• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My 00 Gauge layout - Oldmoor Junction Model Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s still a nice model considering it’s age. What sort of funny noise is it making?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
That’s still a nice model considering it’s age. What sort of funny noise is it making?
It is a really good model, definitely. I think it works with the rest of my GWR fleet - I've been to Didcot Railway Centre a lot and they have one or two Prairies there, so it was a must when I saw it. The funny noise it makes is like a rattling; I can't really describe it, but it doesn't seem to affect running. I've seen a few other people's engines making that kind of noise.

====================================================
The third day of the OJMR advent calendar takes us away from God's Wonderful Railway and brings us over to the LNER - specifically, a D16...

3rd - LNER D16 8900.jpeg
This engine looks lovely and is one of the smoothest-running locos I have. The boiler is made out of metal and the livery is really well-applied. There are a couple of issues with it, however; the first being the coupling on the tender hangs down and catches on every sleeper, and the engine can't pull the skin off a rice pudding! This last point isn't that much of an issue though, really, as I only have two LNER teak coaches to run with it and they're both pretty light.

Hope you enjoyed. :)

-Peter

======================================================
The fourth day (are we that far into December already?!) of the OJMR advent calendar takes us away not only from the LNER, but also steam...
4th - Class 55 9006.jpeg
One of the models from @reddragon, this is a lovely example of a Class 55 'Deltic'; specifically 9006 The Fife & Forfar Yeomanry. It's a Lima model but I'm not too fussy so it's brilliant for my layout. I'm yet to clean this model up externally properly as I've been working on a few of the other models but I did have a go at cleaning the motor on this one. It doesn't run very well so I need to give it a proper clean when I get chance - hopefully over the festive period closer to Christmas when I'll have some free time. :)

-Peter

And now time for something completely different. :)

5th - Class 91 91008.jpeg
On the fifth day of the OJMR advent calendar, we see 91008 in a lovely Intercity livery, complete with DVT. I have two Mk4 coaches to go with these but they're at the back of a shelf at the moment! This engine is my only electric engine and has a working pantograph (which I'm yet to test) which powers a ringfield motor on the front bogie. The main issue, and probably the only issue I have with the loco, is that it doesn't have a front coupling fitted as standard: this means you have to fit your own in order to run the engine blunt end first. There is enough space between the bottom of the front skirt and the bufferbeam to fit a small tension-lock coupling, though, so I plan to do that at some point.

I hope you enjoyed reading today's post. :)

-Peter

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m very much enjoying seeing the fleet Peter. :)

reddragon

Established Member
It is a really good model, definitely. I think it works with the rest of my GWR fleet - I've been to Didcot Railway Centre a lot and they have one or two Prairies there, so it was a must when I saw it. The funny noise it makes is like a rattling; I can't really describe it, but it doesn't seem to affect running. I've seen a few other people's engines making that kind of noise.

====================================================
The third day of the OJMR advent calendar takes us away from God's Wonderful Railway and brings us over to the LNER - specifically, a D16...

View attachment 86731
This engine looks lovely and is one of the smoothest-running locos I have. The boiler is made out of metal and the livery is really well-applied. There are a couple of issues with it, however; the first being the coupling on the tender hangs down and catches on every sleeper, and the engine can't pull the skin off a rice pudding! This last point isn't that much of an issue though, really, as I only have two LNER teak coaches to run with it and they're both pretty light.

Hope you enjoyed. :)

-Peter

The fourth day (are we that far into December already?!) of the OJMR advent calendar takes us away not only from the LNER, but also steam...
View attachment 86769
One of the models from @reddragon, this is a lovely example of a Class 55 'Deltic'; specifically 9006 The Fife & Forfar Yeomanry. It's a Lima model but I'm not too fussy so it's brilliant for my layout. I'm yet to clean this model up externally properly as I've been working on a few of the other models but I did have a go at cleaning the motor on this one. It doesn't run very well so I need to give it a proper clean when I get chance - hopefully over the festive period closer to Christmas when I'll have some free time. :)

-Peter

And now time for something completely different. :)

View attachment 86805
On the fifth day of the OJMR advent calendar, we see 91008 in a lovely Intercity livery, complete with DVT. I have two Mk4 coaches to go with these but they're at the back of a shelf at the moment! This engine is my only electric engine and has a working pantograph (which I'm yet to test) which powers a ringfield motor on the front bogie. The main issue, and probably the only issue I have with the loco, is that it doesn't have a front coupling fitted as standard: this means you have to fit your own in order to run the engine blunt end first. There is enough space between the bottom of the front skirt and the bufferbeam to fit a small tension-lock coupling, though, so I plan to do that at some point.

I hope you enjoyed reading today's post. :)

-Peter
You have quite a fleet now Peter!

Lima Deltics were never the best runners. The same motor is fitted in their class 50. That motor does drone just like a real Deltic though!

Peter C

Established Member
You have quite a fleet now Peter!

Lima Deltics were never the best runners. The same motor is fitted in their class 50. That motor does drone just like a real Deltic though!
I'm having trouble finding places to store my engines now so I'm having to extend the railway centre on the layout to cope! I'm definitely not complaining though :)
I've got a Lima Class 50 (it's the one I repainted into GBRf colours last year) which doesn't work so if the two motors are the same, I'll probably try fixing them at the same time.

I’m very much enjoying seeing the fleet Peter. :)
Thanks - I've really enjoyed seeing other layouts' fleets over the past few months/years and thought it might be nice to share mine. It also gives me something to do!

=====================================
I thought for the sixth day of the OJMR advent calendar we should move away from DC for a while and have a gander (technical term) at the digital engines in the fleet. Today, we see my Class 68!
6th - Class 68 68010.jpeg
I've spent a lot of time watching Class 68s pass through local stations and so really wanted to add one to the collection when the opportunity arose last Christmas. This one is 68010 Oxford Flyer and is a superb model - it runs really smoothly, has loads of detail, and is really strong so it can pull quite a train. The only issue I have with it is that one of the buffers fell out when it was running around the layout sometime during the Summer - I managed to find the spring, though, so it still works as normal despite not being fixed to the engine. I'd love to get a sound decoder for this at some point but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon if sound decoder prices don't drop quite a bit!

Hope you enjoyed,

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s such a lovely model. It’s completely out of era and area (and scale) for me but I do love them.

reddragon

Established Member
I'm having trouble finding places to store my engines now so I'm having to extend the railway centre on the layout to cope! I'm definitely not complaining though :)
I've got a Lima Class 50 (it's the one I repainted into GBRf colours last year) which doesn't work so if the two motors are the same, I'll probably try fixing them at the same time.

Thanks - I've really enjoyed seeing other layouts' fleets over the past few months/years and thought it might be nice to share mine. It also gives me something to do!

I thought for the sixth day of the OJMR advent calendar we should move away from DC for a while and have a gander (technical term) at the digital engines in the fleet. Today, we see my Class 68!
View attachment 86823
I've spent a lot of time watching Class 68s pass through local stations and so really wanted to add one to the collection when the opportunity arose last Christmas. This one is 68010 Oxford Flyer and is a superb model - it runs really smoothly, has loads of detail, and is really strong so it can pull quite a train. The only issue I have with it is that one of the buffers fell out when it was running around the layout sometime during the Summer - I managed to find the spring, though, so it still works as normal despite not being fixed to the engine. I'd love to get a sound decoder for this at some point but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon if sound decoder prices don't drop quite a bit!

Hope you enjoyed,

-Peter
Dapol models have come a long way.

Their freightliner wagons don't seem as good quality wise

Peter C

Established Member
That’s such a lovely model. It’s completely out of era and area (and scale) for me but I do love them.
It really is an amazing model. At some point I would like to get a decoder with more functions so I can do more with the lighting.

Dapol models have come a long way.

Their freightliner wagons don't seem as good quality wise
I can definitely recommend this model as a brilliant example of what Dapol can do. To misquote someone else on the forums, S. Claus & Co. may be bringing a Dapol 121 to the OJMR so I'll report back at the end of the month with what I think of that!
I haven't looked at any freightliner wagons really, although there are some on Hattons in their Festive Sale - are they Dapol or Hattons? I can't remember.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
It really is an amazing model. At some point I would like to get a decoder with more functions so I can do more with the lighting.

I can definitely recommend this model as a brilliant example of what Dapol can do. To misquote someone else on the forums, S. Claus & Co. may be bringing a Dapol 121 to the OJMR so I'll report back at the end of the month with what I think of that!
I haven't looked at any freightliner wagons really, although there are some on Hattons in their Festive Sale - are they Dapol or Hattons? I can't remember.

-Peter
Having just got some Hattons on their sale, I can confirm that they are metal, sturdy & don't fall to bits like my Bachmann ones or Dapol I was told to avoid. The Hornby ones are OK

Peter C

Established Member
Having just got some Hattons on their sale, I can confirm that they are metal, sturdy & don't fall to bits like my Bachmann ones or Dapol I was told to avoid. The Hornby ones are OK
Ah brilliant - I might look into those ones then. I've been on the lookout for some proper container wagons at some point.

==========================
We're taking a jump back to DC for the seventh day of the OJMR advent calendar - and the Southern Region...
7th - Class 33.jpeg

This model is an excellent all-round engine which I've found can be used to great success on both shunting and mainline workings. It's from @reddragon and is one of the most reliable engines in the fleet, especially now it's been fitted with two Hornby HST weights. I'm yet to repaint this one and I expect it will take a while before it receives a new livery as I just can't decide which Class 33 livery I like most! It's probably going to be some form of BR Blue, and probably a Southern Region variant. This is a Lima model and apart from one of the buffers occasionally falling off, it's a lovely engine :)

Only 18 more sleeps to go... :D

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah brilliant - I might look into those ones then. I've been on the lookout for some proper container wagons at some point.

We're taking a jump back to DC for the seventh day of the OJMR advent calendar - and the Southern Region...
View attachment 86864

This model is an excellent all-round engine which I've found can be used to great success on both shunting and mainline workings. It's from @reddragon and is one of the most reliable engines in the fleet, especially now it's been fitted with two Hornby HST weights. I'm yet to repaint this one and I expect it will take a while before it receives a new livery as I just can't decide which Class 33 livery I like most! It's probably going to be some form of BR Blue, and probably a Southern Region variant. This is a Lima model and apart from one of the buffers occasionally falling off, it's a lovely engine :)

Only 18 more sleeps to go... :D

-Peter
I used to have a couple of those! I think repainted one into Dutch and I kept the other one blue but renumbered it to 33006.

Peter C

Established Member
I used to have a couple of those! I think repainted one into Dutch and I kept the other one blue but renumbered it to 33006.
They are brilliant little engines aren't they? :) I hadn't considered the Dutch livery so I might go for that. It's just trying to find an interesting livery which works with multiple settings, i.e. passenger trains/freight/engineers/shunting.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
All over departmental grey is another one that suited them quite well. Especially if you stick some nameplates on them. The only thing that really let the Lima 33 down was the lack of flush glazing. I remember finding some after market stuff that I did the windows on mine with and made a big difference. I think I even made some wipers and pipework up for the front actually.

Nice grey one here:
324B39ED-09DA-46C9-8C8C-E5CF6637DBF4.jpeg

Established Member

View attachment 86823

Hope you enjoyed,

-Peter
I agree about the 68 being superb (in reality and model form). My only problem with my DRS one is the coupling sits very low which means it catches on the point switches. I have never had any issues with the buffers before.

Peter C

Established Member
I agree about the 68 being superb (in reality and model form). My only problem with my DRS one is the coupling sits very low which means it catches on the point switches. I have never had any issues with the buffers before.
My 68 doesn't seem to have issues with the coupling being low from what I remember but it may be from a different batch. The buffer isn't a big problem (in fact I can't remember which one it is unless I were to try and pull each one in turn) but it was quite annoying at the time considering the model's not cheap!

-Peter

All over departmental grey is another one that suited them quite well. Especially if you stick some nameplates on them. The only thing that really let the Lima 33 down was the lack of flush glazing. I remember finding some after market stuff that I did the windows on mine with and made a big difference. I think I even made some wipers and pipework up for the front actually.

Nice grey one here:
View attachment 86865
That looks like a nice livery and it looks easy enough to do as well. Another big focus when repainting the various models I've been given is detailing them up as well - i.e. handrails, pipes, etc. There are a couple of people I follow on Twitter who take old models and make them really detailed so I'll take things they've done and apply them to my own fleet :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It is amazing what you can do with an old model and they’re great to practice on.

Peter C

Established Member
It is amazing what you can do with an old model and they’re great to practice on.
I'm really quite looking forward to seeing how these projects turn out and seeing what I can do. Hopefully sometime during December I'll finalise what I want to do with one model and then make a start on doing something with it!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I'm really quite looking forward to seeing how these projects turn out and seeing what I can do. Hopefully sometime during December I'll finalise what I want to do with one model and then make a start on doing something with it!

-Peter
Thats the huge advantage of old dodgy models, you can only make them better!

I'd be scared to practise on a decent model

Peter C

Established Member
Thats the huge advantage of old dodgy models, you can only make them better!

I'd be scared to practise on a decent model
That's kind of my thinking. I'm definitely in agreement with you regarding practising on newer models: I can't afford to buy a new bodyshell, let alone a new engine, if the painting goes wrong. The number of engine/unit bodyshells on eBay going for >£20 is mindblowing...!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
That's kind of my thinking. I'm definitely in agreement with you regarding practising on newer models: I can't afford to buy a new bodyshell, let alone a new engine, if the painting goes wrong. The number of engine/unit bodyshells on eBay going for >£20 is mindblowing...!

-Peter

Bide your time. Just before payday is always good, after xmas might be good, mid January maybe bargains, but alas with everyone home rail modelling has gone mad

Peter C

Established Member
Bide your time. Just before payday is always good, after xmas might be good, mid January maybe bargains, but alas with everyone home rail modelling has gone mad
I've picked up a few really good deals through various sites including eBay and I can't agree with that more - it's annoying that people seem to be going through their old model railway collections through lockdown, halving the price of a new model, and going for that or more, even if they're trying to sell a knackered old model which doesn't even work! I actually saw someone on eBay the other day say that a 'Rocket' model didn't run but the chimney smoke effect worked... I'll let you decide what's actually happened there! :D

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m also too scared to touch new models sometimes. I bought a new Farish class 31/1 from The Model Centre today but I’ve paid them to weather it as although I don’t mind weathering one that’s just a standard model, I’m paying for DCC sound with this so I might as well pay a bit extra and have it done professionally...
I have added extra bufferbeam detail to some of my models, but the thought of repainting/renumbering in N gauge gives me palpitations.

Peter C

Established Member
I’m also too scared to touch new models sometimes. I bought a new Farish class 31/1 from The Model Centre today but I’ve paid them to weather it as although I don’t mind weathering one that’s just a standard model, I’m paying for DCC sound with this so I might as well pay a bit extra and have it done professionally...
I have added extra bufferbeam detail to some of my models, but the thought of repainting/renumbering in N gauge gives me palpitations.
I imagine that will be a lovely engine once it's all weathered, especially with sound. I can't imagine painting even a little bit of one of my new engines. I don't even like the idea of putting on/removing extra detail from bufferbeams on my new models!

==============================================
Sticking with the Southern Region, but jumping over to DCC again, today we'll have a gander at the first multiple unit of this advent calendar...
8th - Class 423 7756.jpeg

This model is the Hornby Class 423 4-VEP, about which I could quite honestly moan all day - but I'll save (some of) that for another time. :) This model came from my local model shop for around £180 IIRC a couple of years ago and it has spent most of its time doing nothing on the layout. This was initially due to the couplings causing it to derail on every curve, and then once I'd removed the couplings, the motor became the main issue. It's not the most powerful thing and can't really move three other coaches. But - to be positive - the livery is really quite nice and reminds me of the 423 - 3417 - currently being restored at Strawberry Hill Depot. The only thing it doesn't have is the half yellow end, or else it would be identical, apart from the number! It's definitely one of those models I'd like to improve one day. I'd definitely do something about the motor and the lights inside, which don't work (sadly).

Anyway - I hope this wasn't too negative! :D

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well going on what’s been said in the thread about the Hornby VEP it seems like you’re not alone.
I mean it looks nice...

Iskra

Established Member
I agree with your logic!

TMC do an amazing job, their work is good value on expensive locos.

I’ve just bought a DCC fitted Lima FGW 47 for £30 on ebay purely as a weathering test bed.

reddragon

Established Member
I imagine that will be a lovely engine once it's all weathered, especially with sound. I can't imagine painting even a little bit of one of my new engines. I don't even like the idea of putting on/removing extra detail from bufferbeams on my new models!

Sticking with the Southern Region, but jumping over to DCC again, today we'll have a gander at the first multiple unit of this advent calendar...
View attachment 86894

This model is the Hornby Class 423 4-VEP, about which I could quite honestly moan all day - but I'll save (some of) that for another time. :) This model came from my local model shop for around £180 IIRC a couple of years ago and it has spent most of its time doing nothing on the layout. This was initially due to the couplings causing it to derail on every curve, and then once I'd removed the couplings, the motor became the main issue. It's not the most powerful thing and can't really move three other coaches. But - to be positive - the livery is really quite nice and reminds me of the 423 - 3417 - currently being restored at Strawberry Hill Depot. The only thing it doesn't have is the half yellow end, or else it would be identical, apart from the number! It's definitely one of those models I'd like to improve one day. I'd definitely do something about the motor and the lights inside, which don't work (sadly).

Anyway - I hope this wasn't too negative! :D

-Peter

I have a 4-VEP I got off Hattons for £115 in NSE livery (why it was so cheap). It flies around my track, no slipping or issues at all, never derails etc, there must be an issue with your model? My lights are fine, you might have a connection issue on the couplings.

The problem is that its very noisy & jerky at low speeds, so I have to accelerate away / stop quickly

Peter C

Established Member
Well going on what’s been said in the thread about the Hornby VEP it seems like you’re not alone.
I mean it looks nice...
I wasn't surprised to see so many people complaining about the model really from what I've read otherwhere online. It does look nice: it's just a shame it doesn't work as well as I'd hoped it would.

I have a 4-VEP I got off Hattons for £115 in NSE livery (why it was so cheap). It flies around my track, no slipping or issues at all, never derails etc, there must be an issue with your model? My lights are fine, you might have a connection issue on the couplings.

The problem is that its very noisy & jerky at low speeds, so I have to accelerate away / stop quickly
I'm very jealous of you then! :) My model also works well at higher speeds, but, like yours, it doesn't do too well at slow speeds. I expect yours is probably from a different batch or something, or maybe you're just lucky!

For the ninth day of the OJMR advent calendar, we're having a butcher's at the LNER again...
9th - LNER J86 68748.jpeg
Today's model is a Hornby J86 - specifically, 68478. It came in the 'Mixed Freight' DCC train set with a Class 08 but unfortunately doesn't run. I don't know why it doesn't work - I've had a look at the motor and the insides but I can't see anything obviously wrong. The livery is very nice, though, and when it did work, it was a really good shunter because of its fairly small size. This photo actuallym makes it look like it has the proportions of a Beattie Well Tank, but it's actually the standard Hornby Type M motor 0-6-0 chassis!

Hope you enjoyed.

-Peter :)

reddragon

Established Member
I wasn't surprised to see so many people complaining about the model really from what I've read otherwhere online. It does look nice: it's just a shame it doesn't work as well as I'd hoped it would.

I'm very jealous of you then! :) My model also works well at higher speeds, but, like yours, it doesn't do too well at slow speeds. I expect yours is probably from a different batch or something, or maybe you're just lucky!

For the ninth day of the OJMR advent calendar, we're having a butcher's at the LNER again...
View attachment 86928
Today's model is a Hornby J86 - specifically, 68478. It came in the 'Mixed Freight' DCC train set with a Class 08 but unfortunately doesn't run. I don't know why it doesn't work - I've had a look at the motor and the insides but I can't see anything obviously wrong. The livery is very nice, though, and when it did work, it was a really good shunter because of its fairly small size. This photo actuallym makes it look like it has the proportions of a Beattie Well Tank, but it's actually the standard Hornby Type M motor 0-6-0 chassis!

Hope you enjoyed.

-Peter :)

I like your NR test train behind!

Peter C

Established Member
I like your NR test train behind!
Thanks! :) I got four test train/departmental coaches not too long ago from my local model shop. All Hornby; 1 Mk2 (NR yellow), 1 Mk1 BG (NR yellow), 1 Mk1 (BR Old Oak Common Yellow), 1 Mk1 (Lab 10 red+blue livery). They're lovely coaches. I'm planning on getting a Class 31 at some point to fit my TTS 31 decoder into (currently in 50046), so I'll probably go for NR yellow to match the coaches. The plan is to get a Class 31 loco and Class 50 TTS decoder at the same time so I can swap the decoders into the right engines, but the problem is finding somewhere which has a decoder in stock...

-Peter

The tenth day of the OJMR advent calendar sticks with DCC and the east end of London...
10th - Class 47 47164.jpeg
This is 47164, from the Bachmann 25-2014 25th Anniversary set, which also included 45552 Silver Jubilee. This engine is one the best-performing in my fleet; it doesn't hesitate on bits of the track where other engines stop and it can do really slow to really fast. I say we've gone to East London with this model as I believe the real thing was actually turned out in this special livery by Stratford Depot, London, although I may be wrong. This photo doesn't show the front lights, the cab lights, and barely shows the driver in the cab, but I can assure you that they are all there! In the background of the photo, you can see the latest addition to the railway - more news on this soon... :)

-Peter

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks! :) I got four test train/departmental coaches not too long ago from my local model shop. All Hornby; 1 Mk2 (NR yellow), 1 Mk1 BG (NR yellow), 1 Mk1 (BR Old Oak Common Yellow), 1 Mk1 (Lab 10 red+blue livery). They're lovely coaches. I'm planning on getting a Class 31 at some point to fit my TTS 31 decoder into (currently in 50046), so I'll probably go for NR yellow to match the coaches. The plan is to get a Class 31 loco and Class 50 TTS decoder at the same time so I can swap the decoders into the right engines, but the problem is finding somewhere which has a decoder in stock...

-Peter

The tenth day of the OJMR advent calendar sticks with DCC and the east end of London...
View attachment 86948
This is 47164, from the Bachmann 25-2014 25th Anniversary set, which also included 45552 Silver Jubilee. This engine is one the best-performing in my fleet; it doesn't hesitate on bits of the track where other engines stop and it can do really slow to really fast. I say we've gone to East London with this model as I believe the real thing was actually turned out in this special livery by Stratford Depot, London, although I may be wrong. This photo doesn't show the front lights, the cab lights, and barely shows the driver in the cab, but I can assure you that they are all there! In the background of the photo, you can see the latest addition to the railway - more news on this soon... :)

-Peter
Excellent, the bachmann 47 is a fine model! What did you think of the Silver Jubilee that came with it?

I managed a run on one in that livery, excuse the poor shot, best I could do considering:IMG_1465 (1).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.