• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Class 40 has a £20 bid. Probably worth c £40-60
I probably won't be able to bid but it'll be interesting to see how much it goes for. eBay prices seem to be going up and up over lockdown(s) so it's harder to get a good deal now!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Today was MU operating day, with all units completing their laps of each loop not previously completed. Quality operational testing was also undertaken.

Issue 1 - many southern units 3rd rail shoes clash with my older Peco power connectors on the down lines. Pair removed from down relief and operating restriction applied for the down main pair.

The class 466, which would not move yesterday was due to a Multimaus programming error on it's ID. Once corrected, it did 1 lap of each loop.

The class 403 & 416 often fail to stop when instructed to do so requiring the emergency stop button. Not good. The class 423 was also not running well today.

A list of split pick up locos & 1 unit (class 110) have been identified. The capacitor / stay alive solution will be tested in the already fitted Class 59. If it works, the 2x Lima 43 power cars, 56, 60 & 92 will be fitted first.

The class 110 is expected to be my next departure on eBay. The split pick up unit is a very good quality model but based in the North Pennines outside of my modelling interest. I shall convert it back to DC first, which is very easy.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Today was MU operating day, with all units completing their laps of each loop not previously completed. Quality operational testing was also undertaken.

Issue 1 - many southern units 3rd rail shoes clash with my older Peco power connectors on the down lines. Pair removed from down relief and operating restriction applied for the down main pair.

The class 466, which would not move yesterday was due to a Multimaus programming error on it's ID. Once corrected, it did 1 lap of each loop.

The class 403 & 416 often fail to stop when instructed to do so requiring the emergency stop button. Not good. The class 423 was also not running well today.

A list of split pick up locos & 1 unit (class 110) have been identified. The capacitor / stay alive solution will be tested in the already fitted Class 59. If it works, the 2x Lima 43 power cars, 56, 60 & 92 will be fitted first.

The class 110 is expected to be my next departure on eBay. The split pick up unit is a very good quality model but based in the North Pennines outside of my modelling interest. I shall convert it back to DC first, which is very easy.

Out of all the different manufacturers are you finding any that are causing less problems than others?

reddragon

Established Member
Out of all the different manufacturers are you finding any that are causing less problems than others?
Lima

Heljan - shorts old points
New Hornby - jerky on DCC & sometimes do not respond (5-BEL) - HST is fine though exc shorts points. 5BEL also has a wiring error on lights & 395 is a lemon!
Old Hornby - jerky on DCC, power gap issues
mainline - fragile & temperamental
Dapol - fine
Hattons - shorts points
Bachmann - some a bit fussy, newer ones a lot better - EPB doesn't always respond to stopping. All have lighting issues.

Lima, Lima, Lima rule supreme & trouble free!

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lima

New Hornby - jerky on DCC & sometimes do not respond (5-BEL) - HST is fine though exc shorts points. 5BEL also has a wiring error on lights & 395 is a lemon!
Dapol - fine
Hattons - shorts points
Bachmann - some a bit fussy, newer ones a lot better - EPB doesn't always respond to stopping. All have lighting issues.

That’s really interesting. Thanks for that.

Peter C

Established Member
Lima

Dapol - fine
Hattons - shorts points

I'd agree with you there for the Hornby, Mainline, Dapol, Lima, and Bachmann ones - I've not got any Heljan or Hattons engines to speak from experience about :)
I did have an issue with the Dapol Class 121, but my Class 68 works brilliantly. I don't think I've ever had a major issue with a Lima engine - at least not to the extent that some of my other engines have failed.

My loco champion of 40 years, winner of most categories despite age

View attachment 92930
Brilliant - a proper WR machine. I might look into getting one of those then - I assume it's a Lima one?

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I'd agree with you there for the Hornby, Mainline, Dapol, Lima, and Bachmann ones - I've not got any Heljan or Hattons engines to speak from experience about :)
I did have an issue with the Dapol Class 121, but my Class 68 works brilliantly. I don't think I've ever had a major issue with a Lima engine - at least not to the extent that some of my other engines have failed.

Brilliant - a proper WR machine. I might look into getting one of those then - I assume it's a Lima one?

-Peter
Their Class 52 has always been their master machine, well weighted, large wheels & solid.

The Deltic / class 50 had small wheels & not so good (but roar loudly), class 33 not their best as the oldest model.
The rest like the 31, 37, 40, 42, 73 & 87 are good, 60 not quite as much but wow the class 59 too is great

On my old railway the class 52 was fast, hauled the heaviest trains at speed, was controllable, reliable.

Newer locos that are good - Dapol 52 (like the 68); Hornby HST; Bachmann 411/450/491

The Heljan Garratt misses out simply due to shorting points & derailing sometimes. The Hattons 66 wobbles a bit, shorts points at slow speed and steps break off when you lift the body to chip it!

Peter C

Established Member
Their Class 52 has always been their master machine, well weighted, large wheels & solid.

The Deltic / class 50 had small wheels & not so good (but roar loudly), class 33 not their best as the oldest model.
The rest like the 31, 37, 40, 42, 73 & 87 are good, 60 not quite as much but wow the class 59 too is great
In my experience, Lima locos do perform very well. The Class 33 you gave me has proven to be one of the better engines in the DCC fleet for testing track and stuff - only issue is I don't know how I'm going to paint it! :)
I also like the Lima Deltics - though probably more because of the real thing rather than the model.

On my old railway the class 52 was fast, hauled the heaviest trains at speed, was controllable, reliable.
Sounds like quite the loco then! I've just found some on eBay for some good prices so they're going on the 'wanted' list.

The Heljan Garratt misses out simply due to shorting points & derailing sometimes. The Hattons 66 wobbles a bit, shorts points at slow speed and steps break off when you lift the body to chip it!
The main issue which made me think against getting the Hattons 66 was the axle cover things falling off and the wobble - I'm quite simple really so the Hornby one was good enough; especially with sound as the empty space in the engine means the sound's really loud and much better than just a tinny speaker by itself.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
My fleet renewal programme has 4 new locos on pre-order, resulting in the retirement of older locos. Delivery is from 2021 Q2 to 2022 Q2.

Hit list in order - Hornby Class 110; Hornby Class 86; Hornby Class 24 with DCC remaining.

15 locos; 8 MUs on wanted list which would put more older locos at risk

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My fleet renewal programme has 4 new locos on pre-order, resulting in the retirement of older locos. Delivery is from 2021 Q2 to 2022 Q2.

Hit list in order - Hornby Class 110; Hornby Class 86; Hornby Class 24with DCC remaining.

15 locos; 8 MUs on wanted list which would put more older locos at risk

Did you mean class 25 (looks like a 24 but with headcode boxes)?

reddragon

Established Member
Did you mean class 25 (looks like a 24 but with headcode boxes)?
No it is a 24 converted from a 25 by me in the 1980's when I had the patience, eyesight & time.

1616702758460.png

##################

Thursday

I tried my Lima class 59 across the section gap as it has stay alive and it works fine. I will convert 5 more soon. (5 now ordered from TMC)

My final? box of tracks arrived today. I have already laid a few length in sidings before now settling into a series of meetings :(

Just need to complete the western approaches to P9/10 & lots more sidings :)

##################

Friday

P9 is now connected up to the down relief and once dry I just need to power one piece of track.

Meanwhile, another siding was laid. In all, 2 sidings need power on one track

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I like the 24. I see you’ve removed the horn parts to do that and created quite a niche model.
Any chance of some photos of the new trackwork?

reddragon

Established Member
I like the 24. I see you’ve removed the horn parts to do that and created quite a niche model.
Any chance of some photos of the new trackwork?

Like always when I work in an area, it is covered with weights holding the track down until I finish, so expect photos tomorrow :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Like always when I work in an area, it is covered with weights holding the track down until I finish, so expect photos tomorrow :)
Ok great. :)

reddragon

Established Member
Well done. Those double slips are expensive aren’t they?
I had one from my old railway and got 2 from eBay.

Just having to learn to use lots of insulated joiners & separate powered sections for DCC - just remembered I forgot an insulated break between sections on P9 - oops, another job to do!

Only my class 40 left on eBay now.

Peter C

Established Member
##################

Thursday

I tried my Lima class 59 across the section gap as it has stay alive and it works fine. I will convert 5 more soon. (5 now ordered from TMC)

My final? box of tracks arrived today. I have already laid a few length in sidings before now settling into a series of meetings :(

Just need to complete the western approaches to P9/10 & lots more sidings :)

##################

Friday

P9 is now connected up to the down relief and once dry I just need to power one piece of track.

Meanwhile, another siding was laid. In all, 2 sidings need power on one track
Sounds as though you've got a lot done then @reddragon - I really enjoy reading about your layout coming together. Meetings interrupting railways isn't unheard of in the current climate I expect!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
The western approach with P9 / 10 connected to the down relief taken from the station. The locos top left are where the loco shed will be.

1616858624772.png

From the down end. You can see better here the various sidings that can store MUs or locos. The Class 416 is on the down relief.

1616858709655.png

Peter C

Established Member
The western approach with P9 / 10 connected to the down relief taken from the station. The locos top left are where the loco shed will be.

View attachment 93150

From the down end. You can see better here the various sidings that can store MUs or locos. The Class 416 is on the down relief.

View attachment 93151
Wow - that all looks really cool. I like the amount of track you've got!

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Up to £31 now
Just saw that. I can't bid but I'll be keeping an eye on it to see how much it goes for; I only noticed today that I think that was the Class 40 I rode behind on the SVR at one of their Diesel Galas actually.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

View attachment 93150

View attachment 93151

This looks amazing. There’s enough work to do here to keep you going until retirement!

reddragon

Established Member
For reasons unknown, my DCC kept shorting. Tried all sorts but it seems to be down to my Dapol MCAs, well 2 of them anyway!

Once removed from the rake, P9/10 tracks duly tested with 4 trains

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For reasons unknown, my DCC kept shorting. Tried all sorts but it seems to be down to my Dapol MCAs, well 2 of them anyway!

Once removed from the rake, P9/10 tracks duly tested with 4 trains

There is a bit of me that misses analogue sometimes...

reddragon

Established Member
My Lima Class 59 has just been running on the Down Main Line hauling a 17 coach train. Its stay alive makes it a really smooth runner so no jerking that long rake!

See Lima rules OK!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My Lima Class 59 has just been running on the Down Main Line hauling a 17 coach train. Its stay alive makes it a really smooth runner so no jerking that long rake!

See Lima rules OK!

17 coaches! Has it got extra weight in it?

reddragon

Established Member
17 coaches! Has it got extra weight in it?
Standard Loco, no extra weight!

#update#

I have tried some more locos on the 17 coach train

Passed - Hornby 24,25,86,92; Lima 37,52,59,60,73; Mainline 56

Failed - Lima 31 (12); 50 (5); Mainline 42 (9)

Some unexpected results!

#update 2 #

My Southern Suburban station is now called

1617046789016.png
Combination of Effingham Junction & Tattenham Corner! Oldest sons idea

Last edited: