• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and Eastern Scottish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
* No3/4 will be double.
* Looks like No2 will be going to Forth Valley Hospital as the new route to Hospital come form Bo'ness.
* New buses coming for Glasgow Express.
I’m assuming the new vehicles are more second hand or cascades? I’ve been expecting to eventually see Citaros on the Glasgow expresses since they took over.

You’d think if the 2 is the route to run to FVRH that it’s being split in half. Ie Bo’ness to FVRH is a half hourly 2 service while the areas/villages down to Limerigg get an alternative, perhaps new service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
Either way its clear as day where McGill believe there bus chance of growth within the old First Scotland East Empire, I welcome any improvements. I think 3/4 is the route that will get double, I think the new cross town link to Forth Valley hospital will be No1 from Maddiston

Edit: There is post on Facebook now saying

* No3/4 will be double.
* Looks like No2 will be going to Forth Valley Hospital as the new route to Hospital come form Bo'ness.
* New buses coming for Glasgow Express.
Will this then lead to the Limerigg to Falkirk part of the route being an entirely separate new service? I doubt the 2 would be attractive to Forth Valley Hospital if it was just hourly to there. I wonder if it'll be routed via Falkirk Community Hospital still too. I'd imagine so given that it's an easy route to fit in.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I wonder if Scotland East will see any new buses out with the second hand modern stock that’s been cascaded in.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
You’d think if the 2 is the route to run to FVRH that it’s being split in half. Ie Bo’ness to FVRH is a half hourly 2 service while the areas/villages down to Limerigg get an alternative, perhaps new service?
I would take a punt at the 2s which currently terminate at Falkirk Community Hospital (just outside the town centre) being extended to FVRH on an hourly frequency

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I would take a punt at the 2s which currently terminate at Falkirk Community Hospital (just outside the town centre) being extended to FVRH on an hourly frequency
That was something I had considered as well, but I felt that seemed a very low frequency? If that does happen logically a 2A is the way to go with that.

Mullac321

https://www.mcgillsscotlandeast.co.uk/times-are-getting-better-13-aug

A summary of timetable changes is on the website now.

Midland Bluebird has been part of the McGill’s Group now for less than a year, but we are keen to create improvements and make your bus network as easy to use and sustainable as we can.

Over 100 buses have been replaced to improve our reliability and we have recruited 60 new drivers. Now, after gaining experience of understanding the performance of the network and examining customer & colleague feedback, we are ready to bring you some changes across our networks. Many of these changes are designed to improve our timekeeping, some will see timetables increased and a few will see very poorly used journeys withdrawn. We are keen to give you plenty of notice on these changes so you can plan in advance – new timetables for you to preview will be available on this page soon.

1 Dunipace – Falkirk – Maddiston

There will be some timetable changes to improve our timekeeping.

2 Forth Valley Royal Hospital – Falkirk – Bo’ness

New cross-town link to Forth Valley Royal Hospital

Current route 2 will now extend from Falkirk to the Forth Valley Royal Hospital along the current route of the 6 (which will no longer run). Falkirk Community Hospital will now be served by route F2 instead. There will be changes to the timetable to improve our timekeeping.

3 & 4 Falkirk – Grangemouth

We’re doubling the number of buses

Our combined timetable will be doubled to run every 15 mins, Mon-Sat, as well as further tweaks to improve our timekeeping.

6 Forth Valley Hospital – Falkirk – Falkirk Wheel

This route will be replaced by the extended route 2 between Falkirk and Forth Valley Hospital. A potential replacement bus F6, for the section of route between Falkirk Wheel and Falkirk, is currently being evaluated by Falkirk Council. 7 & 8 will offer a further alternative link to the Falkirk Wheel from Ochiltree Terrace.

35 Falkirk – Kilsyth

We will no longer serve Croy and Condorrat due to low usage. We will change the remainder of the timetable to become more reliable.

X36 X37 Stirling or Falkirk – Glasgow

Better, brighter buses for quicker, comfier journeys

We will be introducing a dedicated fleet of buses to this route which will mean quicker, comfier journeys – they’ll feature high back seats, tables and charging points so you can make the most of your time on board. Look out for updates on this soon as we reveal more! There will be some timetable changes to improve our timekeeping.

38 Stirling – Falkirk

There will be some timetables changes to improve our timekeeping.

X38 Falkirk – Edinburgh

We will now run between Falkirk and Edinburgh to improve our timekeeping. Buses will start and finish at Upper Newmarket Street in Falkirk. You’ll still be able to get to and from Falkirk Community Hospital on routes 7 & 8, which stop on the eastern side. A new timetable will be introduced.

51 Stirling – Alloa

The section of route between Stirling and Cowie will be covered by new route 56. We will no longer serve Clackmannan due to low usage. There will be some timetable changes to improve our timekeeping.

52 Stirling – Alloa

56 Stirling – Cowie

New route to replace the 51. Through fares will remain available if you need to travel across Stirling.

59 Stirling – Callendar

F2 Falkirk – Limerigg

New route to replace the current route 2 to and from Limerigg.

Last edited by a moderator:

stevenedin

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Seems interesting. It seems like they are leaving more buses for the Council to pick up (F2 and F6).

I’m interested in the newer buses that they are talking about. Do any through the west meet the criteria what they mention when they say high backed seats and tables?
I’m sure the Limerigg section of the 2 was already Falkirk Council funded anyway. I did expect that to be separated and indeed that is what has happened.

Observer

Seems interesting. It seems like they are leaving more buses for the Council to pick up (F2 and F6).

I’m interested in the newer buses that they are talking about. Do any through the west meet the criteria what they mention when they say high backed seats and tables?
They're on about the E400MMCs (the ones from Livingston and Bannockburn). Tables are being added to them from what I understand, I will find the tweet from Ralph Roberts saying this when I get a minute.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
Midland Bluebird has been part of the McGill’s Group now for less than a year, but we are keen to create improvements and make your bus network as easy to use and sustainable as we can.

Over 100 buses have been replaced to improve our reliability and we have recruited 60 new drivers. Now, after gaining experience of understanding the performance of the network and examining customer & colleague feedback, we are ready to bring you some changes across our networks. Many of these changes are designed to improve our timekeeping, some will see timetables increased and a few will see very poorly used journeys withdrawn. We are keen to give you plenty of notice on these changes so you can plan in advance – new timetables for you to preview will be available on this page soon.

1 Dunipace – Falkirk – Maddiston

2 Forth Valley Royal Hospital – Falkirk – Bo’ness

New cross-town link to Forth Valley Royal Hospital

Current route 2 will now extend from Falkirk to the Forth Valley Royal Hospital along the current route of the 6 (which will no longer run). Falkirk Community Hospital will now be served by route F2 instead. There will be changes to the timetable to improve our timekeeping.

3 & 4 Falkirk – Grangemouth

We’re doubling the number of buses

Our combined timetable will be doubled to run every 15 mins, Mon-Sat, as well as further tweaks to improve our timekeeping.

6 Forth Valley Hospital – Falkirk – Falkirk Wheel

This route will be replaced by the extended route 2 between Falkirk and Forth Valley Hospital. A potential replacement bus F6, for the section of route between Falkirk Wheel and Falkirk, is currently being evaluated by Falkirk Council. 7 & 8 will offer a further alternative link to the Falkirk Wheel from Ochiltree Terrace.

35 Falkirk – Kilsyth

We will no longer serve Croy and Condorrat due to low usage. We will change the remainder of the timetable to become more reliable.

X36 X37 Stirling or Falkirk – Glasgow

Better, brighter buses for quicker, comfier journeys

We will be introducing a dedicated fleet of buses to this route which will mean quicker, comfier journeys – they’ll feature high back seats, tables and charging points so you can make the most of your time on board. Look out for updates on this soon as we reveal more! There will be some timetable changes to improve our timekeeping.

38 Stirling – Falkirk

There will be some timetables changes to improve our timekeeping.

X38 Falkirk – Edinburgh

We will now run between Falkirk and Edinburgh to improve our timekeeping. Buses will start and finish at Upper Newmarket Street in Falkirk. You’ll still be able to get to and from Falkirk Community Hospital on routes 7 & 8, which stop on the eastern side. A new timetable will be introduced.

51 Stirling – Alloa

The section of route between Stirling and Cowie will be covered by new route 56. We will no longer serve Clackmannan due to low usage. There will be some timetable changes to improve our timekeeping.

52 Stirling – Alloa

56 Stirling – Cowie

New route to replace the 51. Through fares will remain available if you need to travel across Stirling.

59 Stirling – Callendar

F2 Falkirk – Limerigg

New route to replace the current route 2 to and from Limerigg.

Before the full details were released I was rather excited, Of course I didn't expect to set the heather on fire but if you do the maths, there is no increase in PVR. On top of that there going back to some of the failed idea First tried years ago, like pulling out the direct link to Clackmannan from Stirling and extending the Bo'ness bus to the Hospital Via Larbart again.

I would expect the New F2 and 35 to be interworked. I wonder if the two SPT contract jounerys on the 35 to Cumbernauld on Saturday morning are staying?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
They're on about the E400MMCs (the ones from Livingston and Bannockburn). Tables are being added to them from what I understand, I will find the tweet from Ralph Roberts saying this when I get a minute.
I presume you refer to this tweet: https://twitter.com/NoConceptOfTime/status/1648406321719287811
There is a plan Tables going into the X36 / X37 upstairs which will release seats to replace these. Great for airports but not an inter urban route.
Looks like the plan is to add tables to the ones without racks for the X36/7 and then use the seats freed from those to remove the racks from the ones that do have them.

It says on bustimes.org that bus 8949 (E400MMC) has been repainted into Midland Bluebird livery, does anyone have an image of the repainted livery?

It says on bustimes.org that bus 8949 (E400MMC) has been repainted into Midland Bluebird livery, does anyone have an image of the repainted livery?

If it's anything like any other repaint; it's probably only just entered the paintshop and someone has changed it. (despite bustimes rules stating it should be completed before change)

PaulMc7

Established Member
I've got into a discussion regarding the X38 and its frequency with someone on Facebook and they've suggested that it could do with an increase in frequency so that it times up and fits in with the 38 at Falkirk more easily. I said to them that the peak time journeys could warrant an increase but in reality, the rest of the day would need increased passenger loads to be worth an every 20 minute frequency. Is this a fair assessment?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I've got into a discussion regarding the X38 and its frequency with someone on Facebook and they've suggested that it could do with an increase in frequency so that it times up and fits in with the 38 at Falkirk more easily. I said to them that the peak time journeys could warrant an increase but in reality, the rest of the day would need increased passenger loads to be worth an every 20 minute frequency. Is this a fair assessment?
It could do with an increase to 20 minutes all day

PaulMc7

Established Member
I've only really seen it in Falkirk or Edinburgh so not really in a position to judge the full route so thank you for your comment. I've also seen people suggest to run it later out of Edinburgh since the last journey is only 22:45 but I don't know how much later it could go and be busy enough to be viable.

voidwxrranty

I've only really seen it in Falkirk or Edinburgh so not really in a position to judge the full route so thank you for your comment. I've also seen people suggest to run it later out of Edinburgh since the last journey is only 22:45 but I don't know how much later it could go and be busy enough to be viable.
The last run being 22:45 seems perfectly feasible in my honest opinion, the journey doesn’t arrive into Camelon (terminates there instead of Community Hosp) until around about 00:20/00:25, which, if it went any later, would involve a driver swap at around 22:00.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The last run being 22:45 seems perfectly feasible in my honest opinion, the journey doesn’t arrive into Camelon (terminates there instead of Community Hosp) until around about 00:20/00:25, which, if it went any later, would involve a driver swap at around 22:00.
This was my thinking too to be honest. I can understand it when there are gigs or other events but getting drivers who would want to work any later is a difficult enough prospect just now for companies without adding more driver duties that run beyond the evening into the mix.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Perhaps the solution could be for Livingston to run a later service to Kirkliston and Winchburgh? I admit this isn’t flawless, but it’s probably the best way of pleasing everyone.

I wouldn’t run it beyond there as Linlithgow has the train service so that covers the last hour of the day, and I can’t see demand beyond the West Lothian boundary.

roadierway77

I've only done the X38 a couple of times but those few times it was quite busy overall - caught a service last week from Kirkliston over to Kingscavil and it was almost full. The return journey probably had about 15 passengers on board. This was in the midafternoon. It could likely benefit from a frequency increase I'd say.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I've only done the X38 a couple of times but those few times it was quite busy overall - caught a service last week from Kirkliston over to Kingscavil and it was almost full. The return journey probably had about 15 passengers on board. This was in the midafternoon. It could likely benefit from a frequency increase I'd say.
The likes of Kirkliston and Winchburgh are part of why I wondered about an increase especially the latter of the two. I also wonder if they could fit in a service from Falkirk to Livingston via Winchburgh. The council have failed so far to get anyone to take the proposed Winchburgh to Livingston service as per the discussion on the West Lothian Council Tenders thread. A longer service with the funded part included might be a tactic to get a company to take it as well as actually getting people to use it. More options tend to lead to more bus use.

No.

Absolutely.

It’s has always needed at least the 20 minute frequency all day.

cocoiadrop

The loss of the 35 beyond Kilsyth will be a fair bit of a loss considering the unreliablity of Canavans and will result in the loss of bus accessibility to Croy station for some early morning trips. I hope SPT step up there and find a replacement.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The loss of the 35 beyond Kilsyth will be a fair bit of a loss considering the unreliablity of Canavans and will result in the loss of bus accessibility to Croy station for some early morning trips. I hope SPT step up there and find a replacement.
On the Facebook post about the changes a couple of people mentioned this exact issue. The common sense approach if SPT do get involved would be to either just fund it to Condorrat or even into Cumbernauld Town Centre as people would probably use it due to the lack of reliability of Canavans.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...9hPKopVDgFB37VjZT46jcVzyUl&id=100085849728152

Reference to the 35:

You should extend the 35 to Cumbernauld Town Centre, a lot more people will use it as the 435 is a complete shambles

References to the X38:

Nathan Matthews last x38 10.45pm from Edinburgh and hourly service after 6pm… no night bus. X38 bus is not only used by people who live 26 miles away from Edinburgh but also used by commuters living in villages just outside Edinburgh with no alternative bus service.
Make the x38 cheaper and more frequent and run later
Hope the 38/X38 will be better timed to connect with each other in Falkirk. Nothing worse than having to stand out in the scorching sun, pouring rain or freezing cold for 20 minutes. But its Good that Bo'ness & Grangemouth are getting a direct hospital bus again even if it's via Falkirk & Stenhousemuir.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
The loadings I see on the X38 into or out of Edinburgh City Centre would certainly not justify an every 20 minutes service. The average loading I’d say is probably around 10 passengers off peak, and around 20 in the peak. Once it leaves the the city centre or before it arrives into the city centre though I have absolutely no idea how busy it is. I assume it picks up some at Drum Brae and Maybury but elsewhere on that stretch? I have no idea.

If it’s struggling to fill an Enviro200 off peak the chances of getting a frequency increase are slim to none I’m afraid. McGill’s won’t look at the potential but rather where it’s at just now due to the tight resources.

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

Perhaps a reason for low usage of the 35 Kilsyth - Condorrat is because it runs a couple of minutes behind the Canavan 43/435.

If the 35 was retimed around 15 minutes either way (the 43/435 runs every 30 minutes at present - when there are no drivers that are ill), it may pick up more passengers then.

Status
Not open for further replies.