• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJH1971

Established Member
Fab news

1. Two wires up over Sankey Viaduct: this has closed the gap between the Henry situated between Broad Lane, Collins Green and Penkford Lane Collins Green and the Henry at Sankey Junction, immediately east of Sankey Viaduct. I shot the second one going up.

2. Two wires up from the Henry behind Ewart Road, St Helens to the Henry immediately north of Carr Mill Viaduct. I shot the second one going up.

Apart from finding two dead horses in a lane at Collins Green (tied to a fence and left to die, utterly appalling) and scraping my car against a telegraph pole near Sankey Viaduct I had a fab day!

Can anyone add any detail to the reports of Huyton activity? eg 'now seventeen wires up and Pendolinos plying back and forth' or 'wires continue eastwards to join up at the Vee of Huyton Junction' or similar?

Photos and Progressometer later.

Brilliant news to hear (not the horses sadly :cry:).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member

LDECRexile

Established Member
Thanks for that, it's really interesting. I have been wondering how fast the wiring ensemble went.

Slightly OT, what is the new camera?

Ann and I have had a Canon ISUS 220 HS for about 4 years. It's a cracker for inexpert, point and click users like me, but Ann was far and away the lead user until I started this project a year ago, since when my usage has exploded.

It fits easily in my pocket and has blown my head away with what it will do, but if you've looked at the stuff I've put on flickr you'll see that a black spot has started to appear at mid-range magnification and the other day it started to make unpleasant grinding noises, so we agreed it's probably on the way out.

We therefore looked around and concluded that it's so good for my abilities and uses we looked at the same, with go faster stripes. We've therefore bought a Canon IXUS 230 HS. It has a slightly bigger screen and up to x32 magnification as opposed to the 220's x20. It fits into the same pocket and produces pictures which please me without me knowing an f stop from a g spot.

It arrived yesterday while I was out, so today I used it for the first time and I'm thrilled. It does what I hoped - a turbo-charged 220, point and shoot, not a brain cell needed.

Shopping around on t'internet brought significant savings.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

nw-sparks

Huyton Station Monday morning: Down Slow and Down Fast both have catenary and contact wire, some still on pulleys. Down side earth wire is in place, no return/autotransformer wire yet.

On the up side, no wires and some danglies still missing.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Progressometer updated below.

May I please remind readers that "Fully wired" means "appears to be fully wired to a lay observer."

It is likely that some sections marked as "Fully wired" require further attention.

Attachments

• NWelectrificationDiagram.xlsx
    194.7 KB · Views: 66

LDECRexile

Established Member
Dear DJH1971

I don't know if you look at the Progressometer, if not fair enough, but if you could I would appreciate your factual observations on the reports on the state of wiring at St Helens Junction and Rainhill stations.

I haven't been for a while and rather hope my summaries of them are out of date.

Specifically:

1. Rainhill Station: the last time I looked the wires were still suspended by temporary fixings (purple straps with pulley wheels on the end) on the three pairs of masts nearest Lea Green. Is that still the case or have any or all of them got 'proper' fixings now?

2. St Helens Junction station and a short distance eastwards: the last time I looked pretty well all wires seemed to be up, but there were a lot of temporary fixings, such as pairs of wires with bits of wire twisted round them to keep them from swinging around. Is that still the case or have they been tidied up?

You should be able to see the Rainhill stuff from your trains and the SHJ stuff from the platforms.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

Last edited:

DJH1971

Established Member
Dear DJH1971

I don't know if you look at the Progressometer, if not fair enough, but if you could I would appreciate your factual observations on the reports on the state of wiring at St Helens Junction and Rainhill stations.

I haven't been for a while and rather hope my summaries of them are out of date.

Specifically:

1. Rainhill Station: the last time I looked the wires were still suspended by temporary fixings (purple straps with pulley wheels on the end) on the three pairs of masts nearest Lea Green. Is that still the case or have any or all of them got 'proper' fixings now?

2. St Helens Junction station and a short distance eastwards: the last time I looked pretty well all wires seemed to be up, but there were a lot of temporary fixings, such as pairs of wires with bits of wire twisted round them to keep them from swinging around. Is that still the case or have they been tidied up?

You should be able to see the Rainhill stuff from your trains and the SHJ stuff from the platforms.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

I'm not sure about Rainhill, but as for St Helens Junction, there are still temporary fixing with the wires.

mcnw35282

I was at St helens junction today and all the wires were in their appropriate fixings...tho they did seem to be bunched together a bit near the footbridge. I don't recall seeing any purple pulleys hanging anywhere

DavidL

Again - great work. Another great set of shots but sad/disgraceful news for our equine friends.

To celebrate the nicer, albeit cold weather, I took the bike into work today so didn't see any first-hand wiring evidence at all; though having ridden past Carr Mill twice today (albeit in the dark), it was a welcome surprise to see the shots of the wiring activity there.

Thanks for the work!
-David

LDECRexile

Established Member
Again - great work. Another great set of shots but sad/disgraceful news for our equine friends.

To celebrate the nicer, albeit cold weather, I took the bike into work today so didn't see any first-hand wiring evidence at all; though having ridden past Carr Mill twice today (albeit in the dark), it was a welcome surprise to see the shots of the wiring activity there.

Thanks for the work!
-David

...and thanks for your kind remarks. There was an idle wind, and I got hot aches in my fingers for the first time since I went snowballing with my sons c30 years ago, but Sunday was great to be out and about with a camera - lots of positive action, lots of pleasant people, no rain and good light; fab.

ironstone11

In view of the aesthetic sensitivity of Sankey viaduct I am surprised that they have doubled up on the catenary mounting frames on at least three of the portals on the north side only (see pictures 3024 h, j k & l). The frames with the mountings on the uprights are quite intrusive and considering how such trouble is being taken with the stonework and the use of lower visibility circular section portal frames it does seem unfortunate, to say the least.

The reason for the doubling is because an end of wire run overlap takes place on the viaduct, with the tensioners fitted to the TTC just off the viaduct (see picture 2862m).

Why is the overlap here and on the north side only? If the south side doesn't need to have an overlap on the viaduct, why does the north side need to have one?

Once again many thanks to LDECRexile for the excellent photos.

DJH1971

Established Member
Dear DJH1971

Specifically:

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

Going through Rainhill this morning, there is still temporary fixings.

And the cherry pickers were at Roby station again today.

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Going through Rainhill this morning, there is still temporary fixings.

And the cherry pickers were at Roby station again today.

Clear, helpful, interesting and informative; warm thanks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am delighted that Paul Gaskell has sent more photos for publication (not jokes this time!)

I have added them to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157649792560381/

and to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Thank you Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.