• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mobile tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I guess you would still need a signal to buy a m ticket in the first place though?

To buy and then download the ticket you'll need signal. Once it's downloaded it can be activated without any signal. So you could get your ticket at home on wifi and then when you get to the station with no signal (or data) you could still activate the ticket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dcbwhaley

Correct, however the normal way of dealing with it on board is to sell a new ticket, then when that is refused or unable to happen for whatever reason is when it usually gets escalated. However I do accept that this isn't always the case.

Al this self righteousness is rather begging the question : what exactly is an mticket for the purpose of bylaw 18? And where is that defined?

Byelaw 17.2, unlikely unless the station/area happens to be a Compulsory Ticket Area (there are very few of those around the National Rail network, comparatively speaking).

Byelaw 18 - perhaps, on the face of it, unless you have previously had permission to travel ticketless (by staff or by notice), or have not had an opportunity to purchase a ticket before boarding. But I have strong reasons to believe that, in any case, Byelaw 18 is unlawful.

Would it satisfy something more serious such as RoRA - no, as the fare has been paid, even if this cannot be shown at the time.

Why do you think that Bylaw 18 is unlawful?

Established Member
Al this self righteousness is rather begging the question : what exactly is an mticket for the purpose of bylaw 18? And where is that defined?
An M-Ticket is a ticket for the purposes of Bylaw 18... so I am not sure what your point is?

dcbwhaley

An M-Ticket is a ticket for the purposes of Bylaw 18... so I am not sure what your point is?

For a conventional ticket the ticket that has to be shown is the piece of card or paper which is issued by the ToC.
What is the equivalent for an mTicket which only exists in cyber space and has no physical embodiment?

bcarmicle

dcbwhaley

Which is so vague as to be meaningless.
I ask again: what is the physical embodiment of a cyber-ticket which has to be shown in order to conform with byelawe18.
It is not unrealistic to argue that since the ticket only exists in cyber space it is impossible to display it to an officer of the company. It is, of course, very easy - by printing the confirmation of purchase - to demonstrate that you have purchased a ticket

Veteran Member
It is not unrealistic to argue that since the ticket only exists in cyber space it is impossible to display it to an officer of the company. It is, of course, very easy - by printing the confirmation of purchase - to demonstrate that you have purchased a ticket
1. An officer of the company will accept that the image displayed on your screen is sufficient evidence of its existence.
2. As is regularly pointed out on this forum, confirmation of purchase, printed or not, is not evidence that you possess said ticket (though it may sometimes be accepted as such).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The stuff about car insurance and SORN is interesting but rather off-topic so I've moved it into a new thread which can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.