• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New dedicated BVE forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengley

Established Member
Hey guys. I've noticed a tradition within BVE - all of the forums and websites in the community seem to close down after short periods of being open. I'm fed up of it myself. I'm just a user of openBVE - I have never developed anything for it, however I have moderated forums in the past and thought I'd have a go at making a desperately needed BVE forum. The official openBVE forum is the only decent forum available to the BVE community since the closure of TSC, BVE-T and BVE-RT, however I felt, and some people will probably agree, that an independent forum not connected to the developer of the program should be there for people to use.

In the past there have been too many low quality forums around at once and this is my attempt to put a stop to that.

http://bveforums.co.cc

It's a temporary domain - everything has been put together in the last few hours. Expect the layout and theme to change and the domain to change to .co.uk in the coming weeks.

I hope you will register and help to kick start the community (of which there isn't any yet) and help me grow my forum into something extraordinary!

Many thanks,

Ben Elias (Bengley)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Turbostar

Good idea Ben, be nice to see how long this one lasts though. I can see where you're coming from, especially after what's been happening lately with the BVE community. Just worried that when certain individuals end up on your new forum, not naming names as I'm not in a position to name & shame, all hell will break loose yet again due to the unreasonable behaviour of said certain individuals messing it up & ruining it for everyone else. But good luck anyway, lets keep our fingers crossed.

bengley

Established Member
Good idea Ben, be nice to see how long this one lasts though. I can see where you're coming from, especially after what's been happening lately with the BVE community. Just worried that when certain individuals end up on your new forum, not naming names as I'm not in a position to name & shame, all hell will break loose yet again due to the unreasonable behaviour of said certain individuals messing it up & ruining it for everyone else. But good luck anyway, lets keep our fingers crossed.

Don't worry, I can take quite a lot of pressure, should be OK!

Pumbaa

Established Member
Out of interest whats wrong with the OpenBVE forum? Having one that is not independent isn't a downside, it's very much an upside in my opinion.

I just wouldn't bother to be brutally honest, the 'community' has destroyed itself inside out thanks to certain individuals, there is no need nor any real benefit in opening up another board, it will simply fuel and re-ignite people/arguments (again) and the whole sorry business will repeat itself needlessly.

The future lies with openBVE/TrainSimFramework, keep it all in one place and keep it over there.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
The forum would be better if it were not independent, and run by someone who knows what is going on, and is a firm admin. The openBVE forum offers that, and is run by someone who doesn't take any crap! In any case, what do you offer that the last 5 forums didn't?

guillyman

Nice to see that Bengley adopts the polite approach by announcing his forums within other forums without seeking permission first. Poor form Bengley! It was you who did exactly the same thing at BVE Terminus, which sparked the whole conflict off regarding BRT.

What can I say? Obviously wish you well with what you believe is the answer, but cannot help feeling that without anybody with "clout" and credibility at the helm, nor any appreciation of the true crap which is going on within the BVE community, that you are doomed to failure.

As frankly Openbve is, with developers of add-ons for it dropping like flies.

Just my opinion...

Pumbaa

Established Member
Nice to see that Bengley adopts the polite approach by announcing his forums within other forums without seeking permission first. Poor form Bengley! It was you who did exactly the same thing at BVE Terminus, which sparked the whole conflict off regarding BRT.

What can I say? Obviously wish you well with what you believe is the answer, but cannot help feeling that without anybody with "clout" and credibility at the helm, nor any appreciation of the true crap which is going on within the BVE community, that you are doomed to failure.

As frankly Openbve is, with developers of add-ons for it dropping like flies.

Just my opinion...

There should never have been any conflict with the re-opening of BRT, it was perfectly possible for forums to co-exist alongside one another. Going in heavy handed after those responsible for attempting to preserve/promote the simulator is not the answer, was never the answer and should never be the answer.

The only people left with any 'credibility' in the now defunct BVE community either walked away long ago or do not wish for it to be resurrected, realising the whole situation will just hurtle towards oblivion. With the condition above laid down by yourself, no BVE forum is going to re-open.

openBVE/TSF have long indicated their primary aim is manufacture a functional platform first, before turning to make it developer friendly. If you don't like TSF, try BVE5 although both suffer the same problem. Give it time (at least a few years) before we can see any real improvements in developer ease.

WinterChief

There should never have been any conflict with the re-opening of BRT, it was perfectly possible for forums to co-exist alongside one another. Going in heavy handed after those responsible for attempting to preserve/promote the simulator is not the answer, was never the answer and should never be the answer.

The only people left with any 'credibility' in the now defunct BVE community either walked away long ago or do not wish for it to be resurrected, realising the whole situation will just hurtle towards oblivion. With the condition above laid down by yourself, no BVE forum is going to re-open.

I also agree. Bengley (or anyone else) should be allowed to create his own forum if he feels it has the demand without being shot down. It is not always the case about 'credibility'. Maybe Bengley as a user or developer of BVE feels he would like to make a place for discussion? Somewhere that is not riddled with corruption.

I mean, how did RailUk start, one assumes they did not have any 'credible' people to start this. They were a group of people with like minded views who wanted to start a place for discussion, which has become massive. Which is what is happening here - just for BVE.

Hobby expansion should be endorsed by those contained inside it.

Pumbaa

Established Member
I also agree. Bengley (or anyone else) should be allowed to create his own forum if he feels it has the demand without being shot down. It is not always the case about 'credibility'. Maybe Bengley as a user or developer of BVE feels he would like to make a place for discussion? Somewhere that is not riddled with corruption.

I mean, how did RailUk start, one assumes they did not have any 'credible' people to start this. They were a group of people with like minded views who wanted to start a place for discussion, which has become massive. Which is what is happening here - just for BVE.

Hobby expansion should be endorsed by those contained inside it.

This is true, but I don't know the circumstances of the formation of RailUK.

The problem with this proposal is that it tries to do what has been done time and time again, and has ultimately failed time and time again. Yes it should be done to continue the hobby, but while certain people/attitudes/problems remain it simply won't happen.

Somewhere already exists for the hobby to expand, the TSF forums. The problems are not allowed to be brought onto there, the admin is firm and fair.

I was referring to guillyman's point that he thinks someone at the helm needs clout and credibility. I don't agree with this, but I don't think any more BVE forums should open. It will only fracture and divide people further, served by selfish and narrow minded individuals. Bengley's proposal would work and I would endorse it if the 'community' wasn't in such a mess.

es373

Bengley... Well done mate and I wish you well with your future good doings within the BVE community.

It is a shame that certain people cause controversy and I wish they would disappear from the BVE community.

Last edited:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I've got nothing against Bengley opening a forum, but I hope he knows what he will let himself in for.

bengley

Established Member
Also take into account that the official forum is an openBVE only forum. My new forum is aimed at all aspects of BVE games and the people who still play them. I may also add sections for other simulators such as railworks and metro simulator.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I mean, how did RailUk start, one assumes they did not have any 'credible' people to start this. They were a group of people with like minded views who wanted to start a place for discussion, which has become massive. Which is what is happening here - just for BVE..
Long story (and I can't always remember it myself) but basically yes, it did take a group of people to agree to start posting here. If I just made it and linked to it on other forums, it would have failed. It needs several people to be involved. I have no idea if Bengley has involved others or not but, in general, the more people you can get behind you the better and the greater the chance of success. The other suggestion I would have is that all the moderators should meet each other and know each other in person, but that's just my opinion/suggestion and I know many forums are successful without doing that.

Bengley - If you would like advice, feel free to ask me on any of the forum meets or on MSN (are you still up for doing some of the cycle rides? PM me if so).

The Snap

Established Member
Long story (and I can't always remember it myself) but basically yes, it did take a group of people to agree to start posting here.

IIRC, I was invited to join by Mr. Cairns and you yorkie all that time ago, back when the forum has about 20 members! :)

WinterChief

Well, I agree totally with what es373 has said, say no more. :-/

I totally agree. I have since been informed of what has been going on. What a shame, it seems some people need to grow up, far to silly to even go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.