• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie

That location is actually part of the Ordsall Chord works rather than the Preston scheme, and are in a very complex area.
Although there isn't much to go on yet, the masts, cantilevers and registration gear on the Preston line look to be standard Series 2 stuff.

Presumably it's a different contractor or designer, as those fittings are definitely not series 2.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PDG1949

Looks like there was a problem early morning, and northern's recovery plan involved running a unit to St Helens Central from Edge Hill and reversing using the none electrified crossover to return at the right time. The 1003 looks to be the continuation of that. But I'm guessing a little.

The 1403 interworked with a CLC stopping service from Manchester Oxford Road

Thanks for that - interesting - but I wonder why they never electrified that crossover ? :(

Established Member
I was told on Monday afternoon (on a 156 by the guard) that 2 319s had failed on Monday morning

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

That's a fantastic set of slides, NR at its best .
More detail than has ever been shown before on NW and TP projects.
It also shows the complexity of the subcontractor arrangements and the technical challenges.
I never thought of mining issues being behind the Bolton line OHLE redesign.
It also lifts the lid on the TP route upgrades - eg 80mph Vic-Diggle, 100 on to Leeds and 110/125 on to York.
Thanks for sharing.

Dixie

There's another meeting later in the year at the same location which also looks interesting: Thursday 9th November 2017 - Orsdall Chord (Matt Benson, Network Rail).

fflint

Thanks Joseph for the NR link, very informative. Thanks again to all our contributors for their time and the info you give. These North West electrification threads have and are always full of useful information and don't degenerate into silly arguments that are found on many other Rail UK Forums.:(

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I went to the conference it was a really good day. I would encourage any of you who wish to do so to go to PWI meetings there are some very technical presentations given.

childwallblues

Established Member
I passed a 156 working the 1500 Liverpool-Wigan yesterday.
RTT shows some early cancellations on the Liverpool-Wigan route yesterday "due to a problem with the train/traction equipment" - maybe it was that.
I was on an all-white 319 from Preston - a bit much in the bright sun!
The Lime St concourse is degenerating into a building site for Buckingham.

I was on the 1530 ex Preston which was white 319362. I bailed at Huyton and had the pleasure of 319450 for the short trip to Broad Green.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
There's another meeting later in the year at the same location which also looks interesting: Thursday 9th November 2017 - Orsdall Chord (Matt Benson, Network Rail).

Speaking as a Fellow the PWI, can I say that everyone (and indeed anyone) is welcome to come along to any section meeting - details are on the PWI website, like the one above.

Continuing the sales pitch on behalf of my (second) alma mater, PWI membership is open to anyone with an interest in the railway industry, whether they are actively employed in it or not. We hold regular section meetings, technical seminars, joint events with ICE, IMechE, IRSE, IRO, etc. and you get a glossary mag every quarter. Fringe benefits are 10% at Ian Allen bookshops (if that's still true I don't know). Apprentice and Student membership rates are available!

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Slide 4, bullet three says:
"Comprises 4 discreet programmes of work under a single leadership team to ..."
Why keep these four programmes confidential?

Err... that's the first four items in the graphic directly below, on the same page, in plain sight. The ellipsis is because the reasons for a single leadership team would fill several slides and don't actually matter much; it's just complicated and historic.

snowball

Established Member
Err... that's the first four items in the graphic directly below, on the same page, in plain sight. The ellipsis is because the reasons for a single leadership team would fill several slides and don't actually matter much; it's just complicated and historic.

I think AM9 was referring to the use of "discreet" when "discrete" was meant.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Speaking as a Fellow the PWI, can I say that everyone (and indeed anyone) is welcome to come along to any section meeting - details are on the PWI website, like the one above.

Continuing the sales pitch on behalf of my (second) alma mater, PWI membership is open to anyone with an interest in the railway industry, whether they are actively employed in it or not. We hold regular section meetings, technical seminars, joint events with ICE, IMechE, IRSE, IRO, etc. and you get a glossary mag every quarter. Fringe benefits are 10% at Ian Allen bookshops (if that's still true I don't know). Apprentice and Student membership rates are available!

Seconded!!

you learn so much form most meetings and it is definitely worth while. There is particularly a lot of presentations on projects in the north at the moment.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Trains do fail. Look at the problems at City Thameslink when a 700 sat down for four hours.

Looks like another batch of failures today.
At least 3 DMUs were substituting for 319s on the Wigan line.
I got a 142 on the 1030 Liverpool-Preston, and picked it up again (!) on a Wigan local in the afternoon.
We passed 2 separate 156s on the return leg.
I can't see any cancellations, so they must have been on these diagrams all day.
The conductor apologised for the "short train".

adam9413

Looks like another batch of failures today.
At least 3 DMUs were substituting for 319s on the Wigan line.
I got a 142 on the 1030 Liverpool-Preston, and picked it up again (!) on a Wigan local in the afternoon.
We passed 2 separate 156s on the return leg.
I can't see any cancellations, so they must have been on these diagrams all day.
The conductor apologised for the "short train".

2 x 156 on 2F54 1632 Liverpool Lime Street to Wigan North Western

Status
Not open for further replies.