• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Motorway / Railway Sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange6

Established Member
I love those sections of railway when a motorway (or an A road) and a railway are, more or less, side-by-side and on a farily even level with each other. You can see the car drivers looking at you as you zip by and some, in my experience, put their foot down to try and stay with you.
The best bit of section I know of is at Eccles in G.Manchester just before arriving at Deansgate off the Liverpool - Manchester line. Not that long though, but track and road are pratically next to each other.
Can anybody else tell me of any routes that has sections like this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

animationmilo

I love those sections of railway when a motorway (or an A road) and a railway are, more or less, side-by-side and on a farily even level with each other. You can see the car drivers looking at you as you zip by and some, in my experience, put their foot down to try and stay with you.
The best bit of section I know of is at Eccles in G.Manchester just before arriving at Deansgate off the Liverpool - Manchester line. Not that long though, but track and road are pratically next to each other.

I think there is a section of road between Ludlow-Leominster next to the A49.

Multiple Unit

The best bit of section I know of is at Eccles in G.Manchester just before arriving at Deansgate off the Liverpool - Manchester line. Not that long though but track and road are pratically next to each other.

Section Between Chester and Wrexham Genral is one though it may be a B road not too sure thogh it does run along side the Railway line for a bit of a distance.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is short bit just before you reach Thornaby (when travelling from Middlesbrough) where the track runs alongside the A66 (and by short I mean like 10 seconds probably less).

strange6

Established Member
There is short bit just before you reach Thornaby (when travelling from Middlesbrough) where the track runs alongside the A66 (and by short I mean like 10 seconds probably less).

There is that section on the WCML just before Lancaster where the M6 touches the railway for a bit. No chance for the cars though, cos your Virgin is doing well over 100mph! However, I did see what looked like an AMG Mercedes go past us a few weeks back!

NXEA!

Off the top of my head I can think of a section of the M5 around Tiverton, and also the A12 between Chelmsford and Colchester - a lot of the way is side by side or not very far away from the railway. :)

DavidBrown

The GWML runs parallel with the M5 around Cullompton and Tiverton Parkway, and then a minor road behind Powderham Castle and the A379 at Starcross.

ushawk

Established Member
Parts of the M27 go side by side - dont know excatly the distance but ill guess about half a mile.

Multiple Unit

Also PArts of the Merseyrail Line Betwen Livpool and Southport there ares ections which folow the Road can not think at this tim ewhich they ar but I think there isare some points that do.

Between Salisbury and Romsey, the A27 runs alongside the line for a while!!

Being a straight dual carriageway and with linespeed 85mph, you often get a decent race between car and train there!!

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
My favourite one is in my town, Droitwich Spa. The railway and road only run alongside for about 1 mile but because the speed limit on the road is 30mph and trains are having to slow down and accelerate in/out of the station, it gives the perfect opportunity for a little race :) - Have a go at outpacing an accelerating class 150 (very good acceleration). Also it allows you to judge quite accurately if you're going to miss your train or not!

Also, on the M40 between J15 (Warwick) and J16 (Henley-in-Arden) the motorway runs alongside the Chiltern Main Line for about 5 miles

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
There is that section on the WCML just before Lancaster where the M6 touches the railway for a bit. No chance for the cars though, cos your Virgin is doing well over 100mph! . . . . . .
But not so further north!
Its more common for a Voyager struggling up towards Beattock Summit to be close to the speed of an, er, slightly hasty motorist.

Ivo

Established Member
Watford Gap?

Although not a motorway, I would also suggest the A13 running next to the LTS route between Pitsea and Stanford-le-Hope.

HST Power

Established Member
If you come off the A1(M) at North Stevenage and head for Luton there's a road that runs right next to the Great Northern route. Though I don't know it's name as I've never been down there.

button_boxer

Established Member
The very southern end of the M1, London side of gateway services. Not UK but a fun one for me recently was the high speed line from Brussels to Liege, Köln and Frankfurt, racing the motorway traffic in an ICE.

Rugd1022

My favourite one is in my town, Droitwich Spa. The railway and road only run alongside for about 1 mile but because the speed limit on the road is 30mph and trains are having to slow down and accelerate in/out of the station, it gives the perfect opportunity for a little race :) - Have a go at outpacing an accelerating class 150 (very good acceleration). Also it allows you to judge quite accurately if you're going to miss your train or not!

Also, on the M40 between J15 (Warwick) and J16 (Henley-in-Arden) the motorway runs alongside the Chiltern Main Line for about 5 miles

I sign both bits of line you're talking about (the section of line alongside the M40 isn't actually the 'Chiltern' route though, it's the GWR Leamington to Birmingham line, the Chiltern line runs from Aynho Junction to South Ruislip ;)), I quite often see people racing me on certain jobs.

I'm usually doing around 60mph alongside the M40 stretch, sometimes I look over and see people doing the ton in the outside lanes!

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I can't remember where because it's been a while since I've been over that way by train, but the Skegness line runs right alongside a road for quite a distance. Around Boston I think. It tends to be a case of overtaking and then being overtaken, as the railway is not that fast (50mph I think) and IIRC has to slow at one point where the line goes from double to single track, but the road also has to slow down a few times passing through villages.

The MML from north of Cricklewood to north of Mill Hill Broadway that's been mentioned is a good one as the M1 follows the railway very closely, mostly at the same level and with just the crash barrier, a low wall and a fence between the two. The MML is 110mph for most of that (drops to 105 from where the North Circular passes over to just north of Hendon) so the cars don't stand much chance.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
There was apparently a car overtaking a HST on the road past Keynsham (Bristol end, I think it's the A4) near The Globe, must be doing some serious speed!

steamybrian

Established Member
Can I suggest the HS1 - (High Speed 1) route between Maidstone and Ashford which runs alongside the M20.
With Eurostars doing up to 186mph and Javelins a slower 140 mph makes the road traffic appear as a crawl.

LewisF just beat me to mentioning it

Ivo

Established Member
There was apparently a car overtaking a HST on the road past Keynsham (Bristol end, I think it's the A4) near The Globe, must be doing some serious speed!

The sad thing is that I can believe this. Because that stretch of the A4 is both dualled and straight, many use it as an excuse to put their foot down after trawling through Bath at 20 (if that). I'm sure I seen cars doing 100+ down there before now, but never with a train in sight.

N.B.: I sent you a reply to that PM. It kinda mentions the Globe in it :lol:

CarterUSM

Established Member
When the M74 extension is finished it will run parallel to the WCML from just past eglington st tunnels to Rutherglen. Nice bit of racing between Paisley and bishopton, Breich to Addiewell and Barrhead to near enough Lugton box too.

telstarbox

Established Member
Also the HS1/M2 bridges over the Medway near Rochester, especially now the road bridge is 4 lanes in each direction, flat and straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.