• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Dave (LDECRexile) and myself were at Earlestown and 'caught' the first Pendo coming through around 0020. A couple of mins later a freight haul came through P3 Liverpool bound. Just before 0100 a headlight could be seen approaching from Newton and we thought here's the return trip. However it turned off towards P5 and sounded as if it was stopping. A couple of orangemen appeared where I was on P2 and I asked had they seen a Pendo on their travels. It appears they had just got off it, as apparently a call had been received at N-le-W that there had been some sort of isolation problem at Huyton and the Pendo was returning the long way round via Warrington BQ and there was no more activity for the night because of this, if I've got everything right.

Yes, later 390 runs "cancelled because of a problem with the electrified line" according to RTT.
I guess that's what testing is for.
More runs planned for tonight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Billyblue

Dave (LDECRexile) and myself were at Earlestown and 'caught' the first Pendo coming through around 0020. A couple of mins later a freight haul came through P3 Liverpool bound. Just before 0100 a headlight could be seen approaching from Newton and we thought here's the return trip. However it turned off towards P5 and sounded as if it was stopping. A couple of orangemen appeared where I was on P2 and I asked had they seen a Pendo on their travels. It appears they had just got off it, as apparently a call had been received at N-le-W that there had been some sort of isolation problem at Huyton and the Pendo was returning the long way round via Warrington BQ and there was no more activity for the night because of this, if I've got everything right.

About 10 minutes before the Pendolino passed through Roby and Huyton there was an electrical flash. at Roby, Perhaps this is where the fault is?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Very atmospheric, almost a film noir! Dave, you guys are very committed (or need to be) going out on a night like that. :)

And they couldn't even repair to the pub. ;)
I wonder if the 390 went back to the WCML via the Earlestown east-south curve under its own power?
I think that might be a first if it did.
It was noticeable that the outbound train waited 10 minutes at Edge Hill before venturing on to the new route.
Also it would be interesting to know if the 390 affected the OHLE on its Up run or whether problems on the Down simply prevented the return run.

driver_m

Established Member
If a little common sense had been used then this test would have been scheduled for a Friday night so that any problems wouldn't have had an impact on the electrics the next day as they currently don't run at weekends.

Seeing as mother nature could have caused the problem in the first place (it was extremely windy in the NW overnight) and the fact that the two pendos are in the right place mon-thurs, then the right decision was probably made in the first place. Besides, if the OLE is damaged nothing runs including diesels.

8A Rail

Established Member

You mean these? First times are passing times at Rainhill. Been in the system along with last nights ECS trains since before the weekend gone.

Wednesday 01/04/15
00:05 1Q01 STP 23:53 Liverpool Lime Street - Newton-le-willows
00:36 1Q02 STP 00:29 Newton-le-willows - Edge Hill
01:21 1Q04 STP 01:07 Warrington BQ - Edge Hill
01:36 1Q03 STP 01:21 Edge Hill - Warrington BQ
02:19 1Q05 STP 02:05 Warrington BQ - Warrington BQ
02:52 1Q05 STP 02:05 Warrington BQ - Warrington BQ

LDECRexile

Established Member
Very atmospheric, almost a film noir! Dave, you guys are very committed (or need to be) going out on a night like that. :)

I'm savouring the delicious implied line "you guys need to be committed". I'll definitely add that to the great lexicon of fab remarks. I bet Paul will, too.

Being very slightly serious, my favourite railway photographer is the late Colin Walker (C P Walker) whose work included shots of locos so filthy you wonder if they ever had a number, let alone a readable one; in a filthy back sidings in the pouring rain as well as locomen and crack expresses in their pomp.

My all time favourite railway book is his 'Main Line Lament."

Have a look and see, feel and almost smell a world, a way of life, a history we can reach out to through his images.

Gosh, did I write that? I've been out and about on the Salford-Blackpool Phase 4 today, maybe it's addled my brain cell.

Have fun

Dave

Class 170101

Established Member
You mean these? First times are passing times at Rainhill. Been in the system along with last nights ECS trains since before the weekend gone.

Wednesday 01/04/15
00:05 1Q01 STP 23:53 Liverpool Lime Street - Newton-le-willows
00:36 1Q02 STP 00:29 Newton-le-willows - Edge Hill
01:21 1Q04 STP 01:07 Warrington BQ - Edge Hill
01:36 1Q03 STP 01:21 Edge Hill - Warrington BQ
02:19 1Q05 STP 02:05 Warrington BQ - Warrington BQ
02:52 1Q05 STP 02:05 Warrington BQ - Warrington BQ

Yes indeed however look at the date ;)

Also is the wiring working? Posters suggested there was a problem, has this been fixed yet?

Billyblue

It hadn't been earlier. Tonight's runs have all been cancelled.

Thanks Dave,

I got to Huyton at midnight to find the signal on red so I checked via my phone and saw your message that tonight's runs had been cancelled!

Lesson; next time I must check before I go out lol

Bill

PS I did see the coal train passing through, though. Local residents must be really thrilled, at 00.03, to hear the recorded voice warning people to stand clear as "the train approaching platform 1 does not stop at this station,"

topgun390

You got it right.I.set 390104 for return uninterrupted run then got call via gsmr that all runs cancelled because of OHLE problems @Huyton. Now scheduled for Thursday night same times.hope the weather is somewhat better (thought a bath had been emptied on cab windscreen)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And they couldn't even repair to the pub. ;)
I wonder if the 390 went back to the WCML via the Earlestown east-south curve under its own power?
I think that might be a first if it did.
It was noticeable that the outbound train waited 10 minutes at Edge Hill before venturing on to the new route.
Also it would be interesting to know if the 390 affected the OHLE on its Up run or whether problems on the Down simply prevented the return run.

10min @ Edgehill was while test and monetering equipment was set on the 3 transformers.
390104 Was then put into boost mode (Max available power) then I wacked her open .

Bantamzen

Established Member
Yes indeed however look at the date ;)

Also is the wiring working? Posters suggested there was a problem, has this been fixed yet?

Northern reported late last night via Twitter that the disruption had been cleared. No mention of any formation changes on the Liverpoo-Manchester Airport this morning so maybe things back to normal? Hopefully someone on the ground can confirm or deny.

QueensCurve

Established Member
It was announced at least several days ago that a Class 319 had been named Northern Powerhouse. I thought it was the same day that this was published, which would make it 20 March - and this confirms it. So why would the name be covered up, with covering partly torn off again, four days later?

Here's a thread which appeared on Twirrer:-

https://twitter.com/JohnDalton6011/status/579374933396045824
I have inserted two photos into the Combined Volume which I took last Tuesday, 24th March at Lime St, as Photos 3608c and 3608b.

Any link or URL?

snowball

Established Member
Just scroll back through LDEC's posts until you find one. There's bound to be one not far back.

LDECRexile

Established Member
You got it right.I.set 390104 for return uninterrupted run then got call via gsmr that all runs cancelled because of OHLE problems @Huyton. Now scheduled for Thursday night same times.hope the weather is somewhat better (thought a bath had been emptied on cab windscreen)

10min @ Edgehill was while test and monetering equipment was set on the 3 transformers.
390104 Was then put into boost mode (Max available power) then I wacked her open .

Very interesting, thank you.

The films we took appear to show lights pointing upwards from the Pendolino, possibly at where the Pantograph(s) meet the wires.

Is this normal, or are they switched on for special occasions or are they fitted for test purposes?

Good luck if you're up front tomorrow.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

The films we took appear to show lights pointing upwards from the Pendolino, possibly at where the Pantograph(s) meet the wires.

Is this normal, or are they switched on for special occasions or are they fitted for test purposes?

Only a few?? Pendolinos (or only the one going by later replies) have pan and OHLE monitoring equipment (lights and CCTV) fitted, and I assume the relevant specific units must have been allocated to these trials.

However since the 379s came into service I believe they and all future AC EMUs (such as the 387s) have the capability as standard.

Last edited:

driver_m

Established Member

its the alsthom labelled set. It has a permanent pan monitoring set fitted which is on all the time. Theres a video of it in action with a pan getting destroyed by faulty ole which is an eye opener (not on general view as far as i'm aware sorry!)

ironstone11

Last edited:

topgun390

yep its on for Thurs.390104/010 both have pan mon equip on

Class377/5

Established Member
Only a few?? Pendolinos (or only the one going by later replies) have pan and OHLE monitoring equipment (lights and CCTV) fitted, and I assume the relevant specific units must have been allocated to these trials.

However since the 379s came into service I believe they and all future AC EMUs (such as the 387s) have the capability as standard.

Class 700s have pan cameras and lights to, so the Desiro City and Aventra ranges can offer it as standard.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I am delighted that John Evans has sent two sets of photos for publication.

The first set are eight shots of Pendolinos diverted along the eastern half of the Chat Moss route at Easter 2014.

The second set are three he took at Earlestown Platform 5 in the early hours of Tuesday morning when th etest runs were aborted and 390 104 had to make its way back to Edge Hill via Warrington BQ and Crewe.

As usual I have created an album for John's material, it is here:

www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157651706566841/

I have also added them to the Combined Volume, along with a few I took this afternoon on a detour after family commitments, here:

www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Thank you John and welcome aboard.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Don't forget the 379s. They have forward facing track cameras too.

Class377/5 was replying to a post in which I had already mentioned that 379s have pantograph cameras, so there was possibly no need to repeat that...

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
I understand that work this weekend will include:

1. footbridge parapet extension at Manchester Victoria

2. decommission Manchester North Signal Box and re-control to Manchester (ROC)

3. follow up works at Kearsley & Moses Gate

4. Farnworth Tunnel

5. platform edges at Manchester Victoria.

Manchester Victoria will be INACCESSIBLE ON SUNDAY, even to staff

I apologise in advance if I have misinterpreted anything told to me in good faith

Dave
If anyone is thinking of going to Broad Green to see 390 x 2 fireworks tonight, bear in mind that platform lights will be off, I've been and asked.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Looks like the Pendolinos ran last night, did anyone go out to see them?

Similar schedule is in the database for tonight as well.
... and what about this one, also last night:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O86328/2015/04/02/advanced

Yes, Paul and I filmed them at Earlestown, images in process, but they take ages to load.

The tests were successful, culminating in two 390s crossing near Broad Green, both doing 90 mph accelerating under full load.

Tonight's planned tests are likely to be cancelled, given last night's success.

The electrical faults which led to the termination of tests earlier in the week were not caused by the tests or the 390s. They were coincidence.

Other titbits:

390s are gauge cleared to run along the Wigan Branch, though few Virgin drivers sign the route. It is up our sleeve for the future.

May 2nd and 3rd 390s will be diverted through Rainhill to Lime St when engineering work is taking place on the Runcorn line.

Ditto later in May, no specific dates.

Autotransformers likely to be installed later this year. There is apparently no rush to do so now because it will run off clobber being installed on the WCML, which isn't yet in place. (Apologies if I misunderstood that, my fault if I did.)

(Autotransformer insulators and wires are still missing over Sankey Viaduct as well as Roby-Huyotn Jct by the way.)

We had a great night, merely damp this time!

Yours certifiably

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.