• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrocar updates and withdrawals - Tyne & Wear Metro

Tramfan

RTT wouldn't show unplanned trains, but they are visible on Open Train Times (OTT) live maps, and only 125 was diverted to Sunderland pre-concert. 107 also ran an extra trip to Sunderland instead of coming out of service in the evening, and 164 also appeared which wasn't showing as a planned train in RTT.

Post-concert there were 9 additional trains (171-177, 181, 182) some of which ran 2 journeys to and from Sunderland, and the Metro Twitter page was posting that crowds were cleared well in advance of the last train... no yellow line trains were seen on OTT post concert

I guess pre-concert will have been affected by the peaks not running which would normally be able to at least pick up people travelling in the central corridor

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
RTT wouldn't show unplanned trains, but they are visible on Open Train Times (OTT) live maps, and only 125 was diverted to Sunderland pre-concert. 107 also ran an extra trip to Sunderland instead of coming out of service in the evening, and 164 also appeared which wasn't showing as a planned train in RTT.

Post-concert there were 9 additional trains (171-177, 181, 182) some of which ran 2 journeys to and from Sunderland, and the Metro Twitter page was posting that crowds were cleared well in advance of the last train... no yellow line trains were seen on OTT post concert

I guess pre-concert will have been affected by the peaks not running which would normally be able to at least pick up people travelling in the central corridor

I don’t think it was T125 which caused the long gap round the coast, as this gap was a half an hour or more before T125. It seemed to be a gap of 40 minutes, then two trains within 10 minutes, then another gap of 30 minutes or so. The latter was probably caused by T125.

Paul_10

I think in fairness to metro, it would seem in general they've handle the event well and there does not seem to be much in the way of any significant delays.

Hopefully there be some videos around of 4055/62 heading away for scrap. Will start to sink in then that the end for the current fleet is approaching although It would not surprise me if some are still in traffic come 2026.

bramling

Veteran Member
I think in fairness to metro, it would seem in general they've handle the event well and there does not seem to be much in the way of any significant delays.

Depends how one defines well. Okay if one was heading to Stadium of Light perhaps, not so much if heading to a dinner engagement in Tynemouth (which I was, and was late for!).

Hopefully there be some videos around of 4055/62 heading away for scrap. Will start to sink in then that the end for the current fleet is approaching although It would not surprise me if some are still in traffic come 2026.

It is still hard to feel the current fleet as being on the way out, though the line of stored units on the avoiding line tells its own story. It is a shame the current fleet will go out on a bit of a low - made worse by vandalism causing trains to be withdrawn from service as well as defects.

Kris28

There is a massive test coming up on Saturday 10th June.....

Sam Fender - Newcastle

Pink - Sunderland

Almost all stations in Newcastle City centre are closing early(10pm) with shuttle buses running from Newcastle instead of trains.

TWM Fan

Was on 4082 today and had graffiti on it. Still in service but may be took out. It may be worth updating it's status to under attention

4048+4079 broke down today at pallion. And 4082 is stored at Howdon

Last edited:

Trestrol

Sam Fender - Newcastle

Pink - Sunderland

Almost all stations in Newcastle City centre are closing early(10pm) with shuttle buses running from Newcastle instead of trains.
One wonders who decided two concerts in on the same day was a good idea. Probably never consulted Nexus just expected them to cope.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
One wonders who decided two concerts in on the same day was a good idea. Probably never consulted Nexus just expected them to cope.
That's nothing compared to what Manchester managed to end up with last summer; four separate major concerts in one day... I don't think anyone consulted the transport operators then either...

I'd certainly agree that there should be a process whereby concert promotors have to consult each other and the transport providers to avoid clashes; aside from causing transport ( and hotel availability ) problems, some people might end up having to choose between one or the other who might have otherwise gone to both ( or more ).

Trestrol

That's nothing compared to what Manchester managed to end up with last summer; four separate major concerts in one day... I don't think anyone consulted the transport operators then either...

I'd certainly agree that there should be a process whereby concert promotors have to consult each other and the transport providers to avoid clashes; aside from causing transport ( and hotel availability ) problems, some people might end up having to choose between one or the other who might have otherwise gone to both ( or more ).
You're right, it was like companies bidding for rail franchises who promised all these improvements without talking to Network Rail first. Then Daft awarded them the contract and NR was told and was supposed to accommodate them. At least that has stopped now.

ModernRailways

Established Member

Sam Fender - Newcastle

Pink - Sunderland

Worth noting that Sunderland and Park Lane will also be closed.

It’s extremely bizarre how Nexus have chosen to deal with this, especially considering solutions have been put forward and they’ve chosen buses as the alternative to move people. A mass transit system that can’t deal with two events going on at two different ends of the network.

It really wouldn’t be difficult at all for them to make it work, the main issue is staffing.
It’s a wonder how they can get through the weekends when Newcastle are at home or is this is a sign of things to come, and they’re just gonna say close all the city centre stations when the going gets tough and we have crowds?

You're right, it was like companies bidding for rail franchises who promised all these improvements without talking to Network Rail first. Then Daft awarded them the contract and NR was told and was supposed to accommodate them. At least that has stopped now.
They have to go through the police, and the police will consider transportation based on previous events. This time Nexus is just saying they can’t be bothered.

MetroCar4058

I imagine this must come down to a lack of staff and rolling stock?

Really this should be quite a simple exercise of additional trains running mainly between Pelaw/Park Lane - Regent Centre/Benton, but if a core service can barely be put on, can they be expected to cope?

Even then, surely with a theoretical capacity of 5,000pax ph in each direction from 8tph through the core surely they could have got by, or at least for those willing to wait if they had the staff for crowd control.

This could have been a money spinner for Nexus and some good publicity if it went well. Assuming they didn’t offer the GNR overtime offer to staff for this one…

ModernRailways

Established Member
I imagine this must come down to a lack of staff and rolling stock?

Really this should be quite a simple exercise of additional trains running mainly between Pelaw/Park Lane - Regent Centre/Benton, but if a core service can barely be put on, can they be expected to cope?

Even then, surely with a theoretical capacity of 5,000pax ph in each direction from 8tph through the core surely they could have got by, or at least for those willing to wait if they had the staff for crowd control.

This could have been a money spinner for Nexus and some good publicity if it went well. Assuming they didn’t offer the GNR overtime offer to staff for this one…
Rolling stock isn’t an issue for it, as you say, just 8tph can shift a mass volume of people. It’s all very bizarre, they’ve put buses on to replace metro from the city centre so people can get to the metro for connections, buses simply don’t have the same capacity and I’d love to know where all the bus drivers and buses are going to appear from

MetroCar4058

Struggling to keep up where we are talking about different things with us being spread out over a few threads!

just seen this in the Nexus website for tomorrow:

”For Sam Fender fans (after the concert), if you’re travelling to Gateshead, South Tyneside or Sunderland, please use Gateshead Interchange. It is a short walk from Newcastle city centre, or you can catch Bus SF3 from Market Street (stop number 08nc68) to the interchange. From there you can travel on a metro to South Shields or South Hylton.”

This makes absolutely no sense at all, why would you try to funnel people onto a low capacity service to reach a high capacity one when the city centre will be gridlocked and the services you're asking them to go for will be passing underneath them!

This is all very very strange.

Paul_10

Struggling to keep up where we are talking about different things with us being spread out over a few threads!

just seen this in the Nexus website for tomorrow:

”For Sam Fender fans (after the concert), if you’re travelling to Gateshead, South Tyneside or Sunderland, please use Gateshead Interchange. It is a short walk from Newcastle city centre, or you can catch Bus SF3 from Market Street (stop number 08nc68) to the interchange. From there you can travel on a metro to South Shields or South Hylton.”

This makes absolutely no sense at all, why would you try to funnel people onto a low capacity service to reach a high capacity one when the city centre will be gridlocked and the services you're asking them to go for will be passing underneath them!

This is all very very strange.
Lack of staffing is clearly the reason, trying to make the best of an unprecedented situation. Whilst I would not say it's a short walk, it's a doable walk for the vast majority and probably will be quicker especially if there is going to be heavy traffic around.

Keeping it more on topic, any news about 4001 in particular leaving for it's new home?

Tramfan

4003, 4042 and 4084 were all in service today

4012 also back in service

Last edited:

Trestrol

Lack of staffing is clearly the reason, trying to make the best of an unprecedented situation. Whilst I would not say it's a short walk, it's a doable walk for the vast majority and probably will be quicker especially if there is going to be heavy traffic around.

Keeping it more on topic, any news about 4001 in particular leaving for it's new home?
That would make sense as it wouldn't overload Monument. As St James was closed it is sensible to send people to Monument where you can spread them out on three platforms.

DanNCL

Established Member
I made a visit to Cheswick Drive a few days ago to see what, if anything, had changed recently. The lineup on the avoiding line is unchanged, from east to west are 76, 60, 10 and 01. 02 remains at depot east end.
The most heavily stripped of the withdrawn units on the avoiding line appears to be 4010. It's missing many door buttons, has interior panels stacked inside and is on bogies that appear to be missing electromagnetic track brakes, possibly accommodation bogies?
4060 appears to be externally complete. The remaining units on the avoiding line are in various states of disrepair and are visibly missing components.

The cabs from 4022 have moved from their previous location next to the avoiding line, presumably to allow demolition of the old depot to continue. I'm not sure where they've moved to.

4003, 4042 and 4084 were all in service today

4012 also back in service
List updated, thanks.

Nothing yet. It remains on the avoiding line at Gosforth, in an increasingly poor condition. It's still missing at least one window and some door buttons.

Paul_10

I made a visit to Cheswick Drive a few days ago to see what, if anything, had changed recently. The lineup on the avoiding line is unchanged, from east to west are 76, 60, 10 and 01. 02 remains at depot east end.
The most heavily stripped of the withdrawn units on the avoiding line appears to be 4010. It's missing many door buttons, has interior panels stacked inside and is on bogies that appear to be missing electromagnetic track brakes, possibly accommodation bogies?
4060 appears to be externally complete. The remaining units on the avoiding line are in various states of disrepair and are visibly missing components.

The cabs from 4022 have moved from their previous location next to the avoiding line, presumably to allow demolition of the old depot to continue. I'm not sure where they've moved to.

List updated, thanks.

Nothing yet. It remains on the avoiding line at Gosforth, in an increasingly poor condition. It's still missing at least one window and some door buttons.

I wonder what the thinking was moving it from it's fairly secure spot out of harms way to an area where other units have been vandalised. If the fact it did not had windows fitted back in, I would say it's heading for scrap and i would not be surprised if it does, nexus would have to remove the graffiti and I'll be surprised if the museum(?) will accept the condition of the exterior with all the tape that was used for the windows in anycase.

DanNCL

Established Member
I wonder what the thinking was moving it from it's fairly secure spot out of harms way to an area where other units have been vandalised. If the fact it did not had windows fitted back in, I would say it's heading for scrap and i would not be surprised if it does, nexus would have to remove the graffiti and I'll be surprised if the museum(?) will accept the condition of the exterior with all the tape that was used for the windows in anycase.
Stadler manage the depot, it'll likely have been their decision to move it to the avoiding line and therefore on them to remove the graffiti. 4001 won't go for scrap, can't be so certain on 4002 though.

bramling

Veteran Member
Stadler manage the depot, it'll likely have been their decision to move it to the avoiding line and therefore on them to remove the graffiti. 4001 won't go for scrap, can't be so certain on 4002 though.

Semi-related question: what is the plan for the brick building which housed (amongst other things) the shunter’s panel for the depot? Is the depot still controlled from here or has that function moved as part of the depot rebuild?

DanNCL

Established Member
Semi-related question: what is the plan for the brick building which housed (amongst other things) the shunter’s panel for the depot? Is the depot still controlled from here or has that function moved as part of the depot rebuild?
There's a new shunters panel in the new depot. The building that housed the old one still stands currently but is disused and will be demolished shortly. It'll probably be the last part of the old depot to be demolished, a good indicator that demolition is imminent will be when the Metrocars on the avoiding line are all moved with nothing taking their place.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Likely not for a while yet, think the current timeline is early/mid 2024 for 01 to head off. Needs a bit of work doing to it before it can be displayed though.

Trestrol

Until the old depot is fully demolished then they are short of siding space. Hence using the avoiding line for storage as this remains unchanged in the new depot layout.

bramling

Veteran Member
There's a new shunters panel in the new depot.

Okay. Doing some digging around, the new control room appears to be on the first floor of the new shed building, at the west end overlooking the yard towards Regent Centre. Does that sound right?

The building that housed the old one still stands currently but is disused and will be demolished shortly. It'll probably be the last part of the old depot to be demolished, a good indicator that demolition is imminent will be when the Metrocars on the avoiding line are all moved with nothing taking their place.

A shame to see that building go, it features in quite a few old photos of the old depot.

Last edited:

Volvictof

Okay. Doing some digging around, the new control room appears to be on the first floor of the new shed building, at the west end overlooking the yard towards Regent Centre. Does that sound right?
Correct. The old panel is currently still in use hence why that part of the old depot is still standing. I believe it’s sometime this or next month when the transfer will happen but it will be a difficult job requiring a pretty extensive outstabling regime for a number of nights.

Dmacca65

Hi all, I travelled around on the system last Friday & Saturday and was hoping to see 4001, I believe that I saw it from a South Hylton-Airport service at South Gosforth Depot picture attached, can anyone confirm please?

Many thanks in advance.

Darrin20230610_132942.jpg

Volvictof

Hi all, I travelled around on the system last Friday & Saturday and was hoping to see 4001, I believe that I saw it from a South Hylton-Airport service at South Gosforth Depot picture attached, can anyone confirm please?

yep, that’s her.