• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most boring preserved railway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Luxton

Established Member
The Blists Hill Clay Mine Railway isn't quite a heritage railway in its own right but it is part of Blists Hill Victorian Town part of the Ironbridge Group of Museums.

Today I visited Blists Hill for first time in 30 years and discovered the Clay Mine Railway.

The train is propelled by a mine battery loco along a short twisty length of track into what could best be described as a corrugated iron shed decked out as a mine at best a cut and cover construction.

Reminded me of the old Tommy Mann's Express tunnel on the narrow gauge line which uses to operate in the grounds of New Brighton Tower when I was a child.

In the tunnel a rather poor Son et Lumiere mining scene is played out.

Some will remember the original and now sadly removed Llechwedd Slate Mine tramway at Blaenau Ffestiniog or the Morwellham Quayine Train which I think still operates.

The Blists Hill offering was very poor.

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
And how many of the thousands of passengers who flock to the Severn Valley, North Yorkshire Moors, North Norfolk, West Somerset, Swanage, Torbay, just to name a few , are " committed railway enthusiasts"?

The Jacobite trains demonstrate that to satiate the masses you can stick a Black Five on a rake of maroon Mk2s and call it a day. Big steam engines and decent scenery go a long way.

Calthrop

Established Member
The Blists Hill Clay Mine Railway isn't quite a heritage railway in its own right but it is part of Blists Hill Victorian Town part of the Ironbridge Group of Museums.

Today I visited Blists Hill for first time in 30 years and discovered the Clay Mine Railway.

The train is propelled by a mine battery loco along a short twisty length of track into what could best be described as a corrugated iron shed decked out as a mine at best a cut and cover construction.

Reminded me of the old Tommy Mann's Express tunnel on the narrow gauge line which uses to operate in the grounds of New Brighton Tower when I was a child.

In the tunnel a rather poor Son et Lumiere mining scene is played out.

Some will remember the original and now sadly removed Llechwedd Slate Mine tramway at Blaenau Ffestiniog or the Morwellham Quayine Train which I think still operates.

The Blists Hill offering was very poor.

Yet further topic-drifting, perhaps; but a few years ago, I visited (had never before been in any way, to that "patch") the Ironbridge museums group. Was unimpressed by that whole assemblage of museums: struck me as mostly, poorly-executed and decidedly "naff" modern material, featuring relatively little in the way of genuinely Industrial-Revolution-period artefacts or structures. Felt robbed, by the considerable total amount of money parted with for admittance.

BoroAndy

Is this an annual event or was it a one off?

And so had the elves by the sound of it!
I think they still do the santa trips before christmas which were on the go at least 30 years ago. The staff dress up as elves, hitting the sherry quite a lot. I remember it being unbelievably cold some years in the snow. I think the train is a couple of old converted goods wagons pull push with a tank engine and a class 8. Maybe it's different now.

johnnychips

Established Member
Are we by any chance talking of either Peak Rail or the Wensleydale Railway?....both of which run through fine scenery but have, IIRC, a 15 mph speed limit for loco-hauled trains.
I found the scenery at Peak Rail a little underwhelming: a lot of views of the back gardens and light industry of Darley Dale. However, the stuff at Rowsley was interesting, Matlock is a proper destination, and I loved the Class 44 they have.

John Luxton

Established Member
Yet further topic-drifting, perhaps; but a few years ago, I visited (had never before been in any way, to that "patch") the Ironbridge museums group. Was unimpressed by that whole assemblage of museums: struck me as mostly, poorly-executed and decidedly "naff" modern material, featuring relatively little in the way of genuinely Industrial-Revolution-period artefacts or structures. Felt robbed, by the considerable total amount of money parted with for admittance.
Blists Hill has declined a bit into a Victorian Theme Park. But then again it could be argued that a few heritage railways have started heading in that direction as well.

I first visited Blists Hill as a teenager in the late 70s and it was quite a different experience than that today. The Hay Incline Plane the incline lift which raised canal boats from Severn River level to the higher level was one of the main featured. I wandered along the canal tow path, down the incline and back into the main site. Took about 40 minutes and I only passed a father with his daughter walking the other way. Yet the "Victorian Village" itself was very busy.

I found my weekend visit left me with mixed feelings.

The Museum of Iron, Jackfield Tile Museum and Coalport China museum were very good - but Blists Hill is becoming gimmicky and the railway exhibits are suffering.

The little tank engine near the entrance looks shabby and very uncared for.

One of the 5 plank freight wagons by the good shed seems to be sagging at one end.

Why are these not in bright private owner liveries, why not get the engine polished up and running? A lot of money has been spent on the site since my last visit around 1990 but the transport features have not benefitted.

Goodness knows when the 1990 replica Trevithick loco last steamed. I noted it the tender detached and firebars on the tender.

When I visited in the 70s and 80s the mine steam winding engine was a major demonstration feature. But with the cable disconnected from the head gear that doesn't appear to have steamed recently.

Sorry to digress a bit more - but I imagine the Ironbridge Museums have attracted quite a few railway enthusiasts over the years and in some ways are relevant to this theme.

Are we by any chance talking of either Peak Rail or the Wensleydale Railway?....both of which run through fine scenery but have, IIRC, a 15 mph speed limit for loco-hauled trains.
Unfortunately YRI. WR does not have a speed limit of 15 for loco hauled. 25 mph and the 33 will be doing plenty of this over the next couple of months.

nferguso

The nearby Ecclesbourne Valley Railway - although not operating any steam locos - is more interesting IMO....especially at the Wirksworth end, with the white knuckle railcar ride up the steep incline to the quarry and back down again.

Just for the elimination of doubt, the EVR's core service is now steam with Br. Standard 4MT tank 80080 running services.

52609887564_5c9faff534_b.jpg

Iskra

Established Member
That does look good, and as much as I enjoyed the class 33 diesel on my last visit I do like a Standard 4 Tank Locomotive. Hopefully, steam is drawing in the crowds for the line too and no doubt it is providing stiffer competition for some of the other local heritage lines.

I will also try make a visit in later this year when the line is up and running- let me know if you're going @D6130 and I'd be happy to coordinate my visit.

Great photo @nferguso :)

Last edited:

Not so much boring but I only spent a couple of hours at the rushden higham & wellingborough railway.

The station is excellent with a load to see & the signalbox, I love the idea that they've put tables into pacers & made them into like dining almost.

Think what they suffer with is their trackbed is severed both ends, at rushden station the bridge I believe was removed so double decker buses could fit under it. At the other end it's gone because of a dual carriageway severing it so they've only got like 2 miles of running line if that.

Russel

Just for the elimination of doubt, the EVR's core service is now steam with Br. Standard 4MT tank 80080 running services.

It's a shame to move away from Diesel Railcars after the years of work put into restoring them though.

nferguso

Wonderful....and a fantastic photo too! I'll have to try and visit again later this year.
Thank you very much! Do let me know when you're coming.

That does look good, and as much as I enjoyed the class 33 diesel on my last visit I do like a Standard 4 Tank Locomotive. Hopefully, steam is drawing in the crowds for the line too and no doubt it is providing stiffer competition for some of the other local heritage lines.

I will also try make a visit in later this year when the line is up and running- let me know if you're going @D6130 and I'd be happy to coordinate my visit.

Great photo @nferguso :)
Thanks for that! Yes, steam is an attraction although it needs to be used wisely, otherwise you're running very expensive ECS. It would be lovely to meet you both.

Regarding other local lines, a new spirit of cooperation is blooming.

Twin Peaks Gala.jpg

It's a shame to move away from Diesel Railcars after the years of work put into restoring them though.
I take your point, but railways must evolve. DMUs served us very well in our earlier days but to attract serious revenue (e.g. value-added services such as events and dining), LHCS is essential and steam does brin in the families. However, this year we are not differentiating between diesel-hauled services and DMUs so that we can get our DMUs running when the opportunities arise.

Russel

I take your point, but railways must evolve. DMUs served us very well in our earlier days but to attract serious revenue (e.g. value-added services such as events and dining), LHCS is essential and steam does brin in the families. However, this year we are not differentiating between diesel-hauled services and DMUs so that we can get our DMUs running when the opportunities arise.

Fair enough, from a revenue point of view I get it.

Are there any plans to move any of the DMUs on to other railways and will the Multiple Memories Gala make a return at any point?

Pinza-C55

I suspect that it will be the longer ones, with excessively complicated structures, which find themselves in trouble.

Sort of Natural Selection for railways ?

Many years ago I travelled on the Weardale Railway from Stanhope to Bishop Auckland. On arrival at Stanhope I entered the beautifully restored station and waited for the first train which I thought would be of "heritage" stock. The stock arrived and it was a "Pacer" which at the time were still in service. We departed and "bounced" along the very overgrown track through the relatively flat boring countryside. Eventually arrived at their Bishop Auckland "station". The platform was built using well weathered plywood sheets. I endured the long return journey and have not wanted to return. My apologies to the society members who have restored this line but in addition to the East Kent Railway I mentioned earlier it comes under my category of one of the most boring preserved railways I have travelled on.
I have travelled over the majority of the preserved lines in the country.

Flat boring countryside between Stanhope and Bishy ? There's a reason why most of the mines were connected to the line by gravity rope worked inclines

Last edited:

Peter Wilde

I've not been down to the Bluebell Railway for some years now, so I'm hoping that the cutting to the south of the viaduct at East Grinstead has grown some vegetation. I obviously understand why it looked the way it did, having been cut through what had become a rubbish tip, but it was rather unsightly and a bit boring. Hopefully this will have changed for the better over the last few years.
Well, yes, the cutting sides are growing more vegetation as the years pass. There are some nice rock outcrops on one side where the original cutting profiles are exposed. The other side was compacted rubbish, covered with membrane while plants get established- which is now evident.

A more important point though is that passing through the cutting takes only a minute or two, and the rest of the line has excellent scenery. Add in the variety of stock on the Bluebell, and the line deserves its high reputation.

D6968

Well, yes, the cutting sides are growing more vegetation as the years pass. There are some nice rock outcrops on one side where the original cutting profiles are exposed. The other side was compacted rubbish, covered with membrane while plants get established- which is now evident.

A more important point though is that passing through the cutting takes only a minute or two, and the rest of the line has excellent scenery. Add in the variety of stock on the Bluebell, and the line deserves its high reputation.
Seconded, only made 1 visit to the Bluebell, really want to go again though.

Status
Not open for further replies.