• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The bridge at the end of Taylors Lane is a spotter's dream with seven WCML tracks running below and the Wigan Branch in view.
As far as I could see the Bamfurlong Branch has a full set of masts, all bar one with arms and it just awaits wires. At the southeastern end there is a mixture of old masts, standing bare and seemingly not to be used, overlapping with new masts. The track looks to have been at least reballasted if not renewed. Three substantial piles of old materials await removal: wooden sleepers, metal sleepers and sections of rail.

Last year I think that the WCML end of the Bamfurlong branch ("Ince Moss Goods") was singled as part of the upgrade of Bamfurlong Jn.
There do seem to be a lot of rusty (electrified) tracks in that layout though.
They seem to have an aversion to using old masts - you can see the same sort of thing at Edge Hill.
Maybe the spec is too low for the new wires.

All told an impressive set of pictures.
At least you didn't fall into Ince Moss in the process!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw-sparks

I can report that rails are now in place, from the east end of Huyton platform 4 westwards into the distance as far as I could see towards Roby.

Phil

DJH1971

Established Member
Heading into Liverpool this morning, I finally saw some OHL steelwork in place at the Wigan-bound line just before it merges in before Huyton.

I also saw the orange army out in force around Olive Mount.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I can report that rails are now in place, from the east end of Huyton platform 4 westwards into the distance as far as I could see towards Roby.

Phil

Heading into Liverpool this morning, I finally saw some OHL steelwork in place at the Wigan-bound line just before it merges in before Huyton.

I also saw the orange army out in force around Olive Mount.

Both these things are great pieces of news

LDECRexile

Established Member
I now have an unexpected opportunity to go out and about on "our" lines tomorrow (Sunday) and am keen to find and photograph teams working on electrification, eg erecting masts, putting wires up and so on.

Does anyone have any knowledge or good guesses where such activity may be taking place?

Last edited:

PDG1949

As my other half is at her daughter's today I went exploring and had great fun between the showers.

I visited:

1. Carr Mill Viaduct, north of St Helens
2. Footbridge c100yds West of Wigan Branch bridge over the M6
3. Bryn Station
4. Taylors Lane, Wigan to explore the Bamfurlong Branch

These locations are shown here:

I have added 42 photos at the end of the following:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110155...rification20134?authkey=Gv1sRgCNmM9tLBtNTlgAE

Great series of photos - a very comprehensive safari !

Billyblue

Hi All,
Just discovered this forum! I live quite close to Huyton Station and most days use the public footpath that runs alongside track 1 towards the station.

The railway is closed today and there's a team of about 10 shifting ballast off the sleepers on track 1 from the station eastwards. As nw-sparks reported, track 4 extends east of Huyton platform 4 towards Roby Station but stopping short of Roby platform 4

Local residents have received a letter regarding overnight work from Sunday 31.08.14 for "the completion of the installation of piled foundations to allow for the construction of new stantions and overhead line equipment to be installed."
Times for this work are; Today 31/08 2pm-2am and then 11pm - 5am Mon, Tues, Wed and Thurs.
Contingency shifts are planned for Sunday 7.09.14- 11.09.14 from 11pm - 5pam

Yesterday, I noticed that all the overhead wiring is in place from approx. Pilch Lane (Roby) Junction to just short of the old overheads west of Wavertree Tec. Park Station

LDECRexile

Established Member
Having an unexpected opportunity to spend a Sunday searching for action on "our" lines I decided to survey the scene from each overbridge in a triangle bounded by the East Lancs Road, Roby and Earlestown, inclusive.

Roby and Huyton produced lots of action, but not electrification, as such. The photographs answer the question "How do you get a road-rail vehicle onto the tracks?" with "Using a heck of a lot of skill!".

I reckon some bases are in place on the North side of the line between Roby Junction and the bridge at Roby, hopefuly someone can confirm this by viewing from a train.

I still can't fugure out where masts will be placed around Huyton Junction itself. The footpath East of Huyton Station squeezes Track 1 in places, Tracks 2 & 3 squeeze each other in places and the land North of Track 4 isn't available (is it?) An interesting puzzle!

At extreme camera and binocular range workers seemed to be working on the two M57 bridges, but that could be a trick of perspective.

I had expected to see seas of orange and wiring trains and the like, but it wasn't thus. I did see one Road-rail vehicle propelling a flat wagon loaded with clobber passing Ravenhead glassworks at St Helens. By the time I had stopped the car and grabbed my camera it had disappeared behind buildings, not to be seen again. At a stroke I was taken back 53 years to the one and only time I saw an unrebuilt Patriot at Chesterfield, I was waiting for the bus to go home and it passed behind a stationary coal train, I never even got its number!

Most of the 44 pictures I've added are from overbridges, with some from trackside where I could get decent views.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110155...rification20134?authkey=Gv1sRgCNmM9tLBtNTlgAE

Last edited:

DJH1971

Established Member
Having an unexpected opportunity to spend a Sunday searching for action on "our" lines I decided to survey the scene from each overbridge in a triangle bounded by the East Lancs Road, Roby and Earlestown, inclusive.

Roby and Huyton produced lots of action, but not electrification, as such. The photographs answer the question "How do you get a road-rail vehicle onto the tracks?" with "Using a heck of a lot of skill!".

I reckon some bases are in place on the North side of the line between Roby Junction and the bridge at Roby, hopefuly someone can confirm this by viewing from a train.

I still can't fugure out where masts will be placed around Huyton Junction itself. The footpath East of Huyton Station squeezes Track 1 in places, Tracks 2 & 3 squeeze each other in places and the land North of Track 4 isn't available (is it?) An interesting puzzle!

At extreme camera and binocular range workers seemed to be working on the two M57 bridges, but that could be a trick of perspective.

I had expected to see seas of orange and wiring trains and the like, but it wasn't thus. I did see one Road-rail vehicle propelling a flat wagon loaded with clobber passing Ravenhead glassworks at St Helens. By the time I had stopped the car and grabbed my camera it had disappeared behind buildings, not to be seen again. At a stroke I was taken back 53 years to the one and only time I saw an unrebuilt Patriot at Chesterfield, I was waiting for the bus to go home and it passed behind a stationary coal train, I never even got its number!

Most of the 44 pictures I've added are from overbridges, with some from trackside where I could get decent views.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101550...NmM9tLBtNTlgAE

I think they will now have to consider a few more Sunday blockades now to get it finished.

Billyblue

Whoops! I'm getting ahead of myself. The overnight piling work near Huyton Station commences on Sunday 31.08.14 which, of course, is NEXT week!!

Billyblue

DJH1971. The original track 1 ran very close to the entire footpath but the new track 1 one is much further away, at the easterly end, gradually coming closer as you reach the station end, where it's very close. There's a base already installed between the path and track 1 about 50 odd metres from the easterly end with another between tracks 2 and 3. There's been a base installed for a few months at the end of platform 1 just in front of the wall at the end of the path.
There should be plenty of space between tracks 2 and 3, from the end of the platforms to the newly installed pair of bases alongside the path, to install masts in the centre.
The land east of the station not yet acquired is just a strip next to the telephone exchange and some of the bus station so, apart from that bit, there should currently be enough space alongside track 4.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Hi All,
Just discovered this forum! I live quite close to Huyton Station and most days use the public footpath that runs alongside track 1 towards the station.

The railway is closed today and there's a team of about 10 shifting ballast off the sleepers on track 1 from the station eastwards. As nw-sparks reported, track 4 extends east of Huyton platform 4 towards Roby Station but stopping short of Roby platform 4

Local residents have received a letter regarding overnight work from Sunday 31.08.14 for "the completion of the installation of piled foundations to allow for the construction of new stantions and overhead line equipment to be installed."
Times for this work are; Today 31/08 2pm-2am and then 11pm - 5am Mon, Tues, Wed and Thurs.
Contingency shifts are planned for Sunday 7.09.14- 11.09.14 from 11pm - 5pam

Yesterday, I noticed that all the overhead wiring is in place from approx. Pilch Lane (Roby) Junction to just short of the old overheads west of Wavertree Tec. Park Station

1. Warm welcome
2. 31 Aug: I feel a mission coming on...let domestic discussions commence.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
DJH1971. The original track 1 ran very close to the entire footpath but the new track 1 one is much further away, at the easterly end, gradually coming closer as you reach the station end, where it's very close. There's a base already installed between the path and track 1 about 50 odd metres from the easterly end with another between tracks 2 and 3. There's been a base installed for a few months at the end of platform 1 just in front of the wall at the end of the path.
There should be plenty of space between tracks 2 and 3, from the end of the platforms to the newly installed pair of bases alongside the path, to install masts in the centre.
The land east of the station not yet acquired is just a strip next to the telephone exchange and some of the bus station so, apart from that bit, there should currently be enough space alongside track 4.

As per my text and photos I agree with everything up to your last para, but it is east of the two bases by the footpath south of track 1 where I'm flummoxed.

There appears to be space on the south side continuing eastwards, no problem, but there doesn't seem to be space between tracks 2&3 and, unless they can use the newly acquired strip to the north the only way I can see them proceeding is to put masts north of track 3. If they do that they'll have to take them down again when track 4 is laid, which sounds like disruptive and expensive hard work.

I may be barking up the wrong tree, perhaps all will be revealed on 31 August.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I think they will now have to consider a few more Sunday blockades now to get it finished.

No chance, the operators wouldnt allow the access this close and the cost in compensation if they did would be eye watering.

Class 170101

Established Member
No chance, the operators wouldnt allow the access this close and the cost in compensation if they did would be eye watering.

Eye watering compensation might encourage the individual operators to accept a possession to be honest however those with no benefit to gain from the disruption could scupper it. However it doesn't exactly encourage NR to becvome more organised and efficient if they can resort to this backstop method of working for railway improvements (emergencies clearly are a different matter).

I can think of a couple of situations where NR have used this lately to get projects completed on time.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The first mast east of Sankey Viaduct has gone up.
It is the first one on the embankment just off the viaduct (north side).
So Earlestown is at last getting some attention.

No change at Manchester Vic - still 6-7 gantries missing.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
... unless they can use the newly acquired strip to the north the only way I can see them proceeding is to put masts north of track 3. If they do that they'll have to take them down again when track 4 is laid, which sounds like disruptive and expensive hard work.

I may be barking up the wrong tree, perhaps all will be revealed on 31 August.

However, this is indeed the current plan. One of the new turnouts also has to be taken up and away and replaced with a crossover; all part of the cunning plan to provide a down loop for Dec 2014 and an Up loop for Dec 2016.

Wavertreelad

Wow, very detailed reply. Thanks!

At the time I couldn't remember where I had seen the picture, but just found it on the link below. It shows what used to be four track section at Wavertree with the original 1960's catenary across all four tracks eastwards where some of the old posts remain. The picture was taken where today the green bridge into the Technology Park crosses the Chat Moss lines where the Bootle Branch emerges. Edge Hill shed is the large building on the right and the lines of coal wagons was the coal yard which was later enlarged to include the two far running lines. The black bridge visible in the distance is the Edge Hill Circular line which was demolished to make way for Wavertree Technology Park Station. If you look through the centre span of the bridge, the Rathbone Road bridge is just visible. In the foreground, the trackbed of the line up the bank from Olive Mount Junction to the Viaduct across the Chat Moss Lines is clear. I can remember watching large chunks of the viaduct being removed by road through Rathbone Road coal depot entrance in the 1960's but am unable to find any pictures of the structure. I would guess the picture was taken in the early 1970's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/happyraildays/6160004875/

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I guess two diagrams are supposed to go over to electric in December and two DMUs are needed elsewhere. Although as one of them is for Todmorden Curve and the signalling doesn't appear to be ready, perhaps it's not quite so critical now.

DJH1971

Established Member
Where is the urgency with only two 319s available before Xmas

I know I do harp on a bit about this, but NR are still insistent on saying December 2014 as the date of completion. I wholehardliy admit I have kept on repeating myself here, but I simply feel that progress hasn't been as quick as I personally bargained for.

Could be something to do with the fact that I do tend to compare the progress of phase 2 with phase 1, and also that I only like within a couple of minutes walking distance from the line.

deltic08

On Moderation
I know I do harp on a bit about this, but NR are still insistent on saying December 2014 as the date of completion. I wholehardliy admit I have kept on repeating myself here, but I simply feel that progress hasn't been as quick as I personally bargained for.

Could be something to do with the fact that I do tend to compare the progress of phase 2 with phase 1, and also that I only like within a couple of minutes walking distance from the line.

Are there financial penalties for missed targets by contractors?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Are there financial penalties for missed targets by contractors?

Probably, but it will depend on the contract, and how easy it is to scope and cost accurately.
You'd think most of Phase 2 would be pretty modular and repeatable.
There were no major engineering challenges like Chat Moss on Phase 1.
There was some talk of unexpected old coal workings on the Wigan line affecting foundation work.
Balfour Beatty are probably not responsible for late planning approval for the heritage sites (that might be down to the Council or NR).
I can't remember any really bad weather during the construction phase (I can well believe the GW project was hit by the Thames Valley floods last winter).
If the contractor is at fault NR can always ditch them for one of the other approved electrification contractors - but at the cost of a project delay.
BB are down to do all the NW work and also Airport Jn-Maidenhead on the GW project.
There are also probably issues of skills and resource availability on all the electrification projects which we can't judge.

In a search to discover the background to the wiring train being used by Balfour Beatty on the NW scheme, I came across this article on the web:
http://www.structuralfaultsandrepair.com/EL-Walsh.pdf
It's about the performance of the Windhoff High Output train used on the WCRM OHLE upgrade in 2000-05.
This seemed to go well as a Railtrack/NR/Balfour Beatty project at the time (though there were stories about it being banned as out-of-gauge on arrival!).
It also only did rewiring, with no great volume of foundation and mast work.
There was a suggestion on the forum that this train is the one being used by BB at Edge Hill, but it doesn't look the same to me - the current wiring train is numbered DR 72213.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I appear to be in a minority of one (unless you count Network Rail, which would make us two) in thinking we're still "on" for December.

My extensive gadding about over recent days were encouraging:

1. Whole swathes of track are wireless, but have a large majority of masts bearing fixings
2. Network Rail keep their colours nailed to the mast, rather than preparing the world for problems
3. Last Sunday's marked lack of mass visible effort might be bravado or confidence
4. The laid back tone of the notice to Huyton residents might be the same.
5. Lots of wires are up, especially north of Carr Mill

There are a number of possible fallback scenarios should things get really iffy, eg complete Bamfurlong Branch later and/or complete Wigan Branch (or Chat Moss) later.

Once bases are in place things get faster, for example, I visited Earlestown on Sunday early afternoon and not a sausage of activity. LNWR-GWR Joint visited on Monday and a mast was up.

The areas which disconcert me are ones where bases are missing, as they pose the most imponderables - will they strike a cable or an unexpected void or a newt's nest or whatever?

These worrisome spots appear to me to be:

1. Roby Junction to Roby Bridge, North side - has anyone confirmed or otherwise that what appear to be "lids" using binoculars are lids on curing bases or on cabling?
2. Roby Station eastwards beyond the lone base at platform end to Huyton Station west end.
3. Huyton Junction area, north side (to be done 31 Aug)
4. Chat Moss M57 bridge
5. Rainhill station
6. Sankey Viaduct
7. Earlestown Platforms 1 & 2
8. Wigan Branch M57 bridge
9. Wigan Branch A580 (East Lancs Road) bridge
10. Carr Mill Viaduct
12. M6 Viaduct

13. Possible issue with mast "to be moved" at Lea Green station

I am not an engineer, it may be that wanging masts onto structures such as viaducts and bridges is easier and less fraught with imponderables than sending down piling into the earth, in which case some or even most of the above may look hard but be relatively easy.

I'd offer evens that we're "on".

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I appear to be in a minority of one (unless you count Network Rail, which would make us two) in thinking we're still "on" for December.

I agree with you, but it will be close!
I am more interested in the wider electrification programme than any one project, as it is important for NR to get up a real momentum to wire all the approved lines in CP5.
We all want to see the benefits asap.

Progress is faster than on Phase 1. That took 22 months from first-base to switch-on, and was 15 route miles.
They have been at Phase 2 18 months now (first base installed March 2013), and it is 30 route miles.
There's also the complicated approach to Manchester Victoria to finish.

One would like to think that modern factory methods would produce a better electrification rate than BR achieved on the WCML/ECML projects, but it doesn't feel like it at the moment.

snowball

Established Member
These worrisome spots appear to me to be:

4. Chat Moss M57 bridge
8. Wigan Branch M57 bridge
9. Wigan Branch A580 (East Lancs Road) bridge
12. M6 Viaduct

As I've said before, if there are supports close to the ends of the A580 bridge, I think no support will be required on the bridge.

From Google satellite view the motorway bridges appear to be about 70m, 90m and 100m respectively, so I think all will require a support on the bridge, two for the M6 bridge.

steverailer

Think the lack of wiring is down to the lack of thing to hang it off. They have maybe learnt a lesson from Phase 1 where several runs had to be redone due to twisting of the wire caused my missing masts and cantalevers.

Also once the wiring trains get going it doesn't take long to string it up. Have aloso heard that they are doing it in a more methodical way this time, i.e earth and ATF/RC first then catenary and contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.