• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New stock for Glasgow subway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertclark125

Established Member
The Glasgow subway has been ATO equipped since it reopened on 16th April 1980, at 06:30. Manual driving can be performed in the case of ATO failure though. Manual driving is also required to go to and from the depot via the ramps, and also in the depot roads and headshunts.

You may be interested to know the maximum line speed is 54 km/ph, and this is achieved between Cowcaddens and Buchanan Street, and also between Govan and Partick.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
You may be interested to know the maximum line speed is 54 km/ph, and this is achieved between Cowcaddens and Buchanan Street, and also between Govan and Partick.

In which direction, though? I'm sure Cowcaddens-Buchanan St takes longer than the other way (although I've never timed it). The train seems to crawl along this section. I'd have said that, in that direction, it's one of the slow bits of track.

Anyway, I welcome any investment in the Subway. It's a vital link from the West End and South Side to the City Centre. Would you like to see thousands of extra cars crawling down Great Western Road? I don't think so! The investment should prove cost-effective for SPT, as the new trains will be cheaper to run than the old rickety rolling stock, that's really showing its age.

I really do hope, however, that extending the platforms to accommodate at least four carriages (and preferably six, to allow for any future surge in demand) would be considered. Three cars in the rush hour is pushing it, and football matches and special events just overcrowd the entire system.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In theory, yes, but, there are no platform staff on Glasgow Underground either!

There are often staff at busy times and special events. I've seen them on platform for university open days and football matches and the like, simply to ensure people spread all the way down the platform and don't overcrowd the train too much. Although it's not a common sight.

Nothing to say that they wouldn't hire people to do this, or have people on the trains in a "guard" capacity. The latter suggestion would surely keep the unions happy, and as there's no real revenue protection element required (due to the barriers upstairs), they could focus fully on the safety of passengers and control of the train. But I don't think that's in the plan because it would add to the costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.