• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrocar updates and withdrawals - Tyne & Wear Metro

CallumBarton

4083 is out in passenger service today. I was under the impression that the unrefurbished units couldn't be used in passenger service due to the accessability requirments?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
4083 is out in passenger service today. I was under the impression that the unrefurbished units couldn't be used in passenger service due to the accessability requirments?
They were modified in 2019 to bring them up to the same level of compliance as the refurbished units. They still can't be used in service with the refurbished units, and with both 01 and 02 now withdrawn that effectively means 40 and 83 can only work with the other.

kez19

Established Member
Not sure if it’s right to ask, but do the Metro have 2 voiceovers on them?

I’m no expert on carriage numbers (sorry), but heard on one a female voiceover state the stops only and the other one is a male that states stops but also mentions about beware of level crossings.

DanNCL

Established Member
Not sure if it’s right to ask, but do the Metro have 2 voiceovers on them?

I’m no expert on carriage numbers (sorry), but heard on one a female voiceover state the stops only and the other one is a male that states stops but also mentions about beware of level crossings.
Most have the male voiceover you mention. Two (4073 and 4081) retain an older female voiceover that was previously used on the full fleet. The leading Metrocar controls the announcements in both units, which means any Metrocar will place the female voiceover if being led by 4073 or 4081, and 4073 and 4081 will play the male voiceover if being led by another Metrocar. If 4073 and 4081 are working together, the female voiceover will play in both directions, likewise any formation not including 4073 or 4081 will play the male voiceover in both directions.
If you heard the female voiceover your train will have been led by either 4073 or 4081.

The incoming Stadler fleet has new announcements voiced by the same person as the male voiceover on the current fleet.

kez19

Established Member
Most have the male voiceover you mention. Two (4073 and 4081) retain an older female voiceover that was previously used on the full fleet. The leading Metrocar controls the announcements in both units, which means any Metrocar will place the female voiceover if being led by 4073 or 4081, and 4073 and 4081 will play the male voiceover if being led by another Metrocar. If 4073 and 4081 are working together, the female voiceover will play in both directions, likewise any formation not including 4073 or 4081 will play the male voiceover in both directions.
If you heard the female voiceover your train will have been led by either 4073 or 4081.

The incoming Stadler fleet has new announcements voiced by the same person as the male voiceover on the current fleet.

I always thought it was my imagination that I heard two at one point at least this proves it lol.

When I have used the Metro over the years visiting I am familiar with the male voice than the female (I originally thought the female voice was slowed down ie male voice but altered).

Tramfan

For a few years they were only to be allocated to limited mileage diagrams, such as the peak and football additionals, but they have recently been used as part of the regular fleet again

DanNCL

Established Member
For a few years they were only to be allocated to limited mileage diagrams, such as the peak and football additionals, but they have recently been used as part of the regular fleet again
There’s never been any restriction against them working regular diagrams, rather it’s been policy to keep them on the peak shorts where possible but that stopped them from venturing onto main diagrams on occasion. The fleet situation is so dire now that there isn’t any choice but to use them as part of the regular fleet, and reportedly they’re currently amongst the better performing Metrocars.

Tramfan

They did often end up on core diagrams once in service due to faults, but they were only supposed to be allocated at the start of the day to peak diagrams

Volvictof

First units gone onto a low loader at Howdon depot today. Can’t see which number it is, maybe some one here knows.

Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member
Any idea on the timeframe of when it leaves, if it hasn’t already?
Reported on Facebook to be expected to leave within the next hour. Still not clear which scrapyard it’s heading to.

Reported elsewhere that the destination for 4055 is expected to be EMR at Tyne Dock but awaiting confirmation.

Update: 55 has left Howdon, destination is EMR Tyne Dock. 62 is expected to follow tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited:

Paul_10

4055's departure has caused a bit of discussion on the Sort out the metro Facebook page I have noticed. Obviously as noted, the unit has not been in passenger service for a few years and has been used as a driver training role. It does beg the question though, why was 4055/62 moved from the driver training role and onto the first units being scrapped only for 2 other units(4041/47) to take there place therefore reducing fleet availability? I'm sure there will be valid reasons but it says it all how so far there is no publicity on the first unit leaving the system for good and twisting it as the beginning of the end for the old and the start for the new.

Volvictof

4055's departure has caused a bit of discussion on the Sort out the metro Facebook page I have noticed. Obviously as noted, the unit has not been in passenger service for a few years and has been used as a driver training role. It does beg the question though, why was 4055/62 moved from the driver training role and onto the first units being scrapped only for 2 other units(4041/47) to take there place therefore reducing fleet availability? I'm sure there will be valid reasons but it says it all how so far there is no publicity on the first unit leaving the system for good and twisting it as the beginning of the end for the old and the start for the new.
If I remember rightly, those units were basically knackered, barely ever worked. Not good enough for driver training even, and training has to fit a tight schedule, so a train not being available for certain lessons can cause huge issues, so in the end they’ve had to go.

18nufc98

55/62 were knackered beyond repair (even for training) 41/47 aren’t fit for passenger service either that’s why they are being used for training. Not allowed to leave the learning centre under their own power as far as I’m aware. There’s definitely nothing lost to service by them being scrapped. All salvageable parts have been taken off them.

DanNCL

Established Member
Can confirm that both 55 and 62 have arrived at EMR's Tyne Dock site. There's conflicting reports as to the contract(s) in place for scrapping the Metrocars, I've seen some reports that all of them will be going to EMR at Tyne Dock and others suggesting that it's split between EMR Tyne Dock and CF Booth in Rotherham. Is anyone able to confirm which if either of these is correct?

13 was the unit damaged in today's level crossing accident at Callerton.

There are not enough working units to run the service at present. 3 or 4 diagrams have been cut today because of fleet issues, and one of the training trips was covered by the tamper.

Reported elsewhere that Beamish have been successful in obtaining a Metrocar and that the unit earmarked for them is 20. An appropriate pick for Beamish as 20 is the Metrocar that carried Queen Elizabeth on Metro's official opening and Beamish seem to like all things royal.

I noticed as I passed on the Yellow Line today that more units have joined 02 at the east end of Gosforth depot, both more Metrocars and one of the 555s. I'll try to get the identity of these units, I'm guessing it's the units that were on the avoiding line but I don't want to mark them as such in the opening post until I'm certain.

There was no reasonable prospect of 55 or 62 ever returning to service, and as they weren't even fit for training use there was no use left for them which meant they were taking up valuable stabling space that's needed for more 555s to arrive. The best thing to do was to strip 55 and 62 of all reusable parts and get rid of them which is what has happened.

55/62 were knackered beyond repair (even for training) 41/47 aren’t fit for passenger service either that’s why they are being used for training. Not allowed to leave the learning centre under their own power as far as I’m aware. There’s definitely nothing lost to service by them being scrapped. All salvageable parts have been taken off them.
Interesting to note this about 41 and 47. One has to wonder what the purpose of having units at South Shields that don't work is, I can't imagine there's that much static training that can be done on a kaput Metrocar?

bramling

Veteran Member
If I remember rightly, those units were basically knackered, barely ever worked. Not good enough for driver training even, and training has to fit a tight schedule, so a train not being available for certain lessons can cause huge issues, so in the end they’ve had to go.

Out of interest, what was actually wrong with 4055 & 4062 that they'd got into such a state?

The fleet transition is becoming pretty shambolic when they now can't even seem to supply enough trains to run the core service, let alone the peak extras. They can't even really say that the new fleet is particularly late. I guess the issues with the Metrocar fleet will somehow be blamed on Covid...

18nufc98

sorry was a-bit vague about 41/47. They can move on there own power and physically work. Fine for training, Just not allowed to enter system unaccompanied as far as I’m aware. Could be wrong though.

Paul_10

Yep I seemed to recall a post on the metro photography page from one of the metro staff that 55/62 were particularly unreliable hence moving into the training role. all that said, given the current situation and seeing repetitive tweets of trains being withdrawn due to faults, It would seem they are all virtually as unreliable as one another I would imagine.

Out of interest, what was actually wrong with 4055 & 4062 that they'd got into such a state?

The fleet transition is becoming pretty shambolic when they now can't even seem to supply enough trains to run the core service, let alone the peak extras. They can't even really say that the new fleet is particularly late. I guess the issues with the Metrocar fleet will somehow be blamed on Covid...

I still think DB Regio's decision to save money on the metrocar refurbishment by only refurbishing the 'A' cabs and virtually have the rule only 'A' cabs can be used in passenger service is a factor, I mean using the same buttons and levers etc constantly can't help and it certainly does not help with flexibility. In the "good ol' days" if one cab developed a fault but the other is fine and still serviceable, it would get swopped around and attached back to the same metrocar it was paired with and problem(temporarily) solved.

I also believe traction wise nothing below the solebar was touched during the refurbishment process. I assume traction equipment may get replaced at Gosforth during D exams but it could be a factor.

Anyways the bottom line is, the fleet should of been replaced 10 years ago and not refurbished again. It is deeply concerning we are in the summer season and fleet availability is dire, I dread to think what this winter will bring. Will be shocked if it brings a brand new metrocar into service!

jkkne

Stadler have released a statement through Nexus apologising for the absolutely woeful service of the last few days.

Lovely to see Nexus have found a new scapegoat, it’s the one thing they’re good at

ModernRailways

Established Member
Stadler have released a statement through Nexus apologising for the absolutely woeful service of the last few days.

Lovely to see Nexus have found a new scapegoat, it’s the one thing they’re good at
Just like our good old DB Regio days. Nothing was Nexus' fault, it was all DBs. They've now found they can do the same with Stadler, it gives Stadler a bad rep and makes it look like it's their fault and Nexus play no role.

On the other side we are really struggling. I believe I've said this before (possibly not expecting it so soon) but it wouldn't surprise me if we see an emergency timetable needing to be introduced to reduce the number of trains required for service. A Sunday service (every 15 minutes, 7 minutes through core) during the week (with earlier first trains as at present), with Sundays seeing a further reduction to a 20 minute service (10 minutes through core).

The new depot, whilst it has outstanding facilities, really isn't helping with the maintenance requirements of the current fleet, but again that was a Nexus issue likely to be branded as a Stadler issue.

Paul_10

I noticed as I passed on the Yellow Line today that more units have joined 02 at the east end of Gosforth depot, both more Metrocars and one of the 555s. I'll try to get the identity of these units, I'm guessing it's the units that were on the avoiding line but I don't want to mark them as such in the opening post until I'm certain.

I wonder out of interest how this was done, obviously can't battery loco one at a time so was one of the units powered up again to drag the rest or was a battery loco used from 4001 to couple up to the rest of them to move them?

DustyBin

Established Member
I have a couple of quick questions regarding moving these units by road.

Are they split? If so, what happens with the central bogie, is something put in it’s place?

Thanks, and apologies if I’ve missed something elsewhere that answers these questions!