• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I've now tidied up and annotated the shots I took on Friday around Allerton Depot.

They are in the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811

Later on that trio I went over Sankey Viaduct. Extensive earthworks are taking place to the south of the structure, probably not on railway land. Having spent quite some time there, but not for a couple of months, I reckon it may be stabilisation as the bank was visibly insecure and could threaten the commercial buildings to the east.

Does anyone know what's being done?

Does anyone have any info on cleaning the viaduct?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cirithungol

Later on that trio I went over Sankey Viaduct. Extensive earthworks are taking place to the south of the structure, probably not on railway land. Having spent quite some time there, but not for a couple of months, I reckon it may be stabilisation as the bank was visibly insecure and could threaten the commercial buildings to the east.

It could be this:

http://www.sthelens.gov.uk/newsroom...up-work,-wildlife-and-heritage-opportunities/

LDECRexile

Established Member

Good find, thank you.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've asked an insider correspondent whether s/he knows whether Lime St to Warrington BQ via Earlestown is 'on' to go electric in December.

S/he kindly replied:

All training at Lime St complete now. As far as I know it is Northern's intention to start electrics to Bank Quay come December but I've not heard anything official as yet.

Thank you.
I've added some shots to the Combined Volume which I took on Friday, here:

Bevan Price

Established Member
I've now tidied up and annotated the shots I took on Friday around Allerton Depot.

They are in the Combined Volume here:

Part of the bank to the south-east of the viaduct includes tipped industrial (chemical ?) waste. Perhaps the recent wet weather has made it unstable.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Part of the bank to the south-east of the viaduct includes tipped industrial (chemical ?) waste. Perhaps the recent wet weather has made it unstable.

Tipped waste indeed, parts are known locally as "Mucky Mountain."

You could be right about recent extra destabilising.
Paul Gaskell and I went out and about today, notably to explore what's going on at Sankey Viaduct.

The brief discussion above referred to historic tipped waste, what we found was modern tipped material causing real difficulties.

I've added Paul's photos to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157649792560381

and added all our material to the Combined Volume here:

I've also added three fine shots Paul took at St Helens on 18th July to both albums. They appear as Series 4610.

Thank you Paul.
A correspondent has said he's heard 'talk' of Northern aiming to use Springs Branch Depot because Allerton Depot isn't big enough.

He asks if anyone knows where this stands on a scale of 0=total garbage to 10=definitely true.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
A correspondent has said he's heard 'talk' of Northern aiming to use Springs Branch Depot because Allerton Depot isn't big enough.

He asks if anyone knows where this stands on a scale of 0=total garbage to 10=definitely true.

Well the planned electrification of Lostock Jct to Bolton will certainly make this no less feasible.

8A Rail

Established Member

Garbage = 0. It was in the press some weeks ago that the site has been purchase by Orion Rail and to become a training centre for people entering the rail industry.

Likewise, Allerton Depot is plenty big enough to accomodate the 20 Class 319's if need be but unlikely there ever will be 20 on shed at anyone time. Also have some space for over night stays for a handful of DMU's too.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Garbage = 0. It was in the press some weeks ago that the site has been purchase by Orion Rail and to become a training centre for people entering the rail industry.

Likewise, Allerton Depot is plenty big enough to accomodate the 20 Class 319's if need be but unlikely there ever will be 20 on shed at anyone time. Also have some space for over night stays for a handful of DMU's too.

Particularly given that Blackpool North CS will be wired for stabling too.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I did not know that - useful. Glad it will happen as it makes sense. Is there room at Preston for one or two - there used to be. ? :D

Various 319s have been (and may still be) parked up at Preston for longish periods for training purposes, so I presume there's at least one otherwise unused siding.

childwallblues

Established Member
Various 319s have been (and may still be) parked up at Preston for longish periods for training purposes, so I presume there's at least one otherwise unused siding.

The training unit at Preston (319366) has now left for Wolverton Works. A 319 stables overnight at Preston and runs ecs to Wigan NW in the morning.

LDECRexile

Established Member
After a few hours touring Manchester-Blackpool pre-electrification bridge works Paul Gaskell and I called at Astley Level Crossing. We had both crossed it umpteen times by rail, but this site visit was a first for both of us.

I've added Paul's photos to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157649792560381

and added both our efforts to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157648494725811

Thank you for the images and good company Paul.

Class 170101

Established Member
Were 319s shifted from elsewhere then?

eg Not running between Liverpool and Manchester due to a Blocked to Electric Traction somewhere so to cover EMUs ran to Warrington releasing DMUs for these duties.

8A Rail

Established Member
And possibly helping to provide more capacity, due to the music festival in Liverpool at Bank Holiday weekend ?

Also Creamfields at Daresbury?

Not sure in either case as both locations are not close to railway stations to begin with. Majority of the International Music Festival was held in Sefton Park which is surrounded by many bus routes (nearest station, poss Mossley Hill). Unless there was shuttle bus at WBQ to / from Daresbury on Sunday, then don't see many people using the trains to get to Daresbury and Sefton Park. Likewise, I think especially at Creamfields, many people would be there for the whole weekend.

I think it was just co-incidence that the Class 319's were operating on the same weekend.

childwallblues

Established Member
I think it was just co-incidence that the Class 319's were operating on the same weekend.[/QUOTE]

Probably right. More likely to provide increased capacity into Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.