• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

fflint

Thanks are due again to LDECRexile for his work collating the Northern Electrification Projects and his band of contributors as well. I wish some of the other Electrification projects were reported on as well as this one has been.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LDECRexile

Established Member
Thanks are due again to LDECRexile for his work collating the Northern Electrification Projects and his band of contributors as well. I wish some of the other Electrification projects were reported on as well as this one has been.

Thank you very much.

Family business gave Paul and me the chance to spend a couple of hours in the Huyton area yesterday, catching up on this and that and exploring Robins Lane Halt, which is off piste, but hey....

I've added Paul's shots to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157649792560381

and both of our material to th eCombined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157648494725811

We visited by car which enabled us to learn the hard way that parking just about everywhere around Huyton station is for Permit Holders only. Beware!

8A Rail

Established Member
Thank you very much.
Family business gave Paul and me the chance to spend a couple of hours in the Huyton area yesterday, catching up on this and that and exploring Robins Lane Halt, which is off piste, but hey....

We visited by car which enabled us to learn the hard way that parking just about everywhere around Huyton station is for Permit Holders only. Beware!

And understandable too. There are public car parks near by (150 yds away for small payment) if you wish to use your car. However, there are places were to park nearby without payment or permit if you are prepared to walk 100/200 yds or so to / from the station.

LDECRexile

Established Member
And understandable too. There are public car parks near by (150 yds away for small payment) if you wish to use your car. However, there are places were to park nearby without payment or permit if you are prepared to walk 100/200 yds or so to / from the station.

I'm pleased to hear it. My warning is directed at people who make the mistake we made of not spotting the warnings on the perimeter of the Permits Only area, who then, once inside, carefully follow yellow lines, H-lines, common sense and consideration and park; then come back to find a sticker on the windscreen.

For the record, I welcome Permit Only areas; I repeat my warning: Huyton is one.

8A Rail

Established Member
I'm pleased to hear it. My warning is directed at people who make the mistake we made of not spotting the warnings on the perimeter of the Permits Only area, who then, once inside, carefully follow yellow lines, H-lines, common sense and consideration and park; then come back to find a sticker on the windscreen.

For the record, I welcome Permit Only areas; I repeat my warning: Huyton is one.

You mean Huyton "Station" area unless you find a space in the small station car park which unlikely during the day. Also for reference, roads leading to Roby Station and also Broadgreen Station (unless you use station car park) are residents only (permit) parking too.

LDECRexile

Established Member
You mean Huyton "Station" area unless you find a space in the small station car park which unlikely during the day. Also for reference, roads leading to Roby Station and also Broadgreen Station (unless you use station car park) are residents only (permit) parking too.

Thanks for the warnings.

childwallblues

Established Member

That depends on how far you are prepared to walk.

8A Rail

Established Member
That depends on how far you are prepared to walk.
As long as I know where to park my car in the first instance without issue, then not a problem. Your legs are made for walking and getting to some photographic locations, you have no choice. :)

childwallblues

Established Member
As long as I know where to park my car in the first instance without issue, then not a problem. Your legs are made for walking and getting to some photographic locations, you have no choice. :)

At Huyton you can normally find a space around the Blacklow Brow area but I have a better idea - use public transport.

PDG1949

At Huyton you can normally find a space around the Blacklow Brow area but I have a better idea - use public transport.

It appears that not all local authorities adopt the zoning approach - St Helens MBC employ individual ‘residents’ permit’ plates along roads either on dedicated poles or convenient items of street furniture such as luminaires.

8A Rail

Established Member
Nope! :) After my 10 week experience without a car and trying to get to work using public transport taking 90 mins (i.e. two trains and a BUS) I stick to my car (takes me 15 mins) even for all the road traffic problems! I sympathise with people having no choice but to use buses - but they are unreliable in my experience! Bus Drivers who think the roads are rally cross tracks, apparently there are printed timetables but as far as I am concerned they make the times up as they go along! NO problems with the trains, they more or less operated to times and I knew where I was with them. Yes use trains but buses - not a fat chance and I have a Merseytravel pass were it wont cost me anything!

Also, as I photograph trains at various locations, (e.g. Sankey Viaduct, Halewood, Rainford, the list is endless) but neither train or bus will get me to them unfortunately (let alone the time involved).

If you are interested, you cannot park in Blacklow Brow area, most of it IS resident permit only and nearest place to park would be the shops at Archway Road Roundabout for limited time or the car parks in Huyton Village, along with a couple of little known locations that I'm familiar with.

Last edited:

budge

Additional bridge work at Lea Green these last few days.

picture.php

Last edited:

driver_m

Established Member
Work on Lime St starts on the weekend with some changes to Platforms.

Platform 9 extended to 270m
Platform 8 shrunk to 230m
Platform 6 will be shrunk as well to 180m

For VT this effectively means the extra services will use 9 rather than 8 and 6 will effectively no longer be usable barring one off 221 visits.

boby32

Work on Lime St starts on the weekend with some changes to Platforms.

Platform 9 extended to 270m
Platform 8 shrunk to 230m
Platform 6 will be shrunk as well to 180m

For VT this effectively means the extra services will use 9 rather than 8 and 6 will effectively no longer be usable barring one off 221 visits.

Does that mean platform 6 will no longer be able to have 2 trains on this platform?

LDECRexile

Established Member

8A Rail

Established Member
Went into Liverpool City Centre by train and noted the following.
1) Whiston Station: Most of the trees within the station boundary have been cut down to the bases.
2) Huyton Junction (4th track): Quite a few concrete walls now in place to secure trackbed etc in and around the bus station. Also partial concrete wall completed by the telephone exchange. At least now you can established the "new" boundary between the railway and the other land.
3) Liverpool Lime Street Station: (A) Fencing completely around the old Royal Mail building (Plat 7/8) in readiness I suspect for demolition. Fencing goes upto the signals at the top of those platforms. (B) New boundary for Platform 6 has now been installed (i.e. Pointed concrete platform slabs and new lockable gate and fence) which is roughly were the station canopy begins. Top end of Platform 6 edging slabs etc have now been taken up. (C) Although been reported before, Automatic gates now in full operation for exit and entry to Platforms 1-6.
4) Edge Hill Station: Looks if they have tidy up the Platforms 2 and 3 towards Lime St Station Cutting as even allowing for being winter, the platforms are now fully devoid of weeds etc.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Went into Liverpool City Centre by train and noted the following.

4) Edge Hill Station: Looks if they have tidy up the Platforms 2 and 3 towards Lime St Station Cutting as even allowing for being winter, the platforms are now fully devoid of weeds etc.

I got the impression on Monday that the old works base for Chat Moss electrification, next to Edge Hill station, was being readied for more work.
Maybe the resignalling project is going there.

Also Merseyrail are now announcing the loop closures from 3 Jan on trains, and were giving out flapjacks and pens with the timetable leaflets when I got back to Hooton!

8A Rail

Established Member
I got the impression on Monday that the old works base for Chat Moss electrification, next to Edge Hill station, was being readied for more work.
Maybe the resignalling project is going there.

Also Merseyrail are now announcing the loop closures from 3 Jan on trains, and were giving out flapjacks and pens with the timetable leaflets when I got back to Hooton!

Oh yes I forgot to mention the "renewed work base" at Edge Hill which goes along from Waterloo Tunnel to Picton Road Bridge (Tuebrook Sidings).

The main base for the Lime St - Weaver Junction resignalling is actually at Speke Junction (on the old sidings next to the up and down goods line) and currently being readied for formal occupation by Buckingham's although some on site work has been done by Balfour Beatty. I think it is "Siemens" that is the provider of the new signalling etc (not 100% sure though). If interested I work in the nearby retail park and the back of my store overlooks the whole area.

Last edited:

QueensCurve

Established Member
The main base for the Lime St - Weaver Junction resignalling is actually at Speke Junction (on the old sidings next to the up and down goods line) and currently being readied for formal occupation by Buckingham's although some on site work has been done by Balfour Beatty. I think it is "Siemens" that is the provider of the new signalling etc (not 100% sure though). If interested I work in the nearby retail park and the back of my store overlooks the whole area.

Does anyone have the spec for the Lime St to Weaver resignalling?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
At Huyton, about 2/3 of the retaining wall for the 4th track has been built, leaving just the western end to finish.
There is at least one new mast base in place in the new section.

fflint

Thanks again LDECRexile et al for posting the photos. Those parapet extensions look really neat and are far better than the temporary ones.

8A Rail

Established Member
Thanks again LDECRexile et al for posting the photos. Those parapet extensions look really neat and are far better than the temporary ones.
The ones at Rainhill are much better, they are see through. Yes I accept it has something to do with the heritage aspect of the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.