• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NET Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallySleeper

Established Member
A lot of bunching on Sunday afternoon though not sure what the cause of this was, if it was due to a failed tram or something else.

Would be interested to hear if the Citadis are loosing time north of Wilko St as predicted.

Also, is anyone else a bit frustrated at having twice the number of onboard announcements. The new citadis have an auto PA system fitted which as also been retrofitted to the Bombardier trams. IMO one announcement per stop (not between) is sufficient.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Don2912

In todays Nottingham Post - 48 Tram construction workers sacked for being drunk or on drugs. hence why they are advertising for staff.....

They need to sack a few more for the same offence.
Last week, I was walking through Broadgate Park in Beeston, and there were two construction workers sat on the grass, smoking cannabis.
On another occasion (same place), I observed a group of them drinking lager from cans.

MCR247

Established Member
Quite a few were very close together earlier on in town. One was waiting at the signal at the bottom of the hill near the market square, one was at the Market Square stop and one was coming down the hill behind it.
The new ones are very nice, and I found the ride a lot better as well, especially over points. Would I be right in saying that these don't go as fast as the Incentros on the faster sections of the route? It felt like that anyway

CallySleeper

Established Member
Incentros are 80.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've heard that not only are they slower but the Citadis are also not as "responsive" as Incentros.

duffield

Established Member
Anyone know if there's a set date yet for the first test run over the station and down to the toll bridge (I read somewhere a few weeks ago that test running would start 'soon' on this section only, and I've seen yellow 'tram test warning' signs on this section; the overhead seems to be fully tensioned on this section and I'm sure I heard it humming with juice a few days ago).

MCR247

Established Member
I can't see Ripley happening, a bit far isnt it?

CallySleeper

Established Member
Too far IMO. It would be like extending the Hucknall line to Mansfield, and further than extending the Toton line to Derby.

21C101

Established Member
Are there any proposals for the Great Central to extend half a mile from Ruddington to a NET interchange at Ruddington Lane?

bangor-toad

Are there any proposals for the Great Central to extend half a mile from Ruddington to a NET interchange at Ruddington Lane?

The idea was mooted when the NET extension was being planned. A Google search throws up this:

rudd2.jpg

But it's from a website that hasn't been updated in rather a long time.

From visiting the area there seems to be no fundamental reason why it can't be done. Just wave the magic cash and time wand and it'll appear :lol:
Seriously though, there are no particularly expensive engineering issues to deal with, just a lot of mud to move, and the alignment is clear of development. I expect it will be done but as edwin_m says, the Loughborough end and getting the bridge sorted out is going to take priority.

Cheers,
Mr Toad

21C101

Established Member
The idea was mooted when the NET extension was being planned. A Google search throws up this:

rudd2.jpg

But it's from a website that hasn't been updated in rather a long time.

From visiting the area there seems to be no fundamental reason why it can't be done. Just wave the magic cash and time wand and it'll appear :lol:
Seriously though, there are no particularly expensive engineering issues to deal with, just a lot of mud to move, and the alignment is clear of development. I expect it will be done but as edwin_m says, the Loughborough end and getting the bridge sorted out is going to take priority.

Cheers,
Mr Toad

I think there is an environmental problem to overcome in that the infilled cutting is an SSSI or similar which could be quite thorny but if the local authority is supportive probably not insurmountable, thanks for the above, would be nice if there was more but as you say they won't want to distract from Loughborough. Hopefully, as with the bluebell ardingly extension work is going on in the background to ensure that nothing in the future will prevent it occuring.

Last edited:

duffield

Established Member
A couple of observations from the last few days:
Buffer stops at station street replaced with removable stop signs.
Small unpowered trolley apparently being used to scrape accumulated crud out of the rail groove in the Arkwright street area (evidence of displaced crud seen next to rails).
Some barriers removed at/around line 2/3 junction (end of Queens walk), other metal temporary fencing/barriers replaced with easily moved plastic barriers.
Must be nearly ready for the first test tram...

Last edited:

brianthegiant

They need to sack a few more for the same offence.
Last week, I was walking through Broadgate Park in Beeston, and there were two construction workers sat on the grass, smoking cannabis.
On another occasion (same place), I observed a group of them drinking lager from cans.

What is wrong with workers relaxing with a beer after work? on German construction sites it's common to organise a case of beer to drink after work.
If they are drinking beer from cans in the park, I suspect that means they are working for minimum wage & having to count the pennies. Sorry if it offends middle class observers.

As for the cannabis, that does far less harm to society than drinking, just that alcohol os socially acceptable for historical reasons, if alcohol were a newly discovered drug it would probably also be criminalised if the same criteria were applied.

If you had evidence that workers were going back on site after drink & drugs in this case that would be another thing entirely.

Enhanced Tram Timetable starts 26th August. 10minute daytime 15minute evening frequency on each branch 7 days a week.

duffield

Established Member
The bridge across Station street is now open to pedestrians, allowing access between the Railway Station footbridge and the 'old' (i.e. currently in use) tram stop without going down to street level. This also gives better views of the main tram bridge from the top.

http://www.thetram.net/news/1/pedestrian-bridge-reopens/
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As of yesterday, track on the Beeston/Chillwell line is now continuous in both directions from the junction with the Clifton/Wilford line to Clayton's Canal bridge (not implying that road surfacing is complete etc.).

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'm rather surprised that bridge link has been kept, since the new tram stop will be accessed via the concourse. The station was intended to be operated as "closed" and keeping the tram and street access off the footbridge means positioning revenue staff there. So I was assuming both the tram link and this entrance to the station would disappear, with anyone trying to get to the station from this side either going round to the front or using the existing tramstop steps/lift to walk over the bridge to the station entrance at the new tramstop.

Last edited:

duffield

Established Member
I'm rather surprised that bridge link has been kept, since the new tram stop will be accessed via the concourse. The station was intended to be operated as "closed" and keeping the tram and street access off the footbridge means positioning revenue staff there. So I was assuming both the tram link and this entrance to the station would disappear, with anyone trying to get to the station from this side either going round to the front or using the existing tramstop steps/lift to walk over the bridge to the station entrance at the new tramstop.

I thought the plan was to have ticket barriers on the station footbridge, at the top of the steps up from station street, these barriers would have covered access down from the tram bridge as well. However this involved an application to permanently close the right of way that exists across the station footbridge. I saw an application notice for this closure ages ago but it may have been refused since no barriers have ever appeared...

LowLevel

Established Member
The footbridge is part of footpath 28 and is a public right of way, the order to close that was declined. I'm not sure if further developments will take place but that's why there are currently no barriers. I believe there is consideration to a new footbridge being provided at the east end of the station as well.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The footbridge is part of footpath 28 and is a public right of way, the order to close that was declined. I'm not sure if further developments will take place but that's why there are currently no barriers. I believe there is consideration to a new footbridge being provided at the east end of the station as well.

That's ironic because up until around 1988 the public right of way was over another footbridge (with no platform access) at the east end of the station. The right of way was diverted onto the current route, and the north side steps that had been removed at some point, so the other bridge could be demolished. I take it the right of way now runs along platform 7 and out through the car drop-off - I seem to recall it was diverted to allow the car park to be built.

Getting back on topic, it's a shame that the south ramp of the tram bridge seems to be forbidden to pedestrians. A footway there would improve access to the tramstop from the northern Meadows area and proposed developments just south of the station, as well as being a possible alternative for the right of way.

brianthegiant

wow, might carry a copy of the definitive rights of way map for next time I'm stopped for a ticket when crossing this bridge..

Status
Not open for further replies.