• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geeves

Established Member
Yes signalman. Bi directional running from both Oxford Rd and Victoria as far as Eccles.

At Christmas the Oxford Rd panel from Piccadilly SCC goes to the Rail operating centre at Ashburys. Orsdsall Lane junction also receives a remodel to make the Chat Moss lines the main line and the Windsor link becomes the branch.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thealexweb

Yes signalman. Bi directional running from both Oxford Rd and Victoria as far as Eccles.

At Christmas the Oxford Rd panel from Piccadilly SCC goes to the Rail operating centre at Ashburys. Orsdsall Lane junction also receives a remodel to make the Chat Moss lines the main line and the Windsor link becomes the branch.

This change seems odd when the Windsor Link is by far the busier of the two routes. From the December 2017 timetable change, roughly 12tph will head out towards Salford Crescent compared to around 5tph out to Eccles.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
This change seems odd when the Windsor Link is by far the busier of the two routes. From the December 2017 timetable change, roughly 12tph will head out towards Salford Crescent compared to around 5tph out to Eccles.

Not sure about the 12tph, more like 5tph I think.
The Castlefield corridor has to support something like 4tph over the Ordsall Chord, and they won't be running towards Salford Crescent.
From what I understand the line speeds in each direction at Ordsall Lane will be the same.

Geeves

Established Member
The Windsor link is not as busy as it used to be where as the Chatmoss lines have become much busier. There are only 3 trains an hour normally in each direction on the Windsor link currently and that may well decrease when the Southport Airports get diverted into Victoria.

Established Member

?

As I remember the planned service patterns(2019 because I'm not entirely sure when each change happens)

Windsor Link 4 tph

1tph Scotland
1tph Blackpool
2tph required Salford Crescent-Stockport

Chat Moss. 6/7 tph

2 tph TPE
2 tph Northern Liverpool
2tph Chester
1 tph Cumbria ?

thealexweb

I got muddled with bit of track we were discussing, I totted up all Salford Crescent traffic for the comparison, my bad.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
A new mast base has gone in at Ordsall Lane, on the Down Chat Moss.
A bit further along is a new mast with autotensioner attached.
So there must be wiring changes on the way.

Lime Street's new ticket barriers were powered up today, but wide open.
The inspection gang further on was particularly thorough.

Last edited:

driver_m

Established Member
A new mast base has gone in at Ordsall Lane, on the Down Chat Moss.
A bit further along is a new mast with autotensioner attached.
So there must be wiring changes on the way.

Lime Street's new ticket barriers were powered up today, but wide open.
The inspection gang further on was particularly thorough.

There's a set of points going in round there for the new bi di running.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Wonder when a repaint will be applied?

Probably not for a while, might get the Thameslink vinyl branding removed, dark blue vinyls over the light blue doors and dark blue vinyls over the cab ends, plus some new 'Northern' vinyl branding and maybe new seat covers and sticky posters inside... Assuming they are intended for service anytime soon.....

LDECRexile

Established Member
Probably not for a while, might get the Thameslink vinyl branding removed, dark blue vinyls over the light blue doors and dark blue vinyls over the cab ends, plus some new 'Northern' vinyl branding and maybe new seat covers and sticky posters inside... Assuming they are intended for service anytime soon.....

I've added a photo of one of them to the Combined Volume, here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/30060714346/in/album-72157648494725811/

1179_Clee2

As has been asked in the Northern unit refub thread, what mods if any have been done at Wolverton prior to being sent North?
If they have not had the guards mods done, it cannot be used as only the driver can open the doors.
Does anybody work at Allerton or have access? so they can state what work has been done?

childwallblues

Established Member
As has been asked in the Northern unit refub thread, what mods if any have been done at Wolverton prior to being sent North?
If they have not had the guards mods done, it cannot be used as only the driver can open the doors.
Does anybody work at Allerton or have access? so they can state what work has been done?

I was informed by a Northern driver that the only mods to to these units has been removal if the shoegear.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Work is progressing on the 4th line at Huyton with the closure of part of the bus station.

DJH1971

Established Member
I was informed by a Northern driver that the only mods to to these units has been removal if the shoegear.
Work is progressing on the 4th line at Huyton with the closure of part of the bus station.

Any more on the Thameslink-livery 319 going into service?

urbophile

Established Member

Does this mean an end to the funeral-directors' colour scheme of pukey purple and lilac?

childwallblues

Established Member
Any more on the Thameslink-livery 319 going into service?

They cannot be used in service at present as the door conrols are still in the cabs.
Rumour mill has it that 319219 is being used as a Christmas tree at present and is inside the shed. It will be put back together later. 319218 is outside at the west end.

PDG1949

I thought the original idea was to have the electrics/mechanicals done at Wolverton and the cosmetics at Allerton?

Billyblue

Work is gradually getting underway.

1) Within the closed off section of the bus station.

2) Work has started in the telephone exchange car park (the front one adjacent to the subway). Photo from the railway path.

3) Posters in the bus station suggests that section of the work will be completed by February.

Attachments

• IMG_20161007_095208.jpg
    IMG_20161007_095208.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20161007_095653-1.jpg
    IMG_20161007_095653-1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20161007_094023.jpg
    IMG_20161007_094023.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 129

LDECRexile

Established Member
Spurred on by Billyblue and others I visited Huyton today for the first time for ages.

Spades have hit soil.

I've put one photo in a small new album dedicated to shots from one position over time; I've done this in haste and may find others in future (and people may send some, even better): here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157673825205932

I've put all today's shots in the Combined Volume, here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157648494725811
While doing something completely unrelated to this thread I stumbled across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyiRWuV92qY

See here if anyone moans that nowt's been done!

Last edited:

Wavertreelad

I've heard reports that work has started on raising the parapet walls of the Rathbone Road bridge adjacent to Wavertree Technology Park station. Unfortunately, due to work commitments I can't get there in daylight this week, but understand wire fencing has been erected whilst the top part of walls is removed.

PDG1949

I've heard reports that work has started on raising the parapet walls of the Rathbone Road bridge adjacent to Wavertree Technology Park station. Unfortunately, due to work commitments I can't get there in daylight this week, but understand wire fencing has been erected whilst the top part of walls is removed.

This latest Bridge Parapet elevation directive seems to be common on the recent Liverpool - Wigan and Liverpool - Manchester electrified routes. There have been a number of overline bridges in the St Helens/Garswood area attended to and I suspect any similar bridges on the schemes.

PDG1949

According to a report in this week's St Helens STAR newspaper, St Helens Junction station building has now been given Grade 2 Listed Building Status which now places it in the same position as Rainhill, Edge Hill, Earlestown and Newton-le-Willows stations.

Historic England website notification of listed status

https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1437498

See newspaper cutting below or here's the online version

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...ction_Station_has_been_awarded_listed_status/

Attachments

• SHJ Listed Status Article.jpg
    SHJ Listed Status Article.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

8A Rail

Established Member
According to a report in this week's St Helens STAR newspaper, St Helens Junction station building has now been given Grade 2 Listed Building Status which now places it in the same position as Rainhill, Edge Hill, Earlestown and Newton-le-Willows stations.
Historic England website notification of listed status
https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1437498
See newspaper cutting below or here's the online version
http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...ction_Station_has_been_awarded_listed_status/

Has it! Someone need to tell Network Rail, Arriva and Merseytravel that before the building falls down!! :lol::lol: Seriously, the main building externally needs to serious TLC - hopefully it gets it sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, not sure been reported on here, if so my apologies as not been to Rainhill Station for a while but main Station Footbridge has now clear plastic panels on top of the existing metal supports / fixings. I wil assume the same type of panels wil be placed on the other footbridge, replacing the black metal ones there put in place some months ago. Currently the latter footbridge is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.