• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2023 changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brubulus

Were the BDQ services hourly throughout the day the fleet of 333s would be sufficient to cover all Triangle services.
Interesting. I'm presuming hourly was the situation before 331 introduction then or has 333 reliability declined?
If you get 331s off the route, that's where the real cost saving is so I'm going to think that's the intention of the timetable change, and the school services are going to somehow fit in with that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Anyway, have the TfW changes finally been published onto sites such as real time trains? If yes, has it been confirmed that there will be an increase in frequency of trains between Swansea and Pembrokeshire destinations like Haverfordwest, Pembroke Dock and Milford Haven?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Cross Country is in Real Time Trains. Shows Bristol to Manchester trains but will they stay there. 4 or 5 Reading to York or Newcastle. Although I think it was mentioned up thread that XC changes were already in the initial TT.
RTT is also showing the former 08:03 Mancheste Picc - Paignton has returned.

InkyScrolls

Interesting. I'm presuming hourly was the situation before 331 introduction then or has 333 reliability declined?
If you get 331s off the route, that's where the real cost saving is so I'm going to think that's the intention of the timetable change, and the school services are going to somehow fit in with that.
To be honest I'm not sure - in theory 333s could just about cope with the half hourly timetable but you'd only have one spare unit, so overall resilience would be/was poorer.

Brubulus

To be honest I'm not sure - in theory 333s could just about cope with the half hourly timetable but you'd only have one spare unit, so overall resilience would be/was poorer.
Given the 332s scrapping, there should be lots of spares for 333s and they've always been pretty reliable.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I see 1V60 is now back to running all the way to Penzance, it also regains the Leuchars call but loses that at Dunbar. Despite this re-extension, the December change to the Aberdeen services remains - the service from Plymouth only runs to Aberdeen on Fridays and Saturdays.

subk2010

Looks like XC have reduced Glasgow Central Mon-Fri according to RTT.

1S43 and 1S47 are now terminating at Edinburgh. 1S51 is extended instead (and starts from Plymouth) but a later arrival into Glasgow. Also happens to be a HST though which is good.

If TPE extended their Edinburgh-Newcastle/Liverpool services to Glasgow then I wouldn't mind XC reducing.

Wonder who is the successor of the unique route that is ran by 1C99 to Edinburgh. Seems the Slateford Junction - Craiglockhart Junction - Portobello Junction route is no longer open to passengers.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Wonder who is the successor of the unique route that is ran by 1C99 to Edinburgh. Seems the Slateford Junction - Craiglockhart Junction - Portobello Junction route is no longer open to passengers.
Interesting one, there are some freight and both ScotRail and CrossCountry Empty Stock moves that way but it does appear no actual passenger workings now.

Either that or that move has yet to be finalised and uploaded to the systems and thus not displaying in RTT yet.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Anyway, have the TfW changes finally been published onto sites such as real time trains? If yes, has it been confirmed that there will be an increase in frequency of trains between Swansea and Pembrokeshire destinations like Haverfordwest, Pembroke Dock and Milford Haven?
Doubt it been 2 hourly for years and nothing reported locally for it to change

Bantamzen

Established Member
Maybe it’s to cut costs, which seems pointless if the depots that sign the route have more staff than pre-Covid. It also makes unit utilisation less efficient by disrupting the inter working of services at Bradford Forster Square.

Regarding ridership, whilst 4 coaches is overkill on most services, the exception being those used by Schoolkids, I think they do justify being twice-hourly; The way people will be discouraged from driving into Bradford now that the LEZ is in force is to provide a frequent, high-quality rail service. Maybe when the 331/1s are swapped for 331/0s these services can drop down to three carriages.

I see no justification for cutting these services down to hourly.
There really isn't, especially as the area is trying to get people out of their cars. This is simply going to put more and more people off using the railways, which frankly seems to be the "new normal" for both government and the industry.

Fortunately it isn't. Hourly is approximately 0900-1500 from BDQ-ILK and similarly BDQ-SKI, which is a significant improvement, meaning that all the peak and post-peak traffic is covered.
It's a similar pattern to (eg) Victoria-Orpington and East Grinstead down South.
It is not an improvement, all lines are currently 2tph throughout the day. If this is the final plan, it dials back to the cuts of May 2022 with a couple of extras in the peaks.

Sly Old Fox

I don’t know how complete the data is, but it looks like Great Malvern is all but losing through services to Cheltenham, Gloucester and Bristol, and no more empty trains each morning and evening between Stoke Gifford and Hereford. Could be the end of Great Western trains via Abergavenny, they’ve been going that way for many years.

Halish Railway

Established Member
333s have never resourced the Shipley triangle on their own, there have always been either diesel workings, Dusty Bins or 331s. When BDQ to SKI/ILK was hourly from the May 2022 timetable and throughout the reduced Covid timetable there were plenty of 331 workings. Bare in mind that 331s also work the Leeds to Doncaster services.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
All North Cotswold (Oxford) services no longer call at Slough from May. Instead, Paddington-Didcot are fast Paddington-Slough

As expected then with the Elizabeth line taking over the majority of the relief line traffic.

Brubulus

333s have never resourced the Shipley triangle on their own, there have always been either diesel workings, Dusty Bins or 331s. When BDQ to SKI/ILK was hourly from the May 2022 timetable and throughout the reduced Covid timetable there were plenty of 331 workings. Bare in mind that 331s also work the Leeds to Doncaster services.
I definetly remember a few 321 diagrams, but I can now see the obvious advantage of cutting back the Bradford services to hourly from a cost perspective.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
On the North Downs, the 2234 from Reading is restored as far as Guildford, then running empty back to Reading. The unnecessary waits at Guildford on the stoppers and restoration of Turbo timings will have to wait for another timetable.

I understand a proposal has been submitted to NR to look at the route in a future timetable change. The main issue is the turbo timings were based on the 165/0s initially allocated to the route which had better acceleration due to their lower top speed. Right time performance on the old turbo timetable was somewhat fickle.

This 165/1s it was accepted struggled on the old turbo timings are but the 769 timings are too slow for them so some work is needed to produce some robust timings.

The return of the 22.34 on the Western end of the line is a welcome improvement.

In other GWR changes:

The 10.04 Paddington to Penzance on weekdays reverts to running non stop Reading to Exeter (should please @irish_rail). The 09.37 Paddington to Paignton ceases to call at Newbury and Pewsey, instead there’s a new 08.38 Paddington to Westbury semi-fast service.

Weston-super-Mare to Paddington through daytime services are restored on weekdays, running every 2 hours.

Also roughly every 2 hours Monday to Saturday services extend from Swansea to Carmarthen. The previously mentioned Summer Saturday services to Pembroke are restored.

The new “Metro West” services are included:

Standard pattern 2 hourly Bristol to Weymouth with a peak extra each way, quite an improvement on todays service. These run at xx03 from Bristol with even hours running to Weymouth and odd hours to Westbury. These trains all run to/from Gloucester as the additional service on that axis from Bristol. The current Bristol to Weymouth / Westbury / Warminster path at xx45 from Bristol extends to Salisbury most hours providing an hourly service at Dilton Marsh for most of the day.

Worcester to Bristol services become standalone and run every hour.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
with the Clean Air Zone in force between Bradford and Shipley.

people will be discouraged from driving into Bradford now that the LEZ is in force
This does not apply to cars, so has no impact on commuter traffic.

Back on topic, there isn't really a need for six trains per hour between Shipley and Bradford. Lots of empty seats when trains to Leeds are full and standing.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The 10.04 Paddington to Penzance on weekdays reverts to running non stop Reading to Taunton
I think you mean non-stop Reading to Exeter, omitting Taunton and Tiverton Parkway - saving 11 mins.

Thus producing a 2h01 timing to Exeter and 4h56 to Penzance.

Pity another minute couldn't have been cut to achieve a headline two hours to Exeter timing.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I think you mean non-stop Reading to Exeter, omitting Taunton and Tiverton Parkway - saving 11 mins.

Thus producing a 2h01 timing to Exeter and 4h56 to Penzance.

Pity another minute couldn't have been cut to achieve a headline two hours to Exeter timing.

Spot on, thanks for pointing that out. Post now edited.

Class 170101

Established Member
I don’t know how complete the data is, but it looks like Great Malvern is all but losing through services to Cheltenham, Gloucester and Bristol, and no more empty trains each morning and evening between Stoke Gifford and Hereford. Could be the end of Great Western trains via Abergavenny, they’ve been going that way for many years.
Now starts at Great Malvern as 1P18

ECS from Stoke Gifford via Worcester

Without going through Real Time Trains I guess the same applies in reverse.

Worcester to Bristol services become standalone and run every hour.
Broadly speaking though there are still some gaps.

InkyScrolls

With the exception of the through services to Carlisle/Lancaster, was there not a few years following the withdrawal of the 308s when 333s were the only traction? Prior to the introduction of 322s and 321s.

Bantamzen

Established Member
This does not apply to cars, so has no impact on commuter traffic.

Back on topic, there isn't really a need for six trains per hour between Shipley and Bradford. Lots of empty seats when trains to Leeds are full and standing.
The services don't just go between Bradford and Shipley though. Just because a service might be empty one day, doesn't mean it won't be busy the next. As I've said it has always been the case in the past that when the sun comes out, there are often lots of people headed out on impromptu days / evenings out because the frequency allowed them to it. But last summer it was noted by businesses on these destinations that noted and complained about the adverse effect the service reductions were having. Knocking back services when demand is highest is simply daft. The Aire and Wharfe lines have been able to maintain 2tph pretty much since the wires went up, and it has as a result attracted increasing use. This move will reverse that.

Besides all that, even when services from Bradford are cut back, there are no additional services to Leeds. Instead units just sit in Forster Square so they not adding to capacity. Last summer it wasn't uncommon to see 2 or 3 units parked there doing nothing, whilst one the adjacent roads potential passengers were queuing in traffic.

Veteran Member
It is not an improvement, all lines are currently 2tph throughout the day. If this is the final plan, it dials back to the cuts of May 2022 with a couple of extras in the peaks.
I meant an improvement WRT May 22, I am sorry that wasn't clear. I make it 7 or 8 extra services (though 5-6 less than currently).

Bantamzen

Established Member
I meant an improvement WRT May 22, I am sorry that wasn't clear. I make it 7 or 8 extra services (though 5-6 less than currently).
Sorry I had read it as an improvement on the current timetable. Yes it does include a few extras in the peak on the May 22 timetable, but I am still perplexed as to why any such reduction would be made especially in summer when the Aire & Wharfe lines are more popular to destinations such as Saltaire, Skipton & Ilkley for walk-up customers. Last summer was very notable for how much quieter it was than even the previous summer. I worry that a combination of covid restrictions, operational difficulties & industrial action are being used to cut services using the cover of fewer passengers during these periods. As I say these lines have kept a 2tph service for many years, so cutting them back just as local economies are trying to recover from everything is madness.

Its starting to feel like a death by a thousand cuts.

InkyScrolls

Sorry I had read it as an improvement on the current timetable. Yes it does include a few extras in the peak on the May 22 timetable, but I am still perplexed as to why any such reduction would be made especially in summer when the Aire & Wharfe lines are more popular to destinations such as Saltaire, Skipton & Ilkley for walk-up customers. Last summer was very notable for how much quieter it was than even the previous summer. I worry that a combination of covid restrictions, operational difficulties & industrial action are being used to cut services using the cover of fewer passengers during these periods. As I say these lines have kept a 2tph service for many years, so cutting them back just as local economies are trying to recover from everything is madness.

It is rather strange, given there'll be the same number of crew, working the same days, and thus requiring the same pay. So there's no savings there. The units aren't being utilised on extra Leeds service that I can see, so there's no saving there either. And Northern will still be paying for the paths, in case they want to bring the services back. So no savings there either! Other than maintenance I can't see what money is being saved, and even that will be marginal.

YorksLad12

Established Member

A bit speculative (I'll start a thread later), but: if there are too many services between Shipley and Bradford, why not cut the Leeds-Bradford route instead? People can change at Shipley once - or twice - per hour, while maintaining the longer-distance routes. The way it's done, it's all or nothing once an hour.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It is rather strange, given there'll be the same number of crew, working the same days, and thus requiring the same pay. So there's no savings there. The units aren't being utilised on extra Leeds service that I can see, so there's no saving there either. And Northern will still be paying for the paths, in case they want to bring the services back. So no savings there either! Other than maintenance I can't see what money is being saved, and even that will be marginal.
The spare units will just probably sit at Forster Square for hours at a time, giving the added bonus to the punters of having to walk to the far ends of P1/2 when they are occupied by these and needed for units actually running a passenger service. So unless this is an incomplete pattern of services, with more to be loaded, its probably time for me to dust off last year's emails to local politicians to get them asking questions, again.

For the first time in a very long time, I am actually contemplating taking my drivers licence test (I took it once in 1987 & decided not to bother again for context).

OrangeJuice

Cross Country is in Real Time Trains. Shows Bristol to Manchester trains but will they stay there. 4 or 5 Reading to York or Newcastle. Although I think it was mentioned up thread that XC changes were already in the initial TT.
Also a return to hourly Bournemouth to Manchester rather than 2hourly curtailments at Reading. Does mean they shall all be single sets due to interworking at Manchester. Seems mostly a return to precovid times finally. But not quite full half hourly between reading and Birmingham yet

Status
Not open for further replies.