• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

reddragon

Established Member
That sounds very unlike Hattons. Whenever I've needed to contact them they've been really good - I expect they're just trying to cope with so many orders and the delayed delivery times with lockdowns etc. Peco flexitrack is definitely a valuable commodity at the moment :D

-Peter
TMC have plenty in stock :)

Some good bargains in their sale too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
TMC have plenty in stock :)

Some good bargains in their sale too!

Ah - Peco must have started up again. I remember in the first lockdown when people were searching everywhere for flexitrack; I expect some small model shops had never seen so many orders!
Thanks for that TMC link: I've just been looking and seen some things I'd like to get... :)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Significant track work is under way today!

So far the down main has been connected to the up main via the transfer siding and the up main has been extended as far as the viaduct! No pics yet as the track is held down.

Updates to follow!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Significant track work is under way today!

So far the down main has been connected to the up main via the transfer siding and the up main has been extended as far as the viaduct! No pics yet as the track is held down.

Updates to follow!

It must be a warm day in loft land... :)

reddragon

Established Member
Did the track from Hattons turn up?
Nope, I ended up cancelling and getting them from TMC

Just extended the up main across the viaduct and into Lemmington Grizzy Station. The reveal will be tomorrow!

Also wired up the west end of the down platforms. Rapid action!!

Saturday update 1

This is my western approach at the start of the day. Since I have connected from the Western to the next point along.

1615028864768.png

The up main to the viaduct

1615028976985.png

Across the viaduct

1615029016597.png

to the new station site

1615029051431.png

I have now completed the up main loop and have wired it up.

I still need to wire up the Up Main to Down Main transfer sidings.

Next after testing :) its extending the down main to the crossovers below

1615029202827.png

And then completing the down relief loop. After that the P9/10 tracks; down main loop and then sidings. The eastern approach needs remodelling now the wall has gone & insulators added.

My Mrs Demi Moore provided tea as it was a bit chilly up there!

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
Nope, I ended up cancelling and getting them from TMC

Just extended the up main across the viaduct and into Lemmington Grizzy Station. The reveal will be tomorrow!

Also wired up the west end of the down platforms. Rapid action!!

Saturday update 1

This is my western approach at the start of the day. Since I have connected from the Western to the next point along.

View attachment 91949

The up main to the viaduct

View attachment 91950

Across the viaduct

View attachment 91951

to the new station site

View attachment 91952

I have now completed the up main loop and have wired it up.

I still need to wire up the Up Main to Down Main transfer sidings.

Next after testing :) its extending the down main to the crossovers below

View attachment 91953

And then completing the down relief loop. After that the P9/10 tracks; down main loop and then sidings. The eastern approach needs remodelling now the wall has gone & insulators added.

My Mrs Demi Moore provided tea as it was a bit chilly up there!
Brilliant work there @reddragon - it's amazing how quickly it's all coming together now. apologies if you've said before but how are you going to fix the track down: glue or pins? Everyone seems to have a different way of doing things!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Brilliant work there @reddragon - it's amazing how quickly it's all coming together now. apologies if you've said before but how are you going to fix the track down: glue or pins? Everyone seems to have a different way of doing things!

-Peter
I am using diluted PVA, enough to hold it in place, but still able to be lifted without damage if needed pending ballast

Peter C

Established Member
I am using diluted PVA, enough to hold it in place, but still able to be lifted without damage if needed pending ballast
Cool. I expect the ballast will do a fair bit to hold the track in place too, once ballasted.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Really good work @reddragon. Some serious progress happening here.
Good to see Mrs DM supplying tea. Much needed for the thought process I find.

It’s all looking superb and you have some wonderful sweeps and curves there which really lend themselves to long passenger and goods trains. Keep up the good work!

reddragon

Established Member
I managed to runs a few trains around the up main loop successfully before my son arrived & decided to start off a train against the points which caused a short. Still not resolved so tomorrow I need to trace it.

More pics tomorrow along with track laying on the down loop :)

It’s all looking superb and you have some wonderful sweeps and curves there which really lend themselves to long passenger and goods trains. Keep up the good work!
I have built the line for full main line operating speeds hence the more life like sweeping curves. When running 8 trains on 4 loops, I am not looking to have to keep slowing one down for a tight bit. At slow enough speed I can do 4 trains on 1 loop, but normally I'll go for 1 train per loop. Not easy with 1 controller & crashes could be expensive!!

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looking forward to some photos today... ;)

reddragon

Established Member
My western approach developing. The track 7/8 connection is close to connecting to the down fast out

1615120297573.png

The up main

1615120342813.png

The transition curves

1615120375452.png

The down main has now crossed the viaduct, so 3 tracks over it but the sunshine beckons until later!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looking very good.
Now who makes a 00 gauge working autoballaster..?

reddragon

Established Member
Looking very good.
Now who makes a 00 gauge working autoballaster..?
I know one who lives in Devon with Demi Moore who'd love to ballast ;) in exchange for some serious driving!

OK, Sunday progress - short found (a point) & cables temporarily disconnected

The western approach has been completed for the down main to the cross over points to the down relief, just the down relief tracks to go in next. (and sidings)

1615136977288.png

The end points

1615137002600.png

The down relief crossing the viaduct (not actually as wobbly as it looks!)

1615137035056.png

The down relief has now reached the down point of Lemmington Grizzy one way and one track length beyond the main station head point the other. 10m to go!

Incidentally, the 41.5m loop equates to 3.2km OO scale, 2 miles :)

Next is the completion of the down relief loop and the western approaches to platforms 9/10. Lots of wiring too!

Peter C

Established Member
Brilliant work again @reddragon - it's really interesting to see the layout develop at the rate it is. Two scale miles is pretty good!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Working today but was able to lay 2 lengths in a break through Lemmington Grizzy Station and add a power connector.

Decided to do a test run but my Android pad decided to play dead! Used the controller instead !

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Working today but was able to lay 2 lengths in a break through Lemmington Grizzy Station and add a power connector.

Decided to do a test run but my Android pad decided to play dead! Used the controller instead !

Nice. I’ve just been tinkering around with one of my new bits.
You could easily spend far too much spare time doing stuff on the railway!

reddragon

Established Member
I laid a few lengths today on the down relief - 3 lengths & a point to go and 1 on the down main, plus powered them both up from one end (2 more CNs needed for DR)

Ordered another Multimaus & loaded Z21 onto my mobile since pad died!

Tried programming my chip in the class 491 today. Nope! The problem with non powered chipped vehicles!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I laid a few lengths today on the down relief - 3 lengths & a point to go and 1 on the down main, plus powered them both up from one end (2 more CNs needed for DR)

Ordered another Multimaus & loaded Z21 onto my mobile since pad died!

Tried programming my chip in the class 491 today. Nope! The problem with non powered chipped vehicles!

I had to do a bit of head scratching doing my various DMU cars. In the end I programmed them with separate addresses and added some weight to one of them.

reddragon

Established Member
Day off today!

Loop 3 - the down relief is done and mostly wired up. 1 gap to power & 2 defective? points. Transfer siding / line powered up too.

P9 track now 1 point / 1 length apart to complete. P10 link not started

Down main extended both ends but I doubt I have enough track to finish it.

Class 491 DCC coded by putting chip in a powered unit & transferring. Class 416 DCC fitted too.

I should be able to take some pics later!

Update with pics

This is the down relief

1615393883537.png 1615393906414.png

The down main western approach - 1 power gap to fill

1615393954153.png

Inner approach - the points just above L & R of the Western have dead spots to be resolved

1615394003335.png

The DR loop has now been tested by 3 trains

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent. I’ve decided to utilise your PVA method for sticking the track down in my fiddle yard. Did you say that you diluted it and poured it on the sleepers?

reddragon

Established Member
Excellent. I’ve decided to utilise your PVA method for sticking the track down in my fiddle yard. Did you say that you diluted it and poured it on the sleepers?
This is decorators PVA, dilute liquid PVA in an easy dispenser.

Now run out I top it up with this sort of stuff diluted & shaken (not stirred) to paint like liquid

Costs little, lets me lay 10m a go, sets in 2 hours. Ignore the various descriptions, just get the cheapest PVA admix, primer, whatever as they are already diluted almost enough

All of my wiring is with this stuff

MUCH cheaper than Peco

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is decorators PVA, dilute liquid PVA in an easy dispenser.

Now run out I top it up with this sort of stuff diluted & shaken (not stirred) to paint like liquid

Costs little, lets me lay 10m a go, sets in 2 hours. Ignore the various descriptions, just get the cheapest PVA admix, primer, whatever as they are already diluted almost enough

All of my wiring is with this stuff

MUCH cheaper than Peco

I’ve always got loads of PVA (I’m a decorator), I’ll give it a go over the weekend I think. Normally I spot glue the track with superglue and then the ballast holds it in place, but obviously there’s no ballast in the fiddle yard and noticed that one bit of flexi track had kinked earlier.

reddragon

Established Member
I've been extending the down main loop and now I've reached a quandary!

I have enough track to: -

a) - finish the down main loop

-OR-

b) - connect up P9/10 and do some sidings.

Almost worth a poll!

Suggestions on a postcard!!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

-OR-

Almost worth a poll!

I think if it was me I’d probably want to get the loops done as I’d already be in the zone to do it plus it’s a job finished.
What do you feel like doing?

reddragon

Established Member
I think if it was me I’d probably want to get the loops done as I’d already be in the zone to do it plus it’s a job finished.
What do you feel like doing?
I'm edging towards the 4th loop and using temp old tracks for sidings until I can get another box

Peter C

Established Member

-OR-

Almost worth a poll!

I'd agree with @Cowley in that I'd want to get the loop finished: in my case mainly so I could run more trains around when working on other bits of the layout. :)

-Peter