• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJH1971

Established Member
Went to pay a visit to Sankey valley Viaduct today.

Still no sign of the fourth portal I'm afraid. :(

BTW: whilst i'm at it, I made a mistake of originally posted in the Blackpool - Manchester electrification thread by mistake when I thought I was in this one!

:oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Billyblue

Helpful, thank you.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Splendid
I am delighted that Peter Conroy has sent some more older photos. I have added them, with interim notes, to Peter's album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157649772527390/

Some of them are not related to the NW electrification so I have not added them to the combined album. They are all of local interest.

I have also had a first stab at doing a 'Now' photo to match Peter's wonderful 1964 shot of Huyton Quarry. I haven't got the angle quite right but there's enough there to tickle the imagination. I've wanged it into both Peter's Pictures and the combined album, which is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Thank you Peter.

Thanks for posting your 'now' to Peter's 'then' photos of Huyton Quarry.(2822n and 0246m) If you could photoshop out the new houses it would reveal the Victorian houses which are still exactly the same as in Peter's photo.
This was, of course, the site of Huyton Quarry Station. The stationmaster's house is the one on the far left. The station was closed in the 1950s, just before two housing estates were built!!
I know it's different funding but I think a trick has been missed in not reinstating this station. There's also plenty of space for a car park.

Wavertreelad

Very strange situation at Bootle Branch Junction where this old gantry dating from the 1960's electrification still spans today the new OHLE.

Attachments

• Bootle Branch Junc 18 Jan 2015 - showing old gantry still in place.jpg
    Bootle Branch Junc 18 Jan 2015 - showing old gantry still in place.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 134

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Very strange situation at Bootle Branch Junction where this old gantry dating from the 1960's electrification still spans today the new OHLE.

Most of the ones in the overlap between old and new wiring have been replaced, but this one is the other way round!
There are still old dewired masts which have not been felled in the same stretch.

LDECRexile

Established Member

It's a bit hard to be sure, but this old portal still appears to be doing some work. If you look near the top right hand corner it appears to be supporting a fattish grey wire on a temporary fixing.

This was the case in Photo 1742h Wavertree on 20th Nov and doesn't seem to have changed yet.

I guess that when they get the wire fixed permanently to something they'll be able to demolish this old Timer.

Wavertreelad

It's a bit hard to be sure, but this old portal still appears to be doing some work. If you look near the top right hand corner it appears to be supporting a fattish grey wire on a temporary fixing.

This was the case in Photo 1742h Wavertree on 20th Nov and doesn't seem to have changed yet.

I guess that when they get the wire fixed permanently to something they'll be able to demolish this old Timer.

The wire certainly seems attached the old post in this magnified shot on the nearest side, but it also seems to be anchored to the new structure. On the far side it looks like the wire is looped on the new structure to the right of the old structure in anticipation of the old structure being demolished enabling the wire to be attached to the same structure as the nearest wire is attached.

Attachments

• Bootle Branch Junc 18 Jan 2015 - showing old gantry in place magnified.JPG
    Bootle Branch Junc 18 Jan 2015 - showing old gantry in place magnified.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
No doubt it will be like this until the old structure is removed?

It should be a straightforward task to permanently attach it to the new structure whilst the old one is in place?

DJH1971

Established Member
Going through Huyton and Roby this morning, I noticed that there was more steelwork left at the trackside waiting to be put up.

No wires yet though.

steverailer

The wire certainly seems attached the old post in this magnified shot on the nearest side, but it also seems to be anchored to the new structure. On the far side it looks like the wire is looped on the new structure to the right of the old structure in anticipation of the old structure being demolished enabling the wire to be attached to the same structure as the nearest wire is attached.

On the old structure the wire is in a temporary roller that is holding it away from the leg to stop damage (look at the angle of the purple sling), I would guess that that is just to keep the wire on the route it will take when the old structure is removed, meaning the wire can be tightened to the correct tension.

The loops on the new wire are left for 1 of 2 reasons, 1 for connection to the next run when it is installed, or 2 to allow ample for connection to any ground feeds or switches that may be installed later

8A Rail

Established Member
Thanks for posting your 'now' to Peter's 'then' photos of Huyton Quarry.(2822n and 0246m) If you could photoshop out the new houses it would reveal the Victorian houses which are still exactly the same as in Peter's photo.
This was, of course, the site of Huyton Quarry Station. The stationmaster's house is the one on the far left. The station was closed in the 1950s, just before two housing estates were built!!
I know it's different funding but I think a trick has been missed in not reinstating this station. There's also plenty of space for a car park.

Station was closed in 1958. I must admit, I am surprised that no consideration was given for re-instatement of the station was ever considered. As for space for car park, not really as the Electrification "Sub Station" has now been built on the land including access roads.

Billyblue

Station was closed in 1958. I must admit, I am surprised that no consideration was given for re-instatement of the station was ever considered. As for space for car park, not really as the Electrification "Sub Station" has now been built on the land including access roads.

Re car park space. I haven't really looked, that closely, at the site since the substations were built so you're probably right and, of course, if a new station was ever built that would take up space, too.
To encourage people off the road and onto trains perhaps some of the spare land, on the Wilson Road industrial estate, could be utilised for a 'park and ride' system into Huyton Station.

LDECRexile

Established Member
On the old structure the wire is in a temporary roller that is holding it away from the leg to stop damage (look at the angle of the purple sling), I would guess that that is just to keep the wire on the route it will take when the old structure is removed, meaning the wire can be tightened to the correct tension.

The loops on the new wire are left for 1 of 2 reasons, 1 for connection to the next run when it is installed, or 2 to allow ample for connection to any ground feeds or switches that may be installed later

...and the wire is still on the temporary roller this morning, I looked as I passed.

Thank you for this helpful explanation.
Going through Huyton and Roby this morning, I noticed that there was more steelwork left at the trackside waiting to be put up.

No wires yet though.

Good spot, thanks for telling us. I for one really appreciate this sort of contribution from you.

DavidL

Just a quick note to everyone involved to say thanks for your hard work involved in photographing and cataloguing the work on the lines. I live not far from the Liverpool-Wigan line and travel on it every day, but unfortunately due to working patterns, most usually in hours of darkness. Certainly, too dark to study from within a lit train!
This collection is a brilliant way to catch up on what's gone on outside the train's window, in the darkness :)

In one of the few bits I get to see in enough detail to study;
I do hope they get round to replacing the long-term-but-clearly-temporary dropper at Garswood station before unleashing a test train on it!

Many thanks to all involved!
David

LDECRexile

Established Member
I did a Lime St-Wigan NW-St Helens Central-Roby-Earlestown-Lime St railtour today.

Headline changes:

1. Wires up above both tracks St Helens Station signalbox northwards to Haresfinch.
2. Confirm Wires up above both tracks Pilkingtons Siding north almost to Parr St Bridge, St Helens
3. Wires at Earlestown look much more 'finished'
4. Work has started reinstating the stonework atop Sankey Viaduct

Headline Non-changes

a) Still only 3 portals on Sankey Viaduct
b) Pair of goalposts at Roby Jct still without crossbar
c) Mast at E end of Huyton Stn still without partner or crossbar
d) Lone mastless base S of tracks at Huyton Jct
e) Pair of bases by Burges pond near Haresfinch still mastless
f) Rainhill 3 of 4 headspans still attached to wires by temp fixings

General

i) Lots of Orangemen all over the place
ii) Trains chaotic this morning "due to earlier signalling problems"
iii) Indirect evidence of work, eg wiring runs near Wavertree TP
iv) lots of danglies lying at the feet of masts ready to be attached
v) Wigan Branch wires start immediately N of Longview Drive

Photos and Progressometer spreadsheet later

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is it possible that the apparent delay in fitting the fourth portal at the Sankey viaduct is just down to crane availability? Is it a job that requires a crane outside the normal run of the mill sizes perhaps?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
1. Wires up above both tracks St Helens Station signalbox northwards to Haresfinch.
2. Confirm Wires up above both tracks Pilkingtons Siding north almost to Parr St Bridge, St Helens
3. Wires at Earlestown look much more 'finished'
4. Work has started reinstating the stonework atop Sankey Viaduct

Great stuff.
South of St Helens Central, I think there is some missing steelwork on the base which sits hidden in the gap between the spans of Parr St bridge (north side).
It's hard to see, but it might be preventing wiring through the station at the moment.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Is it possible that the apparent delay in fitting the fourth portal at the Sankey viaduct is just down to crane availability? Is it a job that requires a crane outside the normal run of the mill sizes perhaps?

Certainly possible, other explanations suggested to me include gales and ice. I'm afraid I have no idea. I hope Tom's finished report will tell us when it's done and dusted.
Great stuff.
South of St Helens Central, I think there is some missing steelwork on the base which sits hidden in the gap between the spans of Parr St bridge (north side).
It's hard to see, but it might be preventing wiring through the station at the moment.

Yes, they're lying there in readiness. There are quite a lot of danglies missing on the masts within the station, too. Three more Sunday possessions and normal overnight work should see them sorted.

As you said recently, Roby Jct to Huyton Jct remains the critical section.

I see that today's RAIL (Rail 766 p15) is predicting a February 14th 'go-live' date for Lime St-Manchester and the Wigan Branch. It says that 'a well placed industry source suggested to RAIL that there was a "high level of confidence" .... would only make it "by the skin of their eyeballs." '

'Go-live' is not defined, notably does it mean just that or does it imply 'first public train running'?

Apparently a public announcement is imminent.

In the same issue (RAIL 766 p7) there is an article about Class 319s arriving faster than expected.

Class 170101

Established Member
In the same issue (RAIL 766 p7) there is an article about Class 319s arriving faster than expected.

Is that to do with the announcement regarding the 170s heading to Chiltern and their replacements throughout the TPE and Northern network being discussed elsewhere.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I see that today's RAIL (Rail 766 p15) is predicting a February 14th 'go-live' date for Lime St-Manchester and the Wigan Branch. It says that 'a well placed industry source suggested to RAIL that there was a "high level of confidence" .... would only make it "by the skin of their eyeballs." '
'Go-live' is not defined, notably does it mean just that or does it imply 'first public train running'?
Apparently a public announcement is imminent.

I seem to remember there was about 3 weeks between "go live" on Phase 1 and the start of public service.
In that time they ran various tests under possession, culminating in a pair of Virgin Pendolinos passing each other under load.
This would be the biggest practical load the system would face.

I've just found some Virgin diverted passenger services on realtimetrains for Sunday 22 February (Runcorn route closed).
These are Rugby-Liverpool services diverted via Warrington and Earlestown.
Plus a late night Preston-Liverpool ECS reversing at Warrington.
Example: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P51118/2015/02/22/advanced
This may or may not happen, but somebody must think the wires are going to be working then!
Some of the workings are Voyagers (the WCML is closed at Watford that weekend).

From NRE for Sun Feb 22:
Virgin Trains services between Milton Keynes Central / Rugby and Liverpool Lime Street will be diverted to / from Crewe via Warrington Bank Quay, Earlestown and Huyton, not calling at Runcorn. Replacement buses will run between Crewe and Runcorn and Runcorn and Liverpool Lime Street

LDECRexile

Established Member
Is that to do with the announcement regarding the 170s heading to Chiltern and their replacements throughout the TPE and Northern network being discussed elsewhere.

Yes .
I seem to remember there was about 3 weeks between "go live" on Phase 1 and the start of public service.
In that time they ran various tests under possession, culminating in a pair of Virgin Pendolinos passing each other under load.
This would be the biggest practical load the system would face.

I've just found some Virgin diverted passenger services on realtimetrains for Sunday 22 February (Runcorn route closed).
These are Rugby-Liverpool services diverted via Warrington and Earlestown.
Plus a late night Preston-Liverpool ECS reversing at Warrington.
Example: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P51118/2015/02/22/advanced
This may or may not happen, but somebody must think the wires are going to be working then!
Some of the workings are Voyagers (the WCML is closed at Watford that weekend).

From NRE for Sun Feb 22:

Interestinger and interestinger.
I've added 29 new photos from today's jaunt here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Progressometer later
"Virgin Trains services between Milton Keynes Central / Rugby and Liverpool Lime Street will be diverted to / from Crewe via Warrington Bank Quay, Earlestown and Huyton, not calling at Runcorn. Replacement buses will run between Crewe and Runcorn and Runcorn and Liverpool Lime Street"

Diary, camera, action methinks.

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Cheers.

It's going to be interesting to see a Pendolino going through the Liverpool curve platform at Earlestown under power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.