• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ploughman

Established Member
The item at Roby is the Self propelled version operated by a bloke with a large handset.
The You tube clip is of the R/Railer version.

Both do the same job.
The SP Version is better for initial clip up on a relay with no ballast in place as it has a clamp that can lower and pick up the sleeper tightly, the R/R version does not.

DJH1971

Established Member
Is it me or is the NW Sparks website down at the moment?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The site appears to be okay now.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just gone into Liverpool this morning and noticed this.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I drove along the M57 yesterday, as I do most Tuesdays.

I was pleased to see that the previously bare Twin Track Cantilever ("Gallows") masts at either end of the Chat Moss bridge have sprouted a whole load of dangly metalwork.

DJH1971

Established Member
And saw plenty of the orange army out in force between Lea Green and Huyton.

Also saw the Balfour Beatty wiring train at Tuebrook being loaded up with OHLE structures.

8A Rail

Established Member
By the way, noted an image yesterday taken at East end of Roby Station (Platform One) and there has been a mast erected - start of things to come.

8A Rail

Established Member
Just a quick one - a mast put up at Whiston Station about 2 months ago was taken down yesterday! Strange put true!
Now returned in last couple of days, seem to be replaced by a different type of mast which is stand alone to support over head stanchion. Other masts in station have their stanchions already in place.

petersi

Is all the north west electrification going to be completed before say Leeds York or is that a separate project with its own tread

PS I know Leeds York is north east just interested to now how they relate

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Is all the north west electrification going to be completed before say Leeds York or is that a separate project with its own tread
PS I know Leeds York is north east just interested to now how they relate

North West and TP electrification were initially approved as separate projects.
But the more time passes the more overlap there seems to be.
NW is supposed to finish December 2016, and includes Manchester Victoria-Stalybridge but not Guide Bridge-Stalybridge.
TP is now scheduled to start on site in March 2016 and be ready for December 2018 (also Guide Bridge-Stalybridge).
It is almost a gradual progression from west to east, although there are supposed to be two contractors (Balfour Beatty for NW, Carillion for TP).
Since announcing the TP scheme, it has gone very quiet about that stretch.
Carillion is also doing EGIP, and the resources may be being shared between the two schemes, just as Balfours are apparently sharing the NW resources with the GW Airport-Maidenhead section.

deltic08

On Moderation
North West and TP electrification were initially approved as separate projects.
But the more time passes the more overlap there seems to be.
NW is supposed to finish December 2016, and includes Manchester Victoria-Stalybridge but not Guide Bridge-Stalybridge.
TP is now scheduled to start on site in March 2016 and be ready for December 2018 (also Guide Bridge-Stalybridge).
It is almost a gradual progression from west to east, although there are supposed to be two contractors (Balfour Beatty for NW, Carillion for TP).
Since announcing the TP scheme, it has gone very quiet about that stretch.
Carillion is also doing EGIP, and the resources may be being shared between the two schemes, just as Balfours are apparently sharing the NW resources with the GW Airport-Maidenhead section.

I understand work on replacing a road bridge over Church Fenton station is to begin in the New Year. There has already been a meeting in the village to object to the length of time the road will be closed. It was mentioned by NR over a year ago that York-Leeds would be electrified first as only three bridges need lifting. No mention of Micklefield-Selby.

snowball

Established Member
I think the historical sequence of announcements was

1) Liverpool to Manchester

2) Huyton to Wigan, Manchester to Preston, Preston to Blackpool

3) Manchester to Leeds, Leeds to York, Leeds to Selby

(I can't remember whether Victoria to Stalybridge was part of 2 or 3).

4) Oxenholme to Windermere

5) Bolton to Wigan.

-----------------

Listing them again, now in terms of phase names and currently planned completion dates:

NWEP phase 1, Manchester to N-le-W, completed Dec 2013

NWEP phase 2, supposedly due for completion Dec 2014, comprising

- phase 2a, Liverpool to Earlestown

- phase 2b, Huyton to Wigan

- phase 2c, Ordsall Lane to Man Victoria

NWEP phase 3, Preston to Blackpool, has slipped behind phases 4 and 5 and is now due for completion March 2017

NWEP phase 4, Manchester to Preston, completion due Dec 2016

NWEP phase 5, Victoria to Stalybridge, completion due Dec 2016

Oxenholme to Windermere and Bolton to Wigan, various phase numbers and dates quoted

Guide Bridge to Stalybridge, Stalybridge to Leeds, Leeds to York, York to Selby, completion due December 2018.

The next version of the CP5 Enhancements Delivery Plan is due at the end of this month and some of the dates may turn out to have changed.

There was talk at one time of the sections east from Stalybridge being done in east-to-west order, with the Selby and York areas coming first. The latest version of that seems to be the info in deltic's post.

Last edited:

DJH1971

Established Member
Well, the NW Sparks website is now saying that there will be no trains on Sunday between Huyton to Wigan on 21st September to 12th October.

Grumpy

I understand work on replacing a road bridge over Church Fenton station is to begin in the New Year. There has already been a meeting in the village to object to the length of time the road will be closed. It was mentioned by NR over a year ago that York-Leeds would be electrified first as only three bridges need lifting. No mention of Micklefield-Selby.

Are there any bridges between Micklefield and Selby? I can only think of the one South of the station which seems pretty high. Several level crossings though.

snowball

Established Member
Are there any bridges between Micklefield and Selby? I can only think of the one South of the station which seems pretty high. Several level crossings though.

Looking at the OS mapping, there's the A1(M) bridge and one at Gascoigne Wood mine, both of which are modern and will have good headroom; and a bridge at Gorse Lane, Newthorpe, headroom unknown.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Looking at the OS mapping, there's the A1(M) bridge and one at Gascoigne Wood mine, both of which are modern and will have good headroom; and a bridge at Gorse Lane, Newthorpe, headroom unknown.

I had assumed the A1(M) bridge was the same as the York line (spans both?) and I think Gorse lane is spanning a cutting with plenty of height. So had been thinking Mick-Selby should be relatively cheap.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Well, the NW Sparks website is now saying that there will be no trains on Sunday between Huyton to Wigan on 21st September to 12th October.

The author does also explain that although it is newly added to his works page, it was actually in the main published timetables, and so not mentioned on engineering works posters.

So I think it shouldn't necessarily be seen as a reaction to something, just additional clarification of four Sunday closures that were already planned...

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The author does also explain that although it is newly added to his works page, it was actually in the main published timetables, and so not mentioned on engineering works posters.
So I think it shouldn't necessarily be seen as a reaction to something, just additional clarification of four Sunday closures that were already planned...

Something similar is going on west of Victoria on the next few Sundays.
There are times when the routes via Salford Central is closed, even when the Chat Moss route is apparently open.
NRE is less than clear about the closures.
TPE trains are diverting to Piccadilly, and it looks like there's a Northern bus to Piccadilly to connect to Salford Crescent and beyond.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

I had assumed the A1(M) bridge was the same as the York line (spans both?) and I think Gorse lane is spanning a cutting with plenty of height. So had been thinking Mick-Selby should be relatively cheap.

Guys we do have a Transpennine Sparks THread

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88054&page=9

DJH1971

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.