• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express Coaches Discussion

route101

Established Member
National Express have stopped serving Winchester too. Might return and use the Park and Ride sites.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt_splat

Reading what people have to say about lost services I know in some areas a lot of people use to comment they didn't provide enough time in London for a day or people were not aware of them, one example the 403 which extended beyond bath.

Being a former employee one thing I found frustrating was the fact people who communicate with the passengers were just not listened too.

One example over crowding of services between Taunton and Bridgwater when Bristol could be used to connect people between coaches

I believe that currently in the evening the 502 and 101 service follow each other from Bristol to Taunton with in 5 minutes of each other.

People still request coaches to Oxford pre covid the 302 service saw a lot of growth but they have not returned

The other one still years on in Bristol was the need need a direct service towards the south coast the 103 has been under used due the the timings compared to the old 333 and 300.

The 300 drivers use to regularly depot big return on the day sales between Portsmouth Southampton to Salisbury and Bath these links have now gone.

The 103 fails because it doesn't serve the points in between that make Bristol to the south coast work such as Yeovil and Weymouth.

Also it's amazing the number of people that don't like the fact the 1 coach run from say North Devon to Lincoln has become 3 coaches and a car kind of journey which will drive away the people who have kept faith in nx over the years

cambsy

On Moderation
Down my way in Devon, there has been quite a bit of reworking of the timetable, with places losing there service or cutback:

Plymouth
504 service, 06.30, 09.30 and 15.30 to London, 08.30, 13.30 and 18.00 From London.
404 Service, 23.10 to London, 23.00 from London.
406 service, 00.25 to London, 23.00 from London

Exeter
504 service, 07.40 and 09.40 to London, 13.30 and 18.00 from London.
501 service, 09.15 and 17.30 to London, 08.30 and15.30 from London.
404 service, 01.05 to London, 23.00 from London.
406 service, 02.00 to London, 23.00 from London.

Penzance
504 service, 05.15 and 11.10 to London, 08.30 and 13.30 from London.
406 service, 20.40 to London, 23.00 from London.
404 service now runs just from and to Plymouth.

Totnes
501 service, 07.30 and 15.45 to London and 08.30 and 15.30 from London.
404 service, 23.50 to London, 23.00 from London.

Taunton
502 service, 08.30 and 12.30 to London, 10.30 and 14.30 from London.
406 service, 0245 to London, 23.00 from London.

I couldn’t give rundown of all places in southwest affected by timetable changes, so picked a few major places to give idea of cutbacks etc, but one can see that some places have lost out quite a bit, like Penzance and Totnes, and though not shown Ivybridge as lost its service to London. On a good note, the 406 from London as had its service break moved to Taunton Deane, so should now be better on time Exeter, as sometimes drivers would Break at Taunton Deane, making it 30 mins plus late, at Exeter, I think these cutbacks are just for winter Months, and hopefully return, and expand again, in the Spring and Summer.

Last edited:

bussnapperwm

Established Member
To be fair I wouldn't be surprised if Dudley, Bearwood and Walsall got dumped, or simplified, on the network. Especially as those are served by NX Bus.

matt_splat

Down my way in Devon, there has been quite a bit of reworking of the timetable, with places losing there service or cutback:

Plymouth
504 service, 06.30, 09.30 and 15.30 to London, 08.30, 13.30 and 18.00 From London.
404 Service, 23.10 to London, 23.00 from London.
406 service, 00.25 to London, 23.00 from London

Exeter
504 service, 07.40 and 09.40 to London, 13.30 and 18.00 from London.
501 service, 09.15 and 17.30 to London, 08.30 and15.30 from London.
404 service, 01.05 to London, 23.00 from London.
406 service, 02.00 to London, 23.00 from London.

Penzance
504 service, 05.15 and 11.10 to London, 08.30 and 13.30 from London.
406 service, 20.40 to London, 23.00 from London.
404 service now runs just from and to Plymouth.

Totnes
501 service, 07.30 and 15.45 to London and 08.30 and 15.30 from London.
404 service, 23.50 to London, 23.00 from London.

Taunton
502 service, 08.30 and 12.30 to London, 10.30 and 14.30 from London.
406 service, 0245 to London, 23.00 from London.

I couldn’t give rundown of all places in southwest affected by timetable changes, so picked a few major places to give idea of cutbacks etc, but one can see that some places have lost out quite a bit, like Penzance and Totnes, and though not shown Ivybridge as lost its service to London. On a good note, the 406 from London as had its service break moved to Taunton Deane, so should now be better on time Exeter, as sometimes drivers would Break at Taunton Deane, making it 30 mins plus late, at Exeter, I think these cutbacks are just for winter Months, and hopefully return, and expand again, in the Spring and Summer.
I'm really surprised the 404 and 406 are still running in the old form, with the night 106 running one could have been cut to start in Plymouth run around the bay to Exeter and then fast to London while another could do cornwall to Plymouth then Exeter and then other stops up.

The 106 could then meet the service that is doing Plymouth to Exeter services and meet the coach that's gone around the bay to interchange passengers.

It can't be profitable to run 3 coaches out of cornwall following each other.

Smethwickian

Stroud, Tewkesbury and Worcester (city centre) also now off the network in the latest autumn schedule reductions affecting the 444/445 group of services. Many of these changes are being made at short notice, too, with many 'displaced' passengers receiving notice of cancelled or substantially altered journeys just two days before their trip, due to the backlog of amended tickets that have to be trawled through.

matt_splat

Stroud, Tewkesbury and Worcester (city centre) also now off the network in the latest autumn schedule reductions affecting the 444/445 group of services. Many of these changes are being made at short notice, too, with many 'displaced' passengers receiving notice of cancelled or substantially altered journeys just two days before their trip, due to the backlog of amended tickets that have to be trawled through.
This was always the way sometimes people would not he told at all.

I always find stops being cut amusing stroud use to be served by the 327 we use to regularly get bookings on the day and drivers use to regularly pick up passengers with out tickets in stroud to bring them back to Bristol

Yet because it didn't do well between Bristol and Birmingham it was binned which was a shame because it use to work well for stops between and people would use it

dan5324

On Moderation
National Express have stopped serving Winchester too. Might return and use the Park and Ride sites.
That’s due to the u turn they had to do. A few near collisions has deemed it unsafe. A new stop is being hunted. Nothing to do with anything else.

cambsy

On Moderation
The 040 service, operated by Edwards coaches, are using an ex Oxford city, Elite Interdeck, X90 APP, to evaluate them, for future use,from what driver said, its tied in with the possible National Express-Stagecoach takeover, and using them on Megabus services. But i might have some things wrong. As only had brief chat with driver.

Eyersey468

Established Member
The 040 service, operated by Edwards coaches, are using an ex Oxford city, Elite Interdeck, X90 APP, to evaluate them, for future use,from what driver said, its tied in with the possible National Express-Stagecoach takeover, and using them on Megabus services. But i might have some things wrong. As only had brief chat with driver.
I believe they are evaluating other vehicle designs. Some of it could be to find suitable replacements for the Levantes as I believe the contract with Caetano is ending soon and all operators have said they don't want Caetano bodied vehicles again due to very poor build quality.

cambsy

On Moderation
I’m not surprised, National Express are looking at other coach body builders, as Caetano bodied vehicles, are poor quality, driver yesterday was saying, how their 21 plate Levante Mk3’s, have so many electrical issues etc, and other problems, I think they look quite nice, but are plainly pretty rubbish, over the years ive never really heard good stuff from drivers, about the Caetanos.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I’m not surprised, National Express are looking at other coach body builders, as Caetano bodied vehicles, are poor quality, driver yesterday was saying, how their 21 plate Levante Mk3’s, have so many electrical issues etc, and other problems, I think they look quite nice, but are plainly pretty rubbish, over the years ive never really heard good stuff from drivers, about the Caetanos.
We have had a lot of issues with our Levante 3s as well although to be fair mechanically the Scanias are fine it's the poor quality bodywork that lets them down. That said whereas the lockers on Levante 2 leaked like a sieve the seals on Levante 3 are much better. Although the fact the coaches were parked up for nearly a year with the shutdowns etc can't have helped.

cambsy

On Moderation
From passenger perspective, the Levantes are quite nice travel on, but I’d happily see other coaches being used by National Express, what do you think would be a good replacement for them? From my experience on the M6 Megabus to London on Sat, on a 71 plate Yutong, they seem decent, but wether they would meet Nat Ex requirements, i dont know? And dont know if they do tri axle versions? .

Eyersey468

Established Member
From passenger perspective, the Levantes are quite nice travel on, but I’d happily see other coaches being used by National Express, what do you think would be a good replacement for them? From my experience on the M6 Megabus to London on Sat, on a 71 plate Yutong, they seem decent, but wether they would meet Nat Ex requirements, i dont know? And dont know if they do tri axle versions? .
I've no experience of Yutongs so can't comment on their suitability, what I do know is that operators have asked for Plaxton or Mercedes Benz.

cambsy

On Moderation
I think Plaxton would end up being chosen over Mercedes Benz Tourismo, as Megabus and some Nat Ex operators have experience with Plaxtons and Plaxtons are pretty good quality.

dan5324

On Moderation
nought to do with the operators. It’s Birmingham that have the final say. Operators can only provide feedback. From what Chris hardy is saying they are looking to renew their contract with caetano in providing hybrid/hydrogen coaches. God forbid.

The Elite Interdeck is on loan to provide cover whilst the Caetano Boa Vista return one-at-a-time to Portugal for rectification works.

cambsy

On Moderation
Oh ok, looks like Nat Ex, will pretty much always be with Cataeno Then? Be interesting see if that changes, with the Nat Ex take over of stagecoach.
I find Caetano coaches nice enough to travel on, but the reports from drivers are less than favourable.

Eyersey468

Established Member
nought to do with the operators. It’s Birmingham that have the final say. Operators can only provide feedback. From what Chris hardy is saying they are looking to renew their contract with caetano in providing hybrid/hydrogen coaches. God forbid.
God help us

cambsy

On Moderation
I dont know much about Hybrid/Hydrogen coaches etc,how do they work? And do they need to be well built etc? Could we see lots of problems and failures if made by an inferior bus builder like Caetano? Is the cheapness and shares in the company, the reason that Nat Ex have stuck with Cataeno for so long?.

dan5324

On Moderation
The coaches are built to a price. That’s it. They’ll go with the cheapest supplier because that’s the company they are really. And to a point I agree. National express clientele can be errrm rough shall we say? They don’t really deserve much better than a levante. Nothing is certain yet though. There was talk about Mercedes but that looks to be out the window now unfortunately.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I dont know much about Hybrid/Hydrogen coaches etc,how do they work? And do they need to be well built etc? Could we see lots of problems and failures if made by an inferior bus builder like Caetano? Is the cheapness and shares in the company, the reason that Nat Ex have stuck with Cataeno for so long?.
I have experience of hybrid buses but not coaches, given how poor Caetano build quality is I can see there being a lot of problems with any hybrid or hydrogen coaches they make. I believe NX has shares in Caetano which along with cost is probably why NX has stuck with them

cambsy

On Moderation
I like the fact that Megabus/MIT have gone for brand new Yutongs on the M6 route, as nice have variety in coach builders, and not just one builder, and design only, the Cataeno Mk3 look nice and are quite nice travel on, leather seats etc, but with the Yutongs, Megabus/MIT, have made a move towards more luxurious travel.

telstarbox

Established Member
It shows how skewed public transport is that the removal of the only public transport from Boston, Spalding, Skegness and Mablethorpe to London (as well as a useful link from those towns to the city of Hull) passes without much attention - whilst there's a lot of discussion about how poor old Bristol is "only" going to have direct trains to one London terminus (Paddington) with the removal of the handful of trains a day to Waterloo

If we were serious about "connecting Left Behind towns" and all of those other warm words that people chuck about like social mobility then there'd be outrage about these towns losing their only London service - but we seem resigned to a world where coach services have to sustain themselves commercially but train routes are deeply subsidised

Obviously this won't be the only such link that National Express will be removing (and I'm not commenting on how busy they are), but it seems to sum up our attitude to public transport - coach services wither and die because they are reliant upon "farebox" income whilst train services don't have the same commercial imperative (which is why most of the rail network will continue unchanged but National Express are forced to focus more on the routes that Megabus/ Flix compete on and abandon the routes to towns well beyond Britain's motorway network)

/rant

Maybe in those towns people have either given up on travelling or prefer to use some combination of driving and the ECML trains? Wages are going up at the moment so that could make the market less price sensitive.

Martin2012

Interestingly here in Bristol the 040 Bristol to London service currently has, in some ways a better level of service than prior to March 2020 with at least hourly frequency 7 days a week (previously it was up to 75 minutes mid week) and later last journeys from Bristol. My guess is that this has been due to the presence of Flixbus.

Is it possible that in order to plough resources into the routes that compete directly with Flixbus (eg Bristol, Birmingham and Leeds), the company has felt it necessary to cut back on what they might deem "less profitable" routes elsewhere?

Smethwickian

From 19 November, St Catherine's Park & Ride in Winchester to be served by many Southampton-London and Poole-Heathrow journeys. Another short-notice change buried away in the booking system if you happen by chance to try planning a journey but unpublicised anywhere and which, after months without a service, the good people of Winchester will probably be blissfully ignorant of. So in another few months NX will say 'no-one is using the service, it's being axed again'.

Mwanesh

From 19 November, St Catherine's Park & Ride in Winchester to be served by many Southampton-London and Poole-Heathrow journeys. Another short-notice change buried away in the booking system if you happen by chance to try planning a journey but unpublicised anywhere and which, after months without a service, the good people of Winchester will probably be blissfully ignorant of. So in another few months NX will say 'no-one is using the service, it's being axed again'.
The Winchester residents will know about. After the outcry when they were axed

route101

Established Member
The Winchester residents will know about. After the outcry when they were axed
Interesting, I have noted Winchester on the route calling points for service 032 when I was looking on NX website. Perhaps not been updated.

anthony263

Established Member
This was always the way sometimes people would not he told at all.

I always find stops being cut amusing stroud use to be served by the 327 we use to regularly get bookings on the day and drivers use to regularly pick up passengers with out tickets in stroud to bring them back to Bristol

Yet because it didn't do well between Bristol and Birmingham it was binned which was a shame because it use to work well for stops between and people would use it
I used to do the 327 between Birmingham and Bristol on Christmas eve when we covered it for east Yorkshire and they covered our run to Bradford from Birmingham.

It was always busy leaving Birmingham and we've usually had a good 15-25 passengers on when we pulled into Bristol.