• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail's vegetation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bishop

Well if low adhesion is attributed to the Fisherton tunnel accident then maybe, just maybe, NR will finally grasp the nettle and get the excessive trees and vegetation under control on our network. It’s a disgrace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Well if low adhesion is attributed to this accident then maybe, just maybe, NR will finally grasp the nettle and get the excessive trees and vegetation under control on our network. It’s a disgrace.
Speculation but I totally agree. In fairness to NR though, I really think they would like to be more aggressive on vegetation control but then you get others whining and moaning about cutting down trees etc. so they back off.

Annetts key

Established Member
Speculation but I totally agree. In fairness to NR though, I really think they would like to be more aggressive on vegetation control but then you get others whining and moaning about cutting down trees etc. so they back off.
I think money, or rather, the lack of it, coupled with only being allowed to fell trees outside the nesting bird season are the main problems.

alf

On Moderation
Well if low adhesion is attributed to this accident then maybe, just maybe, NR will finally grasp the nettle and get the excessive trees and vegetation under control on our network. It’s a disgrace.

Agreed.

And in view of posts here that rail head treatment had been cancelled this RAIB comment in a very serious SPD overrun at Esher 55 miles up the line in 2004 seems highly relevant.

54. While not relevant to the SPAD at Esher, it occasionally happens that lines scheduled for rail head treatment do not receive it. To address this, Network Rail and the TOCs operate a system that provides a warning to drivers when they sign on duty if scheduled rail head treatment has not been undertaken.

Network Rail seems to have a lot to answer, far more than their Mr Frobisher’s early incorrect press comments.

TheEdge

Established Member

This has happened in Norfolk recently. It looked like NR had got a bulk discount on some Agent Orange and had gone on a war with anything with leaves. As far as I was concerned as a driver, excellent. However the local papers all ran with it as a vicious attack on local nature.

w0033944

This has happened in Norfolk recently. It looked like NR had got a bulk discount on some Agent Orange and had gone on a war with anything with leaves. As far as I was concerned as a driver, excellent. However the local papers all ran with it as a vicious attack on local nature.
I wasn't aware of this - then again, since Covid, we've only had the Evening News twice a week.

TheEdge

Established Member
I wasn't aware of this - then again, since Covid, we've only had the Evening News twice a week.

I don't know if it ever made the print versions but it hit the FB pages. People of Yarmouth Road claimed their privacy was violated and people in Cromer were complaining about all the rare birds.

w0033944

I don't know if it ever made the print versions but it hit the FB pages. People of Yarmouth Road claimed their privacy was violated and people in Cromer were complaining about all the rare birds.
I'm not a fan of cutting back or netting trees/hedgerows in case a housing development gets the green light, but this is a matter of safety, so, unfortunately, it must be done.

John Bishop

Then that’s NR‘s PR department’s responsibility to highlight the safety case for cutting the vegetation and the reasons for doing so. It’s no use hiding behind any excuse. Just look at the nasty incident at my depot where a train struck a fallen tree recently and the driver was injured and had the potential to be so much worse but for sheer luck. Inaction by NR after a survey highlighted these trees as high risk in this incident was disgraceful.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Same happened at Hadley Wood, and NR begun to replant a lot of trees that were cut back. To be honest, it DID look like overkill and the cutting was done quite some distance from the ECML, but whatever the specifics - there was a backlash from the community to try and stop NR cutting back vegetation and trees - and by the sound of it, this is commonplace all over the country.

Another form of NIMBYism because I'm sure most people wouldn't mind trees being cut down elsewhere (in reality, I suspect a lot of people aren't that concerned about the environmental issues)

bramling

Veteran Member
Same happened at Hadley Wood, and NR begun to replant a lot of trees that were cut back. To be honest, it DID look like overkill and the cutting was done quite some distance from the ECML, but whatever the specifics - there was a backlash from the community to try and stop NR cutting back vegetation and trees - and by the sound of it, this is commonplace all over the country.

Another form of NIMBYism because I'm sure most people wouldn't mind trees being cut down elsewhere (in reality, I suspect a lot of people aren't that concerned about the environmental issues)

If Network Rail have spare tree-cutting capacity, they're more than welcome to come and cut down the large beech tree outside my house, which the council refuse to do anything about, and one day is no doubt going to send a branch through my roof.

We have a funny attitude to trees in this country. Much as I like trees and *hate* seeing them cut down, safety has to come first.

BrianW

Established Member
There was someone on the Today Prog on Radio 4 this morning who had authored a report on railside treework a couple of years ago. Important to also note perhaps the role vegetation has in holding slopes together against huge runoff- thinking of that big landslip that closed the Chiltern mainline in Warks/ North Oxon some years back (Harbury?). Carmont also comes to mind- noting the chalky looking 'scar' on the north side of the cutting 1971?

Moonshot

Established Member
If Network Rail have spare tree-cutting capacity, they're more than welcome to come and cut down the large beech tree outside my house, which the council refuse to do anything about, and one day is no doubt going to send a branch through my roof.

We have a funny attitude to trees in this country. Much as I like trees and *hate* seeing them cut down, safety has to come first.
Cutting down trees might seem to be the answer......but invariably there is a trade off. Trees do provide a method of soaking up excess water on cuttings and embankment.....as well as landslide stability and shade during hot periods.

On Moderation
Then that’s NR‘s PR department’s responsibility to highlight the safety case for cutting the vegetation and the reasons for doing so. It’s no use hiding behind any excuse. Just look at the nasty incident at my depot where a train struck a fallen tree recently and the driver was injured and had the potential to be so much worse but for sheer luck. Inaction by NR after a survey highlighted these trees as high risk in this incident was disgraceful.
Exactly. If some people want to get upset by this, photos of the Salisbury accident are a stark reminder that this isn’t about trees or things living in them. Had the SWR train been a little earlier or 1F27 been a shade earlier, we’d likely be talking about a double collision with deaths resulting.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianW

Established Member

Another programme on Radio 4 , yesterday lunchtime- about trees in Sheffield. People love 'em- you'd think they, like us, will never die. Swampy lives on.

w0033944

Can anyone provide any of that pesky little thing -- evidence -- that suggests NR isn't cutting down enough trees?
I think it depends on how you define "cutting down enough trees" - unless they're actually fouling the loading guage you can argue that they're not a problem, but there's a reason the steam era railway had very few trees within railway property boundaries, and it wasn't entirely to do with fires.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
The problem with vegetation management (i.e. trees), is that both Railtrack and most local authorites are penny wise and pound foolish. The only things that get "cut-back" are the budgets to deal with trees until they grow so big they become an (expensive) nuisance.

Properly managed trees look really good, (whether prunded or pollarded, etc.), ones that are left to their own devices (at least those not growing in a park or the middle of a field), are a damn nuisance. Shrubs too benefit from being managed and it could be argued that they become more attractive to nesting birds in this case?

Next time you are driving along a tree-lined suburban road, have a look at how many trees have a "double-decker" shaped hole through the overhanging branches, its ridiculous.

Ediswan

Established Member
Cutting down trees might seem to be the answer......but invariably there is a trade off. Trees do provide a method of soaking up excess water on cuttings and embankment.....as well as landslide stability and shade during hot periods.
There was an item on R4 this morning discussing the pros and cons of clearing lineside vegetation (begins at 2:45:20): https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0011494

dosxuk

Established Member
Showing the general public photos of how it used to be I.e. not trees everywhere.

And how many of the general public are going to think it looks better with the trees and bushes? Unless you actually understand the risk of leaf fall on the rails, people will just be looking at it from an aesthetic viewpoint.

w0033944

And how many of the general public are going to think it looks better with the trees and bushes? Unless you actually understand the risk of leaf fall on the rails, people will just be looking at it from an aesthetic viewpoint.
This is where explanation has to be almost patronisingly basic to make it clear to people that cutting down trees on railway property isn't just vandalism, but actually has a critical safety function.

irish_rail

Established Member
Not to mention the trees that have nearly killed drivers over the years just by falling across the line (43041 at Lavington springs to mind)
About time NR got serious with removing all vegetation from along the routes and plant some forests in some of the many many bland empty fields this country possesses (away from railway lines)

YorkshireBear

Established Member
They do but that also causes problems on our oversteep earthworks, built before geotechnics was a discipline in its own right really. So the constant changes in water content between seasons actually causes massive problems in certain (and frequent situations).

There isnt not a yes no answer with regards to earthworks stability, depends on the soil, geometry and type of tree. Hence you find regional variances in engineer's opinions as it can depend on the predominant geology of their patch!

boing_uk

This has been discussed at length on here before, but trees do NOT provide any form of slope stability - especially large trees.

The root ball is generally shallow and spreads only as far as the crown. The tree itself, particularly on a slope acts typically as a giant lever and can dislodge a fair amount of material if it moves.

Also another myth; trees CAN be worked on, trimmed or cut down at any time of year as long as the area being worked on has been identified as clear of nesting birds by a licensed environmental contractor.

w0033944

They do but that also causes problems on our oversteep earthworks, built before geotechnics was a discipline in its own right really. So the constant changes in water content between seasons actually causes massive problems in certain (and frequent situations).

There isnt not a yes no answer with regards to earthworks stability, depends on the soil, geometry and type of tree. Hence you find regional variances in engineer's opinions as it can depend on the predominant geology of their patch!
Perhaps those areas in which smaller managed trees and bushes by the lineside are advantageous AND which are away from block post or junction signals can be dealt with differently from those areas where railhead conditions are the most important consideration?

JKF

Alternativery, you get residents demanding NR fell trees, then take matters into their own hands:

WatcherZero

Established Member
This has been discussed at length on here before, but trees do NOT provide any form of slope stability - especially large trees.

Empirical lab testing has found that trees do indeed increase slope stability with the largest effect at around 30 degrees and up until a 60 degree incline is reached, for slopes at or in excess of 60 degrees then trees may indeed be detrimental.

Signal Head

The root ball is generally shallow and spreads only as far as the crown. The tree itself, particularly on a slope acts typically as a giant lever and can dislodge a fair amount of material if it moves.
And then you need a Jenny Agutter and some red, er, 'undergarments'.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Those whining should have no say in safe operation of the railway. They will have all chosen to live next a railway line. We are lucky that no one is dead due to the utter failure of NR & its predecessors to deal with this issue.

Tough. They chose to live next to a railway line.

Tough. They chose to live next to a railway line.
Agreed.

And in view of posts here that rail head treatment had been cancelled this RAIB comment in a very serious SPD overrun at Esher 55 miles up the line in 2004 seems highly relevant.

54. While not relevant to the SPAD at Esher, it occasionally happens that lines scheduled for rail head treatment do not receive it. To address this, Network Rail and the TOCs operate a system that provides a warning to drivers when they sign on duty if scheduled rail head treatment has not been undertaken.

Network Rail seems to have a lot to answer, far more than their Mr Frobisher’s early incorrect press comments.

I hope the driver or their union sued those who failed to do anything about it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.