• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LDECRexile

Established Member
Even with your excellent photos, it's difficult to tell how they built the bases on the viaduct piers.
I suspect they are of the layered pancake type (like those around Salford Central) rather than poured concrete, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the compliment.

As frequently proclaimed, I know nowt. Nevertheless, I'll stick my neck out and offer this:

1. Agreed, definitely not poured concrete. The blocks are all pre-cast offsite, please see Photo 1708 of the last one waiting to be plonked in the top of Pier 10N. Not layered pancake, but could be one great big lump of Yorkshire Pudding, but maybe that's taking analogy a step too far.

2. Look at the top of the block in Photo 1708 and you will see the protruding bolts for a mast and four significant holes. I reckon that metal similar to scaffolding poles will be poked down through these holes and into drilled holes in the pier. The combination of gravity and these four poles will give vertical and lateral stability. Please see Photos 1623, 4 & 5 at Carr Mill Viaduct for a related idea.

3. In Photo 1710 you can just see two of the holes. However, if you can see two of the holes why isn't the block at risk of vibrating slowly off the pier and over the edge? I reckon either a) said poles have been installed and cut off flush, or b) I'm talking tripe.

4. When the original stonework parapet is cut to fit and replaced as facing material it will lend more stability to the whole.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Did a quick round trip Liverpool-Wigan today, but nothing new to report on the branch from a week ago.
Still the same handful of missing masts, and no new wiring.
East of Huyton, both routes now seem at about the same level of completeness, with the Earlestown route having caught up recently.

There was a lot of local disruption this morning caused by "signalling problems at Earlestown".
Units were all over the place with crew shortages.
The 1200 TPE Manchester Airport-Edinburgh was 2x350 units, pretty empty.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Sorry I couldn't 'blow' up the picture big enough yesterday to be able to read it, have now done so, thats what I meant by being unable to read it.

Thanks for explaining. I'm glad you've cracked it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've just driven up the M57. Cones were laid out along the grass to the sides of the central crash barrier N and S of the Wigan Branch bridge. This suggests that the fast lanes may be closed off later tonight or in the near future, perhaps for plonking masts onto the bolts installed a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone know owt about it?

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I installed the stud bolts on the M57.

Must be nice to be able to say "I did that"!
It set me wondering how many other rail-over-motorway bridges there were on the NW electrification scheme.
The only one I think is over the M60 near Ashton.
All the others I can think of are motorway-over-rail (M55, M60 at Clifton, M61).
Phase 1 had rail bridges over the M60 and M62 near Patricroft.

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
13th and 14th, 2 lanes closed overnight in both directions due to "railway bridge works"

Excellent, thank you.
I installed the stud bolts on the M57.

Well done. Did you take any photos we could see?
Good News

Earlestown has gone from zero to hero in a week.

I went today (Weds) and:

1. looked where no masts existed on Sunday and found a mast and 2 portals up, bedanglied and carrying a wire! A wire now runs from two masts short of Earlestown South Junction almost to Sankey Junction. This means all masts must be up.

2. I looked carefully at the section between the eastern ends of the Chat Moss platforms and the 1974 wiring and found significant progress. The new mast nearest the eastern end of Platform 2 is now bearing the load of 1974 wires eastwards and an arm on the new portal a short distance east of the mast just described bears two 1974 wires. It appears that a similar process of transfer to that at Wavertree is taking place, over a much shorter distance and with less complexity because there's no equivalent of Bootle Branch Junction to consider. As with Wavertree, I now expect some old masts eventually to be demolished.

3. There is more metalwork attached to the masts erected late last week and the third mast on Platform 1 (near the western end, at the back of the Booking Office) has been erected and bedangled.

Our cup runneth over because another wire has gone up from just east of Huyton Junction past Huyton Quarry to just short of Whiston station., making four over the Chat Moss M57 bridge.

The portals east of Roby station are starting to acquire metal decorations, it must be Christmas.

Finally, Roby's Platform 1 lift was being tested whilst I was there, it should be open "by the end of the week". A customarily affable Orange Platoon were doing what their spokesman described as 'finishing jobs."

Finally finally, Carr Mill Viaduct Pier 1's thundering great lump of concrete looks the business, but Pier 4 doesn't look to have been poured yet.

Finally, finally, finally, the eighth and final concrete block mast base is in position on Pier (Column) 10N on Sankey Viaduct. There is evidence of subsequent work on several of the 8 bases, but it's hard to interpret.

Photos later.

Yippee plus!

Last edited:

DJH1971

Established Member
Excellent, thank you.

Well done. Did you take any photos we could see?
Good News

Earlestown has gone from zero to hero in a week.

I went today (Weds) and:

1. looked where no masts existed on Sunday and found a mast and 2 portals up, bedanglied and carrying a wire! A wire now runs from two masts short of Earlestown South Junction almost to Sankey Junction. This means all masts must be up.

2. I looked carefully at the section between the eastern ends of the Chat Moss platforms and the 1974 wiring and found significant progress. The new mast nearest the eastern end of Platform 2 is now bearing the load of 1974 wires eastwards and an arm on the new portal a short distance east of the mast just described bears two 1974 wires. It appears that a similar process of transfer to that at Wavertree is taking place, over a much shorter distance and with less complexity because there's no equivalent of Bootle Branch Junction to consider. As with Wavertree, I now expect some old masts eventually to be demolished.

3. There is more metalwork attached to the masts erected late last week and the third mast on Platform 1 (near the western end, at the back of the Booking Office) has been erected and bedangled.

Our cup runneth over because another wire has gone up from just east of Huyton Junction past Huyton Quarry to just short of Whiston station., making four over the Chat Moss M57 bridge.

The portals east of Roby station are starting to acquire metal decorations, it must be Christmas.

Finally, Roby's Platform 1 lift was being tested whilst I was there, it should be open "by the end of the week". A customarily affable Orange Platoon were doing what their spokesman described as 'finishing jobs."

Finally finally, Carr Mill Viaduct Pier 1's thundering great lump of concrete looks the business, but Pier 4 doesn't look to have been poured yet.

Finally, finally, finally, the eighth and final concrete block mast base is in position on Pier (Column) 10N on Sankey Viaduct. There is evidence of subsequent work on several of the 8 bases, but it's hard to interpret.

Photos later.

Yippee plus!

Yippee indeed!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The weather, having been fairly benign for months, seems to be worsening.
Not too hot in the summer, not too frosty/wet since.
It can't be much fun working at height in the dark in high winds and driving rain/sleet.
I hope we don't get a nasty winter to make things even later...
Some good progress lately.

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
The weather, having been fairly benign for months, seems to be worsening.
Not too hot in the summer, not too frosty/wet since.
It can't be much fun working at height in the dark in high winds and driving rail/sleet.
I hope we don't get a nasty winter to make things even later...
Some good progress lately.

I've heard of rain coming down like stair rods but never driving sleet like rails. Hope it is a hard hat area!!!

tomneedham85

Must be nice to be able to say "I did that"!
It set me wondering how many other rail-over-motorway bridges there were on the NW electrification scheme.
The only one I think is over the M60 near Ashton.
All the others I can think of are motorway-over-rail (M55, M60 at Clifton, M61).
Phase 1 had rail bridges over the M60 and M62 near Patricroft.

As far as motorway bridges go there are 2 between Huyton and Bryn. 1 is the M57 at 0m 75ch and the other being the M6 just before Bryn. The M57 has had 16 stud bolts installed for the steel and the M6 has had 32 installed.

LDECRexile

Established Member
At St Helens Junction this morning, I noticed a couple of cherry pickers on a low loader in the station car park.

Good spot. Any idea if they were coming or going? A few weeks ago the worksite next to the car park was full of 'em, then over the course of ten days or so it was empty of 'em.
As far as motorway bridges go there are 2 between Huyton and Bryn. 1 is the M57 at 0m 75ch and the other being the M6 just before Bryn. The M57 has had 16 stud bolts installed for the steel and the M6 has had 32 installed.

I've seen the end product, but could you please tell us or refer us to somewhere where it shows us how 'stud bolts' differ from other bolts?

It's great to have someone on board who is at the sharp end - warm welcome.

budge

Hi All
Just some updated information (although this may be common knowledge to others on this forum) from Network Rail
My home backs on to the Manchester / Liverpool Railway and just received a letter stating that the section (Ref Bootle Branch Jn to Earlstown East Jn, DSE ,1m 78ch to 14m 75ch)
Liverpool - Newton-le - Willows(Chat Moss route) will be energised as of 31st December 2014

25Kv 50hz

FYI

Regards...

DJH1971

Established Member
Hi All
Just some updated information (although this may be common knowledge to others on this forum) from Network Rail
My home backs on to the Manchester / Liverpool Railway and just received a letter stating that the section (Ref Bootle Branch Jn to Earlstown East Jn, DSE ,1m 78ch to 14m 75ch)
Liverpool - Newton-le - Willows(Chat Moss route) will be energised as of 31st December 2014

25Kv 50hz

FYI

Regards...

They will need to put up the rest of the steelwork before then!

And, there is also the issue of Sankey Viaduct.

budge

Curious about how they commission a new electrification.
Do they run special trains up and down as well as measuring power drops, leakage, surges...how's it done?

snowball

Established Member
28th December was being claimed a couple of weeks ago (see #3072) so it seems to be converging. Clearly they'd love to get it done in December 2014, that makes it seem almost as if the target had been achieved.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
They will need to put up the rest of the steelwork before then!
And, there is also the issue of Sankey Viaduct.

I could see the western section Edge Hill-Roby Jn going live by then, as there isn't much left to do at Wavertree.
It will all depend on where the neutral sections are I suppose.
My guess is the only neutral section on Phase 2 is at Huyton Quarry (ie all the wiring needs to be complete at least that far before switch-on).
Sounds like the Wigan branch will go live later.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Hi All

25Kv 50hz

FYI

Regards...

Very informative, thank you.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Hi All

25Kv 50hz FYI Regards...

Even if they were slightly late it makes sense to warn people about energisation well before. Exciting news though even if slightly late.

driver_m

Established Member
Should be in the Weekly ops notices soon for us. First definite sign it is actually going to happen though is when we get the jobs to do a test run with a couple of 390s to try and blow the OLE. Had a trip out over it a week ago and its like the eastern section when it had about two weeks to go. The Xmas block should finish it off barring any disasters.

PS You've done a hell of a job on here LDECRexile with the pics and info, are you carrying on with the other sections after the phase 2 gets done?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Curious about how they commission a new electrification.
Do they run special trains up and down as well as measuring power drops, leakage, surges...how's it done?

They run a highly sensitive pantograph along measuring output (or will if its been repaired yet) they also stress test it with some power hungry trains.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Should be in the Weekly ops notices soon for us. First definite sign it is actually going to happen though is when we get the jobs to do a test run with a couple of 390s to try and blow the OLE. Had a trip out over it a week ago and its like the eastern section when it had about two weeks to go. The Xmas block should finish it off barring any disasters.

PS You've done a hell of a job on here LDECRexile with the pics and info, are you carrying on with the other sections after the phase 2 gets done?

Your confidence is very encouraging. Mine was beginning to flag until I went to Earlestown yesterday and saw just what could be done in double quick time. I'm no false optimist and Roby-Huyton Junction seems to have a lot of holes, especially on the mega formed bases, but if that is just a matter of giving them time to cure they should all become mastable pretty close together. I'm not sure if masts can go up on Sankey Viaduct before all stonework is replaced. If they can, then I'm much more optimistic there, too, now that all bases are in place.

As you say, disasters might happen, it's only days since the Bryn accident.

I wonder if you are ever in a position to take and share any pictures of what you see? Your ringside seat is something we mortals can never access. (I'm not suggesting you snap whilst driving, of course!!)

Your closing paragraph is very kind and very heartening. I have been thinking of what to do after this party's over. It has been something the likes of which I've never done before. I originally set out imagining I might take 20 or 30 pictures tops; well, it's grown like Topsy.

I don't know the next areas apart from trips from Southport to Manchester via Bolton, so venturing forth would be both daunting and exciting. What I would hope is to find a small group of kindred spirits who can pool resources and chuck them into the communal pot. The forum is a means of pooling, but it is necessarily random, so there are holes and, I suspect, wasted resources, notably people who have taken photos but who are shy of sharing or don't have the motive, means or opportunity to do so.

Thank you for taking the trouble to put pen to paper (so to speak!)

driver_m

Established Member
Your confidence is very encouraging. Mine was beginning to flag until I went to Earlestown yesterday and saw just what could be done in double quick time. I'm no false optimist and Roby-Huyton Junction seems to have a lot of holes, especially on the mega formed bases, but if that is just a matter of giving them time to cure they should all become mastable pretty close together. I'm not sure if masts can go up on Sankey Viaduct before all stonework is replaced. If they can, then I'm much more optimistic there, too, now that all bases are in place.

As you say, disasters might happen, it's only days since the Bryn accident.

I wonder if you are ever in a position to take and share any pictures of what you see? Your ringside seat is something we mortals can never access. (I'm not suggesting you snap whilst driving, of course!!)

Your closing paragraph is very kind and very heartening. I have been thinking of what to do after this party's over. It has been something the likes of which I've never done before. I originally set out imagining I might take 20 or 30 pictures tops; well, it's grown like Topsy.

I don't know the next areas apart from trips from Southport to Manchester via Bolton, so venturing forth would be both daunting and exciting. What I would hope is to find a small group of kindred spirits who can pool resources and chuck them into the communal pot. The forum is a means of pooling, but it is necessarily random, so there are holes and, I suspect, wasted resources, notably people who have taken photos but who are shy of sharing or don't have the motive, means or opportunity to do so.

Thank you for taking the trouble to put pen to paper (so to speak!)

It'd be good to take photos but electronic equipment is banned out of the cabs now. Obviously its the mobile phones that's the main thing to be banned but anything like that is a potential distraction so I couldn't sorry. Too risky in this day and age. Pass jobs are rare too so its hard to even get back cab photos especially as there is so little work over the chat moss itself for us at VT. As for the line itself it just looks like it needs a good bit of unbroken access to get it done. ie getting into Victoria, tidying the junctions up, that sort of thing. Even if it goes a week or two over it looks substantially done now.

Status
Not open for further replies.