• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There is or was a HMRI requirement for better standard of fencing on third rail lines because of the increased risk of electrocution. I'm not aware of anything relating to lines with OLE.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There is or was a HMRI requirement for better standard of fencing on third rail lines because of the increased risk of electrocution. I'm not aware of anything relating to lines with OLE.

There's also loads of the third rail area with normal post and wire fencing, especially once outside built up areas. I don't really think that it is much different to a non-electric line in areas where there is little trespass risk.

urbophile

Established Member
There are also several (many?) instances of pedestrian crossings over 3rd-rail-electrified track. Kent and Merseyside for two examples.

PDG1949

There are also several (many?) instances of pedestrian crossings over 3rd-rail-electrified track. Kent and Merseyside for two examples.

I'm not local enough to check it, but I'm guessing with 3rd rail that at level and pedestrian rail crossings, there's probably a short neutral section with the live connection to the following section made underground.

Further to the above, have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_rail. Even having a natural break can be hazardous !

Last edited:

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
There's also loads of the third rail area with normal post and wire fencing, especially once outside built up areas. I don't really think that it is much different to a non-electric line in areas where there is little trespass risk.

Electrified routes were supposed to have better fencing and better vegetation management, that's why the BR-era electric units don't have obstacle deflectors fitted, but the BR-era diesel units do (after being retro-fitted) but it was a BR decision, not a regulatory issue.

In many cases, new fencing is going up because during tree clearance prior to electrification, old fences are damaged, they fall down, or there's easier public access for which a small fence is considered unsuitable. That's in addition to new bits of OLE or power supply which we don't want people going near.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Electrified routes were supposed to have better fencing and better vegetation management, that's why the BR-era electric units don't have obstacle deflectors fitted, but the BR-era diesel units do (after being retro-fitted) but it was a BR decision, not a regulatory issue.

In many cases, new fencing is going up because during tree clearance prior to electrification, old fences are damaged, they fall down, or there's easier public access for which a small fence is considered unsuitable. That's in addition to new bits of OLE or power supply which we don't want people going near.

And the Maintainer insists on it, as it's a higher spec and lasts longer, but the Project pays for it, not them ...

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
There's even a lot of palisade fencing on the Borders Railway.

It's basically an electrified railway without the electrification. Signalling is compatible with 25kV AC, bridges have sufficient clearance, signalling cable runs are properly documented, drainage is in sensible locations, and so on.

Class 170101

Established Member
It's basically an electrified railway without the electrification. Signalling is compatible with 25kV AC, bridges have sufficient clearance, signalling cable runs are properly documented, drainage is in sensible locations, and so on.

How long do these clearance standards last before they are superseded on average though?

Ploughman

Established Member

What do you consider to be sensible locations?

I know in the past OHLE schemes seem to have had a magnetic attraction to planting masts in existing drain runs.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
What do you consider to be sensible locations?

I know in the past OHLE schemes seem to have had a magnetic attraction to planting masts in existing drain runs.

The Borders Railway has the drainage runs a little closer/tighter to the track, instead of being a bit further out into the cess. They're, in part, where they are to give passive provision for electrification, but they're also where they are to give passive provision for further double tracking of the route.

The detailed drawings will help enormously if/when the route is electrified too, there's a lot of drawings which went missing in the days of Railtrack, and a lot of track alignment drift over the years, so even if drawings exist, they can be quite inaccurate. That has been an issue for various things over the years, curious drainage or flooding issues which are revealed to be damaged drainage nobody knew about.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
How long do these clearance standards last before they are superseded on average though?

There's no hard and fast clearance standards for our conventional railways - contact wire has a range it can be in. The new bridges were built to take a contact wire height of 4.7 metres, so ordinary catenary can be used, no rigid overhead conductor.

Bowshank Tunnel would need rigid overhead conductor, from memory there was no way to get the trackbed lower, and that's already using slab track.

Ploughman

Established Member
The Borders Railway has the drainage runs a little closer/tighter to the track, instead of being a bit further out into the cess. They're, in part, where they are to give passive provision for electrification, but they're also where they are to give passive provision for further double tracking of the route.

The detailed drawings will help enormously if/when the route is electrified too, there's a lot of drawings which went missing in the days of Railtrack, and a lot of track alignment drift over the years, so even if drawings exist, they can be quite inaccurate. That has been an issue for various things over the years, curious drainage or flooding issues which are revealed to be damaged drainage nobody knew about.

No excuse when the mast is planted between 2 drain catchpits with pipe visible and accessible.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Does this mean that all the work in connection with Manchester-Liverpool etc electrification is still not complete?

Counting the work on Middlewood Viaduct etc as Ordsall Chord work, not Liv-Man work I can only think of three physical works not yet complete:

1. the Sutton Leach footbridge parapets as per today's photos

2. the nearby Marshalls Cross road bridge parapets, as per Paul's recent shots

3. work on the outside tracks and OHLE at Allerton Depot.

I'll be going past Allerton by train tomorrow, so I'll report on how that looks when I get home tomorrow night.

A possible No. 4 is parapets on Earlestown station footbridge, which had notices saying they were to be raised ages ago, but I never noticed any changes. That might well be my error.

No. 5 is cleaning the Sankey Viaduct, which would make a wonderful finale, perhaps on the day a new sooped up timetable starts?

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
I'll be going past Allerton by train tomorrow, so I'll report on how that looks when I get home tomorrow night.

Mission not accomplished.

I was so involved with a lady, her bags and children getting their seats Allerton Depot was past and gone before I could pay heed. It was dark on my way past in the evening.

Not the end of the world.

PDG1949

Leach Lane (St Helens) ?Works?

Visited Leach Lane footbridge this evening as the footpath is "due" to re-open at 5 pm tomorrow afternoon.

Everything was precisely the same as Dave's photos 5732 i and m - effectively gated off closed (one assumes both sides!) with the plywood sheets removed and nothing more substantial put in its place (as per Rainhill Station footbridges ). Yet the Council planning notice - see 5732 k - (which incidentally is lying on the grass) specifically says 'work on bridge parapets'.

Anyone any the wiser as to what's happening? Maybe it's going to be demolished and the original first cross-railway bridge in the world next to it is set to be re-opened as a super new heritage footbridge ??:p

DJH1971

Established Member
Leach Lane (St Helens) ?Works?

Visited Leach Lane footbridge this evening as the footpath is "due" to re-open at 5 pm tomorrow afternoon.

Everything was precisely the same as Dave's photos 5732 i and m - effectively gated off closed (one assumes both sides!) with the plywood sheets removed and nothing more substantial put in its place (as per Rainhill Station footbridges ). Yet the Council planning notice - see 5732 k - (which incidentally is lying on the grass) specifically says 'work on bridge parapets'.

Anyone any the wiser as to what's happening? Maybe it's going to be demolished and the original first cross-railway bridge in the world next to it is set to be re-opened as a super new heritage footbridge ??:p

It reopened this morning

snowball

Established Member
So is the bridge any different from before the electrification started?

(Apologies, I'm not familiar with the site and haven't memorised any old pictures of it from the early days of the albums.)

Status
Not open for further replies.