• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2021 Timetable Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It is being replaced by stay local but only for 2 weeks I think
It is being replaced by 'stay within the common travel area (CTA)'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I agree we should. When hospitality reopens in May we need at the very least a May 2020 level service also

It will be higher than that. The service running now is higher than it was in May 2020, in fact it’s not far off the service level that ran last July/August.

Glenn1969

Established Member
That just means don't go abroad. I know people from England can't go to Scotland or Wales but have no idea what counts as "local" in England

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
That just means don't go abroad. I know people from England can't go to Scotland or Wales but have no idea what counts as "local" in England
'local' is whatever you want it to be - provided that you do not stay away overnight! Unfortunately it is also whatever the police (individually and as force policy) want it to be, which has been determined by some to be 'their force area', even if you live on the boundary.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That won't be the case from April 12th, and certainly not when the May timetable starts. If it's okay to mill aimlessly around in shops, or sit outside a pub, then it's okay to sit in a train. That's certainly what I'll be doing from that date.

But will there be enough people joining you to make it worth while for the TOC to run extra services, or are resources better deployed elsewhere....?

berneyarms

Established Member
It is being replaced by 'stay within the CTA'.
Bear in mind that anyone wishing to travel from GB to Ireland is required to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival in Ireland and have received a negative PCR test 72 hours before arriving into Ireland.
So perhaps I would rephrase it to within the UK?

Bikeman78

Established Member
But will there be enough people joining you to make it worth while for the TOC to run extra services, or are resources better deployed elsewhere....?

That depends where I go. I'd expect local trains around London to pick up fairly rapidly. Equally I expect a lot of the half hourly trains to Cambridge to move fresh air around north of Harlow, if last summer is anything to go by. I'm sure a few people on this forum will be out and about to report back in the coming weeks.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Bear in mind that anyone wishing to travel from GB to Ireland is required to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival in Ireland and have received a negative PCR test 72 hours before arriving into Ireland.
So perhaps I would rephrase it to within the UK?

But provided you meet/obey those requirements travel within the CTA is legal, travelling outside it isn’t.

northernchris

Established Member
Well Northern have confirmed by email that they won't be removing their temporary timetables until the May timetable change. Even then this is only where this is possible in line with restrictions easing and government guidelines.

Leaving aside the fact that restrictions are easing from 29th March, I dread to think what when this is possible will mean, particularly after last year.

What with the strikes, last year's covid timetables which lasted well beyond lockdown and now, is this oprganisation actually there to run trains ?

That doesn't give much confidence they will return to a useable service in May either. It is somewhat ironic that the government has announced retailers will be able to stay open later in part to help spread the loads on public transport, whilst a government run operator will be running very little to accommodate late night shoppers and the staff who will be working later.

There will be some routes which will have a much reduced service (Leeds - Halifax goes from 4tph to 3tp2h off peak and Barnsley loses its 2 semi-fasts to Sheffield and Leeds, so I hope Northern have robust plans to ensure adequate capacity is provided during the core hours to cater for demand once retail and hospitality is permitted to reopen

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That doesn't give much confidence they will return to a useable service in May either. It is somewhat ironic that the government has announced retailers will be able to stay open later in part to help spread the loads on public transport, whilst a government run operator will be running very little to accommodate late night shoppers and the staff who will be working later.

There will be some routes which will have a much reduced service (Leeds - Halifax goes from 4tph to 3tp2h off peak and Barnsley loses its 2 semi-fasts to Sheffield and Leeds, so I hope Northern have robust plans to ensure adequate capacity is provided during the core hours to cater for demand once retail and hospitality is permitted to reopen
Indeed.

I suppose with the Hallam, there's at least the option of lengthening the stopper.

387star

On Moderation
A super early GWR 0450 Fratton to Gloucester runs from the May timetable even calling Portchester.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Having the train service not ending four hours early should limit some of the issues

If it's anything like Newcastle last summer, people will start drinking earlier in order to catch the last trains back home.
Some of the trains on the hourly Carlisle - Newcastle services were quite busy, even in non Covid times

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If it's anything like Newcastle last summer, people will start drinking earlier in order to catch the last trains back home.
Some of the trains on the hourly Carlisle - Newcastle services were quite busy, even in non Covid times

I've only travelled that line a few times, and it does seem to be a faitly important artery for local people. Even last year between lockdowns it was one of the busier ones.

I think it's fair to say that ruining the timetable isn't an effective or appropriate way to deal with anti-social behaviour.

LowLevel

Established Member
I've only travelled that line a few times, and it does seem to be a faitly important artery for local people. Even last year between lockdowns it was one of the busier ones.

I think it's fair to say that ruining the timetable isn't an effective or appropriate way to deal with anti-social behaviour.

BR used to do it regularly. There were various late night trains from Nottingham that got canned in the 90s because the cost of dealing with the misbehaviour of the passengers was more than the takings from running the service.

Whether it was effective or not who can say, the 2051 Nottingham to Boston on a Saturday has had an appalling reputation for years.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Whether it was effective or not who can say, the 2051 Nottingham to Boston on a Saturday has had an appalling reputation for years.

That stands as gold standard proof to me that the approach didn't work !

bunnahabhain

Established Member
If there's no train it can't be trashed. The later to Grantham from Nottingham were culled for that reason. What's the point running a train when the repairs to it cost more than the farebox revenue?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If there's no train it can't be trashed. The later to Grantham from Nottingham were culled for that reason. What's the point running a train when the repairs to it cost more than the farebox revenue?

As @LowLevel points out, you just end up moving the issue to an earlier train. Having a couple of travel safe officers turn up now and again would probably be more effective.

Anyhow, this is straying somewhat from the issue at hand.

387star

On Moderation
Mentioned in Post #150 and a few posts on some discussion
Thanks ...

Am I correct in thinking no pm GWR Saturday Brighton from may ? Looks like the morning Great Malvern which forms it doesn't run. Engineering work reasons I assume...
And on Sunday just one a day... The train which normally arrives at Brighton at around 1645 is diverted to Fratton? The previous 1449 arrival at Brighton takes its path departing Brighton 1746?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

Only 1 tph is withdrawn at Barnsley.

JRT

There will be some routes which will have a much reduced service (Leeds - Halifax goes from 4tph to 3tp2h off peak and Barnsley loses its 2 semi-fasts to Sheffield and Leeds, so I hope Northern have robust plans to ensure adequate capacity is provided during the core hours to cater for demand once retail and hospitality is permitted
Hull – Halifax reduced to 1tp2h
Nottingham – Leeds via Barnsley 1tph
Lincoln – Leeds via Barnsley CANCELLED

flitwickbeds

Still nothing from SWR except Island Line.

Wierd to see zero services from the UK's busiest railway station with just seven weeks to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.