• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

shredder1

Established Member

Thanks very much, yes that would be the one, cheers.

What time was that?
It must have been the 10.20 movement from Kirkdale CS, but I thought it was later, I should have noted the time really.It was also strange that I stayed on Sandhills until 16.00 and It didnt come back??

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liverpool 507

Thanks very much, yes that would be the one, cheers.

It must have been the 10.20 movement from Kirkdale CS, but I thought it was later, I should have noted the time really.It was also strange that I stayed on Sandhills until 16.00 and It didnt come back??
Yes, it was the above movement to Birkenhead North. 777007 was also out and about yesterday

It seems that some of the 777s may well end up being numbered in the 7771xx range.

I say that because at innotrans this year, 1 of the units was on show carrying the number 777140 on its cab front.

For anybody wanting to see evidence of this, key in merseyrail class 777 at innotrans and you will see it.

gka472l

It seems that some of the 777s may well end up being numbered in the 7771xx range.

I say that because at innotrans this year, 1 of the units was on show carrying the number 777140 on its cab front.

For anybody wanting to see evidence of this, key in merseyrail class 777 at innotrans and you will see it.

Saw that, also noticed the individual car numbers were 4271**, 4281**, 4291**, 4301** etc too, although the ones already delivered are 4270** etc.....

Skie

/1 means traction batteries fitted, I believe. Thus all will be in time, as they are fitted.
Subject to the DFT releasing the funding, even though it has been agreed and the business case selected it could still not happen if the axe begins to swing. :(

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Saw that, also noticed the individual car numbers were 4271**, 4281**, 4291**, 4301** etc too, although the ones already delivered are 4270** etc.....
That indicates that the last three digits will reflect the new unit number. Not always the case on other classes iirc.

Established Member
777040-052, (even unit nos only) are to be 140-152
(7 units in total)
Why? This seems entirely superfluous. Are those 7 (presumably the initial 7 battery units for Headbolt Lane) to be renumbered back to 777/0 once the rest of the class is fitted with the same batteries? More pressingly the unit already fitted with this battery is 777049, not an even numbered unit or a /1 unit. Will this have to have the battery removed?

777003+013 were in the wall siding at Southport today as an 8 car. I believe this is the first time this has happened. Apparently they arrived separately.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
One year and one day since I first set foot on one of these units at the Southport show and tell and there still isn't a firm introduction date, just 'in the next few weeks' allegedly.

Luke McDonnell

On Moderation
Yes would like to see these entering service soon really looking forward to ride on these trains been a long wait I know the 777s will enter service on the Kirby line first do you see quite a few entering service before Christmas?

Bertie the bus

Established Member
It probably isn't worth speculating about how many units will be in service by what date until they give a firm date for introduction. Last week's announcement smacks of 'we said autumn and it is winter in 5 weeks so we'd better say something' rather than anything of substance.

Pacef8

Their was a kirkdale hooton ellesmere port run in the middle of the night as well as the derby train . Quite a busy 4 hour period.

8A Rail

Established Member
So for the dual sourcing, we can be sure that the even numbered units were produced in Switzerland and the odd numbered units were produced in Poland.

That was previously confirmed way back in this thread, so nothing new.

8A Rail

Established Member
Merseyrail have announced the closure of Liverpool Central (Northern Line) on 6-9 November "as preparations are made for the introduction of the new fleet of Class 777 trains". Are we safe to presume this is the lengthening of the reversing siding? "Line side equipment" is also mentioned - moving of signals?

Now cancelled, see:

https://www.merseyrail.org/plan-you...closure-affecting-northern-line-services.aspx /

https://twitter.com/merseyrail/status/1585580429876363266

Sam 76

Just seen 777007 at Southport. The passenger information screens now look to be working and look amazing too. Potentially another step forwards ?

DavidPowell

Hello everyone. I have just registered with the site and am here under my real name. Quite a few of you obviously know me as I have been name-checked a few times. For those that don’t, I’m the Programme Director for the Class 777s and work for the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority/Merseytravel.

I appreciate that this is a site primarily for enthusiasts but that there are plenty here that know the industry from the inside as well. I have followed the chat here since page 1 with a mixture of amazement, admiration, bewilderment and occasionally a good laugh. I have enjoyed reading it all: right, wrong, supportive, critical, insightful and occasionally just nuts.

I really don’t want to cramp anyone’s style so don’t intend to give a running commentary on what we’re doing. My intention in participating actively is to address any inaccuracies in what is being discussed (there is one that I’ll come to) and to answer any questions that you might have for me.

Skie

Hello everyone. I have just registered with the site and am here under my real name. Quite a few of you obviously know me as I have been name-checked a few times. For those that don’t, I’m the Programme Director for the Class 777s and work for the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority/Merseytravel.

I appreciate that this is a site primarily for enthusiasts but that there are plenty here that know the industry from the inside as well. I have followed the chat here since page 1 with a mixture of amazement, admiration, bewilderment and occasionally a good laugh. I have enjoyed reading it all: right, wrong, supportive, critical, insightful and occasionally just nuts.

I really don’t want to cramp anyone’s style so don’t intend to give a running commentary on what we’re doing. My intention in participating actively is to address any inaccuracies in what is being discussed (there is one that I’ll come to) and to answer any questions that you might have for me.
Welcome aboard (excuse the pun) David!

DJH1971

Established Member

Any more news on when they are likely to start entering service (everyone else is also asking) and have heard they will be introduced on the Kirkby line first. Is that right?

DavidPowell

The inaccuracy I wanted to address is the debate about battery powered traction. Sadly there has been some recent poor journalism, from publications which we should all be able to rely on, which has misrepresented what we’re actually doing.

The key message is that although we’re going to have the first IPEMUs in passenger service in the U.K., we’re not fitting the entire fleet with the IPEMU battery system. The original order was for 52 EMUs. We have exercised some of our options with Stadler and now have 53 units on order of which 7 will be IPEMUs.

DavidPowell

Any more news on when they are likely to start entering service (everyone else is also asking) and have heard they will be introduced on the Kirkby line first. Is that right?
Apologies to be rather coy but there’s news coming soon.

I’m fully aware that this is just about the only question being asked at the moment. It’ll be answered soon

Established Member

Hello David. It’s very nice to hear that you’ve taken the time to read through this very much unofficial conversation. Earlier in the fleet replacement programme I noted just how well you were able to answer all kinds of 777 related questions on Twitter.

I’m sure everyone would indeed be interested in a running commentary, especially at this stage with a 2022 introduction mooted. An irregularity I’ve noticed recently is that 777003 and 013 have been stabled in the wallside siding at Southport for a week or so as an 8 car, despite 8 cars not being able to fit in any of the platforms!

I also hope to draw your attention to the TfW Class 197 Civity DMU thread, where there seems to be an obsession with ordering more of these aforementioned Spanish Diesel units to replace the Class 230s on the Bidston - Wrexham line, whether or not they ever enter service, with almost no consideration for the popular proposal of more battery 777s and a through service to Liverpool round the loop.
The inaccuracy I wanted to address is the debate about battery powered traction. Sadly there has been some recent poor journalism, from publications which we should all be able to rely on, which has misrepresented what we’re actually doing.

The key message is that although we’re going to have the first IPEMUs in passenger service in the U.K., we’re not fitting the entire fleet with the IPEMU battery system. The original order was for 52 EMUs. We have exercised some of our options with Stadler and now have 53 units on order of which 7 will be IPEMUs.
We couldn’t possibly ask for anything more than the facts from an industry professional. So this is still the plan. 52 new 777s replace 59 old 507/508s, not all of which still exist and an additional unit ordered as part of the Headbolt Lane package, with 7 of the now 53 units carrying batteries.

I do believe the “all units will be battery fitted for the purposes of regenerative braking when running on the 3rd rail” actually came from the journalists at a certain newspaper, so that is quite poor. The level of efficiency required for such battery use to be viable seemed dubious to me.

Parjon

My intention in participating actively is to address any inaccuracies in what is being discussed (there is one that I’ll come to) and to answer any questions that you might have for me.
Hello David, I understand that 52 units were ordered to replace 57 old trains on the basis that faster journeys equates to fewer units needed.

How much of that speed enhancement necessary was contingent on the dispatch efficiency of DOO versus the better acceleration of the trains?

Also, is there any word on exercising more options to expand the network?

Established Member
Hello David, I understand that 52 units were ordered to replace 57 old trains on the basis that faster journeys equates to fewer units needed.

How much of that speed enhancement necessary was contingent on the dispatch efficiency of DOO versus the better acceleration of the trains?

Also, is there any word on exercising more options to expand the network?
777001-052 replace the 507/508 fleet of 59 units, of which 57 survived until 15 September 2021 when 507006 was taken for unplanned scrapping. I don’t know how many there are now because I can’t remember how many 508s have been scrapped since then. Wasn’t one split up and sent for “life extension assessment?”