• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can reasonably run a pair on each circuit, so 8, one on each suburban line and shunt in sidings so 12 in total.

Only have 3 controllers and 1 me!

This is a bit of a problem with mine actually. I’ve got two controllers for my single line with passing loops but I can’t reach or see everything at the same time.
Mind you Mrs C makes a good second operator when needed. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
Once a year, just after Xmas there is a small window for mad bargains!
This time from Bachmann. 6 screws to remove the body to DCC fit versus 4 clips for a Heljan!

Thunderbirds are go!

1641670228839.png

Established Member
This time from Bachmann. 6 screws to remove the body to DCC fit versus 4 clips for a Heljan!

Thunderbirds are go!

View attachment 108418
Very nice!
Electricity ;)

I have a Virgin Class 220 it could pair with ???
A full 9 or 11 coach 390 :lol:

A quick look at flicker does show a couple of images of them dragging voyagers. They have also worked on mk2 services, charters and have probably ended up on the ATW Holyhead - Cardiff loco hauled service when that was a class 57.

Peter C

Established Member

Thunderbirds are go!

View attachment 108418
That looks like a very nice model. I assume it's got the fancy coupling at the ends and everything? (Dellner couplings?)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
That looks like a very nice model. I assume it's got the fancy coupling at the ends and everything? (Dellner couplings?)

-Peter
This earlier batch didn't

I do have another unexpected bargain on the way too, reveal on Friday hopefully!

reddragon

Established Member
I have an arrival, another bargain brand new off eBay. I did want Compass livery but this price was amazing. DCC fitted as new, I've run it in and tested it. An amazing loco!

Dapol 68026

1642071561188.png

One of my pre-orders has also arrived in the UK, maybe available to show off next week! All I need is the eBay sellers discount to arrive.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have an arrival, another bargain brand new off eBay. I did want Compass livery but this price was amazing. DCC fitted as new, I've run it in and tested it. An amazing loco!

Dapol 68026

View attachment 108684

One of my pre-orders has also arrived in the UK, maybe available to show off next week! All I need is the eBay sellers discount to arrive.

That, is a very nice thing…

Peter C

Established Member

Dapol 68026

View attachment 108684

The Dapol 68s are wonderful models. Loads of detail, plenty of weight, and they run really, really nicely too. A friend pointed out to me at some point that you can remove that grey/silver box thing (the bit with the exhausts, I assume you'd call it - it's not steam so I've no clue :lol:) to gain access to some switches for the lights, if you wanted to change which ones come on at different times. I can't remember which ones do what functions but it describes it on one of the sheets in the box.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
This weekend I listed my Lima 37, 50 & D1071, my last locos that cannot cross over section gaps. A bit of my 1 in 1 out policy

D1071 sold very quickly, having been replaced by my green D1037. D1037 is being a great runner, albeit no lights fitted!
The class 50 has just sold its place taken by 57301. 57301 isn't running too well, I think it must need oiling or something!
The 37 goes live at 8pm on Auction! Its place taken by 68026. Wow 68026 is a decent loco.

I have 3 more on the hit list as I have an arrival expected this month and in March, plus any more purchases!

Established Member

Dapol 68026

View attachment 108684

They are brilliant models.
The Dapol 68s are wonderful models. Loads of detail, plenty of weight, and they run really, really nicely too. A friend pointed out to me at some point that you can remove that grey/silver box thing (the bit with the exhausts, I assume you'd call it - it's not steam so I've no clue :lol:) to gain access to some switches for the lights, if you wanted to change which ones come on at different times. I can't remember which ones do what functions but it describes it on one of the sheets in the box.

-Peter
Never knew that but then again never looked!

reddragon

Established Member
Lima D1071 and 50043 have departed for their new railways. My Lima fleet is now down to 10 with more to go this year. Still 42 powered vehicles in service!

But! Oops I did it again, another new loco on the way! Oh no, what will it be this time?

Peter C

Established Member
Never knew that but then again never looked!
I can't remember if there was a way of setting it so that the 'halo' lights would come on even without having a decoder which would allow you to do that with the functions (if that makes any sense) - I seem to remember there was a switch which would do it but it was really hard to get to without removing the bodyshell.

Lima D1071 and 50043 have departed for their new railways. My Lima fleet is now down to 10 with more to go this year. Still 42 powered vehicles in service!

But! Oops I did it again, another new loco on the way! Oh no, what will it be this time?
Oh dear @reddragon - you are really very good at keeping us guessing. My guess is for GWR steam... ;)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
My new loco has arrived but is still in its box, awaiting some warmth in the loft . . . .

@Peter C whilst you might be reading my mind, you have missed my actions!

I have just cancelled one of my pre-orders. I will be fined a 10% admin fee but minds change and not all manufacturers / shops are generous! It does affect my odds of buying from them again though.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My new loco has arrived but is still in its box, awaiting some warmth in the loft . . . .

@Peter C whilst you might be reading my mind, you have missed my actions!

I have just cancelled one of my pre-orders. I will be fined a 10% admin fee but minds change and not all manufacturers / shops are generous! It does affect my odds of buying from them again though.

Hmm. Knowing your liking for unusual prototypes I’m wondering if it’s steam with a high pressure boiler, very big, LNER and made by Hornby…

reddragon

Established Member
Hmm. Knowing your liking for unusual prototypes I’m wondering if it’s steam with a high pressure boiler, very big, LNER and made by Hornby…
All the news here as it happens but not before :)

#######################

I have spent a while changing CV values on 6 locos. Some had some odd CV29 values that I have simplified. I am also changing a few to long IDs, I did D1037 today changing it from 50 to 1037. I have a CV table listing the critical values of my locos.

I have fitted my latest arrival with a spare Rails chip and set it to ID 1000.

1642608535198.png

1642608591709.png

1642608622493.png

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
All the news here as it happens but not before :)

#######################

I have spent a while changing CV values on 6 locos. Some had some odd CV29 values that I have simplified. I am also changing a few to long IDs, I did D1037 today changing it from 50 to 1037. I have a CV table listing the critical values of my locos.

I have fitted my latest arrival with a spare Rails chip and set it to ID 1000.

View attachment 108995

View attachment 108996

View attachment 108997

That’s very nice. One of my Farish 31s runs very slowly and I think it’s in need of a cv settings change.
It’s got next 18 chip but I’m not quite sure what I need to set the high one to?

reddragon

Established Member
That’s very nice. One of my Farish 31s runs very slowly and I think it’s in need of a cv settings change.
It’s got next 18 chip but I’m not quite sure what I need to set the high one to?
I have a 70 that starts off / stops rapidly, no slow speed control. Hopefully my CV values review will help

I have just cancelled my order for the Hornby LNER Garter Blue 10000 as the price increase from Hornby put it into DCC Sound territory so nope! £220-240 for a basic DCC ready loco? nope!

Also cancelled my KR Models Leader 36001. No longer fitted what I wanted with delivery dates going endlessly back, now 2023. KR Models have been very difficult about it charging me a 10% admin fee and so far only doing a partial refund!

I do have something new in the post, another absolute bargain (compared with what is charged elsewhere for it not versus what it should cost)

################# Sunday

Some coaching stock arrived with odd couplings!

1642954739320.png

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
################# Sunday

Some coaching stock arrived with odd couplings!

View attachment 109187
Now those do look very nice - and actually at an alright price for once! I'm blaming you if my bank account takes a hit in the next few days... ;)
I don't have a new Hornby HST power car pair, but I believe they use those European-style couplings. Not 100% sure why (closer coupling?), but what I've done is have it so that the coaches are connected between themselves with those ones and then at each end of the rake, where they'd connect to the power cars, they have the more-traditional type.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Now those do look very nice - and actually at an alright price for once! I'm blaming you if my bank account takes a hit in the next few days... ;)
I don't have a new Hornby HST power car pair, but I believe they use those European-style couplings. Not 100% sure why (closer coupling?), but what I've done is have it so that the coaches are connected between themselves with those ones and then at each end of the rake, where they'd connect to the power cars, they have the more-traditional type.

-Peter
Chester Model Centre, only 3 they did

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s a great price for those @reddragon. Some coaches are getting up near £60 these days which is insanity.

Peter C

Established Member
Chester Model Centre, only 3 they did
Just had a look and two of them are the same coach letter as two of the GWR ones I've already got - of course they would be :lol:
Although I might go for them at some point and renumber them to cut some of the time in making my FGW HST set...

Power cars :)
EDIT: As a slight aside, it's nice to see that site selling some of the Hornby 66s at their pre-price increase prices. Actually they seem to be on a tiny discount - £74.25 instead of the £75 RRP originally asked for them!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Some loads for my NR IOAs

1643027867950.png

and my MJAs

1643027904749.png

plus my new arrivals for FGW HSTs, a complete bargain and paid for by cancelling 2 steam loco orders!

1643027956158.png
1643027980600.png
1643028011939.png

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very nice. You’ve got one hell of a fleet there. Are you going to need to train another operator up?