• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Minor things on trains which irritate you

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
The aim of this thread is a bit like the one in the General Discussion section, but for trains specifically. Any irritating feature is welcome!

I'll start off with the classic "some incompetent at the depot ordered the wrong colour temperature florescent tubes, but they're using them anyway". As illustrated by Coach D in 220004:
IMG_20220127_175358269.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I notice that too, shows a lack of attention to detail.

With Voyagers there is a similar issue of replacement windows being fitted the wrong way round, meaning when you look at the unit they look inconsistent, I believe.

rower40

The dreadful slower-than-50Hz flicker on the IET passenger displays. If you look at the left-side of the display, the right side (in your peripheral vision) is flickering - and if you look at the right, then the left side begins flickering. Most displays flicker a bit (the letters seem to jump if you, for instance, bite your jaws shut while looking at them) but these ones are slower than most.

If it were fed off the mains, there might be an excuse.

Someone with photo-sensitive epilepsy should put in an official complaint.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The sudden loud crash sound that goes off every five minutes or so under the pantograph of 2nd generation Electrostars.

fgwrich

Established Member
Interior doors that randomly (and sometimes continuously) open and shut by themselves.

I don't know why, but I find this somewhat amusing. The Voyagers are noticeable when running around a curve - it's almost like a person trying not to nod off, while the interior doors on the Turbo's are just rubbish and frequently do this.

The dreadful slower-than-50Hz flicker on the IET passenger displays. If you look at the left-side of the display, the right side (in your peripheral vision) is flickering - and if you look at the right, then the left side begins flickering. Most displays flicker a bit (the letters seem to jump if you, for instance, bite your jaws shut while looking at them) but these ones are slower than most.

If it were fed off the mains, there might be an excuse.

Someone with photo-sensitive epilepsy should put in an official complaint.

Another IET related feature. The airbag boom and bang of the doors when they travel below and above 5 mph.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Units on long distance services with hardly any space for even the smallest-sized luggage to be placed overhead.

CBlue

Squeaky gangways, especially on MK3/Mk4 stock.

Those crap fixed plastic armrests Greater Anglia used to have fitted to the seats on their loco hauled stock between Norwich and London

D821

Knackered PA systems that blast loud bursts of static instead of the audio they are meant to be conveying.

ABB125

Established Member
I don't know why, but I find this somewhat amusing. The Voyagers are noticeable when running around a curve - it's almost like a person trying not to nod off
Having spent rather a lot of hours in voyagers this week, this seems a very apt description - tiny jerks backwards and forwards, which seemingly have no cause!

L401CJF

Established Member
Hopper windows that refuse to remain closed when you ask them nicely (and even when you ask them forcefully!!)

toffeedanish

White or cream coloured plastic seat backs. On dull days or at twilight you can see far less out of the windows due their reflection. Grey or other darker colours give a better view.

That said, my real annoyance is harsh lighting. I would be all for low, relaxing lighting as per coaches, or trains in other countries, which would also give a much better view out of the window, including at night. I do understand why others would prefer carriages to be brightly lit.

Also, random ripple-y effect windows. Looking through these gives me a headache and so my choice of seats is limited. Class 333s are a particular nuisance.

DanNCL

Established Member
The sudden loud crash sound that goes off every five minutes or so under the pantograph of 2nd generation Electrostars.
Not just Electrostars that do that - Desiros, 331s, 397s and 80xs all do it too. It makes a lot of people jump if they’re not used to it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Silly small luggage racks which I can't fit my bag in.

Having more seating facing in one direction than the other in a carriage.

greyman42

Established Member
I don't know if you would class it as minor; the air conditioning at the bottom of the windows on the mark 5 coaches. All it does is cause an unpleasant cold draught.

LowLevel

Established Member
Class 170 cabs. Nowhere to put your bags without them either being a trip hazard, falling off the desk or having to turn the heaters off so you don't get your sandwiches cooked by the floor heaters.

For a large cab there's a total lack of space for anything.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Refurbished BR-era stock which goes "SCREECH! SCREECH! SCREECH! SCREECH! SCREECH!" whenever the doors are released (example attached)

PS. Example not actually attached as a file as it occurred to me a youtube video might be more convenient

Richard Scott

Established Member
Auxiliary engines on the Irish Rail 29000s and NIR 3000s. Such an irritating noise that causes a constant drone in the passenger area (also occurs on middle car on Renfe 592s).

Class800

Established Member
Unlike Class 390 (Pendolinos) where the toilets (annoyingly) used to talk to you! :(
I don't like the toilets on Class 390 either - but on 159s I tend to only use the disabled toilet, as had a few scares with doors that are warped and won't close, or even worse locks that jam and I had to use a lot of force. 2 weeks ago, I saw workmen in London Charing Cross gents trying to get someone out of a jammed cubicle. Toilets on class 150 are fine, even though it's not a nice train really.

Interior doors that randomly (and sometimes continuously) open and shut by themselves.
Class 150 is bad for banging internal doors

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Oh, I should also add -> Neil Rudd and Matt Streetton’s voices, and that awful cringey man who does safety announcements on SouthEastern.

QSK19

When on 222s and waiting to alight at my destination: passengers who keep pressing the open door button before the doors have been unlocked - as if one try isn’t enough, the passenger presses it repeatedly despite the door unlocked light not being on.

Class800

Established Member
Last week on a 'class 255 Castle' (although apparently class 255 is not a proper TOPS classification! - so it's 4 HST coaches with a loco at each end) - only the guard had a proper door with droplight window - everyone else had modern doors that lack the same charm and the pleasure of slamming the door as you get on, and leaning out to open the door using the external handle as you alight

Status
Not open for further replies.