• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

8A Rail

Established Member
Cheers.
It's going to be interesting to see a Pendolino going through the Liverpool curve platform at Earlestown under power.
Personally, I think all the diverted workings will be Voyagers regardless whether the electricity is on or off by then. Virgin have provided Voyagers before especially on a revised Sunday service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
I remember at the same stage a month before phase 1 was to go live people were saying there was months more work to do and it did miraculously become operational. Those last few jobs like doing a jigsaw it can all come together quickly at the end.

Class377/5

Established Member
Going live on the railway means the date the wires would be considered by staff to be live and therefore certain rules would apply. It doesn't mean the wires are actually live nor that services will run over them.

Keep in mind that the date given was from here (likely where Rail got it from, certainly copied posts off here before) from a rail employee who like got his notice through stating the wires would be live from this date once they are live, you still need to test which takes a few weeks.

Id be very surprised if early Feb we have passenger carrying 319s.

I remember at the same stage a month before phase 1 was to go live people were saying there was months more work to do and it did miraculously become operational. Those last few jobs like doing a jigsaw it can all come together quickly at the end.

Phase one took nearly a year to actually complete after trains ran. Don't assume just because trains can take power that its all completed.

Phase one switching was not not completed in time which mean the whole new wires were taken as one area rather than smaller sections as planned initially. This meant any issues and power got turned off to the whole thing rather than small sections.

Doesn't mean much to passengers but operationally it means it's hard to deal an incident. No such event took place. And for the record I'm not suggesting unsafe behaviour in any way. Just less flexible system that was designed.

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Progressometer updated below.

Please be reminded that "wires up" does not necessarily mean every i dotted and t crossed. It is a lay observer's best fair judgement.

Please see my Earlestown photos added today to see what I mean.

Dave

Attachments

• NWelectrificationDiagram.xlsx
    178.7 KB · Views: 57

snowball

Established Member
Phase one took nearly a year to actually complete after trains ran. Don't assume just because trains can take power that its all completed.

Phase one switching was not not completed in time which mean the whole new wires were taken as one area rather than smaller sections as planned initially. This meant any issues and power got turned off to the whole thing rather than small sections.

Wasn't Phase 1 supposed to include a new grid supply point? Has that been commissioned yet?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Wasn't Phase 1 supposed to include a new grid supply point? Has that been commissioned yet?

From what's visible on the ground, all the switchgear sites for Phase 1 (Ordsall Lane, Newton-le-Willows) and now Phase 2 (Huyton Quarry, Wavertree, Springs Branch) look finished.
The delayed Phase 1 kit was the autotransformer site as Astley, which was completed about 6 months after the wires went live.
But I've no idea if it is operational yet.

mcnw35282

Personally, I think all the diverted workings will be Voyagers regardless whether the electricity is on or off by then. Virgin have provided Voyagers before especially on a revised Sunday service.

Nice of the United Federation of Planets to loan one of their starships temporarily while the Runcorn branch is closed. Should be rapid being warp 9 capable!

(I'm sorry...I'll fetch my coat):)

Class 170101

Established Member

Phase 1 was meant to be powered in the interim by the existing kit feeding power from both ends at Golborne and Manchester. However I understand Parkside feeder station was being replaced as part of plans to feed later phases of the NW electrification.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I don't think they can be as the Voyagers are being gainfully employed on Sunday 22 February between Birmingham International and Euston via Chiltern Lines. The power needs to be on and working by this date I would suggest.
Class377/5 said:

Doesn't mean much to passengers but operationally it means it's hard to deal an incident. No such event took place. And for the record I'm not suggesting unsafe behaviour in any way. Just less flexible system that was designed.

I have seen this before myself. When Liverpool Street was re-wired back in 2007 it wasn't finished in time. The isolation section for thr west side was returned to use as two sections, one up line and one down line and only split into subsections until later.

driver_m

Established Member
The main reason for going via Warrington BQ is because its the most suitable changeover point. Liverpool drivers only sign upto Winwick Junction on the WC itself and Preston drivers don't sign the Liverpool side of the Chat Moss. No one signs St Helens Central at all.

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Will this change in the future?

E.g. What happens if Golborne Junction to Winwick Junction direct is closed so trains can't reverse at Warrington Bank Quay?

driver_m

Established Member
I'm sure the planners would come up with some convoluted solution to a rarity like that.

The ecs working especially will be a pendo. 221s don't go on edge hill.

I Can't see there being enough voyagers to go around if being used on Chilterns especially if they're going to be 15 car sets.

childwallblues

Established Member
The main reason for going via Warrington BQ is because its the most suitable changeover point. Liverpool drivers only sign upto Winwick Junction on the WC itself and Preston drivers don't sign the Liverpool side of the Chat Moss. No one signs St Helens Central at all.

I think that Virgin will already have plans in place to ensure that their staff can operate all of the newly electrified routes in the North West.

DJH1971

Established Member
The steelwork that I saw at the side of the tracks between Huyton to Roby a couple of days ago now appears to be up. Some registration arms by the tracks now.

More orange army folks out in force today in the area.

LDECRexile

Established Member
The steelwork that I saw at the side of the tracks between Huyton to Roby a couple of days ago now appears to be up. Some registration arms by the tracks now.

More orange army folks out in force today in the area.

Splendid, thank you.

If possible, can you please keep an particular eye on

1. the 'goals with out a crossbar' just east of Roby Junction (see Photo 2830m)
and
2. the lone mast at the east end of Huyton station? (see Photo 2838l)

Dave

driver_m

Established Member
I think that Virgin will already have plans in place to ensure that their staff can operate all of the newly electrified routes in the North West.

Well no one has told me. I drive for them.

Alsthom are the ones who will ultimately decide who goes where for the sets. If they have more flexibility to swap sets around without having to reverse at Crewe all the time, I'm sure they'll eventually come up with a plan with our lot to do ecs moves.

Last edited:

Billyblue

The stanchion at the east end of Huyton platform one is now up. Also the one on the north side plus crossbar.

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Have been out and about with Paul today.

1. We confirm Billyblue's report
2. The crossbar (plus a shedload of danglies) has been plonked on the goalposts at Roby Jct
3. 'Guyrope' attached to mast 3/4 of the way along the footpath S of tracks eastwards from Huyton station
4. Orangemen all over the place, Chat Moss trains' horns audible from St Helens

5. Don't know if the mastless base is still mastless S of tracks at Huyton Jct
6. 4th Portal yet to go up at Sankey Viaduct, but more danglies on the other three
7. Wires still suspended by temp fixings to 3 headspans at Rainhill
8. Carr Mill Viaduct's masts still undanglified
9. Don't know if Burges Pond mast up yet
10. Don't know if owt has happened N of Carr Mill, eg at Springs Branch Jct.

Photos later.

Last edited:

DJH1971

Established Member
Rail Replacement running from Lime Street all day Sunday now things seem to be moving quickly.

I know that there is no servics between Huyton to Wigan for the next 2/3 Sundays, so I take it that includes all services between Liverpool to Manchester too?

If so, that is very short notice!

iandavid59

I know that there is no servics between Huyton to Wigan for the next 2/3 Sundays, so I take it that includes all services between Liverpool to Manchester too?

Only know that I have been asked to work there on Sunday sorting out Rail Replacement transport will not get workings until tomorrow.

Billyblue

As I understand it the Huyton - Manchester services are as normal but I stand to be corrected.

mcnw35282

The 4th portal is up on Sankey Viaduct. It's a bit obscured by the trees so I had to drive past 3 times to check but it's finally up!

LDECRexile

Established Member
Paul and I toured yesterday 1. to see and record progress and 2. to do some Then and Now research. We reported the former, now for the latter.

Peter Conroy has supplied some wonderful photos he took in the 1960s. We pursued two in particular yesterday:

0250m Huyton Junction is a needle-sharp shot of a Mickey Mouse 2-6-0 ambling towards Huyton station. I offer Photo 2858l as a fair stab at 'Now'

I have now downloaded 0242m Elm Road Bridge which shows a gloriously rickety bridge on the Wigan Branch. Paul and I tracked it down, with help from passers-by (and their dogs) and show it as Photos 2866k and j.

All these are now in Peter's album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157649772527390/

I have also woven them into the combined album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Thank you Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.