• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Middlesbrough railway station masterplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearhugger

Seen the following article on our local newspaper website.
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/...rough-railway-station-masterplan-new-14358462

A new masterplan has been revealed :: Artist impressions show a stunning new glass frontage onto Bridge Street West
A new platform, a “stunning glass frontage and concourse” and better facilities for passengers - this is the masterplan for Middlesbrough Railway Station.

Described as a “game changer” by town leaders, the concept will build upon £3m Network Rail repair work, set to be completed soon.

p:nth-of-type(2)","sizes":[[8,8]],"hideOnSensitiveArticle":true,"relativePos":"after","additionalClass":"in-article","name":"div-gpt-ad-vip-slot","type":"VIP"}" data-response-start="3668.0000000051223" data-type="gpt" data-requested="6181.799999991199" data-google-query-id="CNmvgvq1zdkCFVe6GwodagMFgA" data-timer-slot-rendered="11886.399999988498" data-rendered-width="8" data-rendered-height="8" data-response-end="16125.30000001425" data-viewable="true" style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255); border: 0px; font-size: 16px; margin-bottom: 24px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; overflow: hidden; z-index: 1; font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif; height: 8px; max-height: 8px;">

The masterplan – which offers short term proposals and a longer term vision – includes:

• The re-opening of the southern entrance.

• A stunning new glass frontage and concourse on Bridge Street .

• An additional platform.

• New commercial units.

• Additional passenger facilities and;

• Improved access for sustainable modes of transport such as buses, taxis, cars and cycles.

train.jpg

Plans for Middlesbrough Railway Station
All of the ongoing design work aims to protect, enhance and complement the station’s Victorian heritage, beauty and splendour - says a commission set up to look into the proposals.

The commission - led by Middlesbrough Council with support from Network Rail, Tees Valley Combined Authority and the rail franchisees – will provide a long-term vision for the rail station and the surrounding area.

The bold £68m plans to turn Middlesbrough into the 'city centre of Teesside'
As a result of the commission, Middlesbrough Council and Middlesbrough MP Andy McDonald are working alongside the rail industry in the form of a joint programme board to realise both the site’s ambition and strategic potential over the coming years.

It will build upon work which is shortly to be complete in the form of Network Rail’s station renewals project that will see the completion of a 13 month, £3m project to repair the roof and stonework of the main station building.

train.jpg

Plans for Middlesbrough Railway Station
Additionally, direct trains to London are due to begin from Middlesbrough in 2020.

Middlesbrough Mayor Dave Budd said: “Middlesbrough Railway Station is at the heart of our historic quarter and a central part of Middlesbrough Council’s investment plans to grow the local economy in line with our city scale ambitions.

“These proposals would make our iconic station even more attractive and also make better use of the space inside. Clearly, we are at an early stage, but it is wonderful to be able to make our ambitions public. The projects programme board will now begin action on how we can collaboratively work together to achieve this.”
Travelling by train from Middlesbrough? You can expect these new services

Mr McDonald said: “The Consultants BDP have done some stunning visionary work that not only sees the station restored to its 19th century splendour including the southern Zetland Road elevation and the improved usage of the concourse and booking hall - much as the architect originally intended when the station as first designed- but transformationally presents a 21 st century northern façade out onto Bridge Street that fits entirely with our European City aspirations and opens out into the emerging cityscape of Middlehaven.

“It’s an absolutely breathtakingly impressive proposal.

“What the entire proposal presents is a 21st century transport hub that is fit for purpose. This will be a game changer for Middlesbrough and the wider Tees Valley economy.”

I suspect the 'new' platform will be the re-opening of the bay platform at the Saltburn end of platform 2. The new retail units are suppossed to be opening under where the currently closed carpark is once the work to fix the age deteriated supports for the carpark is completed. As for the rest of the plans .......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
The artist's impression appears to show a new through platform on the freight line round the back of the station.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If they're going to the trouble of improving Middlesborough station, which includes excellent architecture, why don't they consider recreating the magnificent trainshed which was bombed in WWII !

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suspect the 'new' platform will be the re-opening of the bay platform at the Saltburn end of platform 2.
I doubt it. The only thing that would use it would be the Whitby services. It'll be a new through platform somewhere on the freight lines that currently go around the back of the station for my money.

This program, whilst the Gazette doesn't mention it, will also, hopefully, include some increased flexibility to the station layout, for example, so that trains can arrive from the Thornaby direction into platform one rather than being forced to use platform two.

It's also nice to see that they're finally planning on reopening the entrance onto the car park after however many years it's been shut! Adds a whole extra couple of minutes onto my morning commute not being able to go out that way :lol:

If they're going to the trouble of improving Middlesborough station, which includes excellent architecture, why don't they consider recreating the magnificent trainshed which was bombed in WWII !

It's a nice thought but I'd rather they focused spending money on things other than the aesthetics. It's got a canopy that keeps you nice and dry, it doesn't need an overall trainshed ;)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I doubt it. The only thing that would use it would be the Whitby services. It'll be a new through platform somewhere on the freight lines that currently go around the back of the station for my money.

This program, whilst the Gazette doesn't mention it, will also, hopefully, include some increased flexibility to the station layout, for example, so that trains can arrive from the Thornaby direction into platform one rather than being forced to use platform two.

It's also nice to see that they're finally planning on reopening the entrance onto the car park after however many years it's been shut! Adds a whole extra couple of minutes onto my morning commute not being able to go out that way :lol:

It's a nice thought but I'd rather they focused spending money on things other than the aesthetics. It's got a canopy that keeps you nice and dry, it doesn't need an overall trainshed ;)

Oh, all these new redevelopments are about aesthetics. Would the Kings Cross rebuild have been as successful if the new concourse had been a 1980's style concrete shopping centre with exactly the same facilities as the current station ?

I think not.

Perhaps with all the glitzy additions in the artists impression of the redeveloped station, a new train shed would be the smaller part of any investment!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh, all these new redevelopments are about aesthetics. Would the Kings Cross rebuild have been as successful if the new concourse had been a 1980's style concrete shopping centre with exactly the same facilities as the current station ?

Well no it wasn't just about aesthetics it was primarily around creating a space capable of coping with the number of passengers using the station! That the new concourse is an impressive piece of architecture is a nice side effect.

I'm not suggesting that we should be building concrete boxes everywhere but, sadly, traditional train sheds are rather out of favour and I see no reason to spend money on building one here when the money could be well spent on tangible improvements to the station facilities (such as that extra flexibility I mentioned in my original post).

Given the choice between a pretty roof and some extra point work surely the choice has to be the point work?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well no it wasn't just about aesthetics it was primarily around creating a space capable of coping with the number of passengers using the station! That the new concourse is an impressive piece of architecture is a nice side effect.

I'm not suggesting that we should be building concrete boxes everywhere but, sadly, traditional train sheds are rather out of favour and I see no reason to spend money on building one here when the money could be well spent on tangible improvements to the station facilities (such as that extra flexibility I mentioned in my original post).

Given the choice between a pretty roof and some extra point work surely the choice has to be the point work?

Ah, but do the pretty window portals I've seen on the artists impression constitute 'better pointwork' ?, or indeed, any inprovement operationslly. No. They represent a better passenger environment, which is just what a rebuilt train shed would be.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah, but do the pretty window portals I've seen on the artists impression constitute 'better pointwork' ?, or indeed, any inprovement operationslly. No. They represent a better passenger environment, which is just what a rebuilt train shed would be.

And I'm sure you can improve the passenger environment quite effectively and much more cheaply without building a massive train shed ;)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
And I'm sure you can improve the passenger environment quite effectively and much more cheaply without building a massive train shed ;)

Well, I don't know. You're still open to the elements.

Thinking about the platform environment at Middlesbrough today, having spent many times there waiting in the cold for the Whitby train, it strikes me that there's not a lot else that can be done currently (other than opening a real ale bar).

The train shed would help to keep people sheltered from the elements!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thinking about the platform environment at Middlesbrough today, having spent many times there waiting in the cold for the Whitby train, it strikes me that there's not a lot else that can be done currently (other than opening a real ale bar).

The concourse area is quite warm usually. It's fully enclosed and sheltered at least! Plus there's a waiting room on the platform two side which is also usually nice and warm.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The concourse area is quite warm usually. It's fully enclosed and sheltered at least! Plus there's a waiting room on the platform two side which is also usually nice and warm.

All very cosy, but it doesn't provide the cathedral atmosphere of a KX or StP.

Plus have you tried fitting an entire Whitby load in the platform 2 waiting room ?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well, it would do with the train shed !
Alternatively they could focus investment on upgrading the existing waiting facilities and providing new expanded facilities in the form of the new platform and other infrastructure rather than spending money on something that would be nice but is hardly necessary ;)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Alternatively they could focus investment on upgrading the existing waiting facilities and providing new expanded facilities in the form of the new platform and other infrastructure rather than spending money on something that would be nice but is hardly necessary ;)

Well, is that what all the improvements in the glossy brochure are ? The glass windows along the road level arches suggest something additional - which is good, it's just if you're spending a load of dosh on the lower level arches, why not spend some re-building the station into what it was always supposed to be !

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well, is that what all the improvements in the glossy brochure are ? The glass windows along the road level arches suggest something additional - which is good, it's just if you're spending a load of dosh on the lower level arches, why not spend some re-building the station into what it was always supposed to be !

Because we're not blessed with a limitless pot of cash? I'll be pleased if we get half of what's been proposed to be quite honest let alone more!

xotGD

Established Member
The only warm places at Middlesbrough station are WH Smiths and the toilets.

Marton

In your dreams. Every time I use it it’s like a freezer unit.

The p1 waiting room is equally overheated.

Marton

I doubt it. The only thing that would use it would be the Whitby services.

If the now removed realtraintimes data for May is true, and what I as told by EVRDC, most Whitby services will be from Darlington or Carlisle.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm usually in broad agreement with @yorksrob but big overall trainsheds do not offer all that much protection from the elements due to the height. Given the strong arctic winds common everywhere East of the Pennines, a high roof just lets all that sideways rain get blown in. Big trainsheds look nice but don't really keep the weather out all that well.

If Middlesbrough still had the old roof (even just the metalwork), any refurbishment would hopefully plan to restore it to former glories but building a new one would be a lot of money for not much benefit.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In your dreams. Every time I use it it’s like a freezer unit

Always seemed fine to me.

If the now removed realtraintimes data for May is true, and what I as told by EVRDC, most Whitby services will be from Darlington or Carlisle.

Hmm yes that's a good point actually. Already on Sundays everything comes from or goes to Darlington/Metrocentre apart from the last train of the day (which would then need to go ECS so would need a through platform anyway). There's no way there going to put in a Saltburn facing bay. It's going to be another through platform.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Because we're not blessed with a limitless pot of cash? I'll be pleased if we get half of what's been proposed to be quite honest let alone more!

So would I. I'd just rather have a train shed for that money, in keeping with the architecture of the building, than spend money on a lot of pretty windows at road level.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So would I. I'd just rather have a train shed for that money, in keeping with the architecture of the building, than spend money on a lot of pretty windows at road level.

I can't help but feel that the cost of pretty windows does not equal the cost of a full size train shed. Particularly as I suspect some significant enabling work is going to have to be done for the extra platform over that way by which point pretty windows are not going to be a significant part of the overall project cost. Meanwhile a train shed would also require significant enabling works whilst not actually adding anything functional to the station.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I can't help but feel that the cost of pretty windows does not equal the cost of a full size train shed. Particularly as I suspect some significant enabling work is going to have to be done for the extra platform over that way by which point pretty windows are not going to be a significant part of the overall project cost. Meanwhile a train shed would also require significant enabling works whilst not actually adding anything functional to the station.

The current proposals seem to involve building a massive roof over Bridge Street. Why not build one over the platforms for when we're waiting for a train.

70014IronDuke

Established Member

Oh wow! If those are all stations stoppers, is that going to create some new record for 'single journies that stop at most stations' thread?
Nice for gricers going for quirky journies, but it's going to make a mess of timetables when we have a points failure at Battersby :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Oh wow! If those are all stations stoppers, is that going to create some new record for 'single journies that stop at most stations' thread?
Nice for gricers going for quirky journies, but it's going to make a mess of timetables when we have a points failure at Battersby :)

I think some did look like to be stopping at most of the stations (Blaydon & Dunston were the two some missed)

Marton

There was also a Carlisle to Danby service in the May timetable. Strange.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There was also a Carlisle to Danby service in the May timetable. Strange.

Yes it was somewhat odd. I'm lead to believe that rather than have a unit shuffle around Nunthorpe to avoid a freight path during the units down time they decided to just run it in service as far down the branch as they could get. Increases the service to at least some stations on the branch at no real extra cost.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It will be an interesting service for enthusiasts no doubt, but alas it will do little for visitors to Whitby.

Its a shame that they can't just have two diagrams beginning at Whitby and Darlington, 'passing' at Battersby throughout the day. At a stroke, you could double the number of services to Whitby in the day and alleviate the issue of trying to shuffle terminating trains around Middlesborough.

I also fear that having services from Carlisle might make Whitby somewhat of a hostage to fortune with regards to issues elsewhere on the Network.

Anyway, off topic I know. Slap on the wrist etc....

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It will be an interesting service for enthusiasts no doubt, but alas it will do little for visitors to Whitby.

Its a shame that they can't just have two diagrams beginning at Whitby and Darlington, 'passing' at Battersby throughout the day. At a stroke, you could double the number of services to Whitby in the day and alleviate the issue of trying to shuffle terminating trains around Middlesborough.
That would require more units and crew. This plan at least makes use of otherwise dead time. I agree thought it would be good for Whitby to have a better service. Two hourly throughout the day would be amazing. But any improvement on the branch is surely a good thing even if it isn't as good as we'd like to see? Small steps!

Status
Not open for further replies.