing. No doubt the OLE installation has caused some serious ground disturbance.

Thank you for this. Does anyone know if the cordoning off is recent, or has it been there for ages?
I will be installing 2 foundation at Roby next Saturday just off the platform. It will be quite late (02:00 Sunday) of anyone was keen to see how it's done then the platform would provide good viewing.

Thanks Tom, should be a good show. Can you tell us why it is necessary? To a landlubber there seems to be ample masts up as well as the wire supports under the bridge.
I've just come back from a day in Immingham to find photos from both Paul Gaskell and Dixie Dean.

I won't be able to process them until tomorrow evening, but they contain evidence of the excellent news that there is at least one wire across the 'gap' at Huyton, ie across the Huyton Hey bridge.

This means that there is now at least one wire up from Lime Street to Manchester Airport.

Thank you very much Paul and Dixie.
Hey, I reckon closing the gap is symbolic, if not outright significant, so hang going to bed, I've processed Dixie's shots anyway and added them to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157649752701067/

and to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Thank you Dixie.

I will definitely add Paul's shots of the Ince Moss area tomorrow.

8A Rail

Established Member
Noted on another forum, someone suggested Edge Hill to Earlestown goes live on Tuesday 10th February. Please dont shoot the messenger.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Paul Gaskell and I did a Lime St-Roby-Wigan NW-Huyton-Man Vic-Rainhill-Lime St railtour today.

Good news:

1. We confirm that a vertical pair of wires runs across Huyton Hey all the way past the Vee of Huyton Junction. There is therefore definitely a wire from Lime St to Manchester Airport.
2. A wire is up along the Ince Moss Chord (aka Bamfurlong branch) as far as can be seen from a train passing along the Wigan Branch.
3. A wire is up over the southbound line from a few yards south of the Vee of Springs Branch Junction to the previous northern limit a short distance north of Ince Moss Junction.
4. Apparent progress with masts on the west side of the Vee of Springs Branch Junction, but the situation is complex and hard to track as the only vantage point we can find is a moving train.
5. Significant progress on the three pairs of masts at Rainhill which used temporary fixings. All three look well on the way to being finalised.
6. Visible progress on reinstating the stonework atop Sankey Viaduct.
7. A wire is up ("Return Wire"??) to the north side of the track through most of the section of Platform 5 at Man Vic which is under the overbuilding.
8. More work has been done on the mystery fixings attached to the latticework above the middle of Platforms 3 and 4 at Man Vic, One such shows how the end product will work.
9. Purple temporary fixings are in place over the eastbound track along most if not all of the stretch between Roby junction and the Henry a couple of hundred yards east of Huyton station. They give the impression that things are ready for lifting a wire up, maybe tonight.

Work in progress

10. No metal danglies above Carr Mill Viaduct or the Wigan Branch M57 bridge, wires suspended by webbing and pulley wheels.
11. There are quite a few places around the project where temporary fixings are in place. It is difficult to quantify them or give an exhaustive list of locations. The good news is that a widespread sprinking gives the opportunity for simultaneous fettling by the massed ranks of Orangemen and cherrypickers visible all over the show.

Disappointment

12. Roby lifts not in use, no signs, no explanation, just not in use.
13. Huyton entrance blocked off, no signs, no explanation, just not in use.

Photos later

Last edited:

DJH1971

Established Member
Paul Gaskell and I did a Lime St-Roby-Wigan NW-Huyton-Man Vic-Rainhill-Lime St railtour today.

Good news:

1. We confirm that a vertical pair of wires runs across Huyton Hey all the way past the Vee of Huyton Junction. There is therefore definitely a wire from Lime St to Manchester Airport.
2. A wire is up along the Ince Moss Chord (aka Bamfurlong branch) as far as can be seen from a train passing along the Wigan Branch.
3. A wire is up over the southbound line from a few yards south of the Vee of Springs Branch Junction to the previous northern limit a short distance north of Ince Moss Junction.
4. Apparent progress with masts on the west side of the Vee of Springs Branch Junction, but the situation is complex and hard to track as the only vantage point we can find is a moving train.
5. Significant progress on the three pairs of masts at Rainhill which used temporary fixings. All three look well on the way to being finalised.
6. Visible progress on reinstating the stonework atop Sankey Viaduct.
7. A wire is up ("Return Wire"??) to the north side of the track through most of the section of Platform 6 at Man Vic which is under the overbuilding.
8. More work has been done on the mystery fixings attached to the latticework above the middle of Platforms 3 and 4 at Man Vic, One such shows how the end product will work.
9. Purple temporary fixings are in place over the eastbound track along most if not all of the stretch between Roby junction and the Henry a couple of hundred yards east of Huyton station. They give the impression that things are ready for lifting a wire up, maybe tonight.

Work in progress

10. No metal danglies above Carr Mill Viaduct or the Wigan Branch M57 bridge, wires suspended by webbing and pulley wheels.
11. There are quite a few places around the project where temporary fixings are in place. It is difficult to quantify them or give an exhaustive list of locations. The good news is that a widespread sprinking gives the opportunity for simultaneous fettling by the massed ranks of Orangemen and cherrypickers visible all over the show.

Disappointment

12. Roby lifts not in use, no signs, no explanation, just not in use.
13. Huyton entrance blocked off, no signs, no explanation, just not in use.

Photos later

We still live in hope.

LDECRexile

Established Member
...going into Liverpool this morning there seems to be a bit more wiring between Roby and Broad Green.

Could be just me though.

No, you weren't dreaming.

I missed from our report that a wire has been strung along the northern side of the masts from the Roby Junction end to roughly where roadrailers access the tracks from the Buckingham site. Working though our photos reminded me.

Please see the photo in due course.

Dave

DJH1971

Established Member
No, you weren't dreaming.

I missed from our report that a wire has been strung along the northern side of the masts from the Roby Junction end to roughly where roadrailers access the tracks from the Buckingham site. Working though our photos reminded me.

Please see the photo in due course.

Dave

Will do

LDECRexile

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.