• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Yes indeed, but there was nothing stopping them putting in the turnout and associated signalling/OLE last time round, in the same way the station platforms and 4th track through them were done.
I'm intrigued that there might have been a redesign, and whether this is an upgrade or downgrade!

I'm pretty sure there is a limit on how long you can keep a non commissioned piece of S&C in on the ground (6 months I think) so I doubt they could have put the turnout in without a derogation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
Other than the Metropolitan Railway (London Underground) between (I think) West Hampstead and Wembley Park where the slow lines (Stanmore Branch - present day Jubilee Line) are the centre pair of tracks, with the fast tracks being on the outside, is this the first time an arrangement of tracks been done like this on the heavy rail network?

The layout proposed for Huyton isn't like the Metropolitan / Jubilee layout.

The Huyton layout from the track diagram linked to above is slow, fast, slow, fast from top to bottom of diagram.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Other than the Metropolitan Railway (London Underground) between (I think) West Hampstead and Wembley Park where the slow lines (Stanmore Branch - present day Jubilee Line) are the centre pair of tracks, with the fast tracks being on the outside, is this the first time an arrangement of tracks been done like this on the heavy rail network?

There are a few places on the WCML where tracks are interposed - all northbound.
At Rugby, the old Down Fast became the Down Slow, with a new DF built on the site of the old (lifted) DS.
Something similar happens between Hartford and Acton Bridge.
At both places you get freights stopped in the centre of the layout while fast trains overtake "on the inside".
At Colwich, the Down Fast weaves over to the Down Slow (with a slower speed limit) to become the Down Crewe.
The layout there has always been unusual as the Crewe/Stoke lines sort themselves out.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

The short section (about 2 miles) from Southampton Central and through Millbrook until the four track layout reduces back to two tracks has the fasts outside the slows, line designations are UF/US/DS/DF in the sectional appendix.

But as pointed out already, Huyton/Roby isn't actually laid out this way.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member

I'm pretty sure the Lancs & Yorks Rly had just such an arrangement on what we now know as the Atherton line westwards from Brindle Heath to at least Dobbs Brow Jn. Little trace remains today as the current two-track formation has been slewed in many places and some road bridges rebuilt thereby disguising the original layout.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure the Lancs & Yorks Rly had just such an arrangement on what we now know as the Atherton line westwards from Brindle Heath to at least Dobbs Brow Jn. Little trace remains today as the current two-track formation has been slewed in many places and some road bridges rebuilt thereby disguising the original layout.

The northern pair were the slow lines, with the lesser stations having a single island between them, but the fast lines were both to the south. See for example the bridge over the line at Swinton, where the span north of the platform is only big enough for one track but the southern one has room for three tracks.

https://binged.it/2qLDDkd

QueensCurve

Established Member

It is similar to the old track layout from Rugeley to Colwich where the the lines, from West to East,, were:-

1. Down Fast
  2. Down Slow
  3. Up Fast
  4. Up Slow
This changed (for the worse) on completion of the Trent Valley Four Tracking.

As mentioned above a similar arrangement applies between Hartford and Acton Bridge so that freight trains from the CLC can reach the Down Slow without having to cross the Down Fast.

Last edited:

Holly

There are a few places on the WCML where tracks are interposed - all northbound.
At Rugby, the old Down Fast became the Down Slow, with a new DF built on the site of the old (lifted) DS.
Something similar happens between Hartford and Acton Bridge.
At both places you get freights stopped in the centre of the layout while fast trains overtake "on the inside". ...
Make that "on the outside".

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Make that "on the outside".

"On the left" then. ;)
In both cases, the rearrangement saved renewing/upgrading the old 110mph Fast line, while the new track took over as the 125mph route.
The odd situation around Rugeley is to sort out the traffic for the junction at Colwich.
Some thought was also given to going SFFS between Milford and Crewe, but it would have meant a remodelling at Crewe which was not on the agenda.
The new flyover at Norton Bridge rather fixes the existing layout now.

nw-sparks

I was rather surprised yesterday evening to see a track machine parked on the fourth line near Roby station. I would have expected this sort of work to wait until the line is connected.

8A Rail

Established Member
I was rather surprised yesterday evening to see a track machine parked on the fourth line near Roby station. I would have expected this sort of work to wait until the line is connected.
Interesting but I assume it would a road/rail track machine as such as no way you currently get the larger rail only track machine's on that section with Roby (Compound) as the only access point with road access to that location for larger vehicles not easy.

nw-sparks

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Last edited:

1179_Clee2

It think it is definitely a road lorry based machine.

Look to the mainly white cab at the other end.

The comment on the North West Sparks web site says it is a Plasser and Theurer 08-16 tamper so not a lorry based unit unless moved that way onto the isolated section of track.
Only 3 companies use 08-16 tampers
Colas Rail (not in Colas livery)
Balfour Beatty (no longer got the contract)
Swietelsky Babcock Rail

nw-sparks

IF I've got the number TPB51002 right, then ontrackplant.com says it belongs to Volker Rail. One of their pictures shows it on the back of an articulated truck.

1179_Clee2

IF I've got the number TPB51002 right, then ontrackplant.com says it belongs to Volker Rail. One of their pictures shows it on the back of an articulated truck.

My info is from Platform 5's 2017 pocket book.

The ONLY Volker Rail tampers listed in their book are
1 x Plasser and Theurer Euromat 08-4x4/4S
3 x Matisa B45 UE
5 x Matisa B41 UE

It could be a brand new machine bought after Platform 5's published their book.
It would then have the European 12 digit number and the shorter number as well.

Last edited:

DJH1971

Established Member
Interesting but I assume it would a road/rail track machine as such as no way you currently get the larger rail only track machine's on that section with Roby (Compound) as the only access point with road access to that location for larger vehicles not easy.

I saw it too

snowball

Established Member
I don't claim any relevance to the identification of the recently observed machine, but I thought people might be interested to see this series of pictures posted on Skyscrapercity by Ricky Bates (richardio123) in May 2014, showing the Metrolink airport line under construction. In some of the pictures a Plasser & Theurer tamper owned by VolkerRail transfers itself from a road trailer to the track.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=114147863&postcount=37335

Last edited:

childwallblues

Established Member

8A Rail

Established Member
Went into Liverpool at teatime and noted at Huyton Junction along side the new fence (bus station / car park side), there are 5 new concrete bases awaiting stanchions. One of the bases is quite substantial which suggests a more heavyweight stanchion being placed there. Certainly some of the existing live stanchions will disappear. Currently nothing new around the BT building or in around Roby Juntion either with the exception of various paint markings in the ballast between down slow and up lines - markings for the new track?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Went into Liverpool at teatime and noted at Huyton Junction along side the new fence (bus station / car park side), there are 5 new concrete bases awaiting stanchions. One of the bases is quite substantial which suggests a more heavyweight stanchion being placed there. Certainly some of the existing live stanchions will disappear. Currently nothing new around the BT building or in around Roby Juntion either with the exception of various paint markings in the ballast between down slow and up lines - markings for the new track?

There are some heavy-duty bases on the south side of the track near Huyton Jn as well, right next to existing ones with masts.
Lime St was full of dust on Monday from the demolition work on P8/9, not pleasant at all.

Elecman

Established Member
Final ole support for St Helens crossover installed last night it's to be wired very shortly

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.