• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My 00 Gauge layout - Oldmoor Junction Model Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
I’m not sure on the paint colours to be honest Peter, but I would recommend some decent masking tape like a Tamiya one or similar.
posted for you Peter but Cowley won
Thanks very much both! :D

I’m not sure on the paint colours to be honest Peter, but I would recommend some decent masking tape like a Tamiya one or similar.
Thanks for the Tamiya recommendation - I seem to remember you mentioning that when I did my GBRf Class 50. I'll buy some of that masking tape this time round as WHSmith masking tape last time was alright but not superb!

===========================

My GWSR Class 47, or, Project 47376 - Update 1
------------------------------------------------------
Over the past few days, I've been properly thinking about what liveries I want to paint the engines @reddragon gave me. I was originally going to start with the Class 33, but I still can't decide what livery I want to paint it in, so that's that. :) I've decided I'm going to spend the time over Christmas painting the model of D1676 I was given to make it 47376 in Freightliner grey, as seen on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway. It's an engine I've seen several times and upon researching more about the livery, I've found it that bit more interesting.

This project actually started yesterday (18.12.2020) - I got distracted whilst making the eighteenth OJMR advent calendar post and took a small screwdriver to the side of the bodyshell in order to remove the large lines between the colours. I managed to do that job fairly quickly and now the bodyshell is pretty much entirely smooth on the sides: there are just a few small bits left to file down. I also removed the headcode boxes on each end of the engine to allow me to make my own front lighting panel which will make the model look more like 47376.
Bodyshell side, 19.12.2020.jpegFront, 19.12.2020.jpeg
The engine does look a bit of a mess at the moment, but don't be alarmed - this will all be solved when I've finalised some bits and then started painting.

The idea is to buy the paints either today or tomorrow, along with the nameplates and transfers, and then start work when they arrive. I'll paint the engine white beforehand to act as a base coat and to make the colours show properly as well. I won't be spraying it because I don't have the facilities or want to do it that way; I painted my 50007 by hand and I'm quite happy with that. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know!

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think it was me I’d probably give it an initial spray over with a light coloured aerosol primer just to give it a base coat. I know that you don’t want to spray the whole thing but you might find that too many brushed coats start to clog up the fine detail on the roof and in other places.
Interesting that someone has had a go at replacing the handrails with wire (the Lima ones were moulded and the Hornby ones had separate wire handrails from what I remember).

Edit - I’m going to have to ask you to post on my thread now due to auto-merge!

Peter C

Established Member
I think it was me I’d probably give it an initial spray over with a light coloured aerosol primer just to give it a base coat. I know that you don’t want to spray the whole thing but you might find that too many brushed coats start to clog up the fine detail on the roof and in other places.
Interesting that someone has had a go at replacing the handrails with wire (the Lima ones were moulded and the Hornby ones had separate wire handrails from what I remember).

Ah OK - I'll look into spraying it but I think I might just use thinner paint?
I'll have to replace the handrails as well as the current ones are bent and I need to paint them white so taking them out will be needed either way.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah OK - I'll look into spraying it but I think I might just use thinner paint?
I'll have to replace the handrails as well as the current ones are bent and I need to paint them white so taking them out will be needed either way.

-Peter
You could probably get away with some firm silver wire for them, you wouldn’t need to paint them either as they’re just shiny metal on the real thing I think.

Peter C

Established Member
You could probably get away with some firm silver wire for them, you wouldn’t need to paint them either as they’re just shiny metal on the real thing I think.
I'll probably just use paperclips and bend them to shape. I'll have to double check the colour of the handrails :)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member

You are admin, can't you cheat?

Peter C

Established Member
I've updated my viaduct - look out for some regular updates!
I've just taken a look and the main thing I have to say is it's looking really good - I wouldn't know where to start on such a project and, as I've mentioned before, I would like to have a viaduct but don't have the space so seeing yours develop is really interesting.

==================
The twentieth day of the OJMR advent calendar sees us look at two engines because I forgot to post one yesterday...
1608484494480.png
The first one is this Mainline GWR Mogul - 5322. It came from the GWSR on one of their Diesel Gala days a couple of years ago and I was quite surprised to find out that the engine is actually based at Didcot Railway Centre, giving it that extra local connection. It was quite a good runner until earlier this month when it stopped working; I believe it is a motor-related issue. I've actually spent today going through and trying to fix some of my engines and I've developed an understanding of the basics of engine maintenance (for older locos at least), so this is probably going to be next to get a service and a fix.

1608484858483.png
I think everyone has had a model of either Thomas or Percy at some point and I'm no exception! This is, obviously, a model of Thomas from the North Western Railway on the Island of Sodor. It's a Hornby model and was bought from my local model shop as my third engine. It is the newer Hornby Thomas and has a lighter shade of blue than the original Type M motor versions - this one even has a slightly wonky face. :) This one doesn't work either as it stopped running several years ago and I haven't been able to fix it.

Hope you enjoyed,

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I've just taken a look and the main thing I have to say is it's looking really good - I wouldn't know where to start on such a project and, as I've mentioned before, I would like to have a viaduct but don't have the space so seeing yours develop is really interesting.

==================
The twentieth day of the OJMR advent calendar sees us look at two engines because I forgot to post one yesterday...
View attachment 87384
The first one is this Mainline GWR Mogul - 5322. It came from the GWSR on one of their Diesel Gala days a couple of years ago and I was quite surprised to find out that the engine is actually based at Didcot Railway Centre, giving it that extra local connection. It was quite a good runner until earlier this month when it stopped working; I believe it is a motor-related issue. I've actually spent today going through and trying to fix some of my engines and I've developed an understanding of the basics of engine maintenance (for older locos at least), so this is probably going to be next to get a service and a fix.

View attachment 87385
I think everyone has had a model of either Thomas or Percy at some point and I'm no exception! This is, obviously, a model of Thomas from the North Western Railway on the Island of Sodor. It's a Hornby model and was bought from my local model shop as my third engine. It is the newer Hornby Thomas and has a lighter shade of blue than the original Type M motor versions - this one even has a slightly wonky face. :) This one doesn't work either as it stopped running several years ago and I haven't been able to fix it.

Hope you enjoyed,

-Peter
Err no, I have never owned a Thomas the Tank loco, absolutely not.

OK named the kids after the TT locos but not bought a model!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My son had a few Thomas bits but I don’t think there was a Thomas model available when I was a kid, all we had was the original books in those days...
I did used to have the same model of the GWR mogul, I think mine had G W R lettering on the tender though. It was a very nice model for its time.

Peter C

Established Member
Err no, I have never owned a Thomas the Tank loco, absolutely not.

OK named the kids after the TT locos but not bought a model!
Ah fair enough :)

-Peter

My son had a few Thomas bits but I don’t think there was a Thomas model available when I was a kid, all we had was the original books in those days...
I did used to have the same model of the GWR mogul, I think mine had G W R lettering on the tender though. It was a very nice model for its time.
Next you'll be telling me you remember BR! :)
The Mogul is a lovely model. I was tempted to go for a Dapol one to compare with but thought it was a bit silly to get two when for my railway one is enough.

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
You never forget BR!
Haha :lol:
=============
Oldmoor Junction Model Railway - Update 17
--------------------------------------------------
As we are quickly approaching Christmas, and it's been about a month since I last made a proper update on the layout, I thought it would be a good idea to let you know what I've done. :)

Depot
I've made several different changes to the bits of track coming off from the inside loop over this year but I think I've finally got something I like. The small station is still there (and is still unnamed), but is now in front of the brand-new Oldmoor Traction & Rolling Stock Maintenance Depot!
Oldmoor T&RSMD.jpeg
The depot is comprised of two main roads and a smaller siding which runs down part of the depot building. The building itself was scratchbuilt using the card from cereal boxes and I think it looks quite nice. My plan is to use some form of brick paper/paint to make it look like the metal panels you sometimes get on this kind of building. On the inside, my plan is to put a raised walkway/platform between the two tracks and to make all but in between the rails 'concrete' using the card from cereal boxes again - the picture shows what I've been experimenting with. It's just the inner-side of a cereal box.

Roadworks
The (fairly small) population of Oldmoor (at present) must be absolutely fuming at the number of roadworks which have been carried out recently; this one, however, is probably the most drastic, and has involved changing the angle of the entire road to fit the Railway Centre onto the layout!
Road.jpeg
My plan is to make the area right next to the wall against the railway a form of thing garden running alongside the wall, then a path, then the road, then another path, and then the buildings. I might add a bus stop in as well (for the one knackered old bus on the OJMR) to increase the visual interest. The war memorial will be the main part of the town gardens, and will also include a few benches along the perimeter hedges.
Moving the road has seen the removal of the two small sidings which came off the track into the depot; those sidings were no good as the track and points didn't conduct the electricity needed to get engines moving and the space can be put towards the much more interesting Railway Centre.
Tealights.jpeg
This picture shows the effect the battery-powered tealights have in the buildings; especially now the nights have drawn in. The effect works very well with the Christmas lights along the edges of the layout! The only problem is that the flickering effect makes it look like either the power supply to all the buildings is very dodgy, or the residents of Oldmoor are having a set of co-ordinated raves! I'll leave this as a point for the reader to think about. :)

Bay platforms
Oldmoor Junction station is comprised of two through platforms and three bay platforms: this has been the case for some time. However, until a couple of weekends ago, the bay platforms were of no use as the points and trackwork weren't properly working. A quick fiddle around with the superelevated curves and the points on the entrance to the three platforms has proved to fix the issues I had before and now I can use the platforms as planned. My use of Hornby point clips also means one platform is always supplied with power - this platform has to be kept empty, but I suppose this is more realistic as I don't think Oldmoor Junction would need such a frequent service that all platforms were occupied at all times.
Bay latforms.jpeg

Railway Centre
I've been banging on about a railway centre on my layout since the beginning of this thread but I think I've finally got it all planned. Here is the current idea (paper used for planning - engines to test siding sizes):
Railway centre.jpeg
I've decided to take two tracks off of the outermost bay platform instead of the single track I'd planned before and this means I can have quite a sizable railway centre, including the Metcalfe goods shed, which is definitely one of the focal points of the area. The whole trackplan has been squeezed into the area behind the shops on the main road on the layout; this provides quite an interesting scene/setting for the track running into the goods shed as it looks like it's hidden away - something I've never had on the layout before.
Hidden goods shed line.jpeg
I've also included two smaller sidings closer to Oldmoor Junction station:
Station pilot platforms.jpeg
I believe a term for these would be 'kickback' sidings, but they're really there to hold an engine or two close to the station and out of the way of the rest of the railway centre. The plan is to run trains between Oldmoor Junction and the railway centre goods shed, vaguely mimicking Didcot Railway Centre's use of their transfer shed as a standalone station. My GWR autocoach and pannier tank train should fit perfectly on the goods shed line, and having a shuttle could make for some interesting shunting as the shuttle needs to be moved out of the way of any large trains coming into the bay platforms, such as the 2+2 HST set I've used for terminating services, because trains of three coaches or more can only really fit in that platform - if that makes any sense.

New building
Last year I got a couple of Metcalfe building kits. One of these was a three-building kit, comprising of a pub and two shops.
I built one of these buildings the other week, and, whilst it's still not fully finished, here it is on the layout:
Acorn Antiques building.jpeg
The idea is to have a road running in front of this building, a junction to have a road running in front of the two houses, and then for the road to run off the edge of the baseboard and into that wonderful place 'Imagination'. I've also made a fairly poor attempt at recreating a certain TV set in the building; this being that of Victoria Wood's 'Acorn Antiques', which I find hilarious (along with all of her other work). The weird white thing to the left is supposed to be the railing as seen in this photo:
(apologies for just a link - the photo is far too big in file size to share here. The purple railing to the right is what I'm on about)
And then the things to the right are the blinds used at the start of some sketches which say 'Acorn Antiques' on them.
I'm going to try and make a Acorn Antiques shop sign to cover the one which is currently on the front of the building at some point. I'm also trying to work out how to fit as many cameos and jokes in as possible!

I hope you enjoyed reading this post - apologies for the length, but with the OJMR advent calendar, I've been rather busy! Merry Christmas one and all!

-Peter :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks like you’ve started to settle on a final plan for it all now? Those Metcalfe buildings are very good value considering what you get and I like the lights too.

Peter C

Established Member
Looks like you’ve started to settle on a final plan for it all now? Those Metcalfe buildings are very good value considering what you get and I like the lights too.
I've definitely got a fairly solid idea for what I want now, definitely. Just need to work on what I'll do for some scenic sections and then it's just a case of getting on with it! :)
Metcalfe kits are brilliant - I've built several over the years and they're always good fun to make. The lights just add to it I think.

Thanks,

-Peter

==================
I missed the twenty-first day of the OJMR advent calendar, so here are two engines in one go again. :)

22nd - Class 66 and Class 45.jpeg
The first engine is 66731 'Capt. Tom Moore', the special Hornby 'Thank You NHS' 66. I was fairly lucky in the fact that it took me only ~1hr to get this on Hornby's site whereas some people spent several hours! It's a lovely model to remind me (and anyone else who sees it) of the positives of this year. It's fitted with a Hornby TTS decoder and an old HST weight to aid it in negotiating my superlevated curves. Being of the older Lima tooling, it has the motor mounted on one bogie and little weight inside, so it's not the best runner, but it's alright. I personally don't think it needs a new speaker for the TTS decoder as the space in the engine makes the sounds so much better than the tinny speaker on its own! :)

The second engine is a Mainline Class 45 - D49 'The Manchester Regiment'. This came from somewhere online for £35 IIRC and is a good runner, although a lack of traction tyres on my example means it can't pull the skin off a rice pudding! For an older model, though, the detail is really quite good (having said that, it must be said that I'm quite easily pleased with models!), and it adds to the heritage diesel collection. It'll definitely be part of the railway centre when I build it!

-Peter

Last edited:

Established Member
==================
I missed the twenty-first day of the OJMR advent calendar, so here are two engines in one go again. :)

View attachment 87496
The first engine is 66731 'Capt. Tom Moore', the special Hornby 'Thank You NHS' 66. I was fairly lucky in the fact that it took me only ~1hr to get this on Hornby's site whereas some people spent several hours! It's a lovely model to remind me (and anyone else who sees it) of the positives of this year. It's fitted with a Hornby TTS decoder and an old HST weight to aid it in negotiating my superlevated curves. Being of the older Lima tooling, it has the motor mounted on one bogie and little weight inside, so it's not the best runner, but it's alright. I personally don't think it needs a new speaker for the TTS decoder as the space in the engine makes the sounds so much better than the tinny speaker on its own! :)

-Peter
The 66's is a very nice model and it is amazing how quickly they got round to producing and shipping the Captain Tom/NHS ones. Here is 66731 in its former guise and name (interhubGB) on my layout.
IMG_20201210_165630.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I used to have one of those Mainline class 45s that I bought second hand from somewhere. The previous owner had done a really good job detailing it and it had all the pipe work, three link coupling etc on one end. It was a nice model actually.

Peter when you say super elevated curves - could you post a picture of them when you get a minute please?

Peter C

Established Member
I used to have one of those Mainline class 45s that I bought second hand from somewhere. The previous owner had done a really good job detailing it and it had all the pipe work, three link coupling etc on one end. It was a nice model actually.
I doubt I'm going to do anything with mine apart from fit it with traction tyres. I do like seeing how people detail their older models though - hence why I'm planning on detailing the 47 I'm working on and bringing it up to a more modern standard.

Peter when you say super elevated curves - could you post a picture of them when you get a minute please?
20201224_091842.jpg
Here you go :) It's not the best photo in the world but does show the angle of the trains passing over the curves. It's done using small pieces of cork underlay placed under the outer edge of the track and then pinning the track down to the baseboard as normal to create the angle (this seems to be the popular way of doing it).

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@Peter C that looks really good. I’ve been considering doing the same on my new sections, but might be a bit fiddly in my scale.

Peter C

Established Member
@Peter C that looks really good. I’ve been considering doing the same on my new sections, but might be a bit fiddly in my scale.
Thanks :) It adds something to the layout I think. I used spare bits of cork I had from when I decided not to use it under all of my track. Charlie from Chadwick Model Railway has done a video covering it I believe.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I doubt I'm going to do anything with mine apart from fit it with traction tyres. I do like seeing how people detail their older models though - hence why I'm planning on detailing the 47 I'm working on and bringing it up to a more modern standard.

View attachment 87579
Here you go :) It's not the best photo in the world but does show the angle of the trains passing over the curves. It's done using small pieces of cork underlay placed under the outer edge of the track and then pinning the track down to the baseboard as normal to create the angle (this seems to be the popular way of doing it).

-Peter

My original railway started at a terminus, lopped around twice before doing a reverse loop under the board which had a tunnel exit and a 10% hill back to board level, lopped around twice and back to the terminus.

The hill was a problem and all my locos were rated by the number of coaches they could pull up the hill. All old Hornby were rated at just 3 and Lima 5 to 6.

I did an upgrade programme of extra weights, twin motors and even put steel track on the hill with cross ridges for traction on the hill. That twin motor Triang 31 was a result and I have a twin motor Hornby 25 too.

The winner was my Lima 52 with extra weight but todays modern heavyweight locos win.

Peter C

Established Member
My original railway started at a terminus, lopped around twice before doing a reverse loop under the board which had a tunnel exit and a 10% hill back to board level, lopped around twice and back to the terminus.

The hill was a problem and all my locos were rated by the number of coaches they could pull up the hill. All old Hornby were rated at just 3 and Lima 5 to 6.

I did an upgrade programme of extra weights, twin motors and even put steel track on the hill with cross ridges for traction on the hill. That twin motor Triang 31 was a result and I have a twin motor Hornby 25 too.

The winner was my Lima 52 with extra weight but todays modern heavyweight locos win.
That sounds like quite the layout! I'd like to have a model railway of that sort of design at some point.
I wonder if the DCC Concepts Power Base could have helped with the hills? It seems to be a very good bit of kit and I'd definitely use it if I had any gradients. The most I've done with model weights is take out most of the weights from the 47 and then put two weights in the 33!
You mentioning a Class 52 reminds me I've got a certain purchase on its way - watch this space... :)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
That sounds like quite the layout! I'd like to have a model railway of that sort of design at some point.
I wonder if the DCC Concepts Power Base could have helped with the hills? It seems to be a very good bit of kit and I'd definitely use it if I had any gradients. The most I've done with model weights is take out most of the weights from the 47 and then put two weights in the 33!
You mentioning a Class 52 reminds me I've got a certain purchase on its way - watch this space... :)

-Peter
You advent for 25th?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not this engine in particular - I bought it on eBay the other day and it's due to arrive on the 30th. Total cost is ~£60 for DCC fitted Hornby 'Western'. :)

-Peter
My 31 didn’t turn up unfortunately but I think TMC are struggling with the amount of orders they’ve had recently. It’s fine though as I need to do a bit of work on the railway while I’m off.

Peter C

Established Member
My 31 didn’t turn up unfortunately but I think TMC are struggling with the amount of orders they’ve had recently. It’s fine though as I need to do a bit of work on the railway while I’m off.
Oh no! I hope it gets through soon. Royal Mail seem to be struggling to cope a bit with the large number of parcels/etc. being sent over Christmas as well. Hope you had a merry Christmas otherwise! :)
=======================

Oldmoor Junction Model Railway - Update 18 (and OJMR Advent Calendar - Days 23, 24, 25, and 26)
I hope that everyone's had a nice, relaxing, and merry Christmas as much as possible. I personally can't wait for the end of 2020 (but I'm definitely enjoying the lazy days between now and then)!
Seeing as everyone else is sharing their Christmas presents, I thought I'd share mine. I was very lucky and received four engines - one of which I wasn't expecting!

The first engine (or unit really I suppose) is a Bachmann Class 121...
Bachmann Class 121.jpeg
This is the replacement for the Dapol Class 121 I originally went for. It is much lighter than the Dapol equivalent but is so much better in every other way - the main one being that it works as it should! I've fitted this with a decoder (which was very stressful, seeing as the body's held on with clips not screws and I'm amazingly clumsy) and the lighting functions are really cool - you can have directional lights, cab lights, saloon lights, and destination blind lights! All good fun to try and control. The decoder is a Plux 22 and apparently does braking simulation or something but if it does this with the 121 I don't know - I'll consult the interwebs and manual for more info!

The second unit is a Hornby Class 153...
Hornby Class 153.jpeg
I believe the tooling for this model dates from 2008 but honestly, looking at the detailing, you'd never know. It's DCC compatible, has directional lights, and is absolutely covered in rivets. The livery is also really cool - it's EMT ex Central Trains, so it's completely different to everything else I have, but it is really nice to look at. I fitted a decoder to it yesterday but something happened and it then didn't work with a decoder. I replaced the decoder with the blanking plate and it works perfectly on DC, so I'll try again with a decoder tomorrow and see if it works. I wonder if something accidentally shorted - probably the purple wire from the decoder, which isn't attached to anything.

The third and fourth engines are tiny little things...
Smokey Joe and Ruston 48DS.jpeg
On the right is a Hornby Ruston 48DS in Longmorn Distillery livery. The chocolate and cream colours remind me of the GWR and the quirkiness of it makes me like it even more! I've not yet fitted it with a decoder (though my plan is to fit it, after buying the right decoder, soon), so it's currently DC but still works really well. I don't think I'm going to remove the conflat wagon it comes with as it needs to have the extra pickups for my layout really and I worry that I might lose it!
On the left is a Hornby classic - 'Smokey Joe'. I was very surprised when I unwrapped this as I'd got one of these famous pocket rockets before! It's one of the later, re-motored versions which are less pocket-rockets and more proper shunting engines as they have very good slow-speed performance. I'm not going to bother DCC fitting this as it's not got a socket and I've had enough of soldering for a while (more on this in the next update!).

I thought I might as well include this as well...
Hattons Beilhack.jpeg
This is a Hattons Beilhack snowplough from their Festive Sale. It's the 'Stratford Shark' version and it looks really cool with the face! I'm not very knowledgeable on this kind of rolling stock and so I'll be looking them up online over the next few days to see what engines could be seen with them and then make somewhat realistic formations from there. It's run around the layout with Smokey Joe and the Class 33 so far so that's something I suppose :) It's really detailed without being fragile or delicate and it negotiates all trackwork perfectly.

I also guess these can be considered the advent calendar engines for the 23rd, 24th, 25th, and today (26th) (apart from the snowplough obviously). My plan was always to continue this to the end of December, as I have enough engines to do so, so I might as well carry on until the 31st. I've done a quick count of my engines and I'll be able to do one engine a day until the 31st, when I'll end the year with a few just to finish it off (the year and this advent calendar!).

Once again, I hope you all had a very lovely Christmas - let's see what 2021 brings... ;)

-Peter

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Nice models. So you wouldn't recommend a Dapol 121? I see they have Railtrack and Loadhaul ones going cheap... I've been considering a Hornby 153 for some time, but knew it was an older model so wasn't sure how well it ran, what's your opinion on its running characteristics?

I like the plough a lot too.

Status
Not open for further replies.