• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrocar updates and withdrawals - Tyne & Wear Metro

Trestrol

Not sure you are allowed to carry passengers during acceptance tests. Nexus will not have accepted them as fit for service until a certain amount of test hours have been completed. They have to check the interface with the signalling system, communication systems and how the new and old fleet operate together. They have to test to make sure they fit the loading guage. I believe there is one metro that isn't in gauge! They discovered problems on Merseyrail when the new and old fleet operated to together. These still belong to Stadler until signed off. Would you fly in an untested aeroplane?
Thought not!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DustyBin

Established Member
There are people being left on platforms again this morning, it seems to be the norm these days. Not so bad if there’s another train a few minutes behind, but when there’s a 15-20 minute gap I can imagine it wearing thin very quickly!

It’s such a shame as Metro (when fully functioning) is a fantastic system, and something we’re very lucky to have IMO.

Snex

There are people being left on platforms again this morning, it seems to be the norm these days. Not so bad if there’s another train a few minutes behind, but when there’s a 15-20 minute gap I can imagine it wearing thin very quickly!

It’s such a shame as Metro (when fully functioning) is a fantastic system, and something we’re very lucky to have IMO.

I'm not sure which station you're at, but I could imagine today it's caused by there being no bus service in the whole of Gateshead and large chunks of South Tyneside, Durham and Sunderland because of the GoNorthEast strikes.

hacman

Not sure you are allowed to carry passengers during acceptance tests. Nexus will not have accepted them as fit for service until a certain amount of test hours have been completed. They have to check the interface with the signalling system, communication systems and how the new and old fleet operate together. They have to test to make sure they fit the loading guage. I believe there is one metro that isn't in gauge! They discovered problems on Merseyrail when the new and old fleet operated to together. These still belong to Stadler until signed off. Would you fly in an untested aeroplane?
Thought not!

You can't carry passengers until testing is complete, and both the type and the individual unit are accepted into service. Type acceptance involves getting approval from the ORR.

Individual unit acceptance is based on the contractual performance benchmarks agreed between Nexus and Stadler, above and beyond what is required to comply with the acceptance criteria the ORR have set. Even if this were not the case, the unit doesn't actually belong to Nexus until they accept it and formally take delivery.

I very much doubt that one of the units is not within gauge. This stuff is all checked in the factory as each unit is produced and they are manufactured on jigs, so for a single example of a class to have such an issue would be highly unusual. Loading gauge testing is now more or less complete from what I gather, with the units now having reached every extent of the network.

DustyBin

Established Member
I'm not sure which station you're at, but I could imagine today it's caused by there being no bus service in the whole of Gateshead and large chunks of South Tyneside, Durham and Sunderland because of the GoNorthEast strikes.

This was on the coast Loop.

It's a regular issue at West Jesmond apparently, however as it's along the central core the service is more regular, so at least people shouldn't have to wait too long for the next train.

Trestrol

I very much doubt that one of the units is not within gauge. This stuff is all checked in the factory as each unit is produced and they are manufactured on jigs, so for a single example of a class to have such an issue would be highly unusual. Loading gauge testing is now more or less complete from what I gather, with the units now having reached every extent of the network.
No there is definitely, so I'm to told, one of the old fleet fouls a platform on a curve. It's slightly out of guage.Could be on the Manors-Jesmond empty stock curve can't remember exactly at the moment.

hacman

No there is definitely, so I'm to told, one of the old fleet fouls a platform on a curve. It's slightly out of guage.Could be on the Manors-Jesmond empty stock curve can't remember exactly at the moment.

I think someone may be pulling your leg with this one - if this was the case it would have been corrected somehow during the 40+ years of operation, rather than just letting it strike a platform repeatedly!

Maninblack

Thought not!
Yeah, good point. I'm just very frustrated at the current state of the system.

It appears that my frustrations have resulted in a few replies.
all accepted with much respect to you all.

Last edited:

Snex

This was on the coast Loop.

It's a regular issue at West Jesmond apparently, however as it's along the central core the service is more regular, so at least people shouldn't have to wait too long for the next train.

Yeah fair, not too surprised, if I had to be honest. The 8:15'ish peak time service used to be a squash load around 10 year ago (don't commute to Newcastle anymore) at Northumberland Park, so I wouldn't want to know what the trains are like around that time nowadays, without it running at all.

DustyBin

Established Member
Yeah fair, not too surprised, if I had to be honest. The 8:15'ish peak time service used to be a squash load around 10 year ago (don't commute to Newcastle anymore) at Northumberland Park, so I wouldn't want to know what the trains are like around that time nowadays, without it running at all.

I’m fortunate in that I don’t commute either; having to get to Central Station two or three times a month is quite enough!

I’ve noticed people getting quite vocal about the situation of late. It’s a PR disaster, but I suppose it is what it is at this point unfortunately.

ModernRailways

Established Member
This is totally false.

DanNCL

Established Member
Apologies for the recent lack of updates to the opening post. There have been a few changes in recent weeks which I’ll update the opening post to reflect during the day.

4002 for scrap from Gosforth to Howdon tomorrow morning so I hear. Unsure of how true this is so if anybody can get any extra info that would be great
As with 4055 and 4062 there’ll be a final component recovery process at Howdon before removal by road for scrap.
Units have to be in a condition fit to be dragged to Howdon which limits how much component recovery can be done at Gosforth. Once it gets to Howdon they can take whatever they need from it as from that point it no longer needs to be fit to move by rail.

None of the Metrocars nor 555s are out of gauge for any part of the network, however some of the maintenance wagons are out of gauge for the Manors stock line, could this be what you’re thinking of?

ModernRailways

Established Member
Metro say that there has to be 90,000 seperate tests on the new trains. So why don't they test them while in service?
They can't be tested in passenger service because if there is a fault that could be dangerous then ultimately you're playing with the public's lives.
The testing process is quite rigorous as this is the first of it's class. Once the first unit is signed off, then the speed of delivery and acceptance will be quicker. It's still not quick, but it won't take anywhere near the same amount of time as this first unit has.

I'm afraid though if you think it's bad now it's certainly not going to get any better. I no longer work for Metro, but the units are in a right state, it's a real shame the system is so mismanaged as it could really be a thriving network with the right people in place and the right desire but alas. Hopefully this winter is mild and it doesn't just kill the fleet off.

Volvictof

This is totally false.
There is a small morsel of truth to this. I believe it was Whitley bay that had a repair don’t to the platform that caused driving cab doors to strike the platform edge if they were open or not properly sealed. Eventually the platform was altered but you can still see a lot of driving cab doors have damage to the bottom of them.

Class91Joe

Apologies for the recent lack of updates to the opening post. There have been a few changes in recent weeks which I’ll update the opening post to reflect during the day.

As with 4055 and 4062 there’ll be a final component recovery process at Howdon before removal by road for scrap.
Units have to be in a condition fit to be dragged to Howdon which limits how much component recovery can be done at Gosforth. Once it gets to Howdon they can take whatever they need from it as from that point it no longer needs to be fit to move by rail.

None of the Metrocars nor 555s are out of gauge for any part of the network, however some of the maintenance wagons are out of gauge for the Manors stock line, could this be what you’re thinking of?
4002 on its way with 4004 and 4054 sandwiching it. There is a low loader waiting at Howdon so straight for scrap it seems!

Paul_10

Interesting formation, Im assuming it's been done via 2 metrocars as the battery locos are unavailable because of the time of year?

Also I noticed in the videos, the height of 4002 is notably lower than the other 2 metrocars, do they change the wheelsets or other stuff below the solebar before scrap or are the prototypes slightly lower in height to begin with?

Just another 86 metrocars to go now.

Maninblack

They can't be tested in passenger service because if there is a fault that could be dangerous then ultimately you're playing with the public's lives.
The testing process is quite rigorous as this is the first of it's class. Once the first unit is signed off, then the speed of delivery and acceptance will be quicker. It's still not quick, but it won't take anywhere near the same amount of time as this first unit has.

I'm afraid though if you think it's bad now it's certainly not going to get any better. I no longer work for Metro, but the units are in a right state, it's a real shame the system is so mismanaged as it could really be a thriving network with the right people in place and the right desire but alas. Hopefully this winter is mild and it doesn't just kill the fleet off.
Is this what we're waiting for? The first train to be signed off and then the rest of the delivery to commence. I'm just an impatiant old git!! Ha ha.
I really cannot wait for the new trains though.

Class91Joe

No try because only one loco works and that's poorly. Awaiting overhaul apparently.
4040 next?
4083 to follow on Thursday

Interesting formation, Im assuming it's been done via 2 metrocars as the battery locos are unavailable because of the time of year?

Also I noticed in the videos, the height of 4002 is notably lower than the other 2 metrocars, do they change the wheelsets or other stuff below the solebar before scrap or are the prototypes slightly lower in height to begin with?

Just another 86 metrocars to go now.
No air in the suspension so that's why it was slightly lower down than the others

DanNCL

Established Member
I've updated the list in the opening post however it may already be outdated as some of the info was received a few weeks ago, I simply haven't had the opportunity before now to update it.

Somewhere near Bishop Auckland I was informed by the haulage team, pretty sure most of the others will also be scrapped there
There's several scrapyards in that area. Does anyone know which one it was?

bramling

Veteran Member
4002 is off for scrap

Quite saddening to see this, even if 4002 has had a rather sporadic existence for many years. I am glad I had the opportunity to ride on it last year.

What is perhaps unfortunate is that as of last spring it was in a pretty decent condition internally, so would have made a good candidate for preservation.

At least 4001 looks to have a future.

The party is well and truly drawing to a close now.

Class91Joe

Quite saddening to see this, even if 4002 has had a rather sporadic existence for many years. I am glad I had the opportunity to ride on it last year.

What is perhaps unfortunate is that as of last spring it was in a pretty decent condition internally, so would have made a good candidate for preservation.

At least 4001 looks to have a future.

The party is well and truly drawing to a close now.
384203000_10161091059303834_6832516310130027893_n.jpg

The interior was still in very good condition surprisingly (pic from Steve King). A shame as many people have said, but the undercarriage was gutted of parts and a few things were removed at Howdon including the A-end cab door! I was told the aim was to get as many spare parts as possible from 02 as they will be used to put 01 back together (of a sort anyway).

I've updated the list in the opening post however it may already be outdated as some of the info was received a few weeks ago, I simply haven't had the opportunity before now to update it.

There's several scrapyards in that area. Does anyone know which one it was?
Some info regarding when 4002 last ran in public service, (this may be useful to Dan especially) to my records it last ran at the very beginning of August 2022. I seem to recall having 02 on T121 into St James then it worked back to Longbenton where it got withdrawn about 13:30pm. It came back out later that day to work a peak time service and as far as I'm aware, it was game over after that!

Last edited:

Trestrol

There Was very little wrong with 4002 only really needing a pantograph. It was powered up after removal from the avoiding road. It did have worn wheels though.