• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Brent Cross West (Thameslink) station

class717

Well the drivers were told they could stop at the new station if they wanted to practice quite a few months ago, although not many if any at all did, for the reasons you said

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Or drivers on ECS trains getting a braking point in place for when they actually have to start stopping there in service...

There is what will become the platform starting signal on the up slow, with a position light controlling an entrance to Cricklewood depot goods road (the area was resignalled recently). It isn’t that unusual for GTRs to be checked down there.

Well the drivers were told they could stop at the new station if they wanted to practice quite a few months ago, although not many if any at all did, for the reasons you said

Yes, that doesn’t sound very advisable (especially if not ECS)! The mind boggles as to why anyone thought that would be a sensible thing to suggest drivers do.

bnc2018

My train to St Albans this evening had Brent Cross as one of the stops both on the PIS and in the announcements - we even had a "we will shortly be arriving at Brent Cross West" as we sped through

cle

Established Member
Although a 4 platform station are Cambridge South may beat Belfast.
Sadly not two islands though!

OOC will be coming before too long, and that is many islands, per Reading :)

class717

My train to St Albans this evening had Brent Cross as one of the stops both on the PIS and in the announcements - we even had a "we will shortly be arriving at Brent Cross West" as we sped through
Someone’s got a bit ahead of themselves with the codes then, it’s been in the database since the December 2022 change.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Brent Cross West to open on 10 December 2023.
Brent Cross West station will be the first major new mainline station in London in over a decade
Brent Cross West station is a fundamental part of the ambitious Brent Cross Cricklewood Regeneration Programme, and essential to the regeneration of the area.
The station will provide a gateway to north London’s new park town, Brent Cross Town, with trains from central London taking as little as 12 minutes. There will also be direct links to Luton international airport and connections with Eurostar services from St Pancras.
The Brent Cross West rail project is not limited to a new station. A new overbridge will give pedestrians and cyclists the ability to cross this part of the Midland Main Line for the first time since it was built more than 150 years ago, linking communities on both sides of the station.

Other features include new sidings to replace a facility that dated back to the 1860s, and a new train drivers’ and staff centre which has been built by the sidings, with a crossing built for safe access.

To date, over 100 Barnet residents have been employed on the project, with 20% of the workforce from Barnet and neighbouring Brent and Camden boroughs. Offering new opportunities to local people from a range of backgrounds and through a range of routes has been a core ambition across the whole programme.

The new station and associated rail works are being funded as part of a £419 million government funding agreement which Barnet Council has secured through close collaboration with Central Government partners from the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, HM Treasury and the Greater London Authority.

The station received full planning consent from Barnet Council’s Planning Committee on 13 May 2020. Read more here.

Opening Brent Cross West

Brent Cross West will be operational from Sunday 10 December 2023.

Exciting times ahead, Brent Cross West will probably have one of the most frequent services out of any of the new stations so far this decade.

H&I

Will be from start of service Sunday Dec 10th so about 06:45 into town and 07:00 out of town official opening being published operationally from 06:30 rather than Saturday night into Sunday last trains before maintenance gap
Do we have anything official on this? Realtimetrains shows passenger calls as early as 00:07 on 10 December.

Supercoss

(Internal publication) weekly operation notice shows entry into service from start of service Sunday 10th so From 06:30 onwards.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Eastern entrance of the station - looks quite nice but looks like possibly two lifts just to get up to the walkway level? Or perhaps the exit to the walkway is on the other side?

Attachments

• IMG20231125120218.jpg
    IMG20231125120218.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 224

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Eastern entrance of the station - looks quite nice but looks like possibly two lifts just to get up to the walkway level? Or perhaps the exit to the walkway is on the other side?
I think there’s a future access through either side of the eastern box into other developments not yet started, that will build round the present box structure. I believe the exit towards the station and over to the western entrance will be on the other side of that vertical concrete box, ie the lift cars will be double ended.

I found an architect’s summary, link below, if you scroll down to the third picture then it’s showing a middle level area which is presumably why the stairs and escalators also have an intermediate level, ie the escalators aren’t continuous.

The location of the eastern entrance will open new opportunities to the lower levels of the future adjacent plots where Studio Egret West and shedkm are both architects for the buildings on either side. Together, these two buildings will provide around 350,000sqft of office space, with temporary hoarding to either side of the eastern entrance to be erected in preparation for their future construction and for the safety of users.

Edvid

Established Member
Looks like the first bus route to serve the station will be the 316.

Extension of route 316 to Brent Cross West Station - 10 December 2023​

From Sunday 10 December route 316 will be extended from Cricklewood Bus Garage to Brent Cross West Station.

Route 316 will run beyond Cricklewood Bus Garage via Edgware Road and Geron Way to terminate opposite the western entrance to the new Brent Cross West national rail station.

Route 316 will continue to run every 8 minutes during the daytime on Monday to Saturdays and every 12 minutes during the evening and all day on Sundays.

Times of first buses will be 0515 from White City Bus Station and 0508 (0503 on Sundays) from Brent Cross West Station

Times of last buses will be 0009 from White City Bus Station and 2400 from Brent Cross West Station

The consultation report mentioned issues in relation to the Geron Way footway and bus terminus, so they must have been sorted out.

I'm surprised the 189 wasn't mentioned in the latest update; a turnback was created to enable an interim dogleg along Parkview Avenue / Arbour Street and fresh bus stops have long been present on the latter.

cle

Established Member
Isn't the 189 on the other side? 316 is a funny one, because it quite was a random bus route when first launched - nowhere to nowhere - and then Westfield opened and it was slammed. Good to see this - I would have thought it could just extend to Brent Cross now.

Edvid

Established Member
Yes, the 316 and 189 will serve opposite sides of the station.

Supercoss

Curiously on opening day , the slow lines are closed until 09:30 so the first trains will use platform 3 & 4.
official ceremony expected mid Morning rather than 1st train time 06:47

TheHSRailFan

Curiously on opening day , the slow lines are closed until 09:30 so the first trains will use platform 3 & 4.
official ceremony expected mid Morning rather than 1st train time 06:47
Sounds fun. I have no work shifts that day so this will be intresting with who waits around with that

H&I

I tried to access the station from Claremont Way, but I could not get anywhere close to the station. I had to catch the 102 and then the 266 to get round to the Staples Corner side of the station. It looks like the only entrance that will be open initially is on the western side.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
I tried to access the station from Claremont Way, but I could not get anywhere close to the station. I had to catch the 102 and then the 266 to get round to the Staples Corner side of the station. It looks like the only entrance that will be open initially is on the western side.
Unless they've closed it in the last few days, you can get through by going through Claremont Park (see my photo from Sunday in post 223 above)

Edvid

Established Member
There's a map of Brent Terrace (South) - Tilling Road routes to help put it in perspective, though as @absolutelymilk says the park should be an option from further east (in opening hours). There's no access to the eastern entrance overnight (2000-0530) before opening day.

I'm guessing you tried to use the new road that separates Claremont Park from the main construction site. Access to that stretch looks to be restricted to authorised persons for a good while; perhaps not even the 189 will be allowed to use it in the short term.

----- posted on 4 December (automerge) -----

Some details on goings-on planned for opening day. (Note - first arrival time looks to be an error unless schedules have changed.)

WELCOME TO BRENT CROSS WEST​

December 4, 2023

Brent Cross West will open its doors on Sunday 10 December, and we invite you to have a look at the stunning new station and be a part of a historical day.

Brent Cross West Opening Day

For the early birds, you can come see the first train which is scheduled to arrive at the platforms at 6.39am, train schedules can be found here. Whilst you’re there, you can enjoy a warm cup of coffee from our local retailer Cricklewood Coffee Roasters, who will have a pop-up stall for the day. There will be snacks and bites provided by local retailers for you to grab throughout the day, more details will be shared soon.

Don’t miss out on performances by local steel band JustIn Carnival and an Oompa band who will be playing from 10.30am and in the afternoon.

An official moment to mark the opening of the station will be scheduled for around 11.30am and joined by the Leader of the Council, Councillor Barry Rawlings and Mayor of Barnet, Councillor Nagus Narenthira.

We also have a small programme of activities taking place throughout the day, starting from 10am. Activities include multiple free workshops for drawing, storytelling, biscuit decorating, postcard and bookmarks making, and more. Exhibition boards will be displayed in the station for those of you who are interested in the history of the area and the making of the new station.

You will also have the chance to see the brilliant community artwork created by local artist Elisa Cantarelli, with the help of locals from Barnet and Brent. This artwork will be displayed and unveiled on the station overbridge, which will give access across this part of the Midland Main Line for the first time since it was built more than 150 years ago, making it much easier to get around the area.

Over at the eastern entrance, you will be able to see the colourful architectural panel designed by Giles Round, which was newly unveiled and is surrounded by scenic planting and benches.

We hope you can come along to celebrate with us Barnet Council’s newest station, and bring with you friends, families or neighbours who would love to see the new station.

Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
Station opened earlier. Over-running engineering work affecting services though.

Edvid

Established Member
Got on the first southbound train, which was meant to be the second train to call at BCZ.

Was delayed by 15+ mins and still got there before the first northbound one!

dlj83

BDC01599-791C-4AB8-B63D-85896F133E73.jpegE1F8A27B-51AE-4922-BD8A-0C6DD9524401.jpeg

Yes there was an opening ceremony, however it’s not the first new mainline station in London in a decade.