• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Did anyone spot that Piers Corbyn’s £10,000 fine was not issued, after he contested it in court ? No? Funny how it the case was not featured prominently in newspapers...

The full article, if anyone would like to read it:

Piers Corbyn found guilty of breaching regulations at lockdown protest
Brother of former Labour leader spoke at May event in London’s Hyde Park

Piers Corbyn, the brother of the former Labour party leader, has been found guilty of breaching emergency health regulations at an anti-lockdown protest in London’s Hyde Park.

During the two-day trial in Westminster magistrates court, the 73-year-old weather forecaster and climate change denier argued that his rights to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly had been illegally restricted.

Corbyn had denied two counts of participating in public gatherings of more than two people during the coronavirus emergency in Hyde Park on 16 Mayand 30 May.

He was convicted of an offence on the first date but acquitted on the later charge. District Judge Sam Goozee ruled that it was wrong for Corbyn to be charged with breaching the regulations on 30 May , because he had already been issued with a fixed-penalty notice earlier that day.

Finding him guilty on the first charge, Goozee said: “Without the regulations in place, your conduct would have been lawful. But the enforcement of regulations was necessary for public health.

“Police took a measured response. You, however, didn’t engage with police – police action in arresting you was necessary and proportionate.”

The judge gave Corbyn an absolute discharge – meaning he will not be fined or face any further punishment – after hearing that he had spent 12 hours in custody after being arrested.

David Povall, prosecuting, earlier told the court that the gathering near the park’s Speakers’ Corner on 16 May involved around 100 anti-lockdown protesters. Corbyn, of Southwark, south London, had taken part in the protests by “addressing the gathering and encouraging … others to gather around him to listen to what he was saying,” the court heard.

Povall said officers had adopted a “light-touch policing” approach by encouraging the gatherings to “disperse without the necessity for enforcement action”.

But Corbyn, he added, had “deliberately” participated in the gathering “by way of making public addresses” and that he allegedly “disregarded advice and directions from police over a sustained period”.

A video played to the court showed Corbyn using a megaphone to claim that Covid-19 “is not a pandemic” and argue that “if it carries on like this, we have a Big Brother society imposed upon us”.

But Ben Cooper, QC, representing Corbyn, told the court: “This case concerns a 73-year-old, law-abiding man, who attended Speakers’ Corner alone on two occasions to peacefully and exclusively express dissent through use of speech.

“Mr Corbyn attended to deliver a short speech, and he did so during a period of time when members of the public were permitted and indeed encouraged to go outdoors for a variety of other, banal purposes. A man of good character, Mr Corbyn spent a considerable amount of time in a police cell as a result.”

Cooper said police made no attempts to facilitate a safe protest consistent with public health regulations. A “blanket ban” on all demonstrations was not necessary for the legitimate aim of protection of public health, Cooper added.

On the second date, other protests, including a Black Lives Matter demonstration, had been allowed to go ahead, the court was told.

Addressing around two dozen supporters outside the court after the verdict, Corbyn raised his fist in the air and said: “We’ve had a tremendous result.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adc82140

Established Member
This From Sky News.

"We conservatively estimate that a protective immune response after SARS-CoV-2 infection or vaccination may last for 90 days (moderate confidence)," they say.

Except this isn't the case, as later in the article

NERVTAG said a "significant number of people who have been infected… may have some 'immunity' that protects them during subsequent exposure".

There's nothing like taking stuff out of context is there? All that's happening is scientists covering their backsides in a communication to SAGE. This was never Intended for public consumption. We can't have any good news can we, Sky?

Last edited:

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Struggling to find the correct word without having to ban myself.
Would ‘Pillock’ cover it..?
The issue here is not whether or not people agree with his views. It is this: in a free society, is it desirable to issue £10,000 fines for exercising the right to free speech? I for one am pleased the fine was dropped.

greyman42

Established Member

brad465

Established Member
I confess this is a very optimistic suggestion, but the best thing I think the Government, SAGE and anyone else coordinating the Covid-19 response in the public eye could do to help us enjoy Christmas, is for them to completely shut up for a week. That means no communication with any media platform whatsoever, and no backroom meetings/planning that could see contents leaked to the media.

If they did this we could have a lovely break from listening to them and in turn all the negative Covid stuff, then in the new year start afresh and charge full speed ahead on the road to normality.

Scotrail12

Reddit always keep promoting pro masks and COVID restrictions threads, really annoying. Way too many posts making others out to be bad people. Is it just their clientele? I'm not going on there to discuss COVID, I wish the site algorithms would understand that.

jtuk

I confess this is a very optimistic suggestion, but the best thing I think the Government, SAGE and anyone else coordinating the Covid-19 response in the public eye could do to help us enjoy Christmas, is for them to completely shut up for a week. That means no communication with any media platform whatsoever, and no backroom meetings/planning that could see contents leaked to the media.

If they did this we could have a lovely break from listening to them and in turn all the negative Covid stuff, then in the new year start afresh and charge full speed ahead on the road to normality.

You can achieve this simply by turning the media off. It's worked well for me.

Domh245

Established Member
Reddit always keep promoting pro masks and COVID restrictions threads, really annoying. Way too many posts making others out to be bad people. Is it just their clientele? I'm not going on there to discuss COVID, I wish the site algorithms would understand that.

It is definitely down to the main users of the site: Younger, Democrat leaning Americans who've lapped up Fauci's "masks are 100% good" message. All you can do is filter out the 'problem' subreddits (r/Coronavirus and r/politics are good places to start) and downvote and move on from the other bits that filter through

Skimpot flyer

Established Member

Despite being an outdoor event with precautions, heavy emphasis on it being inappropriate in tier 3 and the obligatory “terrifying virus” quote.
And one woman said: "I usually go, but no chance this year. I had Covid and, believe me, it's horrendous”
Given that she’s had it, and as far as we know, people rarely get it a second time, MSM have certainly been 100% effective in killing her common sense gene...

Richard Scott

Established Member
And one woman said: "I usually go, but no chance this year. I had Covid and, believe me, it's horrendous”
Given that she’s had it, and as far as we know, people rarely get it a second time, MSM have certainly been 100% effective in killing her common sense gene...
By horrendous probably meant was flu like, which most people describe as horrendous, not had it so don't know. Why are people worried? They don't have to go, it's a choice, which is what should have been happening the past 8 months!
Typical media spin as usual, they don't want this to end as been easy pickings for them for 8 months.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Spot the difference; image one quoting 15,539 new infections detected is the official Goverment figures published today, Sunday 5th December; image two quoting 17,272 new infections detected is the headline on the BBC News website at the same time:

1607300519907.png 1607300616009.png

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The 5th December was Saturday.

Correct, but those are the figures published on the Sunday; the website clearly states a publication date of today 6th at 16.14. Unless the BBC has access to figures not being published until tomorrow, something is wrong somewhere.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what the issue is? The screenshot from the Government dashboard states the data is from Saturday 5th December with 15,539 cases reported. The BBC is reporting data from Sunday 6th December with 17,272 cases reported, as stated on the Government dashboard here: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases

The Government website won't carry the Sunday data until around 16.00 tomorrow ( Monday ) will it?

Sanatogen

The correct number is in the daily summary.

Attachments

• 44E25B3A-43E7-406F-8B8C-970CDFA53902.png
    44E25B3A-43E7-406F-8B8C-970CDFA53902.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The Government website won't carry the Sunday data until around 16.00 tomorrow ( Monday ) will it?
The data for Sunday will be continuously added over the next few days as the tests are processed. I think you are getting mixed up between data by specimen date (i.e. when the test was taken), and the data by date reported.

The figures I mentioned in my previous post #1,456 are by date reported - i.e. 17,272 tests reported on Sunday 6th December. In reality, these tests will have specimen dates from up to the past 3-4 days.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The data for Sunday will be continuously added over the next few days as the tests are processed. I think you are getting mixed up between data by specimen date (i.e. when the test was taken), and the data by date reported.

The figures I mentioned in my previous post #1,456 are by date reported - i.e. 17,272 tests reported on Sunday 6th December. In reality, these tests will have specimen dates from up to the past 3-4 days.

I'm going by this page - which usually matches the figures quoted on the BBC News at 18.00 ( although I didn't watch the news today in case I accidentally saw the result of the motor race! ): https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

1607305793428.png

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
The band Right Said Fred (they of I’m Too Sexy fame) have a new single out, called ‘We’re All Criminals’

Sums up perfectly this coronavirus madness....
There was a time
When there was peace of mind
Down my street
Now you can break the law
Before you're out the door
Down my street

It's all a sham, they don't give a damn
They'll twist the words we talk
And then you'll find yourself in court
If they don't like your sort

Can't cook, can't play
Can't leave, can't stay
We're all criminals
Can't kiss, can't hug
Can't dance, can't love
We're all criminals

Bantamzen

Established Member
There's definitely a sense of a mood change starting to come through the media, I noted last week even the BBC dared conduct a sympathetic article with one Welsh bar owner, even allowing their reporter and owner to talk without the aid of masks. And today in my local paper a report on Police threatening fines for anyone daring to cross from Interment Camp 3 to Internment Camp 2 has been met with a palatable sense of anger from a comments section that previously would have been baying for blood at the mere thought of someone walking outside their door.

Its these little signs that shows that patience is wearing thin.

DB

And today in my local paper a report on Police threatening fines for anyone daring to cross from Interment Camp 3 to Internment Camp 2 has been met with a palatable sense of anger from a comments section that previously would have been baying for blood at the mere thought of someone walking outside their door.

People were certainly doing that on Saturday - coming to Skipton from the towns further down the Aire valley.

Bantamzen

Established Member
People were certainly doing that on Saturday - coming to Skipton from the towns further down the Aire valley.
I was very nearly tempted myself! But if West Yorks stays in T3 after Christmas, I'm donning my work's lanyard and travelling where I like, all the authorities need to know is that I am travelling for works purposes.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I never thought that there would ever be a situation in my life where I’d be reading the lyrics of a Right Said Fred protest song...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There's definitely a sense of a mood change starting to come through the media, I noted last week even the BBC dared conduct a sympathetic article with one Welsh bar owner, even allowing their reporter and owner to talk without the aid of masks. And today in my local paper a report on Police threatening fines for anyone daring to cross from Interment Camp 3 to Internment Camp 2 has been met with a palatable sense of anger from a comments section that previously would have been baying for blood at the mere thought of someone walking outside their door.

Its these little signs that shows that patience is wearing thin.
I never thought I'd ever find myself deliberately listening to a Right Said Fred song.... o_O

Would this be North Yorkshire police per chance ? They risk making a laughing stock of themselves.

DB

I'm assuming so, the report doesn't say but with North Yorks Police being in their bored season its a reasonable assumption!

Well, no sign of them in Skipton on Saturday that I saw. In fact, the only police presence I've seen recently was the first day of the last lockdown, where five of them were hanging around in the high street (complete with riot van), all wearing masks for some reason. Two of them were standing by the doorway of Greggs - it wasn't clear whether they were checking for purchases of large numbers of sausage rolls as an indication of an illicit house party!

Status
Not open for further replies.