• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Name the town...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waddon

Alright, how about this - the station in this town has a total of 6 platform faces. The centre two platforms, which are the least used, are accessed by an overbridge, whilst the other four are accessed by a subway. Apart from staff and emergency access, there is no direct passenger route between the centre platforms and the outer ones without passing through ticket barriers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
I am a town with four stations, three of which bear my name. However, the 'main' (i.e. most central and with most frequent services) station is the one that doesn't. This station is underground and also a junction. The lines are electrified and there are 12 trains per hour in each direction.

Ivo

Established Member
[This is my first Post, so... Hi! If I'm supposed to introduce myself alternately, could anyone explain please?]

Right, to answer...

Birkenhead?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My own poser:

I'm a town with three railway stations. The suburban stations are far older than the central one. The western one has three platforms, the middle of which is used for terminating services (though a through platform). The eastern one has four platforms, two on each of two different lines which merge immediately to the east, and a fifth which is derelict. Only the central station bears my name.

4SRKT

Established Member
Birkenhead is right and I think the answer to yours is Basildon.

4SRKT

Established Member
I think that was quite hard TBF. It took me a lot of thinking. It was the description of Pitsea that clinched it, otherwise I'd never have got it. Once I'd checked in table 1 that some trains terminate at Laindon I was fairly certain. Never knew that Laindon had three platforms though. I've only ever been on the LT&S once in about 1987, and then I just went Fenchurch St > Shoeburyness > Southend Central before walking to Victoria to head back to Liverpool St.
OK, I'm a town with one station, although a nearby town and station also contain my name. The station is the terminus of a short branch, with a basic service of two trains per hour, one just to the main line junction, and the other beyond.

Ivo

Established Member
I'm a medium-sized town with only one station, situated on an InterCity route, though I see only limited IC service. My station has four platforms, two of which are branch-line platforms (though one such line closed under Dr. Beeching); that platform is now a little-used terminating platform. The line through my station is electrified using the 25kV overhead method.

4SRKT

Established Member
Manningtree?
No, almost all IC services call at Manningtree. Witham?

Ivo

Established Member
No, but you're close. Manningtree has one IC service every hour, plus the odd extra one. This station has only early morning and late evening services. To effectively give it away, head towards London on that very line.

My next one won't be in Essex, I promise!

EDIT: Sorry. I didn't notice that you posted an alternate answer. Witham was correct.

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
<<<<< See my previous post #195.
Off to bed now, but here's an easy one. Town has two stations, the main one bears the town's name and has a very unusual layout. The secondary one is in a UNESCO world heritage site. 25 kV AC electrification throughout.

Death

Established Member
Off to bed now, but here's an easy one. Town has two stations, the main one bears the town's name and has a very unusual layout. The secondary one is in a UNESCO world heritage site. 25 kV AC electrification throughout.
Complete stab in the dark, this one...But might that happen to be Crewe? The sheds and works there easily class as a heritage site (UNESCO, TESCO or otherwise! :lol:) and - In it's heyday - Crewe had the most complex and difficult to learn layout of any station in the World! :shock:

4SRKT

Established Member
Not Crewe. The main station has 2 direct services to London per day, otherwise a frequent service of electric local trains to 4 different destinations. There are 4 trains per hour to the secondary station. Sprinter operated workings on a longer distance secondary line also stop at the main station only.

It's not really a complex layout like Crewe, but an unusual one.

4SRKT

Established Member
Skipton only has one train to London, and is a straightforward through station. Very close geographically tho...

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
No wonder it was "easy"...

I'm one of the country's smallest settlements to have more than one station. In fact, I'm a village, although admittedly quite a large one. The older station bears only my name, while the one nearer the local major town/city is barely 20 years old. I have two trains an hour each way, plus two that storm through. My main station is famed for having one of those non-stopping services call once a day, each way, for the benefit of the nearby high school. The line electrified using the third-rail system, and is "lucky" enough to see one XC service each way run through without stopping as well.

4SRKT

Established Member
No wonder it was "easy"...

I'm one of the country's smallest settlements to have more than one station. In fact, I'm a village, although admittedly quite a large one. The older station bears only my name, while the one nearer the local major town/city is barely 20 years old. I have two trains an hour each way, plus two that storm through. My main station is famed for having one of those non-stopping services call once a day, each way, for the benefit of the nearby high school. The line electrified using the third-rail system, and is "lucky" enough to see one XC service each way run through without stopping as well.

I guess I thought it was easy 'cos I live there! Still, there is a large clue to the left of every post I make!

Winnersh.

4SRKT

Established Member
I am a small town whose station is an important junction on a main line. However the main line bypasses the station itself, although some Inter City trains do call.

Ivo

Established Member
My initial reaction was, "What?!" However, that sounds like Westbury.

..I'm going to get banned from this game at this rate aren't I? :)

4SRKT

Established Member
Westbury is the answer!

You're unlikely to get banned 'cos you keep the questions coming at a furious pace, which is exactly what the thread needs!

Status
Not open for further replies.