• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2021 Timetable Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoneSouth

Similarly on Saturdays a couple of round trips Bristol to/from Worcester and Great Malvern have been cut back to Gloucester. Selected XC services call at Ashchurch to avoid creating 4h gaps.
You have to be kidding, the service is dire already and has 2 hour gaps, this surely now means 4 hour gaps if you want to travel to Worcester FS or Malvern, or a journey from Cheltenham to Malvern is extended by god knows how much with a long wait at Worcestershire Parkway. Joy!

Woeful service GWR

Doesn’t look like the XC Manchester to Bristol service is back (apologies if I’ve missed something).

Cheltenham still missing quite a few services so what’s the feeling here, will GWR restore the full Bristol-Malvern later in the year or will it just be quietly forgotten about and left to die. Similarly, will XC restore the full Bristol service within the next timetable period or is that just too much to hope. Changing at New Street is much harder than it used to be and I’d rather a through service up to the north west if possible.

I do feel lots of these reductions are a sign of things to come and for those of us without any alternative to using public transport it’s going to be a rough future, probably even worse for bus users!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sufian123

You have to be kidding, the service is dire already and has 2 hour gaps, this surely now means 4 hour gaps if you want to travel to Worcester FS or Malvern, or a journey from Cheltenham to Malvern is extended by god knows how much with a long wait at Worcestershire Parkway. Joy!

Woeful service GWR

Doesn’t look like the XC Manchester to Bristol service is back (apologies if I’ve missed something).

Cheltenham still missing quite a few services so what’s the feeling here, will GWR restore the full Bristol-Malvern later in the year or will it just be quietly forgotten about and left to die. Similarly, will XC restore the full Bristol service within the next timetable period or is that just too much to hope. Changing at New Street is much harder than it used to be and I’d rather a through service up to the north west if possible.

I do feel lots of these reductions are a sign of things to come and for those of us without any alternative to using public transport it’s going to be a rough future, probably even worse for bus users!
If social distance comes to an end when it does. I’m sure XC might bring back Manchester to Bristol.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Anyone wanting services to and from Southampton / Reading and Bristol / Manchester to return then I don't think its happening in the May 2021 timetable.

I spoke to XC via DM when they weren't busy and at the minute they'll be using the trains they have to increase capacity in the current timetable (definitely Voyagers and I guess 170's too). This is so that passengers can socially distance and travel safely.

southern442

Established Member
Hounslow loop via Richmond - becomes peaks only

Looking on RTT, the Hounslow loop services between about 9:30 and 15:00 are shown as being in the timetable, but with a 'runs as required' status. Perhaps this means they intend to bring them back later on in the summer?

Both Weymouth & Sailsbury are down to hourly.
Sailsbury is not so much of an issue as trains can all be 6 -9 cars but the Weymouths are still shown as detaching/attaching at Bournemouth.
I would have thought an hourly service would need 10 cars and not 5 considering social distancing.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Both Weymouth & Sailsbury are down to hourly.
Sailsbury is not so much of an issue as trains can all be 6 -9 cars but the Weymouths are still shown as detaching/attaching at Bournemouth.
I would have thought an hourly service would need 10 cars and not 5 considering social distancing.
They can’t run 10 car trains beyond (west of) Poole sidings because of power limitations.

pompeyfan

Established Member
They can do with permission from the ECRO. I think if the timetable allowed you could have one 10 car drawing juice

irish_rail

Established Member

Woeful service GWR

You make a very good point about New st. Since its downgrade....sorry I mean "upgrade" it truly is an awkward place to change trains at, especially for the occasional traveller. Direct services from the south west to North west would be really good, not just Bristol to Manc, but how's about Plymouth to Manchester or Liverpool? I just feel XC was so much more useful when the destinations where more varied rather than the strict clock face pattern of destinations.

berneyarms

Established Member

Woeful service GWR

The 2 hourly GWR schedule is shown as being restored from 2 August on Real Time Trains

A tip is to check a date in mid-September and check the detail to see when they are due to operate from and until.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The 2 hourly GWR schedule is shown as being restored from 2 August on Real Time Trains

A tip is to check a date in mid-September and check the detail to see when they are due to operate from and until.
This will just be the end date for the current set of (planned) cancellations. That doesn't mean it won't be extended.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
The service reductions from Gloucester-Worcester/Malvern are on Saturdays only and will last until December. The normal service operates Mon-Fri.

setdown

I see London Northwestern are not returning to half-hourly between Birmingham and Liverpool. It's sad that we're going backwards, but even before the pandemic, there was only one service that would be busy into Liverpool in the morning peak. Maybe this is a chance to make some cuts that wouldn't have been politically acceptable beforehand!

infobleep

Veteran Member
The service reductions from Gloucester-Worcester/Malvern are on Saturdays only and will last until December. The normal service operates Mon-Fri.
Are they expecting more staff in December or is it that other lines require less staff and trains? Although saying that staff will require to know the route so it's not like one can just switch.

Mintona

Established Member

The MP for Gloucester tweeted a little while back (last summer) that Gloucester - Worcester would be going hourly from December 2020 (along with Gloucester - Bristol going half hourly). Obviously other events then occurred. I wonder if that is now the plan from December 2021, covid dependent.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Are they expecting more staff in December or is it that other lines require less staff and trains? Although saying that staff will require to know the route so it's not like one can just switch.

My understanding is that Gloucester traincrew depot are covering a number of additional Turbo workings on the Stroud Valley vice IETs to reduce the number of turns worked by Paddington. To avoid overloading Gloucester depot the Worcesters have been temporarily thinned.

The MP for Gloucester tweeted a little while back (last summer) that Gloucester - Worcester would be going hourly from December 2020 (along with Gloucester - Bristol going half hourly). Obviously other events then occurred. I wonder if that is now the plan from December 2021, covid dependent.

I believe that is still the plan but the commencement date may have slipped as it is part of the MetroWest enhancements.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'm disappointed GWR haven't restored the 22:34 M-F North Downs Line departure from Reading, leaving a two hour hole in the timetable. That said, a Q path is visible on Realtime Trains from 24 May so fingers crossed it is restored sooner rather than later as its absence breaks a lot of useful connections.
There's also a gap in the Waterloo service from Reading between 2212 and 2302, so combined with the gap in the North Downs service this makes an evening out in Reading from Wokingham not as easy as it once was.

father_jack

I wonder will the intended 4 return services using Castle HSTs from Bristol TM to Worcester Foregate Street on a Sunday in the new timetable survive then if Gloucester depot is appearing to be prioritising covering the Stroud Valley for London connections ?

Attachments

• Sunday Bristol[2224].pdf
    225 KB · Views: 50

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Today’s level of cancellations of SWR services in the Salisbury area due to traincrew shortages give proof that operators are doing the right thing planning service reductions in the May 2021 timetable change.

No point trying to run more trains than you can realistically operate - it’s better to have a reduced service that actually operates than a too ambitious one.

You have to remember that whilst rest day working levels have been high in the pandemic now things are opening up not everyone wants to work their rest day and so the level of resource available on a daily basis actually in some cases reduces from before.

father_jack

Today’s level of cancellations of SWR services in the Salisbury area due to traincrew shortages give proof that operators are doing the right thing planning service reductions in the May 2021 timetable change.

No point trying to run more trains than you can realistically operate - it’s better to have a reduced service that actually operates than a too ambitious one.

You have to remember that whilst rest day working levels have been high in the pandemic now things are opening up not everyone wants to work their rest day and so the level of resource available on a daily basis actually in some cases reduces from before.
Well said.

But off topic for here but related to another current debate, that magic phrase comes up again- REST DAY WORKING. And what happens if you do a RDW on a Saturday ? You feel rather inclined to go non available Sunday, wouldn't you agree ?

GoneSouth

I wonder will the intended 4 return services using Castle HSTs from Bristol TM to Worcester Foregate Street on a Sunday in the new timetable survive then if Gloucester depot is appearing to be prioritising covering the Stroud Valley for London connections ?
I hope that isn’t the full Bristol to Gloucester timetable as the last departure from TM is at 1738. Please tell me there’s a later stopper.

There's also a gap in the Waterloo service from Reading between 2212 and 2302, so combined with the gap in the North Downs service this makes an evening out in Reading from Wokingham not as easy as it once was.
This makes me laugh (but in a pained way) see my earlier comment. 50 minutes isn’t a gap, try the Saturday service between the neighbouring counties of Gloucestershire and Worcestershire with 4 hour gaps. Now that’s a gap!

Kite159

Veteran Member

And that is already with the Salisbury - Basingstoke stoppers replaced by buses until this evening!

Nice to see GWR calling at Dean & Dunbridge.

father_jack

I hope that isn’t the full Bristol to Gloucester timetable as the last departure from TM is at 1738. Please tell me there’s a later stopper.
That is only the Castle HST timetable for cranking purposes so yes there are later units.

Goldfish62

Established Member
This makes me laugh (but in a pained way) see my earlier comment. 50 minutes isn’t a gap, try the Saturday service between the neighbouring counties of Gloucestershire and Worcestershire with 4 hour gaps. Now that’s a gap!
Well that's a bit of a nonsensical comment. Some who have one train a week, eg Denton, may consider you're silly to complain about a four hour gap!

Do I have to explain how it's all relative?

jimm

Established Member
I take it you are referring to the GWR services between the cities of Gloucester and Worcester. There are, of course, plenty of trains between the two counties, in the shape of XC services calling at Worcestershire Parkway.

GoneSouth

Well that's a bit of a nonsensical comment. Some who have one train a week, eg Denton, may consider you're silly to complain about a four hour gap!

Do I have to explain how it's all relative?
Well it isn’t nonsensical if the train you use has just been canned for the rest of the summer. Indeed, Silly me for trying to use public transport for work and leisure.

I know, COVID COVID COVID, it’s changed a lot of our lives in the past year but lets not pretend this is ALL Covid related though, I have had many taxis to Cheltenham from FS when even the weekday service has not been able to run over the past couple of years. It’s the provinces, we suck it up and get on with it (and that includes Denton)

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Well it isn’t nonsensical if the train you use has just been canned for the rest of the summer. Indeed, Silly me for trying to use public transport for work and leisure.

And the railway is desperate to provide the train service for this purpose but sadly we just can’t quite achieve that yet, Covid has exacerbated traincrew shortages to chronic levels.

You only have to look at the disruption around Salisbury today to show you can plan something that is a reduced service on normal levels and it’s still not possible to achieve.

GoneSouth

That is only the Castle HST timetable for cranking purposes so yes there are later units.
Glad the HSTs will still be making an appearance on the line, feels very luxurious to travel on one on a local stopping line

And the railway is desperate to provide the train service for this purpose but sadly we just can’t quite achieve that yet, Covid has exacerbated traincrew shortages to chronic levels.

You only have to look at the disruption around Salisbury today to show you can plan something that is a reduced service on normal levels and it’s still not possible to achieve.
I do appreciate the efforts of staff to get out and run the services but it is just a bit frustrating that this train crew problem has persisted for a few years with GWR (and probably others), particularly at weekends. I just hope there is a commitment to sorting out the problem from GWR so that those of us who NEED to use trains to access employment can do so with greater confidence.

I will also say thank you to all of you who have been out over the past year helping us get to where we need to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.